[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1324.jpg (350 KB, 828x907)
350 KB
350 KB JPG
There is a door in my apartment going to the landlords part(some dumb rule to avoid paying taxes), and I want to sound proof it, having gotten permission from the landlord.
The door is probably never gonna open, but I don’t want this to be a permanent solution as I want it to be easily removable.

wat do?
>>
>>2794985
Build a cork for the door opening.
-measure inside door jamb
-deduct 1.5" from width and height measurements
-buy a sheet of homasote (preferable) or 3/4 MDF
-cut to size
-wrap in 7/16 carpet pad using spray glue and staples
-now wrap this in short pile carpet, use glue and staples, make the seams neat
-Insert this "cork" into door opening

I've built this to augment the soundproofing ability of various doors over the years...I play music and it gets loud. For my application I've used hinges, but you can probably get away with just jamming it inside the door jamb, if the door handle doesn't get in the way
>>
Similar to the other guys suggestion but less steps and probably cheaper, buy a sheet of rigid foam insulation and cut it to fit in the doorway. You can fill in the edges with weather stripping. I think a better solution would be to put a solid core door in but that's not your problem and you don't want to start doing your landlord a bunch of free favors
>>
>>2795048
I’ll assess if this is feasible, thanks

>>2795055
The door is actually solid core. The sound is already quite muffled but there are gaps around the frame
>>
>>2795055
The secret to soundproofing is mass, and foam doesn't have a lot of that, that's where the MDF comes in. Good acoustic baffles have a good amount of heft to them.
>>2794985
I'm the cork guy from earlier. I forgot to mention mass-loaded vinyl sheet, look into it. I think the cork is the best solution tho if it works for your application. Good luck.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.