[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm working on a personal project that isn't a normal repair or assembly, and I need to go to the store and ask for help. What I need to know before I go to the store is what is the difference between a pipe and a duct and a hose. I have social anziety so I have to be prepared with a little speech that will work in the store. If I ask wrong and he just stares at me I really start to fall apart.

Pic relates is not the part I need btw.
>>
You forgot conduit
>>
>>2792461
> pipe
Is a rigid tube meant for the transport of gases or liquids (sometimes solids)

> duct
Is a tube meant for the transport of solids or gases, may be flexible, may be ridgid. The term is used way more for tubes or pipes that transport air than it is for tubes that transport liquids or other gases. “Gas duct” and “water duct” may be technically correct but to most people duct refers to a pipe or hose used to transport air

> hose
Any flexible tube used for the transport of liquids or gases (and sometimes solids)
>>
>>2792463
thanks for the detailed breakdown. I'll probably be ok, but if I run into trouble I can't imagine reciting all that to a perfect stragner. Maybe I'll reconsider the personal project and look around for one that doesn't involve a deep knowledge of technical matter.
>>
>>2792461
don't worry, the part time, minimum wage kid or mexican working at lowes won't have a clue even if you know exactly what you're looking for
>>
>>2792468
yeah this is the truth. the worker will point him to something pretty much unrelated and op wont be able to get out the poor suggestion and will buy it to then drive to a different store with a different layout completely unprepared and the situation will be 100 times worse. good luck op you shouldnt have gotten out of your pod
>>
>>2792461
find an independent hvac contractor shop and swing by on a friday afternoon (kill the clock time) and hopefully they'll have the roll up door on the shop open. introduce yourself as a fucking idiot trying to figure shit out and you'll probably get a good 5 minute course on the subject. have a sketch of what you want to do and be open to suggestions. the cost of this primer will be the shop rats will have a good laugh at your expense after you leave
>>
>>2792461
you can just ask here you aspie

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.