[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

For the last couple years, I've been keeping one of these with gas in it in my garage, like it's no big deal.

I'm starting to get the idea (Googling and skimming through some of the links) that's a really fucking retarded move, and I'm having trouble coming to terms with that.

I'm hoping people here can convince, me it's not that stupid or it's not even bad so I don't feel like a total fucking jackass with these mistakes like I do all the time.
>>
>>2791903
You’re not the only person with gas in the garage. I try to keep mine close to the garage door away from any electrical stuff.
>>
>>2791905
Cool, and now that I'm thinking about it I will definitely place it in a more strategic place.
>>
>>2791903
Flammable liquid containers go in a shitty sheetmetal cabinet in an outbuilding. Powder and primers go in a less shitty double-walled cabinet with some desiccant packs
>>
>>2791908
I would add the biggest thing IME is temp changes. I have an attached garage so it only swings up and down like 10 degrees. If you have a hotbox garage that’s going from 50F at night to 120F during the day, I would be a little bit more weary. I’ve seen those plastic gas cans start to split along the seams.

But as I said earlier, you could be ultra safe and store it in a shed 200yds from your home, but realistically like half of all houses have some gasoline in their garage. Be smart about it if you’re going to keep it there, don’t let the vapors build up right next to your circuit breaker panel with a glownut or sparky spark melting breaker.
>>
>>2791921
Now that you mention it, I will monitor temps. I may consider putting it in my shed, it's just more of a hassle to go fetch it and put it back there probably like 100 FT from our house.

I might go back and forth but when I know it's getting hot out, put it back in the shed and colder times keep it in garage.

I am going to re-arrange and put it a bit farther from flammable things if in my garage.
>>
>>2791912
Gas is in the garage like everyone else's. Powder is on the reloading bench toward the back, primers are in the drawer under the ashtray that I stole from McDonald's in 1993 for the express purpose of having one for when I'm reloading.
>>
>>2791923
>Gas is in the garage like everyone else's.

Not I since I have a yard. I leave my cans tucked discreetly in da shrubs. My propane cylinders etc go in a plastic trash can with a lid next to them where I also store engine oil and coolant jugs. Handy as fuck and thieves have no interest in trash cans.
>>
They don’t want anyone storing gas for the reason that people would loose a daily dependance on it.
That’s why it contains metallic catalysts—to ensure it will eventually “go bad” when exposed to oxygen and gel up to dissuade anyone from storing it.

Lots if people have propane, butane, turpintine, paint stripper, BBQ starting fluid, methanol gas line anti-freeze, -50 C windshield wiper fluid (50% methanol), alkyd paint, lacquer and lacquer thinner, acetone nail polish remover, hairspray, etc, etc, ad nauseam, lying around, some of which, is more flammable than gas. Even new refrigerators and freezers have flammable freon running through them).
>>
>>2792124
Ironically thanks to carb rules newer gas cans are pretty well sealed
Or you can store gas in old school jerry cans but they're kinda a pain in the ass
>>
>>2792124
Freon is not flammable. Specify the chemical you mean.

https://lando-chillers.com/flammable-refrigerants/
>>
File: 20240206_234205.jpg (335 KB, 740x1913)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
>>2793551
the jew fears flammable freon
>>
>>2792124
BTW all the other shit you list is also stupid to store indoors in other than tiny quantities so I don't. There's no reason to fuel a residence fire which if smallish I'm equipped to extinguish.

Storing shit away from stuff it may threaten is extremely easy and only takes thought, just like doing hot work away from things it may ignite.
>>
>>2791903
Guilty of the gas can as well but that is because of a snow blower, which I just replaced with a electric this spring. 20lb Propane is the only gas I suggest still storing if you can help it. That has 10x more uses for me now.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.