[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2024-04-19_10-37-11.jpg (1.34 MB, 2592x1944)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
Birthday was a week ago. Went ahead and got a new pair of boots out of the attic that I've been hoarding for a while. Got tired of my socks getting soaked every time I got in water up to the sole of my boot. Probably still wear the old ones when I'm not irrigating and it's dry, or at the shop to get a bit more wear out of them... Fringy things on the new boots were cut off on day 1.

Any tips to keep the soles from cracking around where the leather stitches to them? That seems to be the placed where water intrusion starts. Should I put a fat bead of urethane windshield adhesive on my old ones and see if I can waterproof em again?

Also workboot thread. Post em up.
>>
File: ObenaufDuo_1001x1001.jpg (53 KB, 1001x1001)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP is what I use
I go heavy at the sole to leather junction since that's where I tend to crack boots.
>>
>>2791892
usually a good boot conditioner or grease will do good with keeping out unwanted water from the stitching with regular maintenance.

I have a 3 year old pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers on me.

I have been thinking of getting new modern Red Wings with steel or composite toes and whatnot then send my iron rangers to be resoled and whatnot. I hate how it takes like up to 2 months to be resoled and conditioned when I will still need to use them in the meantime.
>>
I apprenticed under a master shoemaker for a while. Legendary among the local biker groups for his excellent leather work. He didn't like Red Wings or Danners -- he said it was about their build quality or repairability something but I never got the chance to see what he meant. Anyway, I trusted him and he convinced me to buy some Chippewa work boots and I never looked back. Last me many years as long as I condition the leather once in a while. Have them resoled when they get too worn.
>>
Got a pair of Redwing King Toes a few weeks ago

Digging them so far
>>
Meme'd myself into some Bearfoot Bruins since I don't need safety toes at the small shop I'm at and thought I'd try to fix my feet. It's been two weeks but I still haven't gotten used to walking all day with no padding at all.
I've had minimal or zero drop type shoes before but those have had some sort of insole and soft outsole. These boots have nothing but a thick, softish leather bottom and hard rubber outsole, so I guess I'll make some insoles. That said, they're w i d e and I do like them
>>
>>2792097
nice.

>>2791892
mink oil.

if you use something else, that has silicone, it will permanently alter the leather.
>>
>>2791892
during waning GWOT USGI boots were cheap and plentiful, and I dig the new ones with multi-layer soles with inner soft layer.

Now they are expensive, and stay away from that one model that is still cheap. Glue on soles is no good.
>>
>>2792093
>king toes
they're good boots. or at least the last pair i had were. i'm a 325 lb lardass with 15 4e feet and there's not much else out there that's as comfortable as them. i wish they were kevlar stitched because i've burned out a bunch of the stitching from air arc slag
>>
Thorogoods
They are excellent. Had em for about a year. I rub neatsfood oil into them about once a month.
>>
>>2792637
Yeah I'm a fat fuck too, size 13 tho. Only boots I've had as comfortable were Matterhorns and you're gonna pay through the nose for them
>>
>>2792744
i partially blame the hipster trend buying boots they didn't need. i wanted to get a set of custom molded sole westcoast or whites boots. they used to be about $250 in the early 00s. when i called, whites only did trace to fit and you have to buy 3 pairs at $600 ea. westcoast was over a year out and charged $300 for the mold plus the boots were over $1200. work boots aren't supposed to be gucci shit
>>
whatever cheap garbage my boot voucher will cover.
About time to pick up a new pair for this year.
>>
>>2792737
>moc toe
Faggot.
>>
when the stell toe of my boot begins to show i like to weld scrap metals onto it to have epic spike boots
>>
>>2792882
damn, I remember when Wescos were like $700 for a custom pair
>>
>>2792994
Suck my balls you retard
>>
>>2792737
I bought some thorogoods but with the white sole, which turned out to be absolute dogshit and was worthless in even the most barely slippery conditions, really no traction whatsoever. They also weren't waterproof at all despite claiming to be. Really disappointing because I do really like them, they're very comfortable.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.