[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Weld.png (97 KB, 868x804)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
Any advice?
>>
sounds better than night putting
>>
That's what I did. Work during the day and then drag my ass to welding class once a week.
Not much advice, the instructor will teach you all about it.
>>
Shut up and learn.

Things that seem stupid at first you will come to understand.

Also fucking prep your shit. Buy three angle grinders now.
>>
>>2791830
if you're using mig and take a break, turn the gas back on
>>
File: tradie.jpg (13 KB, 480x360)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
there's something about welding at night that's so unwholesome
>>
>>2791830
Leave your repulsive tradie politics at home.
>>
File: yes.jpg (81 KB, 750x1000)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>2791830
>literally did this last fall, met cool people, had a great time.
Go for It, Its fun
>>
>>2791968
>nothing about politics in thread
>brings up politics
>>>/pol/
>>
>>2791830
Do it. I took a class at the local CC and I can now Stick, MIG, TIG and Flux Core weld. I can also set up and maintain the machines. Feels good man. Also the instructor, his assistant and the people in the class were all p cool. A couple guys got their certs while we were in there, which was awesome.
>>
>>2791830
>>2763067
>>
>>2791830
Don't flux core weld without a respirator. Mig and tig are only bad if you really huff the fumes or stick the inert gas line up your nose, and stick is a little more nasty, but flux core will kill you.
>>
>>2791830
Its a fun time in my experience. Had a great instructor, learned to weld, met chill people, all felons but chill ones.
>>
File: penis size by trade.jpg (588 KB, 1080x1076)
588 KB
588 KB JPG
>>2792078
speaking of that every welder i know is based af and very redpilled, but they're like total normies too.
>>2791830
highly recommended
t. works in steel fabricators.
>>
>>2792152
Huh. I wonder if this is why I got hella weird and sick during/after my welding class.
>>
>>2792152
TIGing stainless is hazardous because hexavalent chromium.

The wise read and know the hazards for whatever they work with, and work with excellent ventilation. Fume extractors are easy to make with shop vacs, carpet dryers and bounce house fans.
>>
>>2793150
While true, TIG stainless usually won't create enough hexchrome to trigger an action level (IE, OSHA won't make you wear a respirator).
I weld for a big military contractor and have alloy quals, so I go through the hexchrome safety song and dance a lot. I would personally use a respirator for anything that generates hexchrome, but our "twice as strict as OSHA" standards only make it required (along with extra cleanliness standards, HEPA filtered ventilation, coveralls, and a danger taped exclusion zone) if you're welding MIG in a confined space, any stick, and any carbon arc gouging. TIG supposedly never triggers the safety measures.
I don't do flux core, but if I did, I'd be wearing a respirator the whole time.
>>
>>2793161
Frankly, I even wear a respirator for alloys that don't generate hexchrome. NiCu fumes aren't fun. Regular ass carbon steel MIG and MIG-P are the only thing I don't use a respirator for.
>>
>>2792171
>Chef
>Trade
Such skill, many trade, almost as blue collar as baristas
>>
>>2791830
the first class, find the biggest, toughest looking guy and knock him out
>>
If your rod is sticking to the plate, turn it up a few amps.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.