[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Wanting to set up an quick free-standing wall to practice spraypaint art on. Thinking of hitting up a Home Depot for a sheet of drywall and some cinder blocks to prop it up. Anyone know a better way to do it?

>inb4 vandalism
I just wanna practice and learn the medium, and figured doing it on my own property gives me the experience and practice.
>>
One thing you could try to do is get a big piece of cardboard that you have laying around and proper it up to use. How you prop it up is something that you'll have to figure out though.
>>
bump
>>
>>2789908
Get a part time job as a prep worker for a paint company, and practice at night before the walls are painted.
>>
>Thinking of hitting up a Home Depot for a sheet of drywall and some cinder blocks to prop it up. Anyone know a better way to do it?
Frame up a small wall using framing timber, and stand it upright with some T-shaped feet. Put drywall on both faces, and prime/paint them with a roller.
Not much more expensive than just the drywall sheets, and it's movable, reusable, and stable. Can't get wet though. You could add casters to wheel it into your garage.
>>
File: board.png (12 KB, 1024x768)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>2789908
get a panel, it will be a lot lighter and sturdier than drywall. get some 1x wood and screws to make feet.

also raw drywall is paper which is not what you'll be painting on even if you do art with it.

the better way is just to put a painters tarp up on your wall and floor with tape, and just screw the panel right to the wall through it. you'll be repainting the panel to reuse for more practice so why not just mount it and be done.
>>
You made a thread on whether you should buy a sheet of drywall from Home Depot? Am I interpreting this right?
>>
>>2790103
OP here, no I wanted to know what would be the best way to construct a free-standing wall for practicing spray paint art on.
>>
>>2789908
Gen X Graf writer here. You can get 4x8 cement hardibacker board. It can stay outside, no worries. You can use it to practice controlling all your caps and learning stroke length, distance etc. Then just buff it out with some kill primer for your next bomb run. It works good for a base to spray on canvas drop cloths to practice on too. Cheap ones like from harbor freight. I was dumb and learned on the street. Spent 6 months of my senior year in jail for vandalism and destruction of private property. Big ass fine too. No, it didnt stop me, I just got smarter. Enjoy it, it's addictive and a way of life.
>>
>>2790393
Bless the fuck up anon. Thanks for this tip and gonna look into it.
>>
>>2790103
the answer is no, no he should not.
>>
In order to get the shading and highlights right the spraying needs to be done in sunlight. Thats why I prefer privacy fences, school buildings and such
>>
saran wrap
>>
>>2790417
Idk if you are a toy just starting or how skilled you are, but focus on spray control first at different distances before you angle and vary distance. You will see what techniques you use for basic strokes. Start with just black whit and gray. As you grow you will see even a God writer will take a bag with no more than 9 cans. 2 of black, 2 white, 1 gray. 2 cans of primary color and 2 cans of contrast color. P cans fit great in a 20 liter day pack and have room for gloves and respirator. Strikers mops etc.. And when you have to skinny and ditch, 9 cans won't break you. Be safe. Cops aren't the threat they used to be, but dope fiends and homeless can be a problem. But some ironlak to their face can back em off pretty good.
>>
>>2790638
Not my art, never leave a link to you and your pieces, throwing or tags. Laws now will hold you responsible for all links to you and what you write. Be safe.
>>
>>2789908
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icSjSPZl01o
>>
>>2790639
I know the rules, but wanting a home wall to practice on.
>>
>>2790393
>It's a way of life
Lol no

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.