[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Muffler corrosion .jpg (863 KB, 1694x1885)
863 KB
863 KB JPG
Can this muffler be weld back into life or is it over?
>>
yeah, mig probably, but a good stick man can do it as well
>>
>>2787654
Worth it or better to buy a new muffler?
>>
>>2787709
Buy a new muffler because there is internal damage too. Mufflers are cheap with some looking. I quite enjoy welding but wouldn't bother with that scrap.
>>
Whats with the faggity background
Slap the bung back in and use flexseal muffler seal
>>
>>2787650
it can be welded and reinstalled, sure. no muffler shop would do that, not even the ones willing to save you a buck. also if you have emissions or inspection it might be rough going.

try a mom and pop muffler shop, try to get a take off that's in not awful condition. doesn't have to be exact or anything. you could also hit up the junkyard and cut yourself one from the source.
>>
File: IMG_2024-03-06_00-27-25.jpg (1.3 MB, 1944x2592)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>2787709
>Worth it or better to buy a new muffler?
How much for a new muffler? And how good are you at welding? I've welded up a lot of rotted out mufflers for tractors and other equipment, because a proper muffler replacement would cost a lot. This one for my John Deere 8630 would cost me around $475 for a new one... So I just pretty much straight piped it using the perforated pipe that was inside the muffler and then put the oval shroud back on so it filled the hole in the hood and didn't look retarded.
>>
File: IMG_2024-03-06_00-50-35.jpg (1.3 MB, 1944x2592)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>2787886
After this I cut the top section off that had holes in it and added the original top tip and exhaust flapper. Ended up making it about 6" taller than it originally was. Really didn't sound any different with it being "straight piped" than it did before with the chambered muffler.
>>
Appreciate the help guys, decided to buy a new one instead and already installed it. Cheers.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.