[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: schematic.jpg (73 KB, 1212x720)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Hello I want to make this device for my water tank based on this youtube vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D9d0umedW8
The schematic is here
However I am completely electronically illiterate, I'll have someone print a PCB based on this. But is the power source supposed to be AC or DC? That 12V2 thingy to the left
>>
Wait it has positive and negative terminals, so that's DC right? Am I retarded?
>>
>>2787457
>Am I retarded?
If you had to ask.
>>
Why do you even bother with 12V?
Nothing uses the 12V there.
Remove the 7805 and caps and run it with a 5V power supply directly.
>>
>>2787455
>But is the power source supposed to be AC or DC?
I think it's time to give up.
>>
>>2787455
the actual water pressure sensor is the black coil and you are not making that so why are you making the end that reads it and displays a vague set of lights? just buy a fucking display unit.
>>
>>2787455
>it has happened to my family many times
Has this idiot never heard of a ball valve?
>>
>>2787483
*ballcock valve
>>
>>2787455
>But is the power source supposed to be AC or DC? That 12V2 thingy to the left
12DC. If it wanted AC you'd probably see a transformer in the schematic. This looks like it's designed for a cheap wall-wart power plug or maybe a computer power supply. The 7805 and caps are just to give a nice smooth 5V from a cheap (possibly noisy) supply
>>
>>2787476
This OP, run it with a 2A USB supply or something. Additionally get TC-9520280 so you don’t need a board just to put some LEDs
>>
>>2787489
>I am completely electronically illiterate
can't find the led piece, im a thirdie and can only find a 4 bit led
>>2787476
my electronic capability stops at lego assembly. How should I wire it with a direct 5v dc?
>>
>>2787588
> How should I wire it with a direct 5v dc?

there's a pad on PCB with a red wire
it's labeled 5V, so that's +5V
ground is 2 pads to the right of that, with black wire, labeled GND

but you're not gonna be successful with this project coz you gotta program that lil computer, and that requires a whole lot of learning, and 1000 more questions
>>
>>2787588
OP
What do you want from this project? are you just looking for an indicator led or autoshutoff for a water pump?
>>
>>2787613
I can't do an autoshutoff because that would require me to tamper with the pump's circuit and a relay circuit which would definitely fuck me over
>>2787610
Oh I can do CPP just fine, I'm just totally illiterate in electronics. I'm sure I can get around programming the chip with some digging about the syntax
>>
>>2787588
>How should I wire it with a direct 5v dc?
solder the 5v and ground pads to the 5v and ground wires on a usb a plug
>>
>>2787630
But what is it that you actually desire from this circuit?
What do you want it to do for you that you see in the circuit devised by the guy in the video?
>>
>>2787610
Isn't the 5V pin used for the sensor already? Should I use the VIN pin?
>>
>>2787633
i can make a buzzer to remind myself to shut it off
>>
>>2787640
if that's all you want then just use a float valve to trigger a switch that sets the buzzer off when the water gets high enough in he tank?
>>
>>2787642
hmm it would seem using an electric float valve would be better thanks for the idea
>>
>>2787649
>electric float valve
use it to turn the pump off you flaming moron
>>
DC.but you can just use 5volt (or 9 even) for Vin. So grd to minus end of DC supply and Vin to plus end.
>>
Arduino actually is not susposed to be supplied with 5 volts except with usb. It can just directly use 12volts. Who ever put that voltage regulator there is just pure poser.
>>
idiot here. whats the point of capacitors like that shorting the circuit
>>
>>2787664
capacitors allow ac to pass through them but block dc so they filter noise from a dc supply as a low pass filter

filter frequency threshold = 1/ 2 * Pi * R * C
>>
>>2787676
>filter frequency threshold = 1/ 2 * Pi * R * C
nice work joe smartguy, showin off that fine education. now tell your student the value of R to plug into your fine equation.
>>
>>2787682
The value is nominal here, it won't really matter because dc is effectively 0Hz.
>>
>>2787639
>Isn't the 5V pin used for the sensor already?

it's the power rail
so it can connect to 1000 diff points
to power everything that needs power

>Should I use the VIN pin?

no, but you can connect your power source (+5V) at the Vin pin coz it has reverse-polarity protection
that is, it wont kill the arduino if you plug in power backwards, whereas it might kill it if you put reversed voltage on 5V pad
>>
File: big baby.jpg (54 KB, 625x358)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2787676
>they filter noise from a dc supply

true but that's not the property used in this circuit
they can act like very weak rechargeable batteries to smooth out any quick variations in DC levels
those in the know call it ''ripple rejection''
not to be confused with ''nipple rejection'' which is when babies prefer bottles
>>
>>2787731
>which is when babies prefer bottles
god, that must be crushing for the mother's self esteem lol
>>
>>2787781
misinformation from the 50s still propagates today, the same reason they cut part of your dick off.
>>
>>2787655
This.
>>2787640
Just use a float switch trigger a relay that activates the pump when the water gets lower. Like an electric toilet, come on man!
>>
You can buy actual float switches, they use a sliding metal contact on a float so that the pump doesn't turn off and on every time the water level goes down 2mm
>>
>>2787455
motorhomes and trailers use those. rip one off there.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.