[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pipboy.jpg (155 KB, 1400x1400)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
The design for this thing is so compelling, but most of it is a gaming thing. What features would you have built into it for doing real things with it while having your hands free?

Things I can think of (besides radio, mp3, clock, messaging, etc):
- Network monitoring: ping when some device just signed in to the home wifi (people are back home)
- Scanning for wifi fransmitters (bugs)
- tracking GPS
- mesh network
>>
File: runners strap.png (570 KB, 768x768)
570 KB
570 KB PNG
>>2787144
>The design for this thing is so compelling
No it isn't. If it was, everyone would be wearing one of these.

Fallout is fucking gay and bethesda has never made a good game in their lives.
>>
>>2787144
>ping when some device just signed in to the home wifi (people are back home)

this would be awesome. you'd know when to "tidy up" so to speak.
>>
File: fixedit.jpg (80 KB, 768x768)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>2787150
>>
>>2787144
A fleshlight
>>
>>2787144
Some way to find my dog whenever he gets loose.
>>
>>2787275
Post hands
>>
>>2787144
>The design for this thing is so compelling
It's an oversized screen in a plastic case that is just a worse smartphone, and looks fucking retarded. Why is that compelling?
>>
>>2787144
>bulky as shit, basically can't use that arm for anything useful
>probably rather heavy as well, further hindering the use of that arm
>large knobs that are sure to catch on stuff and activate random functions as you walk around
>useless inventory feature
PDAs were better.
>>
>>2787144
I met a guy at a car show who I had talked to on /o/ and he unironically wore one of these. Needless to say, he was a raging turbo autist. It's an enormously stupid device that does nothing a phone can't. Watching him try to explain the retarded piece of plastic on his arm to some old boomers who asked about it was endlessly amusing though.
>"Okay, so there's this video game called Fallout..."
>>
the form factor isn't particularly useful but here are some things that would be nice to have that aren't seen in the games to the best of my knowledge.

-multimeter
-oscilloscope
-copy of the pocket ref with voice search/ AI with object recognition by camera.
-rangefinder
-infrared measuring tape
-ballistic calculator
-perpetual calendar tied to gps for sunrise/sunset.
-altimeter
-programmable NFC/IR
-pulse oximeter, blood pressure cuff

That's what I've got off the top of my head.
>>
File: tricorder.jpg (164 KB, 1280x720)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>2787313
nice list, anon
particularly the pocket ref, made me think of the WikiReader device

>>2787303
>PDAs were better.
maybe a tricorder then
>>
>>2787298
Cyberdecks are cool thats why
>>
At one point inspired by Fallout 3 I bought the first ever raspberry pi along with a ping ultrasonic sensor. I wanted to make a device that could make maps on the fly, exactly like the game does when you explore.

Unfortunately the idea failed because the Pi was not capable of precise timings. Years later I used an arduino that was capable of proper timings with pwm. By this time I didn't care as much about the project.
>>
>>2787156
yeah, but it can't do landscape mode anymore
>>
>>2787144
i thought about making a version of it as some kind of an off-grid communication/computing device

maybe an E-INK android phone like a Hisense A9, and put it in a custom case with a bigger battery, small solar panel and a LORA module. maybe a small folding monopole antenna and an emergency flashlight (or just move the phone's camera and flash where they point forward so you can use it as a hand flashlight)

you can text people and run ATAK/CIVTAK on it to coordinate with people off grid. use it as a low power gps map on your wrist, stuff like that.
>>
Geiger counter
>>
>>2787144
a pipboy as presented in game/show would be complete garbage.
I was thinking something more along the lines of star wars stuff like what bounty hunters use a lot, just a screen the size of a phone with half inch depth slanted screen so its a triangular prism.
The extra depth allows for a better computing chip, storage and all of that.

As for addons, all the regular stuff, but I'd have a battery port so you could have multiple charged batteries that you swap out, that way you can go camping or something and not need electricity for it. I also envision customizable options, like adding a lazer pointer, a sparker for camp fires, compass (I'm very outdoors oriented) but really just doo dads you can add on.
Ooh, you know what I miss? Those slide out keyboards from old android phones, i'd have that instead of some shitty touch screen.
>>2787313
stuff like this guy said, really you'd be making this for professionals, not your average person. If I were to make somehting like a pipboy it'd be aimed at people going to trade schools, so you could have an electrician's version or a plumbing version, etcetera.
Those people would actually probably love it and the fact that it'd be on their forearm means they can keep their hands open.
>>
File: pokemon-watch.png (510 KB, 1200x628)
510 KB
510 KB PNG
>>2787144
The Poketetch
>>
>>2789730
that's just the apple watch garbage
>>
File: metrowatch_2.0_400x[1].png (369 KB, 400x546)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
>>2787144
only wrist apparel from a video game that's worth getting
>>
File: HZD_Explore_Blog_Focus.jpg (304 KB, 640x400)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>Pip Boy
The future is now, old man.
>>
>>2787144
>compelling
having a lump of any material that size on your arm is a massive hassle for any day-to-day activities, you're gonna bump that thing into everything
>>
File: s-l640-826815375.jpg (34 KB, 640x629)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>2787144
FYI they make wrist mounted computers for warehouse workers
they run android and connect to w/e business system the company uses via wifi
they also include a finger mounted bar code scanner to scan products quickly
>>
>>2791126
I can smell the cigarette smoke and cardboard dust already.
>>
>>2787144
Motion activated gui navigation
Lotion dispenser
Vibration
Multiple headphone jacks
Built in derringer
Thumbhole
Heating coils
Insulin injector
Electric toothbrush
>>
>>2787150
this teenaged poster mad as fuck lol whats wrong kid
>>
>>2791126
Why does the form factor of such a device have to be so thick and bulky when there are Android devices available in thin, lightweight formats?
>>
>>2787144
Basically all the stuff Garmin shoves into their watches. Optical HRM, pulse ox, stop watch and countdown timer, altimeter, barometer and compass.
>>
>>2791716
cant have slaves being comfortable
>>
>>2791716
Those things aren't big at all. In fact, that thing is supposed to be worn on the back of the hand with an elastic strap. then the scanner part is worn on the back of one of the knuckles.
>>
>>2789784
>no nixie tube
Fake and gay.
>>
>>2792761
actual in-17 tubes drain the battery too fast
>>
>>2787144
>I've got bells that jingle jangle jingle
>jingle jangle
>as I go riding merrily along
>>
>>2789784
perhaps not
>>
>>2787150
fpbp
>>
>>2787144
pip boy is a hand held pda, not a wrist mounted monstrosity. try playing a real fallout game for once in your life
>>
>>2787150
bethesda didn't make fallout, but they did make fallout gay
>>
File: 1575493455659.png (338 KB, 1308x901)
338 KB
338 KB PNG
>>2787144
>>2787150
the PIIPer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.