[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1692384303032.jpg (3.14 MB, 4032x1908)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB JPG
is there any way to repair the damage on this wood surface?
>>
>>2786696
sand it and apply poly
>>
>>2786699
thanks, checked. do you recommend i start with coarser grit then move to finer grit, or just start with finer? and water or oil based poly?
>>
File: 1695033779645.jpg (3.69 MB, 3024x3024)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
>>2786702
forgot pic
>>
Is maintaining the current thickness absolutely critical? If not, easiest thing would be to plane it out. If you want to maintain as much thickness as possible do it by hand.

If it doesn't need to be perfectly flat you can use a scrub plane and it will go fast, but picture looks like you're trying to clean up a workbench.

If you can find a sawmill with a wide enough thickness plane and you can get it off the wall it should only cost a few bucks and only take a few minutes.

Alternatively use a belt sander and 60 grit belt then work up in grits. Just make sure to keep it moving or you'll make divots.
>>
>>2786702
The former.
>>
>>2786702
I’d just use a fine grit.
Deep grooves an gouges i would use a sanding pad to get in there just to clean it up, or use the fine sand paper and a pencil eraser.
Then you can fill the gouges with poly until you are satisfied. Let it dry (it shrinks) and repeat.
Lightly sand between coats, poly doesn’t stick to itself.
The flattening sand should use a pretty hard backing, i use a flat piece of 3/4” mdf.
This is how we do gymnasium floors. When you fill scratches with polyurethane, it makes them nearly invisible and you end up with a 1 mm layer of polyurethane eventually.
> oil or water-based
Always oil, until they ban it.
This is a lifetime finish. Almost everything else is bullshit.
>>
File: 1691380165573.jpg (1.67 MB, 4032x1908)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
making slow but steady progress. all but the biggest scratches are disappeared.
>>
>>2786735
this anon is objectively wrong

>>2786778
get that shit off and do the whole thing you lazy faggot
>>
>>2786779
explain yourself nutsack
>>
Wipe it with Muratic acid
>>
>>2786789
i did consider picking up a jug while at ace
>>
>>2786779
Meds
>>
>>2786696
Depending on how you apply your poly, you may need to take map to the surface as it cures to remove bubbles. Some recommend using diatomaceous earth to sand the last layers of poly for the smoothest finish. It will take time, but if done right, it will last a life time

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.