[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.jpg (5 KB, 225x225)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
I broke of these pic related stoneware mugs and am thinking of doing a faux kintsugi thing. However, I also want to be able to microwave this thing, so JB Weld is out, epoxies are apparently out (temperature issues and potential fuming or whatever when exposed to enough heat), and superglue was never practical to begin with.

Unless someone has any better ideas, I was thinking of resorting to a cement mixture of some kind and sorta painting on my gold (mica) pigment onto the cracks and then figure out how lacquers work.
>>
Or you could dive off of a tall building
>>
>>2785296
Those handles just break off. Get yourself a set of metal tumblers. Last forever.

Ceramic cups are for posers.
>>
>>2785415
sure lt me drink out of metal so everything I put it in leaches lead, cadmium, lithium, mercury, and other heavy metals that entered the steel while it was being processed

>inb4 le ceramic glaze!!!1!1!
glaze is heated until it becomes glass, which is inert
>>
>>2785415
>Get yourself a set of metal tumblers

Imagine putting that in the microwave.
>>
>>2785296
What do you mean superglue is not practical? I glued my mug's handle with cyanoacrylate fairly easily, and it's held up fine for years.
>>
>>2785673
(Imitation) kintsugi is a more decorative repair method, meaning I won't have enough time to even mix the pigment. Plus, cyanoacrylate doesn't do very well in the microwave.
>>
>>2785296
Loctite E-30CL

I used it on a mug and it's rock solid. I use the mug once a week or so, which involves microwaving 3x and putting it thru a dishwasher cycle. Its been going strong for three years now.
Make sure your joint is clean and thin.
>>
>>2785597
> hot pockets of corporate goyslop

Now, try to not be a faggot who uses a microwave.
>>
Anyone ever use Elmer's Stix All?
>>
If you're putting in the effort, just do actual kintsugi.

Food safe is a problem when you're working with adhesives, sealants, mortars plus you want to throw this in the microwave with hot drinks.
>>
>>2786609
>just do actual kintsugi
>you want to throw this in the microwave with hot drinks

I got the gold mica powder specifically to avoid putting metal in the microwave. Do I just not do this, then?
>>
Also have a broken ceramic plate. Not sure that hot food would present the same problems that hot fluids in a cup would, but there's a nonzero chance that this would end up in the microwave too.

What's the best way to handle this one, in terms of supplies? As long as cured epoxies are inert, my guess is that my epoxy that's rated at 200 degrees F should be fine.
>>
>>2786609
>Food safe is a problem when you're working with adhesives

Aren't epoxies chemically inert when fully cured?
>>
You faggots babble about the stupidest shit
Like a bunch of old women
>>
why in the fuck would you need to microwave a mug?
>>
>>2789295
Absolutely not
>>
>>2789759
Instant coffee.
>>
>>2789776
Then what adhesive am I thinking about?
>>
I have a kintsugi kit incoming in order to repair my gaiwan. Various urushi, gold, silver, tools. I have some background in miniature painting. I think I can get the mechanics down if I can come up with a good plan to bring it all together.
>file edges of cracks
>mugi-urushi to bring it back together
>kokuso-urushi for the chip
>sabi-urushi to fill in cracks
>sand down
>black urushi once or twice for buttery smooth lines
>bangara urushi very thin
>gold powder
As for a humidity cabinet, still undecided exactly how but the wet towel+box or bin technique should be fine. Might use seedling mat to increase temps.
Anybody here work with urushi before? I'm excited to try.
>>
Is that bio kintsugi crap any good?
>>
>>2789804
I'd rather microwave myself.
>>
>>2789804
Couldn't you just microwave the water in a separate container?
>>
>>2792076
Second

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.