[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Are there people who unironically believe DeWalt or Milwaukee to be on par with or even better than Makita, or is that just poorfag cope? No shame if they're outside your budget, they're not cheap, but that doesn't make the tools better
>>
File: 1709228496741330.jpg (121 KB, 809x900)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>2773774
>Are there people who unironically believe DeWalt or Milwaukee to be on par with or even better than Makita
Yes, literally every contractor in the USA.
As such, the market has responded and Makita is sold in almost nowhere.
Said contractors make significantly more money than you do, and use their tools significantly more than you do.
>>
Are there people who unironically think some version of this thread needs to be posted every few days.

Yes, literally every idiot on this board who bought or wants to buy a power tool and doesn't know how to google reviews.
>>
>>2773782
>Said contractors make significantly more money than you do, and use their tools significantly more than you do
You're not wrong, I mainly just wrench on my car. I don't own any Makita powertools either, it's not worth the investment for me. Mostly Skil and Bosch hand-me-downs from my dad. But if you're a contractor, and your powertools make up a significant portion of how you make your living (and you make a comfortable living) why not just snatch up something like Bosch Professional or comparable pro-grade powertools?
>>2773783
>some version of this thread needs to be posted every few days
I don't frequent this board, soz
>>
>>2773786
> why not just snatch up something like Bosch Professional or comparable pro-grade powertools?
Because they use tools, they dont sit online and try to decipher if one brand has a minuscule amount of difference over another.
It doesnt matter, Bosch doesnt exist in stores, Makita doesnt exist in stores. Nobody is changing brand ecosystems for literally no reason.

Thats for NoTools and weekend warriors who like to collect tools they dont use
>>
>>2773788
This

Except I don’t know why the collectors would buy Bosch or Makita because their collection would be small, those two brands sell like 1/3 as many different tools as Milwaukee and half of what DeWalt has. Makita doesn’t even sell battery packs larger than 10x18650 cells so they had to make a new overpriced 40V line that is basically the same tools as the 18V line but they can finally use 21700 cells (while everybody else is going to tabless and pouch cells). Makita is 8+ years behind and Bosch has no presence in the US.
>>
>>2773788
>They dont sit online and try to decipher if one brand has a minuscule amount of difference over another.
I mean that's not exactly what I'd expect them to do but it's also not what you need to do to figure out which tools do and don't suck
>Bosch doesnt exist in stores, Makita doesnt exist in stores
Idk why I'm surprised that American stores sell almost exclusively American tools, yet somehow I am
>>
My tools of choice are based on 40 years of experience. Ive tried them all at one point or another. I could give a flying fuck about bragging rights. A good carpenter with shit tools still beats a poser with high dollar tools. I use these tools everyday…
>>
>>2773824
Nothing wrong with using whatever tool works but that wasn't necessarily the point of the thread. We already shifted away from "do people sincerely believe tool brand A makes better tools than tool brand B?" to "why use the inferior tool brand if you can afford the superior one?" which is already one goalpost too many for my liking
>>
>>2773805
> American stores sell almost exclusively American tools
American stores sell exclusively cheap chinese-made tools from chinese companies with american sounding names.
FTFY.
>>
File: 61WZOloe5+L.jpg (79 KB, 1216x927)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>2773774
Mind if I have a battery failure in this thread?
>>
>>2773791
> different tools
Yeah, you need all kinds of important power tools like the Milwaulkee Avacado Slicer that comes in 4 models, one with an impact slicer option; and the dewalt personal massager with magic wand attachments.
Jeez, you need like only a few tools in cordless… two drills just like we have two hammer sizes: 16 and 20 oz for 99.999% of everything we get done.
Cordless skilsaws are great if you only cut one board a day, they only run 10 minutes on a charge.
>>
>>2773848
I don’t know what you’re talking about.

>>2773859
Or the pressing and crimping tools that plumbers use all day, or a real cordless miter saw or rear handle circ saw that needs a little bit more juice than 18650s can provide to work to its full potentual without having to stick multiple batteries on the thing. Transfer pumps are super useful in many trades as well, especially if it’s not another giant gas powered piece of equipment when you’re only trying to keep a small hole dry while you replace a fitting.
>>
>>2773848
Honestly is Milkwaukee actually any better than Ryobi? People shit on Ryobi and I totally understand why but I feel like they share just a few too many parts with Milkwaukee for me to trust them any more than I do Ryobi
>>
>>2773905
No it isn’t desu
>>
>>2773905
It is. Milwaukee has more brand name electronics in their tools and more reinforcment here and there. The Milwaukee, especially Fuel, will have a couple extra features too.

It’s not a huge difference though, and a lot of the new Ryobi HP tools are tech that was in the Milwaukee that came out 5 years ago. So with Milwaukee, you’re paying for the R&D to get those innovative tools sooner. By the time it gets to Ryobi a few years later, they will use a slightly cheaper motor and go down 10% on power and drop one or two small features and maybe a cheaper trigger and sell it for 1/2 the price of what the Milwaukee costs.

If you’re just a casual DIYer, you probably won’t even use the tools enough to notice the extra 10%-20% of power and features the M18 Fuel has. And the Ryobi HP version for $100 might be nicer than the old model non-Fuel Milwaukee that costs $150.

I don’t think Ryobi-Ridgid-Milwaukee is quite as close as some people think they are. The relationship between DeWalt-Craftsman-Porter Cable is def closer where you see exactly the same tool made in a different color a couple years later for a lower price point. There is a handful of Porter Cable stuff dyed red and called Craftsman, and some of the like last gen DeWalt XR tools dyed red and sold as Craftsman Brushless. The closest TTI version I have seen was the Ridgid Octane jigsaw dyed lime green like 2-3 years later as the Ryobi HP.
>>
>>2773786
>I don't frequent this board, soz

But your post wasn't really a question since your mind is made up, you're just bored.

>>2773827
Your thread was stupid and you knew this so eat hoboanus.

>>2773859
>Cordless skilsaws are great if you only cut one board a day, they only run 10 minutes on a charge.

If you need the mobility you'll have ample batteries. If you don't then use corded. If you're serious you'll deliberately acquire plenty of corded, cordless, and perhaps pneumatic, hydraulic or gas engine tools. (My chainsaws have plenty of demo time, not just tree slaying.)

The patrician choice is own ALL the tools. If poor then money is more important than time so buy used corded tools. Autspergtism doesn't get work done. Tools and equipment do. Some Ryobi are better than some Milwaukee. (My bro bought a set of Ryobi while visiting relatives for some surprise home repairs and quite likes them. We both have decades of pro and enthusiast experience and ran USAF toolrooms including spec'ing the tool kits.)

Shit's simple. Overthinking is wasteful. If you bought cheap then need more or different, buy more or different. I never cried myself to sleep about being over-equipped. I used to want one good tool kit. Now I want one in each of my buildings and behind the seats of my trucks.

I even have hospital medication carts (fantastic rolling boxes that are floor and woodwork-friendly) in my computer and living rooms so I don't have to go more than a few feet for most things. They're an ideal base for a 3D printer.
>>
>>2773859
>>2773934
Pretty sure anon hasn’t used a cordless skill saw since NiCd was the standard. Brushless motors and 10+ cell lithium packs made such a big difference on pretty mucy all of the tools that suck more juice than a drill or impact driver.

Also circ saws are one of those things where you make a couple cuts that use lots of power but only for a couple seconds. It’s such an easy tool to stick a 2nd battery on the charger while you’re cutting with the first one, and your backup battery will easily be at 90% by the time you hit 2 bars on the first pack.

Even my super cheap (free) Ryobi 5.5” circ saw with their cheapest 2.0Ah battery is better than the ol’ DeWalt 18V XRP 6.5” I had. The brushless Ridgid with a 3.0+ battery absolutely destroys the old yellow XRP in terms of performance and cuts and it doesn’t take >2hrs to charge a pack. It’s not 2001 anymore, you don’t need to charge all of your NiCd batteries the night before and hope they last through the day.
>>
>>2773786
A lot of specialized contractors will go with "premium" brands like Bosch and Festool. That's the guys who e.g. cut and polish quartz countertops, or use core drills, or install unistrut all day everyday. They want waterproof tools, or dust collection. They usually go with a tool dealer and if the rotary hammer fucks up, they call the dealer and they come bring them a replacement.
>>
i thought dewalt were used by actual construction workers/contractors
>>
>>2773947

Replace Bosch with Hilti
>>
People really fell for that huge Milwaukie shill campaign
>>
>>2773925
NTA but if they sold Ryobi tools here they'd be perfect for my use case from the sound of it
>>2773934
>But your post wasn't really a question since your mind is made up
IMy mind is not made up, actually. I wanted to know if this thing I kept seeing (people saying Milwaukee and DeWalt make better tools than Makita) was sincere or poorfag cope. I didn't mean to start a discussion on which one actually IS better, or justifications for choosing one over another.
>Your thread was stupid and you knew this so eat hoboanus.
Well it wasn't my intention. Bone apple tea.
>>2773937
>Pretty sure anon hasn’t used a cordless skill saw since NiCd was the standard. Brushless motors and 10+ cell lithium packs made such a big difference on pretty mucy all of the tools that suck more juice than a drill or impact driver.
I do use powertools but the ones I use are cheap, old, or sometimes both. Investing in quality powertools makes no sense for someone in my position. Never actually touched a cordless skilsaw in my life though, even back when NiCD was a thing. I don't do much woodworking.
>>
>>2774216
Makita released really good, top of their line tools nearly a decade ago, then said "that's good enough" and most of their lines haven't had a significant update since. Dewalt and milwaukee release a new version of each tool like every 2-3 years with improvements. If you buy makita tools, they still work great, but you're getting a nearly decade old design with a handicapped battery platform because makita likewise rested on their laurels for the battery pack design and now they're too deeply entrenched in it to back out or redesign. This wouldn't be a bad thing if makita lowered prices go remain competitive with their lower head to head performance, but they don't. They RARELY have discounts or sales, the best you're getting is an occasional battery bogo deal. Japanese companies don't believe in doing regular sales promotions or lowering the prices of outdated products, see fucking nintendo. If you're going to spend top tier money you may as well swing team yellow or red and get the current top tier tool as well.
>>
>>2773859
> pressing and crimping tools that plumbers use all day
Somehow Milwaukee managed to corner the market on the pex expander, but that’s a boutique tool with a boutique price and not one person in a hundred thousand has one.
>>
>>2773905
Oh, I’m sure they share parts. The main differences is the plastic mold, the gearing ratios, hammer mass, and the electronic driver software to make them appear more different than they are
>>
>>2774223
> makita released good tools
There is no reason to change the rubber overmolding pattern every fucking year.
People that are into that are the “fast fashion” mentality. Or, “susceptible to fast fashion marketing gimmicks” i should say.

All the more reason to buy makita (who also pretty much invented cordless power tools)
>>
>>2774245
A lot more has changed beyond the rubber overmold. Look at what has happened with M18 1/2” impact wrenches in that time, there was a huge jump in power and they keep getting more and more compact.

>>2774237
It’s not just the PEX expander. Those cordless crimpers are becoming like standard duty for plumbers, tons of electrical specialty tools as well. Look how many mechanics use the M12 ratchets now, a tool that didn’t exist a few years ago. 18V compressors and vacuum pumps too, those gotta be a lifesaver at certain jobs instead of having to drag out the generator all the time.
>>
File: IMG_2320.jpg (50 KB, 847x900)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>2773774
>>
File: IMG_5224.jpg (604 KB, 1280x960)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>>2774249
Yeeeaaa buddy!
>>
>>2773774
dewalt and milky release more shit faster than makita.

The only thing makita has going for it is you can find a makita anywhere.
>>
>>2773791
Fuck pouch and prism batteries.
>>
Used to go Milwaukee, but on a whim went Makita due to a good sale, and the memory of dropping a Makita impact 12 feet onto concrete and it still working, while burning through multiple brushed Milwaukee impacts over my apprenticeship. Also a nostalgia factor for me. Makita was a pioneer in the cordless game and always being an Asian brand I can accept them making their shit overseas, while an American company historic company like Milwaukee making shit in red China doesn't sit well with me in principle. I agree Milwaukee has better batteries tho.
>>
I'm convinced, I'm going full Makita cordless! A nice cordless 16ga nailer and a legit cordless framing nailer, a 1/2" cordless ratchet, a cordless router with a 1/2" collet, one of those cordless jobsite tablesaws, and sweet compact 18v cordless air compressor, 18v laser level, and some high-output 8Ah and 12Ah batteries! I'm so excited bros.
>>
File: IMG_0496.jpg (869 KB, 1170x1290)
869 KB
869 KB JPG
>>2774283
Too bad you can’t get 8Ah and 12Ah packs for Makita. You could go 40V, but you gonna stick a 40V pack on a ratchet?

Also has anybody gone so far as to use a Makita ratchet? Do they exist? Maybe they will release one by the time the Gen 8 Milwaukee is released.

>>2774276
Man that DeWalt 1.7Ah pouch pack looks like a dream for their babby impacts. At that size you don’t even need to think about 12V on certain tools.

Also tabless cells are still like 18650s and 21700s I believe, super fast charging as well. Ridgid has a 4.0 tabless pack coming and the performance is better than an 8.0Ah pack.
>>
>>2774294
>Too bad you can’t get 8Ah and 12Ah packs for Makita
You can't get anything in that list anon, that's the joke.
>>
40v meme is really recent and dumb. I'm a woodworker and fix up house shit and have never needed a powered ratchet. Makita 18v has eaten everything I've needed it to for half a decade including angle grinding, routing, leafblowing, sawing, caulking, drilling, and dozens of other tasks with zero hiccups. Cords are shit.
>>
Oldfag here- There was a time when Makita had 100% of the cordless power tool market in its hands, and a small chunk of the corded market too.

Every single tool they made was as well made and nice as any other BUT they all had some weird proprietary quirk that made them a pain in the ass to use of you did real work...could be an oddball sized chuck key or a special tool you needed to change blades; the palm sanders were sized so you had to trim sandpaper sheets to just under normal 1/4 sheet size, but had to be so precise that 2 mm off and it was trash.

EVERY FUCKNG TOOL was this way, and Makita did not give a single shit about complaints...and that carried over to when the batteries started dying. And this is on top of premium pricing and some degree of fragility.

It was a quintessentially Japanese approach- we know best so adapt to our ways, if something causes you problems stop doing it.

They became a meme brand at that point and only hipsters stuck with them as Dewalt came on line with the same quality/ capability tools that were way cheaper and could be beaten to death without failing.

Makita never really recovered; they pissed too many early adopters off and by the time anyone might have been ready to give them a second chance there were lots more options from companies that listen to the needs of other markets.
>>
>>2773774
>Milwaukee
Built Aviary with their drills. Nicest chips Ive ever seen.
>>
>>2773934
> hospital medication carts
Fuck yeah this. Can get them surplus cheap
>>
>>2774319
Not sure what you're on about, I have 20+ tools from them and for sure nowadays they're all standard for bits and sandpapers and sawblades etc. Their stuff is hearty af with the exception of their handheld router which needs work
>>
>>2774031
They are because they are sold everywhere, the quality is "good enough and they are not too expensive that ruining one will break the bank.
>>2773937
Production will drain batteries really fast, and you will need more than one battery on rotation, and/or a fast charger, that has the side effect of wearing your batteries faster. It still makes sense for crews to use a corded hypoid drive skilsaw, assuming they have power on site but the cordless is certainly handy on rafters and to trim sheathing in place. Speaking of power, running battery chargers on a generator makes a lot of sense because you don't need as large a generator since you will not require a high peak power.
>>
>>2774301
40V is dumb but Makita did it because they’re dumb. They never thought to design a pack with more than 10x 18650s, and when you get to 3000mAh 18650 cells, there’s a limit on how much current you can pull and how fast they charge. So instead, they designed a bunch of tools around a max battery footprint of the 10x 18650 packs, especially the 36V 18x2 tools which mostly look super awkward. Meanwhile Milwaukee and DeWalt dropped 6.0Ah packs with 10x 3000mAh 21700 cells in a little bit wider footprint and they can put out far more power than Makita’s 18V and can run tools at the same power level as the Makita 40V.

>>2774319
Makita has been doing that shit the whole time with lithium cordless tools too. The early 5-cell 18V LXT packs like 2.0Ah size, they had “Star/non-star” or “yellow/black tab” batteries and not every tool was compatible with all 18V batteries.

Then there was the early 12V tools, they had the M12/Bosch 12V style battery in the handle and it’s such a good design to make compact tools like the ratchets and die grinders and keep the body fairly slim. They shelved that, and went to a 12V slide pack, and you would think maybe they did it for a multi-volt 12/18v charger like DeWalt and Hercules, but nope, that didn’t happen.

Then the 40V XGT, same slide pack but still no compatibility, like it would be so easy to make a 12/28/40V charger and then allow the 40V batteries to power 18V tools if the user wanted better batteries, but nope. The 40V line is limited and expensive and a lot of the tools are the same as the damn 18V versions but cost significantly more.
>>
File: 1710883255513.jpg (335 KB, 1181x1181)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
>>2774248
But can DeWalt do pic related?
>>
>>2774377
The fucking coffee maker and microwave are the only reason Makita is even in the conversation anymore. Otherwise they would share an endcap with Bosch at Lowe’s.
>>
If it isn't covered by project farm it is shit
>>
>>2774373
DeWalt might not be number 1 on most charts, but all of its tools will usually be close enough to the top performers that it's worth it to buy in to the battery ecosystem.

>>2774381
The coffee maker can barely make one pot by eating an entire battery, it's fucking stupid.
>>
>>2774451
and half the things that ARE covered by project farm even moreso
>>
>>2773774
milwaukee is the best of all the stuff that's under festool/hilti etc
>>
>>2774377
>Eats 2 40V 2.5AH batteries in 8 minutes
>>
>>2774454
That's what's great, he does comprehensive demos of what is and isn't shit.
>>
>>2774452
>The coffee maker
Yeah, better off with the 40V tools like the 720W kettle and the 500W microwave, they're much more practical!
>>
>>2774459
None of them are good, they literally only exist to get people talking about Makita.
>>
>>2774460
Anyone who suggests there's something redeeming about the Makita cordless "Lifestyle" products is having a laugh.
>>
>>2774301
> 40v meme
Stupid people who buy cordless think “more voltage is more power”
Also, they have 60v now, to double-down.
When they go 120v people are gonna be like “wtf… compared to my 120v corded tools, this thing is fuckin heavy and gutless for the 10 minutes I’m allowed to use it before I permanently damage the battery” with a 100 times C deep discharge.
>>
If you use your tools for $ and are on job sites, the only thing I can think of that you would need a cord for are a strong hammer drill and a mitre saw. Every other tool you could work just fine with battery power.
>>
>>2774483
List your tools, make and model.
>>
>>2774483
To be fair here, DeWalt 60V stuff delivers serious power over the 20V tools, and the 60V batteries usually provide a solid boost to the 20V tools.

Makita's stuff doesn't seem to follow that.
>>
>>2773774
I use makita, they're fantastic. The big three are damn near indistinguishable though, these threads are retarded

>>2774485
a corded skillsaw still has a place, and ironically the corded makita is an absolute staple of any framing job. though the 40v battery saws are just as good imo
>>
>>2774498
I have the 36v circ saw that uses 2 batteries and it's a beast. I've used it extensively three days in a row on a single pair of batteries helping my brother build a large deck that enclosed around an above ground swimming pool for his kids. I made a couple hundred 2x8 crosscuts during the project, so when makita claims it can do 600+ 2x4 crosscuts per charge they are not inflating numbers to sound good
>>
>>2774496
Can’t read the model. It’s a 40 year old makita with an unpolarized plug.
Please post any of your still working 40 year old daily cordless drills.
>>
>>2774502
> two batteries
Wait until you get the 4-battery model.
I heard they are working on an 8-battery model so you can get a full hour of runtime out of it.
>>
>>2774517
piss boy
>>
>>2774372
Didn't say anything about nowadays, just that they didn't do all that stuff when they had practically all of the cordless market sewn up and by the time they did there were tons of options at better price points.
>>
>>2774375
werent the slider batteries taking a shit if you ran them below a low level 3 or 4 times in a row?
>>
>>2774526
No, it’s the makita 4 battery back pack for those whining about needing 32 Ah batteries.
>>
>>2774543
There was something about Makita packs where if you run them low, like let’s say you get them to 1 bar on your string trimmer and put them away for the winter, it’s impossible to recover them. A lot of brands don’t want to charge batteries below a certain voltage but it’s easy to feed them a little charge another way and then they work, but I guess the Makita packs have something in the circuitry that perma-bricks themselves and the only way to fix it would be a new BMS.
>>
>>2773788
>Makita doesn't exist in stores
it sure as fuck is here in Texas, sold right alongside everything else
you must live in some tiny town with a tiny hardware store or no home depot or Lowe's or anything, my local ones both stock a fuckton of Makita stuff and it sells
>>
>>2774630
Makita has a small section at Home Depot. Meanwhile DeWalt is everywhere, Ace Hardware and Northern Tool and the other major stores. Milwaukee is at Home Depot and NT and a million plumbing and electrical warehouses around the country.

Bosch and Makita have very little presence in the US, they may as well be a store brand like Ridgid or Kobalt.
>>
>>2774602
>source trust me bro
This is weird untrue coping. The winters here go to -39f and I've routinely drained Makita batts to nothing and forgotten them all winter and they've come back every time just fine.
>>
>>2774724
If you put them on the charger and the charger recognizes them, then you haven’t drained them enough to go into protection mode.

Somebody can google it and find a video or test if it actually exists. Never said I was 100%, just a random fact I think I heard. Pretty much every lithium battery won’t want to charge once they get too low, but you can trick most of them to start charging. The thing I think with Makita packs is that something in the board perma-locks the packs.
>>
>>2774724
>>2774802
https://youtu.be/xkHvsnMvj-M?si=ZkPwGymnhe_T3ASJ
>>
>>2773774
I would say that, here in Australia; Makita and Milwaukee seem to be about equal in popularity amongst the trades. Rarely see anyone use DeWalt or Hikoki, etc. But Ryobi would be a big-seller for your average Joe and or weekend warriors.
>>
>>2774630
>>2774657
You keep repeating this while makita literally sells 10 times as much as milwaukee
>>
>>2774483
>more voltage is more power
dumb nigger, thats true
why do you think 6v on automotive died out
Not that it matters for most applications, current gen drill and impacts are already as strong as you will ever need.
A high torque impact is already strong enough to sheer a really stuck bolt up to m16 and on wards
>>
>>2774835
In Japan where Milwaukee costs 4x as much?

Because there’s no way that’s true in North America. Makita’s North America sales have been shit in recent years because they don’t try
>>
>>2774842
It’s not necessarily true. The 6.0Ah+ packs from most 18/20V platforms are the exact same thing as the Makita 40V but wired a different way. Both battery packs can deliver the same total watts out. DeWalt Flexvolt is at least 60V and a bit easier to get all that power out of, but the same Wh packs between Flexvolt and 18V/20V are still pretty much the same.

Milwaukee had 28V for a minute and went back down to 18V.
>>
>>2774858
Eh, Torque Test has found that generally DW tools will perform better with a 60V battery even if they aren't a Flexvolt Advantage model (The "Power Detect" models they sell at Lowes are just rebranded XR tools so Lowes can pretend they have a special exclusive).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJCjaMZR6PI
>>
>>2774870
Jesus fuck, they also find random 18v that perform much better than other random 18v.
I really wish you >>2774842 completed high school where you learn what current is.
Also, they still use 6v for smaller vehicles like ATVs, so it didn’t “die out” and even if it did, you wouldn’t have a clue why. Hint: city busses use 24v.
>>
>>2774870
That’s a cell choice thing. The Flexvolt needs a 3S setup. Milwaukee’s 9.0Ah pack that does so well is probably 15x those 3000mAh 21700 cells, which is also why Milwaukee’s 6.0 is often one of their best batteries, it’s 10x of those same cells that deliver a lot of current. Those tools are still running on 18V.

If DeWalt had a 12.0Ah Flexvolt, it would probably drop down in performance a bit because more capacity on a given cell size generally means lower discharge rates, same reason the M18 6.0 does better than the 8.0 despite both being 10x 21700 cells. If Milwaukee had a 9.0 M18 pack that was the same size as the 12.0, that one would have tons of max current, but the guys wanting a pack that big probably want the 12.0Ah runtime instead of an extra ~10% top end perfornance on the most power hungry tools, and there’s no space in the market for an 8.0 and 9.0 Ah pack.
>>
>>2774802
I've had that happen to me with 5ah Makita batteries and I live in a part of the world that never drops below freezing. The batteries have a chip that once triggered, will prevent them from being recharged. Doesn't matter if you try bridging it to a fully charged battery for a bit to get some charge into it either because it can't be reset. Great feature.
>>
>>2774876
>6v for smaller vehicles like ATV
whatever shithole you are from, youre living in the post war period. the rest of the world abandoned 6v in the 80s
>have one oxidized contact
>headlight drops to 50% brightness

double voltage
= one quarter resistive losses in the tool and motor wiring. This is huge
= possible higher motor rpm
= thinner motor wiring, less tool weight
= more power gain for less material cost, the exact opposite of relying on high capacity batteries that require thicker motor wiring for any performance gain
>Hint: city busses use 24v
all Europe trucks have that due to historical reasons. Hint. its the same fucking issue, 12v was too low voltage for the big start motors they needed back then.
>>
>>2774954
>that require thicker motor wiring for any performance gain
meant thicker than needed for the normal battery.
For this to make an impact the motor needs to be designed with that in mind, as seen on the latest bosch 18v impacts. And this cuts into the manufacturers profit because copper is expensive
>>
>>2773774
>Are there people who unironically believe DeWalt or Milwaukee to be on par with or even better than Makita, or is that just poorfag cope?
probably not, it's likely just a generalization since for over 90% of DIY uses the diference between them doesn't actually matter, I imagine it's industry and trade where it actually matters any
>>
>>2774954
So you think every corded power tool in north america is twice as powerful as the dewalt 60 volt? Good. Must be great to live in europe where every corded power tool is 4 times as powerful. Or 4 times lighter.
Wait until you find out about gears. That is really going to blow your mind.
>>
>>2774956
Maybe dewalt went to 60 volts because they’re going to go to aluminum windings like MOTs did.
They’d save about $1 in materials cost.
Luckily, it only has to last as long as the battery, which is the thing they are selling.
>>
>>2774978
why dont you shut your mouth about electricity if all you have is kindergarden levels of knowledge about the topic on hand. This is beyond embarrassing.
You are so dumb you dont even understand what other people spell out for you, that single sentence is proof enough
>you think every corded power tool in north america is twice as powerful as the dewalt 60 volt
>unironically thinks double the voltage = double the power
like did you drop out in highschool? did they ever teach you formulas?
>>2774981
the figure 60v is the product of the two requirements "high capacity" and "backward compability"
>>
File: IMG_6465.jpg (333 KB, 1280x960)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
>>2774903
Ohhhh sheeiiiittt

And my point wasn’t about the cold weather doing it. I think that’s actually better for li-ion storage. It’s just an example of how you could easily brick those batteries, weed eaters and blowers are power hungry and average Joe could be doing the final yard work of the fall cleaning all the leaves up, drain the battery, and in the 4/6mos of storage on a well used battery, you might drop below the voltage that makes the chip lock out the tool.

Any other brand that might have the charger flashing red lights because the voltage is too low, you could recover somehow, jump the thing with another 18V battery or power supply. Hell, the Ryobi pack I had that was probably rekt by an old lady draining it to 0% and leaving it in the hot Florida car, the board cut all power to the tabs, like 80mA and it wouldn’t take any charge from there, but I opened it up and charged up the super low cells and she was un-bricked and works great now.
>>
File: 756610-makita-bby180.jpg (80 KB, 800x800)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>le me, touring around the jobsite on my 'kita fixie
>>
>>2775015
>not having a slave pushing you around in battery wheelbarrow
pleb
>>
Here I am still on 15 year old craftsman c3 tools, I really need to upgrade
>>
>>2773774
People who come on this board and make threads praising one tool brand over another are absolute fucking retards.
>>
File: IMG_7768.jpg (572 KB, 960x1280)
572 KB
572 KB JPG
>>2775417
But are your power tools covered by a Lifetime Service Agreement?
>>
>>2774986
> cold weather helps
Of course it does, it slows down the Li-Ion (and NiCd, PbSO4, and NiMh… etc.) chemical reactions. Generally any battery will last a LOT longer if kept cold.
But usually not too far below freezing… the crystals that form can damage the dielectric membrane and may also burst the battery (like ice forming in a copper pipe).
Obviously, if you heat the battery up, the chemical reactions will be more vigorous and you’ll get more current out of the things at the expense of reducing the lifetime.
Also the temperature swing should be kept to a minimum, the constant thermal expansion and contraction at different rates in the cell also reduces the lifetime and causes separation of the membranes in the cell.

I charge my Ryobis—whenever I can—with the cheap-ass wall wart charger that provides like a 200 mA trickle charge. I also over-size my my batteries so they don’t get hot on higher-drain tools.

I mean… it’s exactly what you’d expect.
Using your batteries on high-drain things like a skilsaw, microwave oven or coffee maker and then quick charging them every day is going to kill them several times faster (you’re loosing *years* of service life).
Also, keep within the 20–80% charge.
Bigclive on youtube just posted an interesting video where he limits the charge voltage to 3.9 volts which is around 80 or 90% which is the military specced high-end charge voltage for longevity and reliability.
>>
>>2775537
I tend not to use the fast chargers unless I need to as well. I don’t like oversizing the battery because fuck that weight, but one day if I see a good sale on the newer Ryobi packs coming out with 21700 cells, I’d be down to grab a couple for the yard tools. When I run the edger attachment then the trimmer on a 4.0Ah cheap black pack for awhile, those packs get a bit warm. Not too concerned though because the black 4.0s are cheap enough when you catch em on sale.

I shoulda grabbed the 9.0s when they were cheap. Aside from the balancing concerns, can’t go wrong with a 3S pack.
>>
>>2774986
I never implied that it was due to cold or lack thereof either. But those batteries do brick. And I did manage to charge it off another 18v battery and it didn't help because the chip in the battery tells the charger not to charge it. It's a fucking shit antifeature they use to sell more batteries. There's no way I left it sitting around for months either. I think what happened was that it was partly discharged before being used in a twin battery tool causing it to over discharge or some shit.
>>
File: P8046385__11579 (1).jpg (55 KB, 800x600)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>2773791
>pouch cells
I'm out on 5s spicy pillows. 2spoopy5me
Although dewalt is hyper paranoid about fault detection. That's why their entire flexvolt line is utter garbage. I bet their lipo batteries are also bricking themselves.
>>
>>2775718
Cold could easily brick the pack.
If it was discharged from working, and it simply cooled down, the act of cooling it could take the voltage down under the brick-itself limit.
Normally it’s fine, because going under-voltage while cold (all the chemical reactions are slowed down) is not nearly as bad as going under voltage when hot.
Of course, if you take the temperature back up, then the voltage also rises.
If makita isn’t calculating it’s bricking threshold with respect to temperature, then that’s not right.
(It’s slightly fucked up anyway, but even more so)
>>
>>2773774
>Milwaukee
Are a problem to fix. You need to buy the entire motor, switch, control board as a single replacement if any one of the three fail. This makes repairing them simply not worth it 90% of the time.
By contrast you can order parts for Makita all day everyday.
>>
>>2775749
To be fair, I have lots of working cordless tools with no batteries. I’ve never broken the tool itself.
My makita corded skipped a gear when drilling in a 12” lag bolt the other day when my impact couldn’t do it, but it seems perfectly fine.
I had to drive it in bursts where I’d lean back, and then push forward with all my weight, drive for a second, and repeat.
I do have a black and decker cordless that is a bit iffy though, seems like plastic gears? Is that possible? My big dark-blue Ryobi drill isstill fine, but it’s starting to smell funny, it might need new brushes but there’s no slotted brush cap on the sides like my corded tools.
>>
>>2775754
The point of that post was that the batteries are usually the cause, of the inability to use a cordless tool, not anything on the tool itself.
>>
>>2775754
Yeah if it's smelling it likely needs new brushes, or your pushing it to hard. Sometimes you may need to take the plastic housing off to get to the brushes, they don't always have the round slotted thing on the housing of the tool Does the motor spark when it's running? If so replace the brushes.
>>
>>2775759
> motor sparking?
It doesn’t seem to be sparking, but it did sit idle for 10 years until I finally got a new ryobi battery (the new Lithium Ion one plus system).
So maybe the grease rotted or something.
It smells a bit like those electric model trains or slot car racers and chinese factory smell.
Then i found out the new battery won’t charge in the old charger!!!! I’m like “now what??? “
>>
>>2775759
>>2775763
Also I’m afraid to take plastic molded things apart.
I took apart a praystation3 controller to replace the silicone pads once since my kids wore the damn thing out and i was almost crying trying to get it back together.
>>
I buy makita because I thought their battery powered backpack vacuum cleaner was funny and that locked me into their battery system and I have no reson to change. I needed a proper hammer drill since I live in a building where all the walls are reinforced concrete so I bought one of theirs but fucked up on getting one that doesn't have a hammer-only mode.
>>
Makita tools have vastly superior repairability and parts availability. Outside of the sub-compact stuff, you can order basically any part of any Makita tool going back decades. But tool repair is no where near as big a deal in the US, so it doesn't really help.
>>
>>2774657
I feel like it needs to be said, Ridgid is not a store brand
>>
File: IMG_0512.jpg (604 KB, 1170x1223)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>>2775840
Orange Ridgid power tools are a store brand. Dunning-Kruger effect where you see the chart and know better than everybody else.

Pic related is not a Home Depot store brand, but there’s no Red Ridgid non-HD store brand version of a leaf blower and SDS and 18V ratchet.
>>
>>2775848
Haha… i didn’t even know those existed and they’re not even compatible with the orange ridgid 12v system.
Selling their brand name was fucked up.
They might as well call them HDX now.
I think home depot is forcing manufacturer to make HDX branded shit now.
I believe “richard” might be making their HDX putty knives.
>>
>>2775950
Store brands are always made by some other manufacturer. Pick any industry/product, and some of the top selling manufacturers in that industry you will have never heard of because they make store brands and manufacture for a larger known brand that doesn’t have the capacity to do it. Hell, there’s no way that Ridgid USA who makes the pipe wrenches is manufacturing those cordless tools themselves, I’m sure they’re from a factory owned by another company that makes typical cordless brands you would know.

Those VIM Tools dudes, they’re sort of a small niche specialty automotive tool company, but they often mention the company is larger than most realize because they make so many private label tools for other brands.
>>
>>2775848
wow you're retarded
where do you get your info? deep inside your bunghole?
>>
>>2775950
>I think home depot is forcing manufacturer to make HDX branded shit now.
more made up bullshit, please just shut the fuck up if all you have to add is conjecture
>>
>>2776306
Even my bunghole is filled with factual information!
>>
>>2776307
> whaahh
I say that because the HDX had a philips screw driver bit in the handle which I thought was patented by richard.

Every time there is a public school holiday we get quality posts like yours. What did your research turn up?
>>
>>2774301
I really wish Makita would release a subcompact (black) angle grinder and jigsaw. I am intentionally limiting my cordless tool collection to the subcompact line, because they look cool. But I could those two tools.
>>
>>2776665
Subcompact table saw! Thats what we need.
The black is supposed to be pani’s color.
Though makita also does purple for the japanese market???
>>
>>2776665
How much smaller could you make an angle grinder? Do they have a 3” cutoff tool like all of the other brands? That’s what you want if you’re looking for a compact angle grinder.
>>
>>2776665
If what you want is a broad range of mini tools, why not just go for Milwaukee M12? It's just as compatible with bigger Makita tools as Makita's own 12V line.
>>
File: LmpwZw (3).jpg (59 KB, 860x860)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>2776785
If you're working with pneumatic systems you can get very small. its just a different attaching mechanism.
>>
>>2777032
> milwaulkeee
Only reason why milwaulkee sells any tools at all is because they are MAGA red, and magans will buy anything as long as it’s pro-maga. That’s also why they have near zero sales outside US except for expats fleeing from the law for tax evasion.
Also helps that it’s chinese trash with a US name they bought.
>>
File: 20240325_200056.jpg (2.59 MB, 2419x3225)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB JPG
>>2777046
cope harder dumb eurofaggot
>>
>>2777046
>Most extensive, comprehensive selection of genuinely useful 12V tools of any builder
>18V tools are decent, but cost more than DeWalt tools that are often better
Yet here you are making up some bullshit.
>>
>>2777057
It’s funny to see such a stupid design missing the WHOLE POINT of the 12 V system where 3× 18650 cells fit entirely in the handle.
That’s what you get from a company run by 20-something indian women with MBA and Marketing “degrees”
It’s a total loss.

>>2777064
> extensive, irrelevant, rendundant, nike sneaker, transformer toy designs
They’re pumping the company’s “valuation” with all these designs with minor variations and new overmoulding designs every year to make it seem (to an idiot) like it’s worth more than it is.
Must be up for sale or something.
>>
>>2777070
you mean like this? i think the ridgid brand is the design leader, and the other brands just try and follow their lead
>>
File: 70show_RedForman.jpg (21 KB, 375x333)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>2777070
>>
>>2777076
A lineup so great you can't actually buy any anymore.
>>
>>2777107
Must mean the millwaulkie 12 V line will reach the end shortly. Doesn’t matter, I registered my batteries, so I’ll have new ones forever. I’m willing them to my grandkids and giving them my ridgid account IDs and passwords.
We’re set for generations.
>>
>>2777122
Wow, that's heavy on the delusion.
>>
File: 20240326_161402.jpg (2.16 MB, 2419x3225)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>2777070
>y u no le smaul batt pak?
the tools stand up better when you set them down with the fatter packs. you're just used to being lied to that your small cock was the best she ever had
>>2777122
>end of milwaukee 12v
maybe, but they're sure going for broke before then. that 3/8 impact will pull 1 ton ford 2 piece lug nuts with the ho battery. the shitjeets actually got something right with it
>>
>>2777466
> stand up by themselves
You’re supposed to build holders out of white schedule 80 PVC pipe for every drill-like tool. You’ve just destroyed 1000s of youtuber’s careers by proposing something so outlandishly simple.
>>
>>2777122
…and here I am wishing the Ridgid 12V would die so I have an excuse to get the M12 stuff. I refuse to buy a goddamn 18V ratchet.

>>2777466
>>2777487
They still topple easy as hell if you set them anywhere near where you’re working. It’s not exactly ideal for standing up. Even 18V tools aren’t stable on the pack unless it’s like an impact driver on a 4.0+ battery
>>
>>2776658
>what is patent licensing
>>
>>2773774
>DeWalt Milwaukee
>Makita
bro never Bosch'd
>>
>>2773791
>those two brands sell like 1/3 as many different tools as Milwaukee and half of what DeWalt has.
Simple solution. Bosch and Makita LAST TWICE ALS LONG. Do your math
>>
>>2779872
*according to one anon on 4chan

If they really did last twice as long and were built like Hilti for the price of DeWalt, everybody would run them.
>>
>>2774033
>Replace Bosch with Hilti
Uh, no. Hilti's WILD pricing just isn't justifying anything. Just maybe for highly specialized tools like Hilti DX series.
>>
>>2779873
Bosch retailer here. We tried other brands. What's the real difference between Bosch and other brands, is really the excellent after sales service. It's a class of its own. Bosch has one stop shop for tools and parts. For both pro and DIY. Other brands has third party "dealers" or you have to order by fucking email. Dewalt is a mess. Their online ecosystem is split by several really outdated sites. A real hell finding either tools or parts. We threw them all out and kept Bosch exclusively.
>>
>>2779872
If you use your tools 1/10th as often but they only last twice as long it's not really the bargain you claim.
>>
>>2779878
The reason for their incredible after sale ecosystem is their vast automotive division. And use the same online ecosystem for all divisions. Powetools, diy, home appliances and automotive parts. Their logistics is a well oiled system. Once you Bosch you won't go back.
>>
>>2774602
>A lot of brands don’t want to charge batteries below a certain voltage but it’s easy to feed them a little charge another way and then they work, but I guess the Makita packs have something in the circuitry that perma-bricks themselves and the only way to fix it would be a new BMS.
Can confirm. I have a makita battery that I ran too low. It wouldn't charge. I jumped it and verified that the battery would hold a charge but the chargers and tools still refuse to accept it.
>>
>>2780873
Yeah, never buy makita in canada then.
Discharge battery, battery gets colder at night on way home in back of truck, try and charge it, completely permabricked pack because the low temperature makes the voltage plunge too low.
>>
>>2777523
Where can I buy Ridgid 12v? I've noticed there's two generations but I'm not sure which one is newer.
>>
File: 24-04-03_23-48-18-653.jpg (1.06 MB, 4374x2160)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
Really hate the weird underbelly battery placement on these new cordless ratchets. DeWalt could have just made a yellow MAC ratchet but decided to fag their shit up. Ridgid also never should have given up on their 12v line their cordless ratchets also look like shit.
>>
>>2781463
You can't unless you find some second hand.
>>
>>2773774
>Makita
Weeb trash
>>
>>2781463
You need to marry into a family that registered their 12 V batteries for a “lifetime”
At this juncture, you will have to mail them in, and wait 6 months for the one guy we got locked in the basement to replace the cells, then mail it back.
If we can’t replace the cells, we’ll give you something different if you don’t like our “no” four times in a row.
>>
>>2774377
I hate this shit. Same with the radios and/or flashlights they always include in a kit. I don't need or want that shit, I buy Streamlights and actually good audio equpiment, like Kicker.
I want actual tools.
>>
>>2773774
Bosche gives you well made and long cords, Ryobi are cheap, Rigid we're much better before they cheapened out on making stuff. The original 13 inch thickness planer and random orbit sander and vacuum are great.

Dewalt makes great cordless drills.
>>
>>2781952
>Dewalt makes great cordless drills.
And saws, and routers, and grinders.
>>
File: images.png (4 KB, 224x224)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
KS002GZ 40v circular saw
ST002GZK 40v stapler
FN001GZK 40v brad nailer
TD002G 40v impact
>>
File: festool.png (6 KB, 960x960)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
Hi
>>
>>2781463
That line has been dead for like 5 years.

>>2781467
Pretty much every ratchet that didn’t do the M12 style battery is shit, but yeah, as much as I wanted to try the cordless ratchet and they had some good deals, I refuse to get the Ridgid 18V ratchet. At least the right angle impact, you’re not yanking on the end of the tool where it’s a thin plastic pack.

Would be cool if Ridgid did a small PowerStack style ~1.5Ah battery for those tools
>>
>>2784152
Domino? Sure.
Miter Saws? Maybe, but I kind of prefer DeWalt's.
Track Saw? OK, actually not too bad, but other brands have been coming out with competitive and cheaper ones.
Cordless tools? Fuck no.
Dust Extractor? Actually pretty good options, especially since several are compatible with a cyclonic extractor add-on that stacks on top and has replaceable bins.
>>
>>2784518
> dust extractor
Hi zoomer. Gen X here to translate that term for boomers. He means “ridiculously expensive vacuum cleaner”
>>
>>2784558
Automatically alternating dual-filter, self cleaning HEPA grade vacuum with tool power pass-through to automatically turn on with the tool as well as the option to have a wireless remote button. And similar ones from 3M and Mirka are around the same pricing.

They're priced where they are for good reason.
>>
File: makita.jpg (199 KB, 1492x722)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>2773788
>Makita doesnt exist in stores
Why is this lie so often repeated here? Do people honestly believe that their local hardware store represents the rest of the world/America/whatever?

Pic related. Every fucking hardware store in Southern California carries them.
>>
>>2781721
I can understand radios, but decent flashlights are always welcome. It's much more convient, especially if you have enough batteries to cover your frequent users, than having to deal with other means to power a flashlight and better than using a phone like a lot of co-workers I've had rely on, whcih is usally almost dead because they can't keep off their phones.
>>
>>2784727
Good flashlights with decent lithium cells that won’t be complete trash within 50 cycles are almost as expensive as a light from one of the big power tool brands. And then with a good magnetic light, you might get 3-4 hours of light bright enough to light up an engine bay, and then you have to stick it on the USB charger for like 7 hours. Meanwhile you can stick a 5.0Ah battery on whatever power tool light you would use in an engine bay, and that bitch will run for 30 hours.

As far as the cheap flashlights that come in the kits as an extra piece, I sort of agree, but I love my little Ryobi lanterns that were like $30 for a 2pk. I’ll probably pick up a larger Ryobi 18V light if I can catch a good deal on it, they have some setups that could be a good under hood light.

Have picrel, the $5 pop-up lanterns with an 18650 in em.
>>
>>2784597
Yes Home Depot has a tiny 6ft display of Makita 18V and maybe a seasonal display with the lawn mowers, compared to like 16ft of DeWalt and Milwaukee plus larger seasonal displays.

DeWalt and Milwaukee are found at far more smaller retailers too, like every electrical supply house has Milwaukee, Northern Tool has both, I know Ace Hardwares have DeWalt and possibly Milwaukee as well. The selection of Makita in the US is far more limited than DeWalt and Milwaukee, especially at brick & mortar stores,
>>
>>2784518
>cyclonic extractor add-on
literal onions meme
a vacuum of this class doesnt need bags and the starmix rebrands are double the capacity for same footprint
>>2784558
>ridiculously expensive vacuum cleaner
its the difference between dguv approved and not. nobody cares if you kill yourself in your cuckshed
>>
>>2784761
>he thinks bagless vacuums are a premium feature
Lol
Lmao even
>>
>>2784765
where did i write that? i ridiculed the cyclon addon for a vacuum that doesn't even clog when run without bags
>>
>>2773774
Got rid of my Makita gear because the batteries kept dying.
>>
>>2784761
>separator that lets you keep the bigger chips out of the vacuum/extractor and more easily store them into a bigger capacity storage so only the fine dust goes in the harder to empty unit/expensive bags
Keep proving how ignorant you are, I guess.
>>
>>2785037
>harder to empty unit
are you out of your fucking mind
i have never seen a vacuum where this is more than two latches.
if anything the feststool is double the work for emptying as its two small tanks instead of the regular 40l one and their stacked and mounted back to back
>>
>>2785201
$9 vacuum bags you can fill up really fast versus putting the larger chips in a plastic bin you can easily set aside or empty out without fine dust going back in the air.

And a lot of people set up 55 gallon drums with a separator in their larger dust extractors.
>>
>>2785306
>55 gallon drums with a separator
the fuck has that to do with the festool seperator
your post reeks of onions
>without fine dust going back in the air
then do it outside in front of your burnpit
>>
>>2773774
as a full time professional makita user for 10+ years who used dewalt before that and regulary use milwaukee too, hell yes!
dewalt is slightly better, milwaukee is another league, simple as.
however its quality i dont really need. the holes i drill and cuts i make with makita is just the same as if i used milwaukee, and since everyone else on the job site use makita and we get them for free from the company wtf should i care? its not ryobi after all.
and they have a better variety of gadget and garden stuff like vacuums, coffe makers, chainsaws and wheel barrows.
when i start on my own i think i will go dewalt again for the actual tools while keeping some makita stuff for the gadgets.
>>
File: 1645024880286.png (429 KB, 401x401)
429 KB
429 KB PNG
>>2773774
i stand with Parkside from LIDL
>>
File: makita lineup.jpg (653 KB, 1500x1125)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
Just like the color, me
>>
>>2785346
>Point was the convenience factor of how it's designed to stack on the CT models
>Twerp gets bitchy about its existence
>>
I like the makita rear handle circular saws that take the two batteries. They're pretty handy to have on site. I don't own one though, I just have a few milwaukee batteries to go with the drill and impact that I have. Those are the only two cordless tools that I own. Although I'd like to get the cordless milwaukee battery nailer soon.
>>
File: PXL_20240412_064953736.jpg (2.1 MB, 3072x4080)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
For me, it's Jomi.
>>
>>2785697
I’m liking that bit holder. Be nice if dewalt had something like that. Plus, it’s a double-ender.
It’s clear dewalt has always been copying Jomi, but Jomi is still ahead of the game.
>>
>>2785697
The jomi is 21 V, the dewalt is only 20 V. It’s just that much better. Just like dewalt copied the Jomi color scheme, I’m sure they will be bringing out a 21 V model soon. Well, as soon as they can get their voltage up.
>>
>>2782076
Trouble is I already own those corded tools from DeWalt and a few others so I don't feel it necessary to reinvent something. If you have a cordless tool then you need some place to recharge it that automatically screws your workflow.
>>
>>2787247
I'd argue constantly having to deal with cords screws with my workflow a lot more than having to swap batteries once in a while.
>>
>>2787247
>>2787307
Sometimes you need both. Been doing alot of work with angle grinders recently;
I need the battery one because im not going to run extension cables all the way across my yard.
Corded is good in the shop because it never runs out of juice, but the cord has gotten quite chewed up from accidental contact, and the outlet prongs on it are ready to fall off from accidentally pulling it out of the outlet at awkward angles.
Much prefer working with the cordless, just not suitible for all jobs because it kills the batts so fast.
>>
I picked up a cheap Einhell drill yesterday, made in China shit, but the chuck is middle of the road and it was 70 bucks with a couple of batteries.

The only thing I despise is the charger, it's a fucking "fast charger" which really means "will destroy your batteries in half the time!".

Are all the cocksucker tool companies running this scam now? Do any of them offer real chargers where I can say "charge it at a fucking trickle, cunt. I don't need it in 30 minutes, I want a battery that lasts more than 6 months".
>>
>>2787382
Yep, no moreso than milfuckye, who charges their biggest battery so fast in their “supercharger” it’s got fuckin fans so it doesn’t catch fire. Picrel.

The dumb fucks who think “more volts, more beder” also think “faster charge, morer bedder”
>>
>>2787393
…here it is going into the charger, for scale.
Like i want to fuckin haul 30 cells around.
I thought makita jumped the shark with the microwave. Then this thing happened.
>>
>>2787394
What are you, a little sissy boy? A real man would carry around a 20lb battery on his drill all day and appreciate the ability to drive 8000 screws instead of the paltry few hundred you get with a "reasonable" battery.
>>
File: DewaltChargers.jpg (306 KB, 971x1993)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
>>2787382
Postin dewalt chargers just because
Top is a usb charger, if you're into slow charging you can charge the batteries slow as fuck via a usb port. (or at normal sppeds using the wwall brick. it can also output to charge other electronics, kinda neat) kinda expensive though as is never included with tool sets.
Middle pick is their normal charger, included with most kits, or bought cheaply.
Bottom, the all yellow chargers are fast chargers that have onboard fans to deal with all the heat generated. Included with some more expensive tools kits, or pretty pricey bought on their own.
>>
>>2787393
>>2787394
You're going full retard about a heavy tool battery system meant for shit like concrete vibrators and gravel compactors.

>>2787399
Yeah, you're an idiot too. The DCB112 only does 80W output charging. Even though the USB charger only comes with a 65W USB-C adapter it can accept a 100W input and you can use it to charge a laptop at up to 100W draw.
>>
>>2787468
I fail to see how anything i said about the chargers was incorrect.
By slow charging with the usb one i meant you don't have to use the wall brick atall, atleast not on the newest version. You can choose whatever usb power source you want to charge your power tool battery back from.
Or you you can use the power tool battery pack to charge other electronics/
>>
>>2787468
> concrete vibrators
Yes, it has to charge cells just up to the cells-will-explode point because it only works for about 15 minutes, then you need to charge it again for 45 minutes. These times are in the manual. What zoomer doesn’t need an hour-long break every 10 minutes.

Then, after a few months, the battery is shot, time to go buy a new one for $1500, lol. Better buy two eh? What’s that? They’re the #1 most stolen item? Better buy 10.

Only thing stupider than tesla-loving, elon musk worshipping zoomers is when it’s collective stupidity in a company run by zoomers that buys these things.
>>
>>2787468
> yeah, 100W USB chargers are free in my world
Still way too much. Even bigger lead acid cells are trickle charged with 5 W. It’s why car batteries last 10 times longer than your cordless tool does.
>>
>>2787399
Gives me an idea. How about power tools come with a touch sensitive screen, sim slot, cameras and microphones! We’ll source them from factory rejects out of china, bolt them in and charge a thousand (extra) bucks for them, plus a $100/month data plan, and play 5 minute Ads every minute at max volume.
>>
>>2787673
A thing about the usb charger (that for some reason isnt mentioned in its advertising specs or on their website) is that you can use a dollarstore wallbrick or just a usb port on your computer to charge the battery, both of which are often just a 500ma charge, its extremely slow if you want to be that slow. You get to pick the charging speed, by choosing what you are charging from.
I want to try and see if it gets along with portable solar panels, mine has a usb output but often battery chargers dont get along with basic solar panels.
>>2787690
Not sure what you're on about, nigger its just a charger, it doesnt have bootooth or anything even.
>>
>>2773774
Based. I just got a makita reciprocating saw today.
>>
>>2787719
They're not really measuring dick sizes over saws and angle grinders. It's all about that sweet sweet torque.
>>
>>2773774
hilti gang stand up
>>
>>2784727
A lot of tool brand radios include at the very least a battery port that can also charge the battery when plugged in. So you get that at least.
>>
>>2787396
Billions die every hour by tripping on power cords.
It’s better to have one extremely jacked and three times the size of your other arm.
Ignore the deaths by lithium ion battery fires… “we’re working on it”
>>
>>2773774
I dunno. I make good money, I like quality stuff, I like the color best. guess I'm the market. been getting a lot of use out of my makita drill, bit set, and 10" chainsaw
>>
>>2773774
Dewalt has the best batteries and it just werkz
>>
i love makita but i wish they made a 12v inpact like milwaukees 12m fuel. i also with the yen wasn't outrageous and i could order a maroon driver for a reasonable price.
>>
File: toolzz.jpg (1.27 MB, 1664x2216)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>2787819
hear hear
>>
>>2789073
Kek. That battery is bigger than the whole tool.
>>
>>2789030
Daily reminder that Makita had the correct battery design on their 12V line and then fucked up and started putting out slide pack 12V tools. And the worst thing about it is they didn’t even do a dual voltage charger like every other brand that does 12V slide packs.
>>
>>2789446
Looks like the ridgid jobmaxx 12 V packs.
They’re prepping us for cheap-ass pouch cells.

Since tool manufacturers are so against standardizing batteries and seizing adapter imports in customs, it proves the companies are run by a bunch of stupid marketing zoomers.

In-handle batteries are *clearly* much harder to do this with, so they’re shooting themselves in the foot.

If anyone has the most patents on in-handle shit for drills it’s makita.

The dumbasses that invade and spawn into companies that end up destroying them (it will happen to yours, too, eventually) need to serve their purpose and be sent to the front lines.
>>
>>2773774
Any brand your friend has and is not worn to peices, seems better.
>>
>>2789446
My work has that set. Works fine for drywall hanging and rackmount screws, but I use my own DeWalt set for any serious conference room setups or other stuff. I've needed to use hammer mode a few times and no way that drill handles a 1/2" bit into metal studs as easily.
>>
I'm 99% team Makita. Everythign i own is makita except for a PEX tool from milwalkee. Milwalkee is slightly better than makita and I would have a difficult decision if i were to re-buy my tooling. Dewalt is garbage.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.