[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1531361247999.jpg (102 KB, 937x720)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>Wrote the most popular Ultimate ongoing during its heyday (whether you liked it or not) if not one of the most popular ongoing titles of its generation
>Was at some point the biggest Marvel architect for 616 (whether you liked it or not)
>Brought over to Superman by DC and hyped him up (whether you liked it or not) with pic related harkening back to "Kirby is coming" because of his on-paper resume
>Now doing miniseries' over at his imprint at Dark Horse with little to no fanfare
Is it safe to say Bendis utterly destroyed his goodwill?
Say what you about Johns and Ghost Machine but apparently that's doing around Saga numbers so far
>>
>>143533736
Yes. But sadly Hollywood still picked up his shitty indie comics. They think he’s the next Mark Millar apparently.
>>
>>143533788
>But sadly Hollywood still picked up his shitty indie comics.
Nobody has been the next Millar/Kirkman in over a decade
Closest is Ennis but The Boys was more of an outlier
Hell, I don't even see Bendis getting that
What's in his creator owned resume that'd possibly entice an audience on that level?
Powers was already adapted for the fucking Playstation network of all things
>>
>>143533736
Not just his goodwill he DESTROYED the entire company.
>>
File: 1696957941793035.jpg (235 KB, 2000x1537)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>143533736
>>
>>143533736
Word on the street is the final straw for Didio was hiring Bendis. That's allegedly what got his ass fired.
>>
>>143533736
his sales were already hitting rock bottom when he got the boot, to this day i still don't know what DC was thinking.
>>
>>143534410
Marvel or DC?
Marvel has had some rebounds but DC's a ship without a captain and Bendis only wrote a few titles IIRC
The biggest piece of lasting damage was him derailing Jon Kent
>>
>>143534493
Why didn’t Didio have Bendis right Green Arrow instead?
Or an ex-Vertigo title like I, Vampire or Creature Commandoes?

Why did he get compelled to slot Bendis in the biggest square peg he could?
>>
>>143534493
Good.
>>
File: bendis-variant-132290.jpg (76 KB, 560x856)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>143534536
On-paper resume
Regardless of his infamy, he was STILL one of the largest Marvel architects at some point in the 2010's and had USM goodwill attatched
But unlike say Millar who I never see anyone express a positive opinion on regarding comics outside of one or two titles, Bendis doesn't draw dimes without established characters
>>
>>143534493
If they actually acknowledged Bendis was a mistake, why didn't they learn?
>>
>>143534565
Probably paying a lot for Bendis so they wanted to get their money's worth
>>
Bendis at DC could have worked if he wrote
>Detective Comics
>Green Arrow
>The Question
>Manhunter
>Checkmate
>Plastic Man
>>
>>143534586
DC hiring Benis in the late 2010s was like Marvel bringing back John Byrne in the late 90s. On paper they were getting a star talent who'd been the man behind a lot of hit books in the past, but in both cases they weren't paying attention to the guy's recent work, how the readers had started to turn against them, and the books weren't selling so well anymore and a lot of them just sucked. In both cases they were brought in to revitalize one of the company's biggest characters, and just ruined everything instead.

But like >>143535737 says, they'd signed him to a big money exclusive contract, so they wanted to get what they'd paid for.

>>143535454
What they learned was to stop signing writers to exclusive contracts, which were never fully exclusive anyway, they just stop you working on books for both of the big 2 at the same time. With DC no longer doing this, Marvel has no reason to either.
>>
>now if there's any discussion about Superman his cartoonishly gay son has to be brought up.
Thanks Bendis. And thanks whoever wrote Clark getting raped by russians.
>>
>>143535908
Isn't Tom Taylor exclusive?
I recall him saying that wasn't why Seven Secrets ended and that the series was always gonna end at the number of issues it did
>>
>>143535909
That was John Ridley IIRC
FFS why couldn't he stay in Hollywood?
>>
>>143533736
Bendis is just proof that you should quit while you're ahead. This is true for any arena.
>>
>>143536010
There are probably a lot of people still on exclusive contracts from before DC stopped doing them, it'll likely be a while before they've all expired, they're just not signing anyone else up to them anymore.
>>
>>143533788
>But sadly Hollywood still picked up his shitty indie comics

His stuff's been optioned, which means he gets 5-10k so some studio can hold on to it for 2-5 years. Studios will do this for no reason other than to make sure no other studios can make it.

The rumor was that Didio promised him a place at the table for DC TV/film work but it really wasn't his place to make these promises. Also when AT&T came in their bean counters wanted to know why they were paying a comic book writer with low sales the same amount as a TV staff writer on a successful series.

Bendis basically conned his way through the comic industry writing scorched Earth scripts that ruined a lot of characters and he never missed an opportunity to shoe horn his OC's and give them 'greatest evah' status.

The man is fucking evil.
>>
>>143536073
Bendis is just the peter principal in action
His decline can't be understated since he's playing catch up to everyone else in becoming the next Millar/Kirkman
I know using LOCG as a metric is flawed but whenever a new Ennis, Remender, etc title is announced it always gets attention
Bendis though?
Not much
Not even on the same level as writers more well known for their non-Marvel/DC work
>>
>>143536087
Also when you are exclusive you are usually a full time employee with benefits.
>>
>>143536153
>His stuff's been optioned, which means he gets 5-10k so some studio can hold on to it for 2-5 years
Literally what's left of his work is there to be worth auctioning even on a glance?
The only creator owned work I see people even mention is Powers
>>
>>143534565
Because Didio thought Jon was DC's Miles. And wanted Bendis to oversee 5G which he thought would be another go as DC's Ultimate Line 4.0.
>>
The KING of /co/
>>
File: 1661242018495424.webm (1.53 MB, 960x960)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB WEBM
>>143536240
>>
>>143536153
I don't think he promised Bendis a place in the movie stuff. It's pretty clear, Bendis was paid the big bucks to oversee the entire 5G line and there probably would have been a weekly series for him, Fraction, Kelley Sue Deconnick and Rucka to write. Aging up Jon with just another attempt at trying to reproduce Bendi's success with Miles.
>>
>>143535852
>>Green Arrow
Yeah that much I agree with
>>
>>143536153
>The rumor was that Didio promised him a place at the table for DC TV/film work but it really wasn't his place to make these promises.

I mean, he did end up getting Naomi, so there may have been some truth to that at first.

But then managements changed and Gunn got placed in charge of DC film/TV/etc. If you recall, Gunn got into conflicts with the Creative Committe, which Bendis was part of. And you can see from some stuff like the Chris Pratt interview or comments Gunn made that hint that Gunn really didn't care for Bendis' GOTG. It's likely Bendis knew his chances of getting involved with the DC movie/TV side of things was zip with Gunn on board and so he left.
>>
>>143536010
>>143536087
IIRC Tom Taylor got an exclusive contract after it was assumed DC would no longer be doing exclusive contracts
>>
>>143536426
Of all people, they gave Taylor an exclusive contract after they were supposed to be stopping them? Are they insane?
>>
>>143536451
Injustice was unfortunately a fairly successful gateway series for new readers
>>
>>143536490
Injustice was a fun "what if", people here take it too seriously
>>
>>143536506
to be fair most of /co/ hates any comic that isn't silver age romanticizing
>>
>>143536186
Going down the list of creator-owned stuff....

Powers
Torso
Jinx
Goldfish
Fortune and Glory
Scarlet
Takio
Brilliant
United States of Murder Inc
Pearl
The Ones

I guess Powers is his best bet.

They'll never do it but I kinda want to see the Fortune and Glory adaptation to see what the reactions of people in Hollywood that he references in there, would be

Who owns the rights to Spunky Todd the Psychic Boy, Bendis or whatever's left of Caliber Comics?
>>
>>143536506
Eh, it had its moments (Butlering) but it was ran down the whole "evil Superman" thing into a cliche
>>
>>143536535
>I guess Powers is his best bet.
Already made as a show
For the fucking PlayStation network
Lasted two seasons
Before I really got into comics, I saw a /co/ Anon at the E3 thread telling everyone how much of a hack Bendis is the moment he stepped on stage
>>
>>143536560
>Already made as a show

Yeah I know, but he could probably try to get a remake of it because I'm not even sure about the other ones. Torso I know he wanted to get a movie made of but I think Todd McFarlane somehow has the film producing rights or something
>>
>>143535852
>>Detective Comics
Nope
>>Green Arrow
Yeah
>>The Question
Absolutely not
>>Manhunter
Nope
>>Checkmate
Absolutely not
>>Plastic Man
Absolutely not
>>
>>143536544
At least it's an actual Superman story. The vast majority of these evil Supermen were always derivatives and copycats. Others are in the morally grey area and not purely evil. This put more of a mainstream answer as to what evil Superman would actually look like.
>>
File: 1697018251351499.jpg (493 KB, 1041x1600)
493 KB
493 KB JPG
at least we'll always have memes
>>
>>143536343
Bendis was out of DC before Gunn had even finished his work at marvel you retard. Almost a year before too it wasn’t even close time wise.
>>
>>143536451
Tom Taylor is like that one guy nobody likes but has delusionally convinced himself he's hot shit
Even comic twitter doesn't like him
>>
So.....if Bendis got fucked this badly without Marvel/DC, how screwed is Slott if Marvel stops renewing their contract?
>>
>>143536645
Comic twitter likes the worst stuff. This proves he's just middle of the road.
>>
>>143536240
Lex Luthor would say that
>>
>>143536639
Do you really think that Gunn only just started overseeing DC films when they announced it? Really?
>>
>>143536973
>You’re right I’m retarded
FTFY
>>
>>143536661
Honestly for all the shit some guy on here gave Johns for not doing creator-owned work... Johns has been doing creator-owned work that people were actually buying. And Bendis has way more of a backlog of creator-owned stuff, so he has something to fall back on. I don't know if Slott has done creator-owned stuff.
>>
>>143536987
I accept your concession again.
>>
>>143536240
He hasn't been relevant to the board in ages
>>
>>143537003
>Johns has been doing creator-owned work that people were actually buying.

Except all this stuff Johns is doing is DC stuff under different names.
>>
>>143534427
Kek I see I wasnt the only one to think this
>>
>>143536240
this but unironically
>>
>>143539071
Sure but it's stuff he owns
Nothing really new
Techjacket was originally meant for a Transformers comic Kirkman wanted to write and Firebreather was conceived as the son of Fin Fang Foom
>>
What did Bendis actually do at DC that made him so hated?
>>
>>143539359
Aged up Jon Kent
Lanternfags also hate him for Teen Lantern's original stupid origin story and the Gold Lantern shit that was thankfully never elaborated on
>>
>>143534493
>Word on the street
Kill yourself, you utter waste of space.
>>
File: 1714766604970682.jpg (507 KB, 1348x2048)
507 KB
507 KB JPG
>>143539359
killed the best status quo superman had in like a decade because he didn't want to write a kid character and wanted to push his trash legion. In the process made Clark and Lois seem like horrible people/parents. Eventually that led to Jon being ruined forever by Tom Taylor. It's ironic because kid Jon stuff has turned into an evergreen product so now DC teases it a lot with flashbacks and supersons oneshots. Even tried to recapture some of the dynamic with the adopted kids, but it falls way short. Just an incredible bumbling of one of the few new breakout characters, all started by Bendis
>>
>>143536661
the problem with slott is that he's a company lifer. he'll always do marvel/spidey work if they give it to him. he's more of a fan who has grown up and gets to write, than a writer who is a fan, which is in reality what bendis is (even if he's bad now)

so slott will always linger and because he's got that fan mentality he has a little niche of fanatics who like his take on spidey and why his shit unfortunately sells

hell, wells' run is complete shit but it's spider-man and will sell, slott coming back would still have it sell, even if it's a lateral move. marvel will keep throwing slott a bone or two on some random spidey-adjacent characters in case he does come up with something they can farm into the movies/cartoons/vidya again.

bendis, as others stated, was completely washed when DC hired him. every marvel reader knew this and warned DC, and for some reason a lot of those autists thought he was going to turn it around for them. then DC announced him on superman as the first book instead of fucking batman or teen titans and it was already written in the stars. look at the state of the current supes books. bendis crashed that ship with no survivors, not even PKJ's not-planet hulk superman story could save what's left. aging jon then making him a faggot for no reason, way too many supporting capes, it's all awful, he should be their marque guy, especially with gunn's movie coming out, they just don't get it
>>
>>143536490
>>143536506
>>143536518
>>143536544
Injustice was the most fun series DC put out in the entire decade. The storytimes here on /co/ were glorious, we all loved it. It also had multiple pages of the year, and it was perhaps the last book I read where Harley wasn't an insufferable mary sue cunt but an actual likeable, flawed but good person. She had great dynamic with Billy, Ollie, her own daughter, etc.
But I could mention Bizarro and his rogue friend, or Lobo putting off his cigar on Darkseids face or kicking Atrocitus's cat (and then slapping him with a GL ring dick construct).
It was just a great ride.
And it's not just an "superman is veevil" story, it shows his gradual descent into becoming an insane motherfucker while trying to save the world, and a big part of that is Batman fucking him in the ass nonstop. Which is ironic because the biggest control freak of all of DC comics is trying to stop Superman from taking control of things. Oh no, Darkseid is invading, let's just fistfight all parademons one by one, it is totally evil for Superman to just nuke them all off the planet in 1 nanosecond to keep casualties to a minimum.
Hal Jordan had the exact same thing going for him too, except he was manipulated by Sinestro to fall further into insanity.
>>
>>143539412
get this hot head out of here
>>
>>143539522
Yeah I liked it but people treat it too much like DC's Ultimatum.
>>
>>143539359
Personally I hate him because he showed promise early on in his career. It's not a case of some random fanfic writer but someone who you'd assume would be better than what he ended up as.
>>
Without bendis comic sales would probably be worse
>>
File: 1699537470772275.jpg (1.01 MB, 1920x1476)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>143539522
it's fun in the same way that a train crash is fun. That doesn't mean it's good nor well written especially when the plot only moves forward because the "heroes" on both sides of the conflict constantly make the worst decisions possible
>>
>>143539611
NTA but this isn't remotely comparable to the damage Benis done did. It's the plot of a video game universe made by the creators of Mortal Kombat. It flipping things on its head is a given. And it ultimately sold well and brought in new fans.
DC wishes for another Injustice right now and it's likely not happening.
>>
>>143534427
lol lmao
>>
>>143539606
How much is that from USM?
>>
>>143539499
Isn't the Williamson run decently liked?
>>
>>143539606
He should have stayed street level
>>
>>143539545
>Yeah I liked it but people treat it too much like DC's Ultimatum.
Which isn't really an apt comparison because Ultimatum near permanently fucked up the Ultimate U (Hickman had to unfuck it with Maker and President Cap like 3 or 4 series later), while Injustice was so good that they had to do more and more years of it until they ran out of ideas (Batman, Green Lanterns, Magic, Mxy/Trigon, motherfucking Zeus, Bizarro, supervillains under Supermans employ, Ra's Al Ghul, etc etc).

>>143539611
It's only like a train crash in that you already know how it will end (ie. a train crashes), but it can still be well written and entertaining in how it gets there. And the writing in Injustice was incredibly fucking entertaining, which means it was good. It wasn't all just about heads getting punched off either, it had plenty of emotional stuff as well (Gordon, Ollie, Dinah, Harley all had plenty). But of course where it really shined was when heads kept getting punched off, and it really pushed things up eleven whenever that happened. Far more than any other comic at the time.
>>
>>143539496
I swear, every time we get something nice....
>>
File: dedoop.png (376 KB, 441x386)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>>143533736
don't forget having an irredeemable hate boner for beast
>>
>>143533788
Does Bendis know people in Hollywood or something? It seems like he has a pipeline to people making movies and TV.
>>
>>143534410
Hey now, let’s not forget Tom King.
>>
File: bendis manchild.png (29 KB, 661x327)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>143541497
haha, I remember that.
>>
>>143536610
>lost Tomasi Superman for Bendis
I'm still fucking mad
>>
>>143533788
>They think he’s the next Mark Millar apparently.
And they were right, both are only capable of pumping out godawful movie scripts disguised as comics.
>>
>>143534493
Makes sense, they spent a fuckload of money on Bendis, only for him to cause irreparable damage to brands like he's the CEO of DC.

>>143535454
Same reason why they refused to learn from nearly half a century of stupid mistakes: pride.
>>
>>143541509
Seriously, you don't know? Fortune and Glory was about his attempt to get a Torso movie made in the 90s, so he briefly was in Hollywood at the time, and it didn't go anywhere. Then when he became a success at Marvel he got on the Creative Committee in the late 00s or early 10s, and was basically one of the advisors on film, TV, and cartoons. That probably opened some doors to him to contact people, and having "was on the Creative Committee for the MCU" would have people in Hollywood (who don't know any better) interested.
>>
>>143533736
Wait, Bendis? The writer?
>>
>>143533736
Even when this ad came out it read like a threat.
>>
Do you think he goes to adult novelty stores just to eat chocolate dicks?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (17 KB, 192x262)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
I just don't understand why Rogol Zaar didn't become a beloved, classic supervillain. He literally destroyed Krypton!
>>
>>143541700
What is this?
A Raggle Fraggle for ants?
>>
He did a half-assed copy/paste of PAD's Young Justice in an attempt to trick people into liking him while obviously just using it to push bullshit coattail riding OCs.

Glad every one of his characters fizzled out, but it's irritating that he managed to swindle as much as he did off Naomi.
>>
>>143541708
I'm not spending more than twenty seconds finding a picture of Rogol Zogol.
>>
>>143539118
>>143539667
hello newfaggots
>>
>>143541700
You think he'd better in someone else's rogues gallery?
>>
>>143533736
>whether you liked it or not
Stop repeating this, please.
>>
>>143541902
I don't think anyone else would care about the fact that he destroyed Krypton; the only notable thing about him.
>>
>>143542014
t. Brian
>>
>>143535909
>And thanks whoever wrote Clark getting raped by russians
I also thank him but without the sarcasm.
this shit is hilarious and it's perfect for humiliating superfags.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.