[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What extra virgin olive oil brands are legit and not diluted shit?
>>
>>20442108
any of them that are cold pressed extra virgin olive oil. people overblow the filler oil shit a lot on here, usually the brands that are mixed with filler state it quite blatantly. blends are all shit.

Ive been consuming 1-2 TBSP of olive oil a day for almost fifteen years and Ive had all the generic brands and over a dozen expensive boutique ones. The expensive boutiques taste and smell better, but cheapo is servicable, even walmart brand.

where the game really changes are when you get olive oils from specific regions only. check on the bottle for country of origin, and origin of olives, they list this. you want olives from single locations for the best most unique flavors, no a bottle that comes from spain, italy, morocco, greece and turkey, for example. cheap brands use mixed country olives.
>>
File: file.png (169 KB, 810x810)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
Another thing to consider is that the oil may be pure olive oil, but not extra virgin -- just regular virgin, or sometimes not even virgin at all. The FDA doesn't regulate the classifications of olive oil, so companies are free to call their product whatever they want so long as it is made out of olives and is an oil.

There are a number of organizations that certify olive oil and you can find their stamps on products that went through their certification. Living in the US, I see COOC stamps most often, so I just look for that, but there are several others as well.
>>
>>20442108
Real EVOO is usually not bottled in those shitty transparent plastic bottles but dark, semi-transparent glass or thicker plastic bottles instead, similar to the beer or wine ones. The reason is that non refined oil goes rancid faster when exposed to sunlight and the dark bottle glass is meant to protect it.
>>
>>20442108
imported ones
>>
>>20442108
flip a coin. olive oil is one of the most adulterated commodities right up next to cheese.
>>
>>20445624
Was Canola the answer all along?
>>
>>20446148
no. avocado. it's healthy-ish and higher smoke point than olive
>>
>>20445624
>importing inferior products that are made domestically
Buy American, anon.
>>
File: 1620573352611.png (1.23 MB, 792x743)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>20446148
Canola is fine as long as you're not dredging up fast food sewers for fry oil that's been reheated dozens of times. Residual hexane levels are negligible as well.
>>
>>20446183
>domestically
Anon, I...
>>
>>20442108
this is the only place you'll have to look:
https://evooworldranking.org/_EN/ran_evoo.php

Rincón de La Subbética DOP Priego de Cordoba has won 44 awards and its affordable as well, about 20 bucks
>>
Just buy your olive oil and avocado oil at Costco and you'll never have to worry
>>
>>20446187
oh wow i haven't seen a james reaction pic in ages on 4chan. nice to see.
>>
>>20446187
incorrect
>>
>>20446187
>an entirely different fatty acid profile
>fine
Lol
>>
File: 1638877389991.jpg (127 KB, 1024x689)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>20447191
normal non-manchildren don't have issues meeting a normal nutrition profile with their meals
>>
>>20447975
canola oil is anything but normal
>>
>>20442108
Italian >>> Portuguese > Greek = American > Spanish
>>20447975
Powerful image
>>
>DUDE, OIL!
Please just use animal fat instead. It's way better for you. In fact it's good for you. All these oils are terrible.
>>
>>20446183
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>20450467
>DUDE, LARD!
Be fat elsewhere, lardass
>>
>>20446183
I don't like supporting California but the ranchers probably didn't vote for that shit so this is the brand I buy. The last bottle I bought said Harvest date Oct - Nov 2022 and use by Nov 2025. Can it really last the long and stay good? I know Caliwally has been hit hard with weather for harvests recently but don't they have newer harvested bottles on the shelves by now? They used to have Lucini (from Italy) same company and Cali Reserve bottles on shelves but not for a long time now. I liked all of them.
>>
>>20451885
Olive farming is water intensive so by buying Californian olive oil you're doing your part to help kill California faster. Thanks anon.
>>
>>20447191
The difference between various different cooking oils is so miniscule that it's estimated that a majority of all olive oil sold to consumers is labeled wrong on at least some level, whether that be regular sold as extra virgin or a mixed oil sold as pure olive or processed sewage sold as an olive oil.
If it was as simple as just tasting the oil to identify what it actually is or if there was a clear and noticable difference during cooking at different temperatures then this wouldn't be an issue.
But that's not the case, you need millions of dollars worth of lab equipment and trained technicians to tell whether or not an olive oil even has any fucking olives in it let alone what grade it actually is.
>>
>>20451891
KEK. I can't wait to buy another bottle now. Shit I might buy two.
>>
>>20451891
Isn't California chock-full of aquifers? I thought the problem was that all their water was used for agriculture.
>>
>>20451885
>>20451891
California also funds the flyover states by propping up their net-negative economies so you're also killing red states by killing California. Thanks anon!
>>
>>20452485
You faggots get subsidized food from the red states. So unless you want to pay $100 dollars a gallon of milk and $200 dollar hamburgers shut the fuck up.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.