[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are some cheap and good food chains around Tokyo and South? Anything I should really try when I am over there for a month coming up?
>>
7-11
>>
seven-ereven
>>
sukiya/yoshinoya
>>
>>20435921
>>20435923
Not Lawsons? I want to chat up Yamato and Iowa.
>>
Anthony Bourdain's work is a great resource for travel...
>>
>>20435926
go to lawson for dessert
>>
>>20435926
rawsons?
>>
>>20435925
Thanks, looks OK.
>>
>>20435929
nips say it like sebun erebun and rohson you gotta work on your racism reps
>>
>>20435935
cheap and large portions. very good if your american stomach is craving cheese
>>
>>20435944
Sounds good. I have also been reccomended Torikizoku for cheap yakitori and beer. Then someone said lots of Indians will see.
>>
>>20435958
That place is good too. Easy to order from the tablet on the table if your Japanese isn't good.
>>
>>20435969
What about conveyer belt sushi? Kura sushi? Any other good brands for different kinds of food? Thanks.
>>
>>20435972
Kura is the only kaitenzushi place I've been too and it was good. Lots of options to choose from. I really like the umeshu soda drink they have there too. Every 5 plates you get a chance to win a little gacha prize so it's fun with friends.
>>
>>20435972
Coco ichiban is another good one if you like Japanese curry. Otherwise Japan mostly shines in small non chain restaurants so I would recommend exploring those over a chain in most cases.
wouldn't recommend ichiran unless you're in a hurry or something, every non chain ramen I've had was better.
>>
>>20435991
Did you stay in any Ryokans on your trip. I'll be going backpacking around solo so I was wondering if I found a nice place, whether it would be alright and not awkward. Especially with a woman bringing food to your room.
>>
>>20435917
Ryoba
Yoshinoya
Any place with bicycles parked in front
convenience stores
>>
>>20435917
Ask around for "tabehodai" places or "izakaya."
>>
>>20435995
I never had the chance since my friends were all cheap. I think you should give it a try though, I regret not staying in any. I don't think there should be any problems solo if you do a bit of research first.
>>
>>20436006
>izakaya

Yeah, I am sure I'll be having a few drinks in those.
>>
>>20436024
The entertainment districts will have food stalls out on the street, with flags advertising what they sell. You won't be able to read the flags but you will see them, and recognize most of what they sell, especially the charcoal grill places. The stalls are cheap and good and safe.
I would bet money though that you will become addicted to the convenience stores.
>>
>>20436030
I'm sure I'll be using live translate on my phone alot. Might go to Golden gai, bit really what I want to do is eventually get out of the big cities and into the small towns and do some outdoors/hiking. Maybe on the Nakasendo. I got a whole month and I said I am gonna do the lower half of Japan this time and maybe come back in the fall.
>>
>>20435926
more like I'll be black(ed) with those hugr tits
>>
shabuYO and yakinikuking
>>
File: a8AAP8qy.jpg (570 KB, 2048x1499)
570 KB
570 KB JPG
Yakiniku King
>>
File: UAA8USL.jpg (429 KB, 2048x1152)
429 KB
429 KB JPG
Marugame Udon
>>
>>20436041
I'm jealous, Anon. You got a rail pass?
>>
>>20436622
No, didn't seem worth it anymore with the price hike. Maybe if I was going up to Hokkaido and back.
>>
>>20436344
Hmmm... While I like buffets/all you can eat places, especially with tons of meat since I am on a 85%+ meat diet, it looks more like a communal dining place. Anyone have any experience going to one of these places solo?
>>
>>20436616
looks like a tapeworm
>>
>>20437053
>Anyone have any experience going to one of these places solo?
Get yourself a guide/local that does a food tour. These people will get you in the door of a place that has a no tourists allowed policy. They just don't want to deal with your lack of japanese language problem.

Solo problem, solved. In general, hotels, legal and business districts are used to solo travelers esp at lunch, and have decent restaurants both.
>>
>>20435972
Kura isn't bad. If you like sushi it's a good spot, but I didn't really care for anything I ate there.
Hard part was how they seat you right next to other people so it's crammed if you're by yourself. I'm glad I practiced my chopsticks before the trip.
>>
>>20437079
Ok, will look into that. Maybe a singles tourist tour. Thanks.

>>20437613
>Chopsticks
I am pretty proficient with them. Except for when you get those Xbox hueg rolls or loose rolls and then I was told it's perfectly acceptable to use your fingers.
>>
>>20435917
ULTIMATE GUIDE to Japan's TOP 5 Restaurant Chains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtfB-a2fO0E
>>
File: url(2).jpg (9 KB, 270x380)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>20438054
>jewtube

Fstube.net
>>
>>20435958
>Sounds good. I have also been reccomended Torikizoku for cheap yakitori and beer. Then someone said lots of Indians will see.
The food is shit, the “beer” isn’t beer, and yes, many pajeets work there. There are countless numbers of better places to get yakitori, so why bother.
>>
>>20435917
I haven't been since 2017, but I went to Mita Seimenjo for tsukemen a bunch when I was last there. There might still be one on top of Yodobashi Camera in Akiba but if not they've got a ton of other locations around Tokyo.

Also, this is a weird one, but if you're American and you ever get really homesick be aware the Burger King is the only fast food chain that tastes the same in Japan as it does in the US. I'm not even much of a BK fan in general but I was over there for an extended period for work, and there were a few times where having something so familiar really helped when I was overwhelmed with the stress of living and working in a foreign country.
>>
>>20438641
>Burger King

Thanks, but I think I'll try that Mos burger before I go into a Burger King in Japan.
>>
>>20438620
Ok, I will remember that, there was an appeal that it was easy and convenient ordering for solo foreigners.

So the "beer" is like Michelob Ultra/near beer or something? Might be OK once.
>>
>>20435927
Stfu niggerfaggot.
>>
https://youtube.com/shorts/0M83YR3QT4A?si=2CMxpVSiztmyu5Wv

This guy has done YouTube shorts of like every cheap chain in Japan, and even some regular restaurants and stalls around Tokyo. Unfortunately most of his shit is around Kobe and Osaka so you'd have to dig through the videos to use them as a reference for Tokyo outside of the major chains.
>>
Family Mart
>>
Buy your packaged food at a Don Quijote if you can. Strong Zeros for <200 yen, and onigiri for like, 100 yen at most, as well as liter bottles of drinks and chips and puddings.

If you're in Shibuya or Shinjuku, Chibachan is an izakaya chain that offers jumbo sized shit for good prices. You can get like, a 1L beer there for 1000 yen, and giant piles of chicken for about the same.

IF you're not a fat fuck it's easy to get filled up by 2 konbini chickens and some chips, you'll be too busy walking and sight seeing to worry about hunger.
>>
yakiniku, you get to cook your own meat
>>
>>20436041
Golden Gai is fun but crowded. Spend some time in Shin-Okubo. Check out Edy's Bar
>>
>>20439078
>crowded
Expected that. Will look into it. Thanks.
>>
I have visited Japan several times and for a while actually got to experience daily Japanese life, so I believe I am qualified to answer this question.

For cheap, accessible food you should try out chains like 吉野家/Yoshinoya and やよい軒/Yayoiken. These are essentially fast food, but cost a fraction of what you would pay in the states and it's actually *quite healthy* unlike any western fast food.

For お寿司/sushi, try スシロー and 回転寿司みさき. Don't expect California rolls or other garbage like that; this is real お寿司. Eat with respect, don't dip the rice in soy sauce, don't leave any leftovers. If there's any foods you don't eat, leave that attitude at the door.

焼肉/yakiniku, I recommend 牛角 and 焼肉ごえん. 焼肉 is often considered a blue collar type food and makes for a fun night with locals and a few キリン一番搾りビール.

コンビニ food is useful if you're ever in a hurry. Basically anything there will seem like it's prepared by a Michelin rated chef when compared to the convenience store slop you'll find in the US, but in particular the 卵サンド from Lawson will possibly be quite the life changing event if you have the luck to find it. A celebrity chef in the US once said it's basically the best food you can find in Japan during an interview, and he did not mean that in a bad sense. Whether it's the best I don't know, but it really is godlike.

A few other words of advice:

Read up on Japanese etiquette. In a country with as complex customs as Japan it's easy to unintentionally offend others, so even spending money on an etiquette course might be worth it.

Learn basic Japanese. Don't be that guy who forces the locals to speak English.

Speak in a low voice at all times. Americans are loud, Japanese are not.

When dining or drinking in smaller shops with few seats, be ready to give up your seat if a Japanese person needs it. You wouldn't like it if your favorite places in the US were occupied nonstop by European tourists.

If you have any questions, just let me know. Always happy to help.
>>
>>20440334
>yayoiken
Good reccomendation, thanks. Ordering with the machine should be easy enough. The other rice bowl places look good.

>yakiniku
I looked some of your reccomendations up and they all seem to have pretty poor reviews. Is that just normal because they are more critical? Also, having a a whole fire to myself to cook my meat seems a little awkward, is it acceptable for solo?

>convenience store food
Yeah, good one. I also heard Lawsons does great fried chicken nuggets. I haven't heard anything about the egg sandwiches.

>etiquette etc.
I will have a instant translator with me if that helps. Also about giving up your seat. That seems kinda strange. How does that work? I get a tap on my back when I am sitting eating or drinking at the bar and I should just drop everything and stand up? I am a bit confused on how a situation like this should play out. Thanks for very useful information. Noted!
>>
>>20440697
>Also about giving up your seat. That seems kinda strange. How does that work?
this is not at all a thing, the anon you're replying to is a massive weeb tool who fetishizes everything japanese, don't listen to him
>>
>>20440334
>When dining or drinking in smaller shops with few seats, be ready to give up your seat if a Japanese person needs it. You wouldn't like it if your favorite places in the US were occupied nonstop by European tourists.

hahahahahaha
>>
>>20440334
Nice b8 m8
>>
Well, in his defense giving up a seat to a local who is a regular isn't that outlandish. I just don't see exactly how that would play out. A guy tapping me on the back or the bartender saying get up he is a local etc. I really wouldn't mind, but that is exceptionally rare. Normally you would only do that if the guy was old or disabled.
>>
Do people really eat local food when they go to different countries? You do realize mcd, wdys, kfc, bk etc are all over there right?
>>
>>20436612
korean bbq*
>>
>>20441612
>travel 6000 miles across the atlantic
>first thing american does when he lands is eat a mcchicken
>>
Go to a japanese Hooters.
>>
Marugame udon is based. Green chilli one will be back soon. Cheap tempura.
>>
File: 25 bucks sushi.jpg (446 KB, 1289x1080)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
I like Sushi zanmai and Midori sushi.
>>
>>20443116
Those are some fucky lookin sooshers. Jiro would be unimpressed
>>
>>20440334
great bait, I live in tokyo
you are funny
this is actually what foreigners do
>>
File: sushi zanmai.jpg (606 KB, 2048x1536)
606 KB
606 KB JPG
>>20435917
Sushi zanmai
>>
>>20435917
I’ve never been to Japan but I watch a lot of anime so you’re probably best off finding some tonkatsu and sushi as well as Japanese curry.
>>
>>20443220
And ramen obviously.
It looks delicious.
>>
File: kAAYE9K.jpg (639 KB, 1536x2048)
639 KB
639 KB JPG
>>20443207
Yakiniku Like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS5ulsFVGBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RztijCWdbnU
>>
>>20443240
Ok but all that for a solo guy?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.