[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0909.jpg (198 KB, 1500x1500)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
Thoughts on American Chinese food?
>>
>>20429229
It's good because it removes the dog meat from the authentic recipes. Third world recipes need the White Westerner touch to make their dishes edible.
>>
Is good.
I like it about as much as authentic but when I want the one, the other just won't scratch the same itch.
>>
cheap guilty pleasure core
every chinese restaurant also has a secret chinese menu for chinese people
>>
beats authentic nine times out of nine
>>
>>20429229
delicious, I prefer it at malls. usually less chance of stringy meat and they pack those styrofoam well.
>>
>>20429229
"Mmm, good."
>>
I think it is terrible because American Chinese food made by places like Panda Express and Chinese-Americans use cultural appropriation to steal culture from real Chinese people.
How would you feel if you were Japanese and you went to a Chinese restaurant and discovered that they were putting MSG on their food?
>>
>>20429355
>Panda Express
evil and should be avoided
>MSG
based and should be used on everything, white pepper too
>>
>>20429282
>every chinese restaurant also has a secret chinese menu for chinese people

Not true at all. You are clearly retarded and never been to a Chinese restaurant.
>>
>>20429360
>based and should be used on everything, white pepper too
I'm not saying MSG is bad, but rather that it was invented by the Japanese, and the use of it by foreigners is as much a form of cultural enrichment as is the use of the N word by white people, even though I'm pretty sure Latin was never an African language.
>>
>>20429380
>never been to a Chinese restaurant
please
>>
it used to be better in higher priced suburbia choices where white meat was used copiously, and a canton steak came out sizzling on a hot plate, and soup wasn't some canned thing.

If there is in fact a secret menu, and the patrons are chinese too, it may alright

>>20429355
>use cultural appropriation to steal culture from real Chinese people.
no one Chinese cares about any restaurants cooking food or if it's authenic
>>
>>20429380
He's referring to the rats and roaches at the bottom of the deep frier.
>>
>>20429395
unironically every restaurant is like this unless you're eating at some rich steakhouse or country club
>>
>>20429388
>no one Chinese cares about any restaurants cooking food or if it's authenic
Oh, and I'll bet you think Asian people eat at Panda Express!
Ha!
Next you will tell me that Americans eat at McDonald's!
Your ignorance proves that you are a newfag.
>>
I enjoy it when it's done well with quality ingredients and meticulous preparation, but unfortunately it's rare to find a joint that does, the places that take their food seriously are catering to either actual chinese, or the >muh authenticity crowd
>>
>>20429402
>I enjoy it when it's done well with quality ingredients and meticulous preparation
Ancient Chinese Secret: monosodium glutamate, high fructose corn syrup, and sodium chloride can make even garbage meat cooked in gutter oil taste good.
>>
>>20429410
None of those items are inherently wrong, it's more about the meat quality and the freshness of the vegetables and the care in preparation, but as I'm typing this I realize you're just looking for a pretext to shitpost so my bad for responding like an autism patient
>>
File: IMG_1249.jpg (217 KB, 1000x1000)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>20429229
I love it
>>
>>20429414
>but as I'm typing this I realize you're just looking for a pretext to shitpost so my bad for responding like an autism patient
Yes, and no.
The main things that people find desirable in foods are protein, sugar, salt, and fat.
Actual nutritional value is a bonus. Sometimes people just want some cheap shit to fill up their bellies because they can't afford anything better.
Of course, nowadays it's a lot harder to use that rationale to justify eating fast food or going to restaurant unless you are so autistic that you can't cook at home.
>>
>>20429229
The highest tier of slop, some might argue it isn't slop at all. Absolutely delicious
>>
>>20429355
>cultural appropriation
>Chinese
8/10
good bait
>>
>>20429380
Wife is Chinese and orders things not on the menu all the time. Also the specials only written in Chinese on the walls of some Chinese restaurants aren't on the English menu.
>>
I wonder if some Chinese people get jobs at Panda Express so they can steal the recipes so they can pretend that they are good cooks when their friends and family visit...
>>
Aren't American Chinese restaurants somewhat popular in China, at least as a novelty?
>>
>>20429471
>Aren't American Chinese restaurants somewhat popular in China, at least as a novelty?
That's like saying McDonald's is popular in the USA as a novelty.
I mean, granted, their modern day reinterpretation of the eggs benedict is absolutely ingenious, but...
>>
>>20429471
On a trip to Shanghai I saw a Taco Bell complete with a miserable looking employee in a large sombrero. A shitty panda express could be somewhere in China just for the laughs.
>>
>>20429487
I know they tried to bring Taco Bell to Mexico multiple times and failed each time
>>
>>20429493
>I know they tried to bring Taco Bell to Mexico multiple times and failed each time
I can imagine the problem is that local Mexican shops were willing to sell their food at lower prices.
I mean, in all reality, Taco Bell in Mexico is like having Walmart in the USA. That's not quite right, since Walmart actually does sell food at decent prices.
Maybe it would be more like if the only stores in the USA sold food that was completely unaffordable to 96% of American citizens.
>>
File: ponder.png (11 KB, 470x454)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>20429355
>Chinese family-owned business sells Chinese-American fusion dishes
>this is cultural appropriation
>>
>>20429355
>cultural appropriation
Reddit, go back there
>>
>>20429282
>go to panda express
>order shark tripe soup with crushed dried sea cucumbers and pangolin tongue
>kid behind the counter makes fun of my awful spanish
>>
>>20429420
Based
Orange chicken is my go to also
>>
File: IMG_1248.jpg (825 KB, 2584x2475)
825 KB
825 KB JPG
>>20429420
Looks good
>>
>>20429380
Eh... it kind of is. I'm >>20429251
I speak middling Mandarin Chinese so it's not exactly helpful with most Chinese restaurants abroad (Cantonese and Fujianese mostly in my area) but it does help in getting some things that aren't regular menu items, if they can accommodate for it.
I'm sure that even if you don't speak Chinese, you can get some things made special if you know what to ask for.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.