[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713897120035.jpg (232 KB, 592x533)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>accidentally burn my chilli a bit
>it tastes really good

What does it mean
>>
>>20428564
How do you burn chili? It's a liquid
>>
>>20428566
It's a fruit.
>>
>>20428564
roasted chillis are my favorite, I just burn the shit out of em over an open flame grill and add them to salads and stuff. Work well with sweet onions too.
>>
>>20428571
You're a fruit
>>
>>20428564
Roasted chilies and what not get complimented by char flavor.

Or, maybe you didn't really burn it that bad and it just kinda caramelized on the bottom a bit.
>>
>>20428590
I was using a new pan and I didn't realise how how it can get so the bottom stuck to the pan a bit while I was simmering. It was easy to scrape off though but when I saw the deep brown color that reminded me of baby shit I got scared that I ruined everything but it had a rich as fuck flavor like I'd used beef stock and I was pleasantly surprised. I also like to char tomato paste to get a similar result and I think this just intesified that

I wish I had some habaneros too because it would have been great. Sadly I don't think I would be able to replicate this again
>>
>>20428564
Burnt food is for real men and it's healthy, the carbon atoms are free to bind with the toxins in your blood, allowing for the kidneys to filter them out easier.
>>
>>20428597
You can easily replicate it... get some beef stock, tomato paste and slowly simmer it down until you get a thick paste. And then scrape it off and keep it in a jar, you cab dilute it with as much or as little water as you want with future recipes.
>>
>>20428564
malliard effect
>>
>>20428618
maillard reaction*
>>
>>20428619
maillard symptom*
>>
>>20428597
you can easily replicate it by burning it again
>>
>>20428650
anas platyrhynchos*
>>
File: HOWARD.jpg (43 KB, 380x385)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>20428660
heh...
Also Maillard's syndrome
>>
>>20428564
>accidentally burn my chilli
oh shit im sorry
>>20428564
>it tastes really good
sorry for what?
>>
bump
>>
>>20428564
When I was a kid my dad burned the pasta sauce a little but I actually really liked it.

I always assumed that humans started scavenging after forest fires. Maybe we developed a taste for smoky charred food from that.
>>
i assume you are talking about the spiced meat and bean tomato soup chili and not the chili pepper

if you like that darker flavor, i recommend adding a bit of cocoa powder, baking cacao or dark chocolate. say, a half tablespoon/heaping teaspoon for a medium sized pot. or even just a squirt or two of chocolate syrup (a little sweetness is good anyway, not too much). i am also partial to a small amount of cinnamon in my chili
>>
>>20430397
last time i made chili i added too much cinnamon and it tasted like christmas eve
>>
RULES OF NATURE
>>
>>20428564
it means you like the maillard reaction, which isn't that odd
>>
>>20430396
>I always assumed that humans started scavenging after forest fires. Maybe we developed a taste for smoky charred food from that.
Did forest fires really happen enough to encode a preference?
>>
>>20430396
>I always assumed that humans started scavenging after forest fires.
Or just they didn't figure out "proper" cooking and they just ended up burning the meat a bit.
>>
>>20428564
Means you haven't been browning your meat and veg enough in the first place, meat used in chili should be almost burnt and onions should be just about fully caramelized. Tomatoes or tomato paste can be fried in the pan oil and peppers, corn if using can be roasted until blackened also. Chili is a burnt food enjoyer's paradise
>>
>>20430396
Most people just don't brown their food enough. They "brown" beef by boiling until thoroughly grey. They "brown" onions by sweating them until they're slightly translucent. Etc. Almost everything normies and boomers make can be improved by turning up the heat.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.