[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm broke now-a-days, but i need to drink beer daily to survive in this shitty world.
If you get too science-y, I'll block you.
>>
mix a bunch of 00 flour in a pot of water and add yeast. I like using sourdough starter. set it out uncovered for about a week
>>
easiest minimal investing would be buying liquid or powder malt extract, adding it to water, boiling it for like an hour with whatever hops you want, then transferring it to a sanitized food safe bucket, waiting for it to cool down a bit, then throw in your yeast. when it's done either measure out how much beer you've got and use a calculator to know how much sugar to add, or just transfer to sanitized bottles with a teaspoon of sugar, cap them, and let them sit at room temp for a couple weeks to carbonate. then throw in the fridge and drink
more investment but easier would be buy some 5 gallon kegs. you could still ferment in buckets, then add to a keg along with the amount of sugar a calculator tells you, seal it up, wait, and then you've got carbonated beer
>>
>>20426848
Malt extract is a lot more expensive than doing a simple all grain brew with only 2-row, and then tossing in some sugar for extra abv, BUT you do need to convert a 10 gallon cooler into a mash-tun to get the enzymes going. Making it nice from new stuff is a little expensive, but I could see someone putting in the work to find used trash and making it for less than 80 bucks.
>>
File: 57-86-70.jpg (124 KB, 1024x1552)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>20426795
The easiest way is to use a brew extract like picrel. They cost $15 to $20. All you need is a big container that can hold 5 gallons of liquid, and two pounds of sugar.
You fill the container with warm water, pour in the contents of the can in picrel, stir in the 2 pounds of sugar, and then add the yeast (included in the can).
Then you loosely seal the container and wait one to two weeks.
Then you have five gallons of beer.
Equivalent to 2.5 cases, or 57 cans of beer.
Works out to about 42 cents per can.
You can make it much cheaper, but this is the absolute easiest method. You just mix a couple ingredients and wait.
Tastes fine. Better than keystone light anyway.
>>
If you've never brewed before then you definitely don't have the equipment on hand to make beer but what's really easy to make is cider. Go to whatever store you have that sells nice apple cider in the big glass carboys, pick up some yeast while you're there and optionally some spices like cinnamon and so on to throw in. Put the ingredients inside and you'll have drinkable cider within a few days or so depending on how dry or sweet you want it. Then you cold crash it and keep it in the fridge since I know you aren't going to go through with pasteurizing it. Look up a simple cider guide on YouTube to understand the specifics. If you're set on making beer I would learn cider first so that you understand the basic principles of brewing, also you have to invest in some equipment
>>
>>20426795
Just get wine yeast with high abv resistance on Amazon, some of them can go all the way upto 16-20% after fermentation finished, way stronger than beer and if you're not doing it as a hobby and more as professional alcoholism, get a giant 3l apple juice jug or bigger that Walmart sells, they're cheap as shit and usually are just apple juice made from concentrate, measure out 2 cups or a bit more if you want it sweet, of granulated white sugar. Dump all the sugar in the bottle along with the yeast, shake that shit up quickly so nothing clumps and the sugar can dissolve some, and get a airlock for larger size bottles. After that, chuck that shit into a closet for 3 weeks-month, then siphon the "wine" out in New bottles while leaving as much yeast shit at the bottom as you can. Bottle it up and let it sit again, resiphon if you need to again a week later. After that it's pretty much safe to drink.. but it's not gonna taste too great. After 2-3 months or so of aging it's decent. I'd give it atleast another 2 weeks or so after siphoning after fermentation.
>>
>>20427759
You can't just buy any juice and expect it to work, you have to check that it doesn't have any preservatives that stop fermentation which many juices have
>>
File: 9780971057906-us[1].jpg (57 KB, 335x500)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
This is THE beginner's guide. I'm pretty sure it's all available for free online.
>>
>>20426923
Coopers/LME cans are definitely the way to go for cheapest method overall. The equipment and electricity required to brew from whole malt make it more expensive overall despite wholemalt being cheaper.
>>20427003
Agree, cider's the easiest method and is drinkeable after a couple days fermenting unlike mead which has to age for like a year. Last summer I made a couple gallon sized batches of cider to have with my homecooked meals, it was pretty comfy.
>>
>>20428915
what type of juice did you use? I've not done a ton of cider, and I've only used cheap filtered juice, but I've found it's super weak until it's aged a couple months, then it tastes like a proper cider. I haven't used cloudy juice or fresh pressed yet, too lazy to start another batch
>>
>>20426795
Find a one gallon container. Ideally something with an airlock (to let gas out but not in). Some places you can get a one gallon glass bottle for juice and the like, then buy an airlock from a brew store on the cheap.
Buy malt extract and whatever other crap (like their brand of sugar, brew enhancer) they recommend with it. Put it in your container and add recommended amount of water.
Buy yeast. Once the liquid reaches room temp put it in.
Wait two weeks.
Buy sugar drops for brewing (or regular sugar but you'll have to measure and do maths).
Put beer in bottles with sugar and seal.
Wait two weeks.
Put in fridge.
Open bottle. If not fizzy it's poison. If fizzy drink.

To go cheaper find a recipe and buy your own malted barley, sugar, hops, etc instead of using anything commercial.
To have it be poison less often, sanitise everything. To have even less poison buy brew wash and no rinse sanitiser.
To make better beer experiment with ingredients, temperature control, get better water, etc.
>>
>>20426848
>malt extract, adding it to water, boiling it for like an hour with whatever hops you want
They're usually hopped. No need to boil.

>>20426923
Flat beer.

>>20427003
Have to pick between fizzy and sweet. Also juice is surprisingly expensive these days.
>>
>>20428454
It is available online, or at least an early version is
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html
Also very helpful for those interested in how beer fermentation generally works without having to read several textbooks worth of course materials for an academic brewing program like Heriott-Watt or UC Davis.
>>
File: JOQfDI3.gif (54 KB, 347x693)
54 KB
54 KB GIF
>cider
i mean yeah it's dead easy to make but it's going to taste meh if you don't carbonate and that is slightly more advanced and takes time, with the risk of making bottle bombs if you overdid the priming sugar
i would just go for ghetto apple wine, check the label how many sugar the juice contains and add sugar untill you get a concentration of 200g/l which should be around 12% abv-ish
pic related. doesn't matter that much what you ferment in as long as it is clean
>>
>>20430664
maybe i should mention that a small bit of ketchup is a good source of nutrients and lowers the ph a little bit
just don't overdo it as vinigger is a preservative. tomato paste that you can add too, see if it alters the flavour significantly and if you don't like it then leave it as it is. apple juice ferments fine on its own but with some nutrients things go significantly faster

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.