[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sourdough.jpg (11 KB, 225x225)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
I've been getting into baking deserts a bit, but I keep on hearing about the wonders of sourdough bread and been thinking about trying to bake some of that.

Any of you got experience with baking sourdough bread?
>>
Ah, my friend, let me regale you with the secrets of baking sourdough bread, a veritable symphony of flavors that will transport your taste buds to realms untold! Knead with the fervor of a thousand suns, let the dough rise like a phoenix from the ashes, and bake with the patience of a saint, for the rewards shall be a crusty, golden loaf that will have you singing praises to the very heavens above!
>>
>>20422255
>Any of you got experience with baking sourdough bread?
Yes
>>
>>20422255
Just a little. I found it to be too much effort for the results I was getting. I've switched to baking bread with ordinary commercial instant yeast instead and not stressing out about fermentation or ooh-aah flavor. I just like good old plain bread.
>>
I will highjack this thread.

Why Japanese bread is so rich? So much sugar, butter and egg! It is nearly cake.
I've made one (and man I struggled because I did a dumb thing and added butter at the start so thing was insanely sticky), but I succeeded.
Do they really use this rich as fuck bread for sandwiches????

>>20422255
Sourdough bread is basically bread fermented by wild yeast. You make starter, literally water and flour, you put more flour in it "aka feed it" and eventually you will have yeast mixture.
Since it is wild yeast, they are much slower than your typical dry yeast or cube yeast, and you also have bacteria. All this means you also get fermentation and sour taste.
I personally don't really care about it. I didn't try making it, but ive bought it couple times and idk, bread is bread, my tastebuds are dead.
Some people say this is good because its more easily digestible too. Dunno.
>>
>>20422282
>Why Japanese bread is so rich?
Something to do with his they typically use rice as their staple maybe?
>>
>>20422255
Nope. Nobody on /ck/ has ever baked sourdough bread before. The idea is completely foreign. Nobody here even knows what those words mean.
>>
>>20422282
Milk bread is based but it's not all that different from regular enriched white bread, whats the issue here?
>>20422255
The bakers are the only people on this board who cook, every bread thread is full of high iq posting. If you want to get into sourdough I recommend "the perfect loaf" by Maurizio Leo and he's got a website too with some good stuff on it but if you do this keep in mind his dumb ass lives in like the mountains of Arizona and he just wrote the book without adjusting so all his hydration percentages are easily 10% too high
>>
>>20422282
>It is nearly cake
Almost like they ate US bread for years after getting nuked
>>
>>20422562
This might explain moistness and softness.
>>20422589
>Milk bread is based but it's not all that different from regular enriched white bread, whats the issue here?
There is no issue.
I just don't understand why do they like bread so sugary and rich. And making sandwich with this bread seems kinda weird.
Portuguese definitely brought various varieties of breads, including normal "flour-water-yeast-salt" type of bread to Japan, but only sweet bread stuck
>>20422920
Japanese bread existed way before nukes.
Other thing, its not american bread.
American bread (sandwich bread) is overly-processed barely edible substance. While its soft and fluffy just like Japanese bread, taste isn't there. Its like eating kitchen sponge dunked into the corn syrup.
>>
>>20422574
I guess I more wanted to ask if they thought it was worth the effort.
>>
>>20424533
It's worth the effort if you think it's worth the effort.

Be warned that your first 5 or so loaves will be total fucking garbage and you'll hate it. Sourdough is (normally) very high hydration and it will take you time to learn how to work with it. Starters also vary so you'll just have to trial and error how much time you need to ferment.

On the other hand don't be fooled by the endless clout-chasing TicTok'ers who'll feed you endless bullshit about how you have to do everything perfectly, use very specific flour, and massage the dough every 31.5 minutes on the clock for three hours straight. Humans have been making bread with wild yeast for literally millennia, it ain't that hard.
>>
>>20422255
sourdough is overrated just use instant yeast
>>
>>20422255
bread is a totally different art to cake
>>20422282
you don't have to use wild yeast you just have to use live yeast
do you think people making pizza commercially leave themselves to the wild yeast dice roll? fuck no
if you can't tell the difference between slightly sweet outrageously soft white """bread""" and a tangy aerated sourdough then i'm surprised you can even distinguish between bread and potato
>>20424544
i'd agree that it's mostly trial and error because there are just so many local variables
the basic process of getting bread on the table is easy but finding the right level of hydration for your flour, yeast, and oven is guesswork
>>
It’ll never work, that’s impossible OP.
>>
>>20424598
>you don't have to use wild yeast you just have to use live yeast
Dry stuff and "live" cube stuff is exactly the same microorganism
>do you think people making pizza commercially leave themselves to the wild yeast dice roll? fuck no
They are using dry yeast or cube yeast, not sourdough starter.
>i'm surprised you can even distinguish between bread and potato
Sometimes I cant.
>>
>>20422255
If there's one thing /ck/ is capable of it's sourdough bread. Because it's dead easy and dirt cheap to make. Mix equal weights of flour and water, put in a jar, cover with cheesecloth and wait. Remove some after a few days and add more 50/50 flour/water. The longer you do this the better your sourdough becomes. "Some" and "a few": depends on the weather. That's the only difficulty. The better the weather the more (frequent) you replace. You can begin cooking with whatever you remove.
>>
>>20422255
It requires some stuff you probably don't have already (iron pot or baking plastic are not required but really useful) and probably several attempts, but it's not that hard to do as long as you follow the recipe, plus it's really easy to make sourdough starter
Now, is it worth it? If you have a good oven and time, yes, it is, otherwise just use dry or fresh yeast (1 gram of dry equals 3 grams of live)
>>
>>20425482
My sourdough has lived continuously for 3 years and there's no tangible difference from the first month it existed. Is there an actual measurable difference in long term sourdoughs or are people just repeating this because it sounds feasible? It all depends on your feeding schedule, what you feed it and how fresh the feed is in my experience. I feel it's just a dick measuring contest to have really old sourdough starters sitting around. To the degree there are actually pay-to-use sourdough hotels.
>>
>>20425482
>>20425541
I also want to ask, what does a longer sourdough supposedly improve? This was also something I heard about it, but maybe it sounds like what
>>20424544
mentioned and it's just that people fuck up their first couple batches? Or was anon actually saying that it improves over time like everyone else does?
>>
>>20425501
Honest question, can you bake bread in a cake pan?
>>
>>20427248
Yes, it's by no standards better or comparable but you can, just get a second cake pan or something full of boiling water inside your oven to get some crunch on it, it will probably not be good but you can try

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.