[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: autismsquares.jpg (540 KB, 1302x1665)
540 KB
540 KB JPG
They got the nickname because they were developed for people with autism, but these things are quite handy even if you don't have autism. Especially for cosplayers.

Green - Feel Free to approach me and start a conversation
Yellow - Don't approach me unless I already know you
Red - Don't approach me, I'm busy

Just hanging in the hall and want people to approach you for pictures? Flip it to green. On your way to a panel/event and don't want to get stopped? Flip it to yellow. Sitting down to eat and don't want to be bothered? Flip it to red.
>>
File: 1432364441144.jpg (96 KB, 982x504)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>10906716
reminds me of these
>>
>>10906716
Yeah I'm autistic and it would help
>>
No. It's called common sense. As Craig Jelinek once said to Jim Sinegal about Costco's $1.50 hot dog combo: figure it out.
>>
I always thought that, even though they are sold as being for people with autism, their actual purpose is to protect normal people from having to interact with autists.
>>
>>10906722
Fuck so everyone would be talking with each other and I'm not approaching anyone ever again.
>>
How about if you don't want to interact with other people, don't go to a public social event? Stay home lol
>>
>>10906721
There is no "common sense"

>>10906717
much less cancerous than that shit

>>10906716
the ponycons I go to use those, I always set mine to 'green'
>>
>>10906716
No
>>
>>10906722
it's so the government knows who to round up and shoot first
>>
>>10906722
It was actually created for a resource meeting for people with autism. Autists sometimes want to meet with and speak to other people with autism. However creating a space for a group of people who don't know how to pick up on social queues is just asking for problems. Thus the signal of who wants to talk and who doesn't was required.
>>10906725
>Fuck so everyone would be talking with each other and I'm not approaching anyone ever again.
The green square means it's OK to approach people and join in on their conversations. Even if you're socially awkward, it let's you know who wants attention and who doesn't.
>>10906721
>No. It's called common sense.
Yeah, cause everyone who goes to cons has that.
>>10906743
>How about if you don't want to interact with other people, don't go to a public social event? Stay home lol
Introverts have a social battery that gets drained by interacting with other people. It doesn't mean they never want social interactions, but since cons have tickets and hotels that are booked months in advance, neurodivergent people have no idea what their mood is going to be on that day.

I really don't get the push-back on this. It's just a simple way of conveying without communicating that you don't want to talk to strangers right now. Enlighten me. Tell me why you would be against this other than "I'm a complete asshole who deserves the attention of other people." Prove me wrong.
>>
>>10906809
I like it for the same reason I like and have success at dating apps, it shows me who is open to the possibility of meeting new people so I know I'm not bothering them. I don't ever approach people in public all my friends I have been introduced to through other friends, and all romantic relationships I have been have been through dating apps.
>>
>>10906809
>Introverts have a social battery that gets drained by interacting with other people.
for the last time, that has nothing to do with being introverted. social exhaustion can happen to extroverts. introvert vs extrovert just refers to how they like to deal with social interactions. for instance i am an introvert who only talks to 2 people day to day but i can talk to them 24/7, where as my cousin who is an extrovert and loves to interact with people has a pretty small social battery which he hates because it's counterintuitive to him being a social butterfly. people need to stop conflating social battery with intro/extroversion because while related, they aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
This is retarded. Autists should be in social skills therapy so they can interact with normal people. Not making normal people accommodate autists
>>
>>10906827
>This is retarded
No shit, just like most con attendees.
>>
>>10906809
>social battery
typical millennial pseudo-science bs
>>
>>10906827
as a normal person, a system to convey "fuck off don't talk to me" without having to say a word to tactless autists sounds pretty great
>>
>>10906860
autists aren't going to respect this, all this is is a visible social cue. autists barely respect when you tell them to fuck off, with this they have to look at your badge and remember the meaning of the colors and make a conscious decision to respect it. i'd rather tell them to fuck off than have them get close enough to me to read my badg. this kind of thing is damaging anyway because people use those skills outside of cons, it's unfair to introduce them in certain publicly accessible settings.
>>
I neef those to make sure everyone around me knows how special I am.
>>
>>10906721
not how autism works, redditfag
>>
>>10906820
Chill. It's just like spoons theory or forks theory. It doesn't apply to everyone, they're just examples to attempt to explain what it's like for other people. Everyone's brain works differently whether if they're a normie or neurodivergent.

>>10906876
Not every person with autism is ASD-3. If a person had ASD-1 you probably wouldn't know unless they told you. ASD-2 people can be trained on how to socially interact but sometimes need some help. ASD-3 shouldn't be in public without a handler.
>>
>>10908698
how about you stop using terms incorrectly if you want to prove a point. introvert and extroverts are specific things and social battery is not related to them in they way you posed it at all. all i did was tell you not to conflate them because it's a tired stereotype. it's useless to give examples of something you've gotten wrong to begin with.
>>
As someone who has real trouble interacting with people, and recognising people (but without any diagnosis) how should I know that we know each other well enough that I can approach you when you wear a yellow badge? No offense intended, just curious
>>
File: Symbolization.jpg (91 KB, 635x357)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>10906809
>I really don't get the push-back on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYahi-Y3O50
>>
I wouldn't use this as a sped to be honest. Basically a giant plaque signaling that I'm a retard. Why should I use that? I'm trying to hide the fact that I'm autistic.
>>
>>10910493
They generally give them out to everyone
>>
>>10906789
>I always set mine to 'green'
Does anyone talk to you?
>>
>>10906789
Generally curious how did the cards work?
>>
>>10910617
I think so yeah

>>10910629
You put the green-yellow-red stickers and flip them to whatever (ie as someone said a busy cosplayer can set hers to red, someone running a meetup to green etc)
>>
>>10909076
That becomes a bit of a gray area, but the general rule of thumb is if they know your name, it's probably safe to talk to them. However, for some people it means they only wanted to be approached by close friends. Just know that yellow means they may not be in their best mood so don't get offended if they brush you off.

>>10910629
As a cosplayer they worked great for me. Lots of people stop and ask me and my friends for pictures and sometimes I'm just not up for posing for photos.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.