[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (992 KB, 604x755)
992 KB
992 KB PNG
You need to learn how to vibe and talk to people at conventions. If you're underage that's one thing. If you're old enough you should budget for a hotel room so you can party and party with strangers and make new friends. The best part about conventions is meeting people and subsequently running into them at other cons in other years and it's all so fucking beautiful. It's the only time you don't have to suppress your powerlevel because guess what? They know all the dumb memes you do and have a lot of overlap in interests and other things you enjoy. You can ask someone why they're green and actually learn something about Startrek because they fucking love star trek so much they painted themselves green! SO WHEN I ASK THEM THEY ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO GUSH ABOUT THE SHIT THEY LOVE! I FUCKING LOVE NERD CONVENTION SHIT HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: 1668396824028.png (749 KB, 808x853)
749 KB
749 KB PNG
I feel that one, anon. Both the male and female posters here seem to lose sight of this for their own reasons ("IT'S OVER" doomposting, getting up on their moral policing high horse) Thankfully the ones that actually come out for meetups are pretty much always cool, and sometimes they'll make the whole weekend
>The best part about conventions is meeting people and subsequently running into them at other cons in other years
Yep, never gets old. Cheers.
>>
I try that, but noone really likes me
Especially women...
>>
File: deathspotlight.jpg (28 KB, 350x200)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>10902658
then stop being a bitch and/or sexpest.
>>
File: cultured man.jpg (42 KB, 679x375)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>10900752
You get it
Seeing people at other events you met at before and having catch-up drinks is THE BEST FEELING
>>
EXACTLY i tend to be a bit of an autist at cons but seeing someone in the hall and going ...I KNOW YOU! will never lose its magic. listening to people talk about shit they're passionate about and vice versa, stupid drunk debates, having someone freak out over your cosplay and vice versa FUCK I LOVE CONVENTIONS. last con i went to a bunch of strangers in barbie cosplays shouted me down the hall and gave me a jello shot out of a cowboy hat because i was cosplaying a cowboy character. nowhere else bro
>>
File: file.png (16 KB, 96x96)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>10902898
This is that shit that makes it all so magical. Don't go to a convention for any reason other than to have fun and you will never be disappointed. I used to go thinking
>oh I'll find that merch I can't get
>oh I'll talk to some e-celeb
>oh I'll go to that panel
nowadays I just go eat a good meal get two drinks and ask people if they're supposed to be a gnome, then just like that stuff happens.
>>
>>10900752
Why would I want to do that?

Most of these people are completly clueless about hygiene or social standards, why would I want to "party" with them? With "nerds"? What the fuck is wrong with you? lol
>>
>>10904888
lose weight + wasted trips
>>
I just wanna get drunk with randos at the next con. Is it that much to ask for.
>>
OP, I share your passion so much. Also, it's in the con floor where it's at. You never know when someone is going to gush all over your costume, when someone with 2 milion followers will ask you a picture and you'll only find out, or when a TV news station will interview you, or you'll find someone from the same franchise you're cosplaying.

It's the best game of chance you can play, ever. Some people will never understand it. That's why I go to as much conventions as I can. It's a wonderful place to be.
>>
>>10904949
confirmed
only been to two conventions yet and also never cosplayed before
but I want to get into cosplay (somehow... got no idea where and how to start)
and I want to visit more conventions, I'll do that until im 35 haha
>>
you are respressed because you're an introvert with unorthodox taste
I am repressed because I am insane
we are not the same
>>
I would get a hotel IF IT DIDN"T GET BOOKED OUT IN 10mins!!! Some day I will get into colossalcon!
>>
>>10905475
Just room with somebody else. CC is the one and only con I know where absolutely no one stays by themselves
>>
>>10905475
10 minutes? More like 10 fucking seconds. People have bots that buy that shit up, and I've yet to see someone with rooms open for stragglers. Just get a nearby hotel, one can walk a mile hammered if they have to.
>>
>>10905475
You don't actually HAVE to stay at the hotel closest to the convention center, bro. Basically any good one is going to have hotels by the dozen within spitting distance.
>>
>>10900752
I'm scared I'll spill my spaghetti
>>
>>10907226
Under any other circumstance, I'd agree. With ColossalCon, it's non-negotiable. Sleeping in the parking lot is better than booking off site, especially when (not exaggerating) Holiday Inn is going for $400 a night that weekend
>>
For those struggling to talk with people, I'd strongly recommend the YouTube channel Charisma on Command. This channel has helped me relax, understand social queues I wouldn't understand before, and make friends easier.

https://www.youtube.com/@Charismaoncommand
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (240 KB, 1280x720)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>10907319
Start. Doing. THIS.
>>
>>10907319
A lot of it is blatant PUA/self-help tier bullshit but he does make good points.
>>
You can just smell the desperate lonely male energy in this thread.

Good lord.
>>
>>10902898
yup one of the best parts of cons are the random interactions like that of everyone just having a great time together despite being total strangers. never felt more welcome than at a con and it was because con people were just so awesome to me
>>
>>10904712
I wish I could do this, but at this point I have too much of an age gap (31) between me and the average con goer
>>
>>10908957
That's never stopped me
t. turned 32 while at a con this last weekend
>>
>>10908961
Me neither another 32 year old.
>>
>>10908957
>>10908961
>>10908994
See, it's no problem if we all go together. Don't let zoomers take over.
>>
>>10908997
Zoomers are cool man, ever since I was 18 I partied with dude all the way up their 50s. I show the same respect down.
>>
>>10908997
As long as zoomers aren't virtue signalling wokescolds does it matter? There's at least one thirsty nigga who isn't exactly much younger than you doing the male feminist shtick. (ask in the ACEN thread)
>>
File: IMG_4484.jpg (580 KB, 1988x3056)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
>>10900752
Every time I come home from a con my friend list gets a little bigger. Especially at photo shoots. I have friends that run con room parties, so that helps. Last con I went to, not only did I meet cool guys, but we might get a presidential suite at ALA so, that’s pretty cool.
Joining an online cosplay group was the best way to meet new people.
>>
>>10908957
Lmao go to Dragoncon you'll be younger than the average con goer.

Though that's also why it's super expensive, bunch of richie rich gen x/boomers coughing up thousands for a weekend trip.
>>
>>10909026
yeah i honestly don't understand the weird age segregation thing some people try to push at cons. we were all the 18 year old congoer at one point, and most of us on this board will be the 40-50 year old congoer in a few years. it's just life.

though a lot of zoomers do seem to have a nastier attitude about 30+ year old congoers than i remember when i was young. as a teenager i looked up to older con and fandom veterans and wanted to be seen as cool enough to hang out with them. nowadays, too many zoomers act like you're geriatric once you turn 25, and it's frustrating when it bleeds into irl interactions.
>>
>>10910679
>though a lot of zoomers do seem to have a nastier attitude about 30+ year old congoers
>nowadays, too many zoomers act like you're geriatric once you turn 25
They do that with each other too, so I can give them points for consistency but none for being pathetic. It's obviously just an excuse not try anyway
>>
>>10910679
>>10909026
i think the issue is that zoomers don't like older people. i look younger than i am, i'm only 29 and even older zoomers act like i am 50+ so i don't bother saying my age anymore.
>>
>>10910681
I've had a very opposite reaction so it probably just depends on who. One sub-21 zoom was shocked when I told him I was 29 at the con, he was fine with it but I had to block him when he wouldn't stop asking me for nudes. Another 20y/o later I told him I was 30 after he was climbing all over my lap at a rave said he had no idea but still asked me to hang out after con was over.
>>
File: 1698708206787.jpg (580 KB, 940x1333)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
>>10910671
Spoken like someone who knows how to live it up. I'll drink to that. There are so many cons where I'll be disappointed that I ONLY stayed out till 1, ONLY got X many photo ops, ONLY felt 6/10 tipsy. Then I read posts from people here, sometimes even at the same event, who wallow in regret about doing nothing. Is that a representative sample? No, but it does bring me back down to Earth. Even if things don't live up to my expectations, I always try and definitely take more chances than not
>>
>>10900752
You'll grow out of it once you hit 30. There's no one worth befriending at anime cons, trust me.
>>
>>10909026
Zoomers literally hate anyone above the age of 24 lol
I met some in my early 20s like me and they made fun of my 28 year old friend before I told them to fuck off. ALA is the worst with this btw.
>>
>>10910682
i should have specified because that's my experience basically with zoomer guys, girls however seem to think they're all shining beauties even though they don't know how the fuck to do makeup.
>>
>>10910751
In general, women at cons aren't worth interacting with to befriend or even have friendly conversation with, even as another women.
They literally all have superiority complexes, and to be fair, it's not hard to have one when you consider that 95% of the men there are tripping over themselves to find their precious congoing gf.
Sometimes you can find normal, funny dudes though.
>>
>>10910671
>but we might get a presidential suite at ALA so, that’s pretty cool.
Yo, I was planning on trying to hit ALA for the first time this year and I would kill to get that kind of party there, as someone who direly needs more friends and especially more confriends.
When you say friend list do you mean like Facebook, Discord, what?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.