[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>the year is 2017
>everyone at the con is checking their streetpasses every 30 minutes
we'll never get this back, and it hurts so much
>>
went to a con this year, i got quite a bit desu. not as much as the glory days of years back, but you can still get them. the biggest tip here is to use the dlc with the 100 person line so you can shove everyone there and get room for new people
>>
>>10899903
makes me happy to hear some cons still have this as part of their culture, I miss grinding for hats trying to make my mii match my cosplay
>>
>>10899898
2017 is a bit late for that, this is like 2013.

2016 Pokemon Go era was a fucking sight to behold though.
>>
>>10899947
>2016 Pokemon Go era was a fucking sight to behold though.
I miss the summer of 2016 so much
>>
>>10899898
I'm going to a con in a couple weeks, and honestly considering bringing my 3DS and just leaving it on but closed inside my bag to see if I get any hits. I think I got a couple the last time I did it.

But yeah. Nintendo should bring back Streetpass with the Switch 2, just fucking do something fun for the players.
>>
>>10899898
I started going to more cons and stuff in the past year or so and I've managed to still get a decent amount of Streetpasses over time. There's still some people out there doin' the same!
>>
>>10899898
I feel sad that there is so much that I didn't participate in.
>>
>>10900018
it actually was crazy how much fun everybody had with pokemon go. i get it was a mega fad and the game got progressivly worse apparently, but i feel like everybody was just so happy and i think since pandemic theres just no joy like that
>>
>>10899898
oh also the best street pass i even got was "im a shotacon" when i was about 13 lol
>>
>>10899947
mid-late 2010's really was the golden age of cons wasn't it?
>>
>>10899898
>Go to one of the bigger cons near me last year
>Got 3
The good Leon Kenedy cosplayer had his specialized but the rest was randos.
Mine was just the mii and message of the japanese 3DS owner I bought it off of because I got it for 40$ to jailbreak lmao.
>>
File: streetpass peeps.jpg (3.82 MB, 4160x3120)
3.82 MB
3.82 MB JPG
Good times, my save got corrupted though so I'd have to start all over again
>>
File: F0QhVjUaUAEVy-9.jpg (97 KB, 980x628)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>10900384
attendance at magfest is at or more than it was in 2015 - 19k last year

the difference is that the nostalgia bait panels that used to appeal to you now appeal to zoomers
>>
File: 1697052879321908.png (106 KB, 236x236)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>hundreds of new streetpasses by the time an Anime Expo ended
Take me back
>>
>>10900384
It felt like there was more variety. People actually cosplayed from a ton of different things. I feel like every con is the same shit these days. Maybe it’s because I was a teenager attending cons from 2011-2016 but I used to get genuinely excited to meet people, make cosplays, and learn new things. People in general felt friendlier, too.

Maybe I’m just getting old
>>
>>10899898
Same but 2007-2010 Nintendo DS pictochat
>>
>>10899898
>Chuggaaconroy will never ger all the streepasses he needs for pokemo and get all the medals
I hate cancel culture :(
>>
>>10900765
I'm in the same general age range and I definitely do feel like it's a mixture of both cons being objectively different and me just getting older. 2008-2016~ cons felt like they were genuinely people who were there for passion out of the things they liked, modern cons feel like a lot of people aren't actually attracted to specific anime or media they love but feel like they like just this general semi-ironic "idea" of anime that gets taken in a more ironic tone. FotM anime feel samey-r and shit feels way more stupidly sexualized.

I'm not really that big on panels either but they feel like they've also switched from people going in-depth on interesting niche hobbies to just people wanting an excuse to talk about themselves.
>>
>>10900384
And then...
Corona happened...
>>
>>10899898
Best to get them streetpasses at retro video gaming cons now! I point to Classic Game Fest in Austin, Texas as a great example where you can still receive dozens of streetpasses a day! For those on the coasts, maybe try PAX again?
>>
>>10900806
pictochat ruled, so bummed that the 3ds didn't have it
>>
>>10900580
just use one of your other 3DS' tye
>>
>>10900026
I went to a con for a day back in January and I managed to get around 25+ people! Very humbling to see folks still using their 3DSes. ( Reminds me to put some new batteries into my Pokéwalker... hope that shit hasn't corroded yet)

Definitely going to bring my 3DS again to the big con in a few weeks. Hoping to get more travelers in Tomodachi Life!
>>
>>10899898
went to a japanese airport and my streetpassed got bukkake'd
>>
I'll be taking my 3DS to the next con I go to :D
>>
>Jailbroke a japanese 3DS last year
>Took it to a medium con
>Biggest in the area at the time
>3 street passes
>Only one of note was a Leon cosplayer
Should've taken one to AnimeNYC or NYCC to see, but there's no good video game cons outside of PAX on the east coast.
>>
>>10899898
Well, we can only hope something like Streetpass makes a return to the next Nintendo console...
>>
>>10901000
>Chuggaaconroy
He got cancelled???
>>
>>10906630
Yeah, there's multiple youtube videos about it. It's all very retarded though. He dated a 15 y/o when he was 19 back in 2010, and has apparently been a sexpest about his foot fetish kink to a couple of people (including a troon lol).

A different youtuber from the same Let's Play guild Chugga was in dated me when I was 14 back in 2008 even though he was 23 at the time. It was just a different era back then, where fucked up shit like that slipped through the cracks and nothing was done about it aside from my parents screaming at me and breaking us up. Nothing was ever publicized about it and everything was through Skype.
>>
>>10906673
Yeah I read up about it. Honestly, just seems like he was being a typical weird guy you'd ignore IRL, even moreso online. All that shit about being traumatized and how brave the girls are is retarded lmao.
>>
>>10899898
I still use my 3DS and have been playing pokemon moon lately. Sucks since everyone is on the switch now, I will nevee get one.
>>
wtf i have a 3ds and im going to a con this weekend what do i do to get street passes
>>
>>10907215
Turn on your 3ds
Close it and carry it around
If you're lucky and get one then the light on the upper right should glow green.

What con are you going to?
>>
>>10907223
detour

cosplaying leon friday strangely enough
>>
>>10900384
No lol that was the downfall
Late 00s to early 10s was the only good time to go to cons
>>
Kinda wanna try getting my 3DS out of storage for a few cons now. I haven't gone to a con since 2017, though. I don't even know what the big shows are now, but it might be fun to hang out.
>>
>>10900384
>>10900765
Mid-late 2010's was one of the worst times to go to cons in history. Streetpasses were fun (I didn't have a 3DS but my frens did so I go to see secondhand how fun they were), but everything else was either worse than it is now or laid the groundwork for the bad things going on at cons today.
>the fucking Deadpools everywhere
>every con had a major presence from one of the two major streaming services of the time, a lot of the prime time panels were those studios shilling their shit, general cluelessness of or uninformed hostility towards torrenting started here because they were pushing their shit so hard
>costhots being advertised as main events (they still get advertised in modern cons but in their own containment sections), which ruined casual cosplaying and turned it into a tryhard thing
>cosplays you'd see is 50% the current or last season's FOTM thing, 25% Deadpools, 25% everything else
>general pre-MeToo "don't look at me, rapist!" hostility in the community (people want to memoryhole this, but dating for the bottom 80% was actually worse back then because there was a legal risk to being rejected)
>if your con was during pride month people would show up with their pronouns flags and sometimes cons would seem like pride parades because of all the flags (didn't really bother me but I remember anons here being upset about it at the time)

I'd even go as far as to say that cons are better now in the post-covid era than they were back then. They're different and some of the good stuff from back in the mid 2010's is gone, but corporate not being at most cons will be a huge plus in the coming years, plus people are less hostile to being approached now.
>>
>>10899898
I got hundreds of streetpasses from comicon 2016
take me back
>>
>>10908946
You meant this post to be cynical but as someone who's just now getting into the con scene I find it very encouraging for the future
>>
>>10909224
I wasn't being cynical when it comes to cons in the current decade. Cons now are still not as good as 00's cons, but they're way better than 2010's cons. The only big thing I miss from the 2010's that's gone now is viewing rooms since they were somewhere to go when you ran out of things to do and didn't feel like going through the dealer hall for the fifth time.
>>
Is it still possible to do local? Example, acnl locally? Thanks
>>
>>10900384
Pre-2009 was peak conventions.

Basically just people interested in anime, games and Jrock.
That was before they started milking Marvel/DC movies, so you didn't have to deal with people cosplaying cringe Super Heroes™ at cons.

No cancel culture around that time either (People didn't see "Boothbabes" as a problem that can LITERALLY DESTROY THE SOCIETY), we didn't have organizers dedicating panels to discuss "diversity" or "how we must do X in order to fight against Y in the gaming industry".

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.