[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bro.png (24 KB, 650x450)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
old one's gone
>>
Do Homestuck fans even still exist? Hussie killed them all when he published the epilogues, right? Does anyone cosplay from HS^2?
>>
>>10894363
HS2 recently started back up again, so there may be a renaissance coming
>>
>>10894363
>>10894382
Does anyone give a fuck about ^2? It's literal garbage fanfiction with random OC donut steel fancharacters and weird awkward adult relationship drama. It's impossible to even imagine that the epilogues and ^2 aren't deliberate attempts to kill off the former fanbase's interest.
>>
>>10894419
evidently, a lot of people. the patreon is pretty big. not everyone is as bitter as you are
>>
>>10894431
Because "Yiffany" or whatever the fuck is totally going to be the top cosplay of 2024.
>>
>>10894443
you act like homestuck characters weren't exactly this stupid in the original.
>>
>>10894447
i mean the humans werent
>>
>>10894631
they were, actually. jade gets furried before the trolls even show up. dave and john are both absurd premises. rose turns into a lovecraft monster. don't even get me started on the alphas. homestuck was always stupid, you're just not 16 anymore
>>
>>10894317
went to my local convention and missed the only two hs cosplayers, luckily my hs friend was there to keep my company, he had a nepeta shirt.
>>
>>10894659
not that anon but I read Homestuck for the first time last year (in my mid 20s) and you're definitely overstating it. The beta kids were silly but in the same way that characters in contemporary webcomics were, they were absurd but not over the top. Hussie just took some stereotypes and pushed them one step past believable. It wasn't until Act 6 that the actual goofiness started showing up. That being said, Yiffany isn't worse than, say, Caliborn in terms of how fucking stupid the character is.
>>10894382
It's back with James Roach at the helm so people were cautiously optomistic about it but they aren't going to be retconning anything so all the worst parts of the sequel that everyone hated are still going to be there.
>>
>>10899085
caliborn was mildly amusing at least, Yiffani is just... so... tumblr. Her existence implies the single most out of character moment of the entire series, getting rid of all of Rose's and Kanaya's relationship just for a lulz XD so random moment
I think the problem is the lack of consistency, the characters do things forcefully just to drive the plot forward, so their actions dont necessarily have to allign with their preestablished personality
I read both homestuck and h^2 a couple of years ago being a teen and one thing definitely seemed more dumb than the other
>>
File: caliborn-edits.jpg (264 KB, 2048x2048)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>10894363
I only post about it ironically on some 4chan affiliated discords. I can never hate what Homestuck once was considering how fun of a ride it was but i sure hate what it has become and the current wider fandom. Trannies ruin everything
>>
>>10899124
yeah it's almost like the entire plot of the epilogues and hs2 involved dirk hijacking the narrative (similar to what cali born did) and controlling all the relevant characters in ways they wouldn't have normally acted.
>>
>>10899138
hussie is also trans and has explicitely stated multiple times that the "toblerone wish" shit was a ruse and all of the tranny shit was intended from the beginning. you are just stupid.
>>
>>10899183
Oh i don't doubt that Hussie has become mentally ill too, but he wasn't at the time
>>
>>10894363
all the 2013 Homestuck fans are trans now
>>
>>10894363
i started reading last year. impossible to discuss anything with anyone because I like all the "weird" characters and i kinda hate homestuck anyway
>>10899138
agreed. Hussie is a faggot and i wanna break his nose.
>>
So how do we feel about psycholonials? The story was mid but I enjoyed the aesthetics, maybe I'm just clouded by foolish nostalgia. I'm planning a mizzlebip cosplay soon. Really just wanna know how badly I'll be *ahem* clowned on
>>
>>10899187

Can confirm all the people from my old Homestuck cosplay group all became trans
>>
>>10901057
nta, everyone else from my high school Homestuck fan friend group either trooned out or developed a cluster b mental illness. or both.

I’m actually rereading it right now, forgot how funny the first 4 acts are. and how dedicated the cosplay community was, such that I remember seeing props of every single ridiculous item John uses for like one page.
>>
>>10901057
something about homestuck queers people out, i'm honestly confused when a homestuck fan isn't a fag
>>
>>10901137
When I learn that someone is into Homestuck I'll assume they aren't cishet.
I remember at meet and we were sitting around a table and everyone was asked, one person at a time, if they were cishet, and everyone explained how they weren't. Luckily they didn't get to asking me.
>>
File: 05454.gif (11 KB, 650x450)
11 KB
11 KB GIF
finally got around to rereading and actually finishing homestuck recently. wondering how important and/or good the spinoffs are (hiveswap, the epilogues, beyond canon, etc.) and if they're actually worth a read, would like to hear your thoughts
>>
>>10904273
i enjoyed friendsim quite a bit, the epilogues and post canon you'll either love or hate with no in between. as far as i know all of it is "semi canon" meaning "as canon as you want it to be"
>>
>>10904273
Hiveswap's alright, everything else is complete garbage.
>>
>>10904273
Hiveswap and Friendsim feel like passable fanfiction a teenage fan would have written during the height of the comic's popularity 10-12 years ago. Not particularly incredible but if you really want content specifically in that universe/with those characters to scratch an itch it'll do.

The epilogues are a giant intentionally-bad shitpost written to intentionally spite fans. They're kinda funny in just how bizarre they get. ^2 is just bullshit all around and not worth bothering with.
>>
File: IMG_20240311_225525.jpg (680 KB, 1441x1920)
680 KB
680 KB JPG
Okay so who else is going/cosplaying?
>>
>>10905773
no fucking way theyre doing it again
>>
>>10905773
>Homestuck has been reduced to nothing other than a yearly theming event at one (1) random socal coffee shop
Viz really has buyers' remorse huh
>>
>>10905773
going to another con as bro strider, seems easy enough as a first cosplay
>>
>>10905773
this is in my hometown and last time I visited the workers were handing out flyers at the front door because they were trying to unionize because it sucks to work there so much. The inside is really cool though
>>
File: colon dee.png (16 KB, 500x437)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
I saw a cute Gamzee cosplayer at a local con a couple of weeks back. She mentioned she was there with a Terezi too but I never saw them unfortunately.
Homestuck fans are an endangered species these days but it's nice to know they (we) still exist.
>>
>>10907214
It’s kind of sad. I remember how crazy being a homestuck was a decade ago when I started going to cons. We were all over cons in swarms and you could immediately make new friends with other homestuck cosplayers. I miss that energy/feeling so much and I feel like nothing will ever replicate it.

It might sound cringe, but I’m so grateful for homestuck. I have some really close friends who are also my group of con buddies and it’s all because I met one of them back in 2012 through homestuck
>>
>>10907379
I'm jealous of your experience. I know people meme about the sharpie thing and the general clusterfuck direction of the comic (especially post-Cascade) but there's really nothing like it even today.
I'm going to be at a con on 4/13 and attempting a pretty basic bitch Bro cosplay so I'm hoping to all that is holy that I meet at least one other HS fan out in the wild.
>>
>>10907379
Homestuck is what got me into cons. It may be cringe but those were some great fucking times. Me and my friends used to use the pesterchum app on PC to message eachother after school and it was a pretty fun place to connect w random RPers of varying quality. There was a gigantic spin the bottle Homestuck circle for multiple years in a row at my local con that mostly devolved into shipping discussions and no actual kissing. Gray paint everywhere. Take me back.
>>
>>10907381
I just went to a sub 1000 people con and managed to see a Kankri and a Terezi together. Would've said hi if it was anyone but fucking Kankri.
>>
>>10908400
>pesterchum app
Holy shit I almost forgot about that. Me and my friends used to message each other on there after school too lol. Good times

>gigantic spin the bottle
I think you mean spin the faygo lol. We used to have those at cons too although unfortunately ours had actual kissing. My friends and I never joined in because we were all 17-21 when we started going to cons and the circles seemed to be primarily 13-15 year olds (that didn’t stop some very obvious adults from making out with some very obvious minors, but that’s a whole other story.) We would walk by those circles and it was so uncomfortable/weird to see two high schoolers frenching each other while surrounded by other high schoolers cheering them on
>>
>>10908400
I remember having some great RPs on MSPARP back in the day. I miss it.
I felt like I really missed out on the Homestuck con craze because I didn't have the money or expertise to attempt the Homestuck cosplays I wanted until literal years later (I did my first Homestuck cosplay in 2022 when I'd been waiting for an opportunity since 2013).
>>
File: shittyfoamarm.png (1.83 MB, 1080x1231)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
>>10908457
The cosplay standard is a lot higher now which kills some of the fun for me. In 2014 people were running up to me excited to take a picture with me because of picrel. Upd8 culture and rushing to make closet cosplays was the most fun I've ever had in a fandom.
>>
>>10908462

cosplay standard was shit at my local con this year. believe in yourself and your cardboard gundam soul, you're still putting in more heart than the few who bothered to dress up in their unironed aliexpress outfits. i would have approached you for pix in this just because thank god someone putting effort into actually repping a fandom, maybe we can chat about it a moment

maybe it's because of this impression, that a few people with big tiktoks are cranking out constant professional stuff as a career so why should anyone else even try. and with fewer trying fewer are posting and fewer are researching. i don't see cosplay tutorial posts floating around in the general fandom melange anymore either, and i saw when i greyed up last year that basic skills are being lost, such as bodypaint technique. We solved this problem a decade ago, it shocked me to see smears in 2023 (on other people, not me. i wore alcohol paint)
>>
>>10908476
>believe in yourself and your cardboard gundam soul
I wanna embroider that shit on a pillow, thanks anon, you are so right. That shit has soul.
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: gamzee.png (60 KB, 857x816)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>10909323
>>10909325
Im not the biggest fan of HS^2 like the other guy but the designs fuck despite karkat being a literal mgs parody
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>10905773
Will be attending but not cosplaying. Shame it seems like the alcoholic drinks are only at the ticketed events.
>>
File: 1713036716367.jpg (541 KB, 1280x960)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
Happy 4/13 I guess
>>
Happy 4/13 Everyone
Worst than last years looool

Hope Anons going to the event will post pics here
>>
i cant believe im actually reading a homestuck thread when i havent been into hs in literally ten years.
>>
>>10910171
OH MY GOD IT IS. I COMPLETELY FORGOT. just by chance is the day i click the cosplay banner ad????????????????????? bitch tf
>>
>>10904273
the epilogues were literally ohysically and even more so painfully tortourous to read. With the john-snot-drool thing i literally gagged irl
>>
Happy 4/13! I cosplayed a super basic Bro at a con today.
>>
>>10908457
man i wen ton msparp all the time. I was a dirk who met an android HAL on there, and we became friends and talked on skype everyday for years. It ended up going super super toxic and i got obsessed, but honestly I can say id never been so in love with anyone in my entire life. That relationship changed me, it was like... well, it was a lot. I would save the skype chats, but I cant get into the accounts anymore because I dont have the emails or the phone numbers.... I tried doing microsoft supports but nothing worked. It was a crazy time, I just hope I can experience emotions and feelings somewhere even close to that degree again. Preferably irl this time though instead of just online. But yeah that friendship changed my life
>>
>>10910236
i met friends on msparp im still friends with today
>>
File: 20240416_144819.jpg (433 KB, 2268x4032)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
I went today and it was kinda dead sadly, given it was a Tuesday afternoon but whatever. A few people did show up in cosplay and such later on so that was nice, I chatted with some...Kinda awkward.

By the ballpit they had a notebooks to draw and leave a doodle. I might go again near the weekend and see if more people turn up.
>>
File: DoodleStuck.jpg (328 KB, 2048x1152)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
>>
>>10910637
Okay I’m in love with Karcup
>>
>>10910635
Were the waffle and soup really the only food items? Was hoping to get some variety to go with all the drinks... Oh well. I'm looking forward to drawing and leaving some stickers next week.
>>
>>10910697
Yeah sadly, they also have some regular normal menu cakes and such. But it's never available lol. I've seen others bring in outside food tho.
>I'm looking forward to drawing and leaving some stickers next week.

Have fun anon
>>
>>10910707
Nice to know at least! Thanks, and I hope you have a fun time too if you do go again. I'm sure the weekend crowd will be more lively [spoiler]but still awkward[/spoiler]
>>
Does anyone still cosplay Homestuck at cons or are events like Requiem the only socially acceptable place to do it now?
>>
>>10910788
Yeah people still cosplay homestuck at cons, but it’s not in droves like it used to be a decade ago. I have seen a slight uptick in homestuck cosplays since cons started back up post covid though
>>
>>10910788
If I could get away with it in Alabama you can get away with it anywhere
I saw another one there too
>>
>>10910788
I saw about a dozen at Sak but not in a powwow circle or anything. I think this year being a significant anniversary and cons being back to normal is helping.
>>
>>10894382
>HS2 renaissance
Jesus fucking christ just let Homestuck stay dead.
>>
File: 1713673654395.jpg (254 KB, 1080x813)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>10910932
>Jesus fucking christ just let Homestuck stay dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrhTB2Sij8c
>>
>>10899185
Did Hussie actually troon?? For real??
>>
>>10910942
I think Hussie was considering using gender-neutral pronouns at some point, but the Wikipedia page for him still uses male pronouns and the wikipedia faggots would absolutely have switched if there was a solid reason to so idk.

At the very least Hussie seems to know that Homestuck is a dead IP and really wants nothing to do with it anymore, and I can't say I blame him.
>>
>>10910956
I just want them to finish up Hiveswap so I can finally get some fucking closure
>>
>>10910942
he said he's clowngender and uses any pronouns, so probably.
>>
>>10910942
>>10911018
Roach and all his personal friends still use male pronouns for him, so I suspect clowngender was a halfassed way to stay hip with the kids and avoid cancellation for being a straight man who did racist comics and has a track record of dating women 20 years younger than him.
>>
File: IMG_0336.jpg (1.06 MB, 2310x2331)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
Went back for more(tm)
Shit was nice and had a bit more people there enjoying themselves. In cosplay and causal homestuck themed outfits
WAyyyy more drawings, all great

Yall think they'll done this event again?
>>
>>
File: 20240424_163711.jpg (404 KB, 2268x4032)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
Cringe but whatever.
I dont wanna spam here and I'll just post more shit on my twitter but heyoo.

Funny enough, I spoke of 4chan in the cafe and some lard gave me a look lmao.

going back on actual cosplay talk, when it comes to painting skin grey, what are good products or brands for it?
>>
>>10911604
>2 Junes
>no Johns
>>
File: 20240424_162518.jpg (497 KB, 4032x2268)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>10911607
For you dude
>>
>>10911608
zoosmell pooplord, my liege

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.