[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2063.jpg (772 KB, 4002x2652)
772 KB
772 KB JPG
Sewing Thread: post your sewing related questions here.

What threads do you guys use? I need recommendations for strong wholesale thread sites
>>
what is the best brand of sewing machine?
>>
>>10865253
I hear praises about Wawak. The brands I hear that are most commonly recommended are Gutterman and Coats & Clark.
>>
>>10866921
The Cosplay Help FAQ has you covered.
FAQ (last updated: May 19th, 2023): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-URQl5wxxBzP4-VWfMKfLG8ZqOkGt9Yoyo6Qbm333vs/edit?usp=sharing
>>
What project(s) are you currently working on, anons? Pictures encouraged!

I'm currently finishing up Cowboy Barbie and Ken for the movie premiere. I just ordered supplies for my boyfriend's costume. I wanted to get some white floral applique but Ken's is so unique that I'd have to make it. My boyfriend said just go for HTV instead to make it easy (mostly because we have a week before we're heading to an Early Screening)
>>
>>10867000
Pics of your progress?
>>
Has anyone ever used that polyester tex 30 Amann Saba thread on Wawak? I’m considering buying it because it’s quite a lot cheaper than the Gutermann Mara at the same tex, please tell me if the Amann Saba is any good or not
>>
Where's the best source to get gobelin fabric? Are there there other terms I should use when searching for it, because I'm not getting much from gobelin alone.
>>
File: harm-video.gif (1.43 MB, 498x368)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB GIF
>Own a sewing machine
>Cannot, for the life of me, thread the bobbin
It's over
>>
>>10867917
sometimes you can find it by searching tapestry fabric, upholstery fabric, or woven fabric.
>>
>>10867959
Thank you, that really helped!
>>
>>10867953
I want to call you retarded but I can't put it into words how to do it, I just do it right each time.
>>
File: IMG_7855.jpg (3.81 MB, 4032x3024)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB JPG
>>10867346
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, anon! And thank you for asking in the first place. I'm very much still a beginner, but I'm happy to get the chance to share :) The whole thing desperately needs an iron, but it's coming together!
>>
File: IMG_7858.jpg (3.61 MB, 4032x3024)
3.61 MB
3.61 MB JPG
>>10868437
>>10867346
And the groovy pants.
>>
>>10867000
once my sewing machine gets back from the repair center I'll have to finish a less color-blocked version of this tracksuit in less than a week for my Machio Naruzo cosplay. Haven't made a jacket before but have made a few men's shirts so I'm hoping in vain that with the help of a pattern I will immediately be successful.
>>
>>10868952
Nice, anon! Good luck with your costume. I'm sure it'll turn out perfect.
>>
File: 20230718_111117.jpg (1.12 MB, 1313x2813)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Whats Favorite Japanese sewing/pattern book?
I have a few and am looking for recommendations.
Was gonna ask in /fa/ but I get the sense that they're not in to that
>>
>>10865253
Fabric question: what is the best breathable fabric that isn't a mesh of some kind? I'm planning on adding a panel of thin, breathable material to the back of a set of robes so that its less sweaty in there, and I'm on the fence as to the best material for the job. The goal is to get some airflow/give the heat someplace to vent without exposing that I'm probably just wearing a tshirt and shorts in there. But I also don't want to get something so thin it tears and the robe is unwearable.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>10868437
>>10868438
Looking good anon, thanks for sharing!
>>
>>10869073
Linen, there is a reason it was used for undergarments for so long before cotton became popular.
>>
What material should I be looking for to make an extra large baggy hoodie?
>>
>>10870895
For a more normal-clothes look, sweatshirt fleece or french terry are good for hoodies, but if it's a more cartoonish design, regular fleece could work too. Just depends on the look you are going for.
>>
File: 56mkrd76ke988.png (169 KB, 329x353)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
>>10870896
Something like this. I was thinking of getting an oversized sweater and then sewing the colors into it.
>>
>>10869050
Nani Iro's book. There's a zero-waste pattern book out now that's nice too.

>>10869073
Ditto linen.
>>
im afraid to sew i don't know where to start
>>
File: IMG_1644-e1528385432736.jpg (599 KB, 2448x2448)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
>>10871029
Just buy a kids/starter sewing set and some felt and make a plushie, you can practice lots of techniques this way and its quite cheap.
>>
>>10870897
It should be a very thick but soft fleece. I wouldn’t see the colors onto an existing hoodie cause that would look messy, I’d just separate the patterns into the color tiers and line it afterwards.
>>
>>10871125
Sew*
>>
>>10871029
Beginner projects use non-stretch cotton and minimal seams with straight lines. Things like a pillow case, pajama pants or shorts, and drawstring bags are typically the first projects people attempt.

I second buying a starter set. They usually have a book with steps / ideas. You can even rent books from the library. The best way to learn is do, fuck up, learn, and make better.
>>
File: swanndri.jpg (132 KB, 572x734)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
I don't know if this is the right thread for this but this seemed to be the most right thread.
To what extent is it possible to get colour out of wool clothing?
eg. If I wanted to make this white - is that feasible?
>>
>>10872610
No.
>>
>>10872610
Bleach dissolves wool into goop. It's not happening.
>>
I want to dye my white button up shirt, but I've never dyed anything before. I've been looking at rit dyes, but on their site it recommends using some kind of rit color stay liquid to prevent bleeding, so does rit fabric dye really tend to bleed if you don't use the additional liquid after dying it?
>>
>>10872767
>does rit fabric dye really tend to bleed if you don't use the additional liquid after dying it?
it'll bleed regardless if it's a cotton (or similar) fabric. that's just the nature of direct dyes, which is the dye class rit's all-purpose uses for cellulose fibers. most important question, what is your shirt made of? next questions, what color are you aiming for and what method will you be using?
>>
is there any way a complete sewing noob would be able to sew a lolita dress using patterns from otome no sewing or gothic lolita bible?
if not, would starting with projects like bloomers, rectangle headdress, bows, and simple skirts be manageable?
>>
>>10872806
i would practice on smaller projects because it can be discouraging as a newbie to work on a large project-- large projects take a while, it's harder to see your progress, and as a newbie you'll be slower. additionally with dresses and such it can be easy to not spot a mistake until you're almost done and it's too late to easily backtrack.

that said: a simple skirt isn't that hard to do overall if you'd like to try a main piece early on. GLB patterns can be kind of hard to follow, but thankfully this is 2023, so there are lots of patterns available online. not familiar with otome no sewing personally.
>>
>>10872806
It really depends on the pattern itself. I could see a basic classic skirt using a ton of straight lines but even then, you have to learn to use your machine if you plan on using one, and learning basic handstitching if you're not. The thing with being a beginner is that your rate of improvement is so fast that if you're consistent you're basically going to almost immediately look back at your old pieces and be dissatisfied. On top of that, for Japanese resources if you don't know Japanese or Japanese sewing terms, much less how to sew, you have a double layer of confusion and difficulty.
>>
>>10867953
I know this post is a month old but just find a youtube video teaching how to do it and try to draw what you're supposed to do. I finally learned it for good after taking a couple hours to practice.

The thread goes into the bobbin from the shaft towards the upper hole before you fill it with then, and when it's full you insert it into the thing with the thread in the direct that would be wrong for toilet paper (coming from below)
>>
>>10867953
Anon if you're still struggling this is the video I watch every time I get stuck: https://youtu.be/sT6oYdJf9Z4
>>
>>10865253
what's a nice beginner project to work on?
>>
>>10872832
nevermind >>10871031 >>10871133
>>
have any of you picked up sewing purely just out of an interest in making cosplays and not earlier in life as a general hobby? how long did it take to learn how to make simple, passable clothes/accessories starting from zero?
>>
>>10872790
My shirt is made out of a medium weight white quilting cotton, and I want to dye it and get a pastel pink or purple color as the result
>>
>>10872843
I was into alternative fashion in my mid teens, but wanted to learn how to sew in my late teens when I learned about lolita fashion. I don't think it's very helpful to give a timeline because that doesn't tell you how many projects you made.
My aunt loaned me her sewing machine, taught me how to do straight stitches and then I tried to do some stuff with some old cotton sheets without using books, tutorials or videos ( I do not recommend doing it like that, it's a waste of time.). I made an apron and a cotton petticoat like that. They looked horrible (unfinished edges, pleated "ruffles" instead of gathered) but were great motivation because I had something in my hands that I made. I never used them.
Then I got a lolita sewing book and the first thing I made was a blouse. I did a mockup first, which my mom helped me fit (someone has to make notes/pin the back), and that blouse came out so well that I still have it and have worn it a lot.Second project was bloomers from the same book. Also a success. Wore those until they died from old age. Third project was a jsk aka a sleeveless dress (same book), which I made some mistakes with but those were mainly visible on the inside as I had to redo some sections and the inside ended up looking really messy.

I think if you learn how to stitch neatly first, which should take you about a day. And then start with a project that is beginner friendly, and you're willing to take your time and look up information about fusible interfacing (which would be relevant for most blouses), or how to do an elastic waist band (bloomers and skirts), then I think your first project can be usable/wearable. And mock ups for blouses and dresses, that's so important since the wrong fit will ruin the look even if your construction and materials are beautiful.
>>
>>10872865
How hard is it to make a blouse? I've drafted/made gored skirts from scratch, and basic stuff like circle skirts and a fair few alterations so I'm happy adjusting sleeves and chest/waist measurements, but isn't it really hard to get the collar right? It seems really technical and has a tiny margin for error
>>
>>10872868
I used a pattern from a book, and saw that the neck hole (lol, I don't know the correct english word for it) the collar would be attached to was big enough so I didn't have to alter the collar. But it's an easy alteration if the neckhole needs to be just a little bit larger. afaik the stand (or collar if it is directly sewn to the neckhole) and neckhole need to be the same measurement at the seam they are joined, so if you enlarged the neckhole you need to enlarge the collar/stand the same amount. If you need it to be up to 1.5cm larger and adjust the shape of the neckhole in the mockup, I think you can just add 1.5cm to the center back of both the collar and the stand if it has a stand. If you need much more space added I would suggest adding that space to the collar and stand over multiple points (not just the center back). I'm not a professional though so I would just google "how to adjust collar pattern" or something like that. Always measure the seams in the pattern you adjusted, to avoid any issues when sewing.
>>
File: 1670533571399595.png (302 KB, 538x614)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
>>10872829
>>10872831
You're a lifesaver, thank you.
>>
>>10872845
Good news, it'll be easy to dye with regular dye. Follow the directions on the box, do test swatches if you can (with a timer). If you don't have any allowance for testing, then start at a lower amount of dye than you think you need and slowly increase the amount of dye and check regularly to see if it has reached the color you want.

Yes you'll still want to use a dye fixer once you are satisfied with the color, especially if you plan on wearing the garment more than once. The color will transfer without the fixer onto anything else touching the fabric, especially if it's rubbing against a waistband or belts or something else directly.
>>
>>10872845
>pastel
awesome, you'll have an easy time of it then. do get the fixative if you use rit. it won't guarantee colorfastness but it bumps it up to a maybe (or even a mostly, if the item only gets laundered in cold water). mainly it'll keep it from immediately fading a whole bunch the first few times you wash it which is what typically happens.

two other options to consider are dylon hand dye and tulip one-shot tie-dye. fiber reactive dyes are what works best for cotton. the colors are nicer, they don't bleed, and no extra fixative is needed. it's just rinse until the water runs clear and you're good.

rit needs a lot of heat, the fiber reactive dyes need a lot of rinsing, and both need a lot of agitation. pay special attention to pleats, gathers, tucks, darts, pockets, etc. any protected/shielded nooks and crannies can and will emerge from a dyebath totally untouched if you let them. bear in mind too the stitches will remain white if the thread is polyester.
>>
>>10872807
well I'm ok with it taking a long time since I'm not making it for any reason other than to have something new to wear - but yeah maybe a skirt would be better to start with to see how many mistakes I make. from what I read on the archives here, otome no sewing has patterns that are easier for beginners than glb
>>10872808
I do have a machine that I have yet to try and my japanese is super basic but enough to be able to read and understand simple things, I found a few resources for understanding japanese sewing terminology so maybe that is giving me false confidence
>>
>>10872950
Thanks!
>>
>>10872843
I have. Sewing was purely entry into cosplay for me and anything else was just icing on the cake. I started at 22. I have only had time during the summers and a few weekends throughout the year to sew since I was in college and building my career. Since I started, I've made three costumes. In general, I'm a much slower sewist than most because I had little prior experience and no place to leave my sewing machine to sew. I had to set up and take it down every session which made it harder to continuously practice and finish projects.

1st proj: strapless bodice and circle skirt. It took me about 2 years to complete (because of aforementioned slowness and limited time) but also because I was learning to sew and all of the steps it took to make something fitted and strapless. It was a really bad project to choose to be my first but after much, much learning and fixing mistakes, it actually came out as a wearable garment. The quality of my work was shit of course, but I'm so proud of that little dress.

2nd proj: Maid outfit. High neck bodice with puff sleeves, mandarin collar, faux button placket, invisible zipper, and pleated skirt. This one took a year. I mixed patterns and learned how to install bias binding, a collar, and an invisible zipper. The mockup went through several iterations which took the longest because I was learning how to do proper fitting. This one was my best work so far.

3rd proj: Sleeveless vest with vinyl decals, piping, and buttonholes and fitted flare pants with a V-waistband and faux front lace panel. This one came along the quickest. It took me 3 months from start to finish. This work was a bit sloppy since it was for a movie premiere and not a convention but I've started to feel my skill shine through and it's been really motivating.

The other anon has some great advice. To add on, I've also heard that you should tackle a project that's totally within your wheelhouse but focus on just one new skill and perfect it.
>>
>>10872954
https://fabrics-store.com/all-fabrics?article=4C22

Make some tea towels. Each yard makes 4 towels. Focus on cutting proper rectangles by pulling threads as a guide and hemming them neatly. Probably a hard tulle petti next to learn to baste and gather.
>>
>>10872997
thank you for your response! its pretty awesome you took on a maid outfit project right away, they look really difficult to sew
>>
>>10872865
thank you for the reply! thats really helpful
>>
>>10873040
Thank you for reading it! For the most part, the maid outfit was decently easy since the apron and skirt are made up of rectangles and squares which are beginner friendly. The bodice and headpiece are the harder parts since they have most curves and seams. I hope you're able to find a project that's right for you and make something you're happy with! :)
>>
>>10873053
youre so helpful and nice anon i love you
>>
>>10866921
>>10866998
This is missing other brands like Jerome and Baby lock
>>
>>10873119
I think your autocorrect got to you. It should be Janome instead of Jerome.
>>
do any famous designers have in depth books covering their pattern design process, creative process etc? id love to dice deep into it
>>
>>10865253
please anonettes and anonons, rec' me a sewing book that covers/includes, things like sleeves, waists, collars, pockets, etc.
My mom loves sweing and making dresses for herself, but she is fucktarded when it comes to those things I mentioned.
>>
How do those sailor school girl uniform shirts work in terms of closure? From looking at pictures online, those shirts don't seem to have any buttons or zippers. Also, what is that material that they use on pleated skirts and sailor collars that look like thin decorative line strips?
>>
>>10873188
You pull those over your head afaik. The little triangle bit in the middle can be removed or opened on one side in a few patterns I've seen, that would make the neck opening big enough for a head. The ones that I've seen also don't have any waist shaping, which makes sense if you're going to pull them over your head.
>>
>>10873144
No I just misremembered the name like a retard.
Does anyone have an opinion on the dual sewing/embroidery machine Janome 9850 though? Costco has it and it's pretty cool.
>>
File: happy cat with hearts.jpg (92 KB, 783x1023)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>10873056
heheh ty anon, ily2
>>
>>10873188
>Also, what is that material that they use on pleated skirts and sailor collars that look like thin decorative line strips?
Ribbon or a narrow bias tape
>>
File: sGO9ZdtIRARD.jpg (97 KB, 1000x800)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>10873188
oh boy this is my specialty

>closure
Typically this uniforms will have snaps on the edge of the placket and a hook-and-eye closure where the collar points meet at the breast. If the top is close-fitting with no visible opening for buttons, there will be an invisible zipper, usually under the left armpit. PIC RELATED

>strips
Usually bias tape, but you can get away with ribbon if it's a straight line (i.e. the skirt hem is isn't a curve).
>>
>>10873293
Oh wow, that's very interesting, thank you!
>>
How does pattern drafting and sewing those detachable long sleeves on some lolita blouses work? I tried searching on youtube but I couldn't really find anything like that
>>
>>10873293
damn, those crafty japs, s'good
>>
Ive only ever made gathered rectangle skirts with elastic waistbands. I have an invisible zipper and hook and eyes closures. I plan on making a skirt with a zipper on the back, but I'm concerned that using hook and eye closures is a bad idea. My waist is 29" and my hips are 38", so I'm worried that I won't be able to put on the skirt over my hips because the waistband will be too small, should I just only use the zipper all the way up to the waistband? Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm very new to this
>>
>>10875010
Are you worried that if you unhook the hook and unzip the zip you still won't be able to get it over your hips?
If that's what asking: your zipper needs to be long enough.

If you want to figure out how long your zipper needs to be, make a "mock up" of the upper part of the skirt (waist band to just below your hip, or longer) out of pattern paper. Use tape to tape the seams together, leaving an opening where the zipper will be. Try to put it on by stepping into it gently.
If you can't put it on without it tearing somewhere, your zipper needs to be longer.
>>
File: labeled.png (351 KB, 1024x1024)
351 KB
351 KB PNG
yanking >>10874819 outta the classic thread, with labels for terminology to search for patterns/techniques. Someone else correct if I fucked up, figure it should be a decent place to start from though.
>>
>>10875037
Yeah that's what I'm worried about, I dont really get how a 29" waistband and a bit of ease and a 1 inch over lap allowance is gonna go up past my hips
>>
>>10875098
try out the paper mock up, see what happens. Make the zipper length a bit longer than the vertical measurement between waist and the largest part of your hip.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (5 KB, 187x269)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>10875051
I don't know why they directed you to the sewing general. This is more of a cosplay help question, but fear not, we can take care of you here too. The coshelp thread is just more frequented.

You're pretty close with the terms. The collar is correct. It's also called a standing collar if you need another search term. The sleeves aren't technically incorrect, but you probably won't yield the results you're looking for unless you call them balloon sleeves specifically -- it's a type of puff sleeve. The difference between a regular puff sleeve and a balloon is the amount of gathering down (puffs are tightly gathered, balloons are a little looser) and the drape. You'll notice how the sleeves kind of billow out at the bottom, that's because they have more fabric to hang that way. Some balloon sleeves are gathered at the top too. Yours doesn't appear to be. Here's a tutorial: https://youtu.be/5mDgspp6bik. The creator also sells a multi-sleeve pack pattern with this one in it. Just use english subtitles. Her patterns are great.

The waist is also not a dropped waist. There actually is no waistline on this garment, its just a dress. Picrel is an example of a dropped waistline. The name comes from the fact that it's "dropped" lower than your usual waistline hits.

The layered underskirt / petticoat / tutu is accurate. Each tier is ruffled too which is going to be a pain in the ass for you, I'm sure. Tbh I'd just bite the bullet on that one and buy one, but that's me.

Idk if you need more terms but you could add "pinstripes" to the tights.

I hope that helps!
>>
>>10875100
My waist to hip vertical measurement is about 4 inches, and my zipper is 12-14 inches long, does this zipper length guarantee it'll work?
>>
>>10875115
14 inches does sound long enough but there's nothing like hands-on experience and no guarantee. If you don't want to do a paper mock up, then do one out of old woven sheets or some cheap muslin.
>>
apologies for the stupid question but almost nothing i own fits me because i'm comically short and have a small frame. is there a way to adjust clothing without permanently altering it i.e. if i want to sell the piece, i could bring it back to its original dimensions? or am i just doomed to pink stuff the best i can forever?
>>
How did you guys learn how to draft patterns? I have sewing abilities but the pattern is the thing that's been fucking me up for ages. Really want to do a stocking cosplay, is it better to buy a pattern rather than drafting my own?
>>
File: stockings many outfits.jpg (110 KB, 500x745)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>10875162
I used this video to learn how to draft a bodice block https://youtu.be/mA81wZnoa84

you turn that block into a button up blouse pattern or cut it at the waist and attach a gathered rectangle skirt to it to make a dress out of it. Cosplaying stocking is a bit nebulous since she wears a lot of different clothes throughout the show, but she does often wear gothic lolita fashion, those old school style skirts/dresses use gathered rectangle skirts with one's waist circumference multiplied by 3. Pattern drafting a rectangle skirt is super easy since its just a big rectangle with the wide side being your waist times 3 and the long side being the desired length of the skirt, plus hem and seam allowance. its gathered at the top with a basting stitch to be sewn onto a waistband (which is just another simple rectangle lol) or a bodice at the waist.
>>
>>10875172
heres a crude illustration depicting what I meant about drafting a rectangle skirt btw
>>
>>10875172
>>10875173
Just started drawing and it seems true that everything is simple shapes forever lol
Thank you so much though anon!!! This is super useful. Personally I'm either going for no.4 on the image or the transformation outfit. Though the latter will probably be way more annoying to make I think it could be cool. This is also not helping the temptation to dye my hair.
>>
>>10875123
It's not a stupid question. Back in ye olden days, clothing was produced at a much slower rate and was often made for the purchaser's dimensions, loose enough to fit most people within a certain range, or had a pattern that allowed for weight fluctuation (either by leaving the ease in to be unpicked or by the pattern). There's a great example of this in this video: https://youtu.be/Cz8o0qJUWC8. Since you didn't mention an interest in sewing your own clothes though, your only other option is to learn tailoring.

You can gain or take away a few inches in some areas of a garment without it being permanent so long as you can hide the additional fabric. For example, instead of cutting off and remaking the hem of pants, you could use a folded hem and blind stitch to hide the extra length until its time to be unpicked and let out again. If its over a certain amount of inches, a permanent alteration would be necessary. And of course the fabric has to go somewhere so be prepared to have a little extra bulk.

tl;dr Sew your own clothes or learn tailoring but there's a limit.
>>
>>10875162
In my opinion, it's best to start off your first few projects with premade patterns (either one exactly suited to your costume or by mixing/altering patterns) then after you're familiar with using patterns, slowly learn how to draft your own.

And anon gave you a great example of how to break down an outfit into patterns.
>>
>>10875123
>i'm comically short and have a small frame
are you single, if so, ASL?
>>
>>10875244
thank you so much for such a thorough response! i actually am interested in making my own clothes as well, but since i'm very much a beginner, i assume tailoring might be a little easier for the time being, at least until i'm confident enough to start sewing my own pieces. i definitely am excited to be able to make clothing to my dimensions though! i'll look into semi/non-permanent tailoring.
>>
>>10875458
Happy to help :)
Oh that's wonderful! I wouldn't put all of your eggs into either basket desu. I'd just start taking on small alterations project in your current closet as you start making simple projects (pajama pants, skirts, and some styles of shirts are pretty beginner friendly if you use cotton). You'll eventually get to a place where you can have a self-made wardrobe. I'm still on that journey myself. Not quite there yet but here's hope to the both of us.

Good luck anon! There's a couple of good books on the market out there if you just look at the reviews. Or good ole libgen
>>
File: uc2.png (1.15 MB, 611x906)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
ive been looking online for an ulster coat pattern but cant find anything, might anyone here know of a link to direct me to? many thanks for any replies
>>
File: uc1.png (810 KB, 572x895)
810 KB
810 KB PNG
>>10875635
>>
Do gussets go in the pants block, or do you derive them each time you make a new pattern?
>>
>>10875458
I was sewing my own clothes before I got into lolita. (All torso, no legs, so I'm tall fit on top and more petite for the bottom.) Get some books with patterns, like things by Tillie and Buttons, and start there. It will teach you to sew and since you can add an inch here, do a full bust adjustment, etc, it fits.
>>
I'm working on a gathered rectangle skirt with a fitted waistband for the first time right now, do I put in the invisible zipper before gathering and sewing on the waistband or after? Im making the kind of waistband that has a 1 inch overlap for a hook and eye closure
>>
>>10876478
I would attach the zipper first, then gather, then attach the waistband.
If you plan on attaching the waistband to the skirt body first, then you'd gather, attach the waistband, then attach the zipper.
>>
Does anybody know how to draft a V neck vest/waistcoat pattern from a basic bodice block?
>>
I've been using tissue paper to sew thin stretch fabric since I was getting missed stitches. It does the job well but I have to go back and pick little tissue bits out after tearing it off which adds too much time to the workflow. Tissue is almost free also which is great.
What other options are there for stabilizers that require less work and are also somewhat cheap? I'm ok if the garment needs to be washed afterwards to dissolve the material. Or if there is just another type of paper that is commonly used that has less issues with tearing, maybe cheap single ply toilet paper or something?
>>
>>10879052
have you tried a piece of tape over the throatplate? sometimes that and a ballpoint needle are enough to do the trick. straight stitch foot can be a help as well.
>maybe cheap single ply toilet paper or something?
worth trying. i doubt it'll tear away any more cleanly but the leftover bits should be gone after a wash. scratchiest most industrial single ply you can find if the cheap single ply for household use is still too 'comfort soft' to stabilize it enough
>>
>>10879052
Just straight buy and use stabilizer? Pellon makes a bunch of different ones, from tearaway to water-dissolvable stuff. Don't waste your time using tissue paper and other things not meant for sewing unless you are crunched on time and cash and you just need a tiny bit to get your through a project (or if you don't care at all). I did all that as a poor college student and realized it's worth it to get the real stuff for that clean finish.

Also look into temporary fabric stiffening sprays. It works just as the name suggests and washes out easily as well.
>>
File: M8442_Front__03110.jpg (316 KB, 1309x1800)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>10878123
I'd suggest just get a commercial pattern as the base to work off of and modify it to your needs.
>>
I bought some boiled wool to make cloth bracers/armguards for cosplay. I've only worked with cotton and linen so far, anything I need to keep in mind when working with wool? So far I read that I will need to preshrink it, and not to iron it directly/use a pressing cloth.
>>
Helpful bump. Hopefully others know. We used to have a lot more sewists on the board before. Never worked with wool, hope someone can help.
>>
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but - is there any way to fix a dress' zipper without having to do the whole needle-and-thread thing or removing the zipperline? I just need a new pulley on it so it closes, bought a little kit for it, but it seems most tutorials have you open stuff up, remove it, sew stuff etc.
>>
>>10885877
well to slide a zipper pulley down a zipper it needs the teeth to be together, so try sticking the tracks together by hand and sliding it on from the top.
you might be able to cut the tracks apart from the nub at the bottom and slide the pulley on that way, then sew a couple loops around the bottom to make a new stop. either way if it has caps at either end youll have to take some off. that's the best i can think of without replacing the whole zipper anyways.
>>
>>10885900
Problem is, both ends are blocked off - both the top and bottom. I'm afraid of loosening the part I need to start zipping since I've never sewn before and wouldn't know how to put it back in.
>>
I’m currently working on my first project to sell on Etsy. This probably sounds cringe, but I’m making a ruffled skirt in the asexual flag colors to help myself feel more confident while helping someone else feel the same. It’s been fun so far
>>
>>10866921
Juki or Brother. Their corresponding clones are just as good nowadays
>>
>>10886061
eww
>>
File: 1683268178640.jpg (36 KB, 680x641)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
My sewing machine keeps jamming every 4-6 inches and completely ruining whatever project I'm trying to work on. I've tried everything and I think I've come to the conclusion that my machine is just fucked :/. Should I buy a brand new one, or get a used one? I'd like to keep my budget below $150 if possible.
>>
>>10886838
If there's somewhere near you where you can get it repaired, I would try that first. And for new vs. used, my used machine served me well.
>>
>>10886838
try getting it serviced first. it would cost 50-100$ to repair but an actually decent sewing machine would be 200$+
sometimes a repair is as simple as tightening a screw or replacing a damaged piece, just having it cleaned and oiled fixes it and that comes with being serviced
>>
File: machineandnerve.webm (2.4 MB, 720x1280)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB WEBM
>>10886838
Obviously a new one. Save your money
>>
>>10886921
>>10886874
thank you guys! I'll do that for sure and report back.
>>
>>10886838
Buy a new one, we take our more expensive one to get it serviced (it's about $150 each time to get it properly services and that usually lasts about 3 to 5 years before it need service) the cheaper machine we own for certain use we just buy new ones to replace it when it goes bad.
>>
>>10886838
>keeps jamming every 4-6 inches
Try general cleaning, oil and tighten parts down to see if there is improvement there are a lot of YouTube video on how to do basic maintenance on your sewing machine.
>>
Ded chat
>>
>>10866998
Thank you for the link anon
>>
On a full-body zentai suit - is the finish quality of the hands and feet good enough that they could be cut off and used as opera gloves and thigh high stockings? My goal is perfectly matching gloves and stockings, this seems like the easiest way to guarantee it. I image I'll just do a rolled hem with a zig zag stitch and attach some silicone grip tape to the inside of the ends. I'm a medium, should I get a small to ensure there's no loose sections?
>>
>>10887341
imagine thinking you need to dedicate an entire skirt to the fact you're a turbovirgin
>>
>>10868437
>>10868438
I'm new to sewing and I've been making basic shirts and pants with cotton fabric. The fabric in these two posts are also cotton right? I don't like how wrinkly it gets and it's also stiff. What's a good alternative to cotton that doesn't wrinkle like mad and is softer?
>>
Anyone here used what the chinks call "diamond hemp" fabric? More like what google translates as "diamond hemp" 钻石麻

Has a texture, you can see through the weave up close, print definition isn't super crisp as a result, slightly glittery, overall looks nice, but haven't worked with something similar yet. I do however already have a print on glitter tulle, FpF Porcelain Garden, with a mesh-y, diffuse appearance which desu works great. If this works to be something similar I'd be pleased enough.

>inb4 poly shit
I have 0 issues with polys, used them quite a lot.
>>
>>10890235
Oh hey that's me! Yes, they're both 100% cotton. It is pretty stiff and wrinkly, but partially because I didn't iron it at the time I took the picture. You can treat fabric with wrinkle-ease and such to make it less prone to wrinkling so badly. Unfortunately, cottons do make the best fabrics for beginner projects because they're non-stretch which makes them easier to sew. As for stiffness though, you're right. I'd suggest something like a cotton-blend for more of a softness. Honestly I'd just go straight to a fabric store and start touching fabrics until one of them feels right.
>>
>>10886838
you think a new sewing machine is going to fix the fact that you are stupid?
>>
>>10890235
>>10891217
Cotton is a fiber, not a type of fabric. You can have cotton denim, lawn, broadcloth, sateen, batiste, etc etc. All of these have different weights and textures. I highly recommend picking up a sewing reference book (I have an old Reader's Digest sewing guide from the 1970s I love) that has a section on fabrics before going any further.
>>
>>10886838
I agree with anyone who recommended getting it serviced/repaired, but this can also be a technique problem. Are you sure you're threading it properly? Are you pulling the fabric(don't do this)? Is the thread/needle appropriate for the fabric? Also, my machine sometimes sucks the threads in if I don't hold them when I take my first couple of stitches.
>>
What's the difference between a cupcake skirt and an a-line skirt? I think cupcake skirts are a gathered rectangle and a-lines are 1/4 circle skirts, but I'm stupid and unsure.

How do you calculate how big to make a skirt for it to fit over a petti?
>>
>>10893059
an old fabric guide isn't going to help anon for shit when 90% of those fabrics will be cottons or blends now.
>>
>>10893409
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Walking into a fabric store and saying "I want cotton fabric" is still going to leave them with a wide selection, and without knowing what type of fabric they're looking for, they're going to be lost. Knowing there's a difference between fiber and fabric type is important if you want to be good at sewing. Describing a fabric only as "cotton" or "blend" is a dead giveaway of someone who is inexperienced.
>>
>>10893273
You got it! Another way of looking at it is that a cupcake skirt has more volume gathered near the waist whereas an A-line skirt's volume is concentrated more toward hem. And the easiest way to measure how wide the skirt fabric should be is to use the measurement of an existing skirt, but you could also measure the circumference of the petti itself and add a couple inches for ease.
>>
>>10893433
i'm aware of that but it doesn't help her to know what was available 50 years ago. some pure cotton versions of the fabrics you mentioned are barely available without searching. most people working at chain fabric stores don't know shit anyway so if anon went into joanns and asked for say silk chiffon she'd get shown poly. outdated references won't help. and honestly it's not as inexperienced as you think, some people will just look at all fabrics made of the same material and feel the weight and weave themselves. anon should just research fabrics online to get a better idea of what's really available.
>>
>>10893438
>>10893273
Not at all! There are no circle skirts in lolita. Link below is a guide on a basic one using the otome no sewing pattern for an a-line skirt. Please don't use any kind of circle skirt for lolita it will not look right and won't hang well or look good under a petti.
>https://misscarolbelle.wordpress.com/2018/01/12/lets-lolita-sewing-1-a-line-skirt-pattern-drafting/
>>
>>10893448
thank you dear anon, you're a life saver

>>10893438
Thank you for chiming in regardless, appreciate you both !!
>>
>>10893447
Oh, so you are very stupid. At least I tried.
>>
>>10893501
NTA but what? Sounds totally reasonable to me. You should use the most up to date information possible. Not to mention that Reader's Digest isn't a good source to begin with. And many people do in fact refer to fabrics as just a fiber because it gets the point across.
>>
>>10893527
I called Anon stupid because
1. They keep focusing in on an offhanded example of a book. I said a sewing reference book. I didn't say they had to get the specific one I like.
2. Fabric technology hasn't advanced to the point that fabrics are woven in a completely different way than they were 10, 20, 50 years ago. They are reacting as if the fabric types I listed are non-existent.
3. Increasing your knowledge of a subject you're interested in is never a bad thing. You need to know textiles if you want to be good at sewing.
4. I was having a bad day and didn't feel like explaining myself and probably should have just come back to the thread later.

Additionally, Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing is a respected resource for home sewers and has been republished many times, so if you're both hung up on the age of my copy, there's newer ones available. Again, I was just giving an example and didn't say anon absolutely had to have the same book as me. I'm not sure why that wasn't clear beyond basic reading comprehension issues.
>>
File: tiny_laundry.jpg (958 KB, 1000x841)
958 KB
958 KB JPG
I am a guy with no sewing experience, except for a terrible apron I made in middle school home economics, and I don't remember anything I learned. I am building a dollhouse and I need to make tiny carpets, rugs, blankets, pillows, curtains etc. And I also have to make tiny clothes for tiny mice, I also have to sew the fur. Can I use a sewing machine for these tiny things or should I sew them by hand? I was planning on going to goodwill or something and getting cheap clothing to cut up and use as material. Am I in over my head, or is it easy to sew? What type of stitching(if that is the right term) is best for tiny things? I want everything to look as realistic as possible.
>>
>>10894314
>I am a guy
How does that correlate to the rest of your query?
>>
>>10894314
stuff like your picrel are too small for a sewing machine. a backstitch is quick and sturdy in my experience. blanket stitch is good for details too. just focus on getting the stitches at an even length and itll go faster with practice
>>
>>10894340
Thank you.
>>10894332
It just does.
>>
File: 35hye53h.jpg (1.11 MB, 2173x1441)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
Is this needle too close?
>>
>>10894820
such a tiny foot
>>
Hey /sew/ I'm looking to make a formal dress shirt with a stiff front bib but I don't know what sort of interfacing to go with to make it stiff enough.
The hardest interfacing I currently have tends to fold like cardboard which is no good.
>>
File: imagetrg.png (593 KB, 493x516)
593 KB
593 KB PNG
>>10894829
I suspect I need to do some combination of doubling up the fabric and the interfacing in a clever way but I don't know what to do. I don't want to use starch since it's a pain in the ass.
I want it to be as stiff as a typical shirt collar
>>
>>10894830
You need collar stays and/or sew-in interfacing

>>10894820
That definitely looks like it's going to glance off the foot and cause some issues and potentially injuries. Try slowly turning the wheel manually and see what happens.
>>
Complete newbie here, looking to make my first garment after practicing for a bit first, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. How do I add this faux scalloping/bustle detail to a skirt hem? Is it just two channels with ribbons passed through them and tied at the top? How are the channels created in a way that they stop a 1/4 of the way up the skirt's length?
>>
>>10894820
Too close, you don't want the needle to touch the foot at all and remember that the needle will wobble very slightly with each stitch, especially through thicker fabric.
>>
>>10894995
The technique is called ruching. That should help you find some more information and tutorials. Yes, one way to do it is just create two channels with a string passing between them to tie them up.

>How are the channels created in a way that they stop a 1/4 of the way up the skirt's length?
By sewing up the top instead of having tubes. In other words, sew three sides and leave the fourth free for the ribbon. You should trap the ribbon or rope ends between the top seam of the channel so that they don't come loose.

Once you actually try using the technique on practice fabric, it'll make a lot of sense. It's the same concept with elastic in a channel except one end is closed.
>>
File: 1701530923367450.jpg (190 KB, 854x868)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>10865253
is this thre thread to ask where to get fabrics from? The pattern I need is custom and I would like it to be printed for a kimono/yukata style fabric.
>>
>>10896110
yukata and kimono have totally different kinds of fabric you fucking retard.
>>
>>10896137
not always, actually. while yukata are typically made with cotton or linen (or these days, polyester), kimono can also be made from cotton, linen, hemp, wool, or any material, not just silk. the main difference between a yukata and a summer kimono is that a yukata is unlined and typically made of stiffer fabric to maintain a neat collar shape without an eri shin or juban.

for patterns in particular, which anon is asking, yukata were traditionally indigo dyed, which is also true of regular kimono.

to answer anons question: anon is probably better off looking for fabric by dye technique. bingata and shibori are both common for kimono and yukata, and fabric intended for use for yukata and kimono is often sold in japanese kimono specialty shops online. you can also get old, lightly damaged secondhand kimono for cheap and use them for fabric
>>
>>10896162
I want to have my print not a generic one. There are lots of custom fabric shops but I don't want to buy generic t shirt fabric or the usual silk quality. The former and latter would both obviously present problems.
>>
>>10896162
NTA anon said different kinds of fabrics, not different fibres. Learn the difference.
>>
>>10896110
Spoonflower is the place to go for specialty printed fabrics. Joanns also does custom fabrics but its more expensive
>>
>>10896162
like another anon said, you're just listing fibers, not fabrics. yukata are not made from polyester either. i've literally never ever seen that.
>>
>>10896259
cheaper modern yukata can be and regularly are made of polyester. literally any kimono shop selling new ones will carry a few, because they're significantly cheaper than cotton.
>>
>>10896253
Spoonflower.com/en/fabric-shop
None of these fabrics seem like kimono silk
>>10896259
Some stuff I've seen on Yahoo auctions are polyester tanmono with traditional designs. There are definitely at least fairly common hakama in polyester, to the point that searching for non polyester hakama in bright colors is an extreme chore unless you are loaded or 9.

Either way the important thing to me is finding a custom tanmono fabric shop so I can get Japanese style fabric with my own personally designed prints.
>>
I just got my first sewing machine yesterday. Its a vintage hand-me-down Kenmore but its perfect for me since Im square one. Ive been wanting to learn to sew clothes for as long as I can remember (and make props too but that will come later).
I have a seam ripper, some pins, a tape measure, and some fabric scissors. Are there any other tools I will need I might not foresee?
What is a good first project if my ultimate dream is to make a quilted jerkin?
>>
>>10896273
>None of these fabrics seem like kimono silk
And what would you like me to do about that
>>
>>10896314
>Hey I need some steak can anyone tell me where to buy some?
>Well there's a McDonald's near by
>McDonald's doesn't sell steak
>And what would you like me to do about it?
>>
>>10896308
>good thread (Coats and Clark or Gutterman are the most recommended)
>hand-sewing needles (most garment sewing and sewing in general requires it)
>a pin cushion
>marking tools (there's tons to choose from -- heat or water erase pencil, wax block/roller, or my personal fave: Frixion heat erase pens)
> an iron
> an ironing board or mat
>non-stretch fabric: it's important to start with projects that don't require stretch fabric because it'll help you learn the fundamentals without wanting to tear your hair out. Most use bedsheets since they're cheap and lots of fabric to work with. Other options include: cotton and muslin.
>Elastic (most beginner projects use this. Your project will tell you what length and width)
>a pattern (there's a bajillion free ones on the internet. I like the MoodSewciety but I've found that their patterns are a bit confusing and hard to work with until you've had some experience. They usually need a lot of tailoring. Don't pay more than $2-3 for patterns at stores like Joanns. They constantly go on sale).
>a beginner friendly project: They usually have few seams (ex. pillow case, circle skirt -- though it's a little difficult to hem -- tank tops, pj pants or shorts, etc.)

The rest you can upgrade as you go or fulfill if you find a need. I'd suggest making one big order on Wawak or during a Joanns sale if you can! There's also plenty of this stuff available secondhand through thrifting, estate sales, decluttering groups on FB, etc. Don't feel like you have to shell out a bunch of cash. Save that money for some good fabrics.
>>
>>10896315
The equivalent to this situation would be asking for beef and then expecting steak. I gave two accessible options for custom fabric printing (that do include all of the fabrics mentioned by other anons, just not the ultra specific kind anon is apparently looking for). If they're not what they're looking for, then that's fine, just do your own research. Mind you, no one else was even giving suggestions.
>>
>>10896273
son you needed to have asked for super special kimono silk made out of silk to start with

and the answer is go to Japan or buy from Japanese kimono resellers, or go find one of those more expensive custom fabric printers that charge $60/yard for printed silk

I'm thinking if you're here asking for this sort of advice, using actual silk fabric would be a waste
>>
>>10896321
at this point anon would be better off buying some cheap kimono silk and screen printing it themselves. it's not that hard to learn.
>>
>>10896319
I didn't ask for beef. I very clearly asked for steak. I asked for a yukata and kimono style fabric. Not Western t shirt and neglige slop.
>>10896321
Just because something is made out of silk doesn't mean it's the same kind of fabric weave for kimono and the like. The difference is as wide as a tsumugi to actual ribbon obis.
>>10896322
That may be on the table if it's doable without dedicating a room to it and it's fairly low cost. However beyond any of that there's zero way I can get the detail I want without some kind of in depth tutorial on how to get the right paints or have the pattern printed for screening for me.
>>
>>10896345
AYRT practice makes perfect! i think there are home screen printing kits that are easy to store between uses, and if this project is something you enjoy, you may end up using it a lot. alternatively check local libraries and craft guilds, they sometimes have materials like 3d printers and screenprinting sets you can pay to use.
>>
>>10896345
If you want to be the smartest guy in the room about kimonos and yukatas then what was the point in asking for help. This isn't a traditional japanese wear board, it's cosplay and lolita. You've received several options at this point. There is no more help to give. If you have specific criteria, then you need to look for a print shop yourself or find the right people to ask.
>>
File: 1630277833677.png (111 KB, 443x443)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>10896363
>Hey can someone recommend a place to buy steak?
>Well McDonald's is right nearby
>McDonald's isn't steak
> Well if you want to be the smartest guy in the room about beef why don't you just raise your own wagyu cows huh!?
Is this the power of ovaries?
>>10896357
Finding some kind of art guild type place that can print on fabric may be the play. The patterns are too detailed and time consuming for me to paint on my own. My only concern is finding the name of one and if any are even still around after the meme virus. Hope springs eternal.
>>
>>10896273
you will probably need to go through a jp shopping service that does search requests.
>>
>>10896414
actually you should kill yourself. the terms kimono and yukata are very broad and not indicative of quality at all. traditional or otherwise.
>>
>>10896419
Quality? No. Uniform in fabrics firmness and grit for the most part? Yes. I know because I've been to a kimono shop before. Yukata and kimono silk feels different than the ordinary silk you can buy in the west for the usual purpose, therefore there is zero reason to every think a western "silk" is an acceptable medium. Likewise cotton in the coarseness of the west is often used for t shirts and often lacks appropriate stiffness and is generally softer and less robust.
>>10896418
If you know any, let me know. The ones I know of don't do so.
>>
>>10896459
you don't have any idea what you're talking about. this is peak weeb autism.
>>
>>10896504
all you are doing is proving you dont own silk products from japan.
>>
>>10896459
jap cotton double gauze drapes in a way i didn't think possible for cotton. meanwhile 'western' (read: chink-made fabric milled to western specs) cotton double gauze had me confused for a good long while. kept seeing it mentioned as a favorite for sun dresses and couldn't figure out whether i was nuts or they were until i chanced upon some from japan. the difference is night and day, and the jap stuff would indeed be fantastic for a sun dress. barely relevant anecdotes aside, in your shoes i'd try asking here:
https://shop.missmatatabi.com/pages/contact-us
they might be able to point you in the right direction, whether that's a jap spoonflower equivalent or a source where you can order a few meters of pfd kimono silk or a shopping service etc
>>
>>10896504
kimono and yukata are too broad of terms to mean anything. you're thinking of strictly traditionally made items. 99% of modern kimono are made of poly you just need to look on any kimono shop. but thanks for letting everyone know you haven't been to japan in over a decade.
>>
>>10896649
mean for
>>10896541
>>
>>10896363
> This isn't a traditional japanese wear board, it's cosplay and lolita.
This comment is so stupid. cgl is meant for cosplay and Japanese Fashion, Fashion as the umbrella term that can mean basically anything under the Sun as long as the fashion is of Japanese origin. If you want help through 4chan then this thread is the best option, and Japanese traditional wear is way to obscure in the west for it to have its own board.
>>
>>10896649
>in over a decade
yes unashamedly so. dodged tokyo too.
>>10896588
thanks
>>
>>10896676
You're missing the context of the thread. I wasn't implying that traditional japanese wear has no place on this board, I was saying that the answers OP is going to receive for his question are through a cosplay and lolita lens. Traditional japanese wear isn't the focus of this board so naturally people who have that knowledge in it aren't just going to be on standby to answer OP's quesiton -- cosplayers and lolitas will. They received the cosplayer's answer. Where would cosplayers go for custom screenprinted fabric? Spoonflower or Joanns. The answer would be different to someone who does care about traditional wear.
>>
File: Clippy.jpg (4 KB, 100x100)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>10896676
Welcome to 4chan, Anon.

It sounds like you are looking for two things which some people on this board might be able to help you with:

#1 you are looking for an importer of high-end undyed Japanese silk and/or cotton to use for a Kimono or Yukata.

#2 You are looking for a high quality fabric printing service that you would be able to entrust with printing your own designs on to said Japanese fabric.

Can anyone help Anon out?
>>
>>10896786
I am not the anon who wanted the extremely specific Japanese fabric. But ask stupid people get stupid answers I guess
>>
File: il_1140xN.5573817057_4k1j.jpg (140 KB, 1140x1140)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Looking to make a Barbara dress from genshin impact but having trouble finding a pattern.
Any suggestions?
The closest I can find are "off shoulder midi dress"
>>
>>10896975
It's fantasy clothing, there's no real magic bullet search term that will find what you need. Your better bets are to find similar bodice/sleeve/skirt patterns and piece them together.

Honestly with the complexity (over-the-top details) of game costumes, you're likely better off time AND skill AND money-wise to simply buy a premade Genshin cosplay, and modify/swap out pieces to level it up.
>>
>>10897070
Cons would be a better place if there were no genshin cosplayers but for the love of fuck please don’t discourage the seemingly one person in that godforsaken fandom willing to touch a sewing machine
>>
>>10896975
>>10897086
Oh, and to ENCOURAGE you, you little unicorn: midi off the shoulder could work, but I would do strapless midi + make detached sleeves. After that, just make a collar and layer a skirt underneath (super easy to make if you do a circle skirt)

Don’t like zoomers convince you to buy cosplay if you want to sew. This one is really not difficult at all, just a little time consuming. Pick a con a ways out if you are worried and do little bits at a time. Godspeed
>>
>>10896975
As the other anons have pointed out, you are not going to find a sewing pattern that fits this costume because the character designers didn't make it with a living human in mind (aka fantasy clothing nonsense). I'd suggest finding a pattern with mostly the right shape and then making alterations as needed. Personally I think a mockup would work best here and then you can transfer it to a paper pattern if desired.

Personally, I'd just go with a regular long sleeve midi dress and chop off the upper half of it, then think about how I'd like to keep the sleeves and bodice attached. There's several options, but personally I'd go with silicone bands (and probably body tape) on the sleeves. And the collar and bodice are close enough together that you can probably hide some invisible straps in there. The biggest edit is going to be the center seams and skirt. Using the mockup method, I'd just cut those seam lines in and then use the removed skirt portion to get an estimate on how much fabric will be needed for the pleating.

The one disagreement I will make is that I'd classify this as an intermediate level project, not an easy or beginner one. There's definitely a few key skills in here that'd be new to a beginner. If you are a beginner and still want to do this, I'd suggest just going slow, doing lots of research, and being open to making mistakes and fixing them as you go.
>>
Where can I buy suitable fabric for suiting in the UK?
The kind of stuff you would make a mens dress shirt, dress pants/trousers, suit jacket, etc out of?
All my local haberdashery sell stuff only suitable for dresses and upholstery
>>
>>10897444
yorkshire fabric in leeds
harrisons burley in west yorkshire
abraham moon and sons in west yorkshire
joel and son fabrics in london
acorn fabrics in lancashire
croft mill in lancashire
sherwoods fabrics in derbyshire
fox brothers in somerset for fine flannel
ring of kerry crafts does irish tweed wool
linton tweeds in carlisle
harris tweed in the highlands
nomad surplus luxury textiles in glasgow
fabric outlet uk in blackburn
poundametre in bradford
lamazi fabrics in west sussex
stone fabrics in devon
scabal in london
dalston mill
good fabric in wimbledon

>wool suiting by the metre
>cotton shirting by the meter
^search strings to plug into jewgle
>>
>>10897087
Does midi dress mean something different than it used to? For years I've seen it used to describe skirts/dresses that hit somewhere between below the knee and mid-calf, and the cosplay looks knee length to me but maybe I'm wrong. Genuine question.
>>
>>10897560
Nope, you're right. I think we were all just repeating what we read. It didn't even strike me until you pointed it out and I was listing off a bunch of technical terms
>>
Getting back into sewing, making a fleece jacket. I've been trying to draft the collar (simple 1.5in length standing collar) but it does not lie towards the neck, and sticks out. I know the workaround for knits is to make it slightly shorter length-wise so that you have to stretch it when you're sewing, but this collar is interfaced, so it doesn't stretch.

I tried making the collar curved (e.g. from the shoulder to the edge it is slightly curved up where I raise the bottom lip by 3/4ths inch and then french curve it from the shoulder to the edge) which seems to help a little bit, but it's not enough.
>>
>>10867917
any tips on how to get tailors chalk out of 100 percent cotton white fabric
>>
>>10897830
oops did not mean tor reply to that anon, sorry!
>>
>>10897560
My bad, I don’t do genshin and I got confused which saberface we were talking about. Regardless, a lot of midi dress patterns have that shape and often have longer lengths in the same pattern you can pick
>>
>>10898078
shut up.
>>
Okay I don’t do cosplay but this is the best place to ask this question. I work for a mascot company we make mascot costumes most of the time our industrial sewing machines are used for fur with foam so the tension is set for the fur the person currently teaching me has really bad anxiety and has trouble teaching…in fact they have trouble showing up at all. Anyway if I use fabric that’s much thinner than the usual fur like a plush or mesh would I decrease or increase the tension?
>>
File: OtomenoSewing.png (717 KB, 792x678)
717 KB
717 KB PNG
I'm making this OnS skirt with a lining added. Worried about the integrity of the exterior fabric - it's gobelin, but not upholstery gobelin, the weave is a little looser and thinner than I expected. For lining I'm going to use a light-to-medium-weight plain cotton.

Should I interface just the interior waistband, or both the interior and exterior? Or mayber I can extend the lining into the waistband section, sandwiching it between the two gobelin waistband pieces?

I was hoping to use sew-in interfacing but it may be visible if I attach it to the exterior, since there's no seam between the waist and skirt portions.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

>>10897830

I'm guessing water hasn't done anything, or you wouldn't be asking.
Have you tried washing it with Oxyclean or SARD or another oxygen bleach? It should get rid of damn near anything without damaging the cotton. You can soak the whole thing or try to spotclean if you don't want to do that.
>>
>>10898129
The word I was looking for when saying "interior waistband" is facing. The facing. Sorry, just blanked on it.
>>
>>10898079
Oh no the genshin zoomer is mad :(

go play your 4 minutes of storyline and buy a cosplay on taobao
>>
>>10898125
I am obsessed with this post
>>
>>10898216
i'm not even the OP you just sound like a contrarian retard bitching about gacha games. imagine being such a whiny cunt towards someone who ACTUALLY WANTS TO MAKE A GENSHIT costume for once.
>>
Does anyone sew mostly stretch fabric? I've been sewing 4-way stretch nylon/spandes/whatever for a while and it's going well, but my sewing machine is from the 70's and I have complaints about it (throat plate hole is too large so it skips stitches when sewing only 2 layers, the dogs (with walking foot) don't pull top and bottom layer well enough) so I'm looking at a singer heavy duty since I see people on youtube sewing stretch more successfully than I do using one. My question is - should I even get this? Or should I just get a serger and deal with my current machine for top stitching? My desk area is quite small so I'm not eager to be moving machines around multiple times to finish a piece, but I do think a serger would at least make assembly easier. Anyways, would love some more outside perspective!
>>
>>10898713
>Or should I just get a serger
yes. you'll very quickly wish you'd gotten it sooner. 4 thread will suit. differential feed is a must have. air threading is a luxury but a worthwhile one that kicks ass. coverstitch capability will let you do hems but will also up the price by a lot.
>and deal with my current machine for top stitching?
straight stitch throat plate might be available depending on your machine. piece of tape is always worth a go too. can you adjust the foot pressure on it?
>>
>>10898720
Yeah I'll keep a look out on fb and cl for a serger. I do want to be able to cover stitch for the quality of finish but I think I'd want a separate machine to minimize workflow clunkiness - and since I lack space that's probably not happening soon. I'm happy with zig zag though! It does have adjustable foot pressure, I've played around with it and improved what it was but it's still not perfect - I still have to do a significant amount of pulling from the other side. Maybe that's just because the fabric is getting pushed into the machine and getting caught because the throat hole is too big? I'll try out tape for starters. Thanks!
>>
I’m trying to fit a muslin for a pants pattern but can’t get the legs to hang straight. When I pin it so that the vertical grainline is straight, the side seams twist around my legs and if I pin it so the side seams are vertical, the grainline is skewed. I’m happy with the fit everywhere else and the back of the legs looks fine too if I don’t mess with the side seams too much. It’s just the front of the thighs where all the fabric pulls towards the inside and hangs loose at the inside of the knees.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
>>
Hi Im learning to sew and in some yt vids ive seen they use irons with a flat base and i think no steam when preparing the fabric. Is this something that really matters? I was thinking of just using my normal iron
>>
>>10898129
is there more guide to it than just this? im interested
>>
File: IMG_4151.jpg (148 KB, 720x1073)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
Someone help !!! Is there any way to rebuild high waisted jeans to low waisted:(
>>
>>10899223
Yes, but it's very high level to do so.
You would have to remove hte waistband, remove the pockets, remove the zipper - and then either cut it down to size or replace it with a shorter one, and then reassemble the entire garment back again. It would unironically be easier to just make a pair of jeans from scratch.
>>
>>10898713
>My question is - should I even get [the Singer Heavy Duty]?
I hear it's a good machine regardless, but I agree with the other anon that it sounds like what you're looking for is a serger instead.

I recently got a serger over the holidays. I'm a hobby sewist at a self-evaluated level of beginner-intermediate. And ho-ly shit is the machine cool as hell. I feel like it really has upgraded my sewing. And it is entirely different from a standard machine so I feel like it really pays for the purchase. This year's holiday sales weren't shit, so I went to the brother website and got a refurbished machine for half of the sticker price. One thing I would suggest you do is skip the secondhand market. I searched for weeks and people were selling them close to sticker price for used quality. Just get refurbished or buy new on sale.

>My desk area is quite small so I'm not eager to be moving machines around multiple times to finish a piece
Yeah, this is my only drawback. I have a tiny desk and no permanent space for sewing so anytime I sew or use the serger, I have to set up and take down the machines. Having a long desk that you can swivel chair between would make the sewing process so much faster. However, even with my unfavorable conditions, I've just been doing all of my serging or all o my straight stitching in one sitting.
>>
>>10899121
You can use any iron. Most normal irons have a no-steam setting. If yours doesn't, then just don't fill the iron with water and it should be fine. It's always helpful to check online how your fabric needs to be ironed and washed though.
>>
>>10898833
I'm not good with fabrics, but I see that no one else has responded yet and wanted to throw my hat in the ring for you.

Is it possible that the fabric itself is warped? I think there's a test you can do to "true" up the fabric -- google should be a little more helpful than I can be in that department.
>>
>>10899308
i ended up doing just that. my iron is an automatic so i didnt need to set the fabric type
>>
>>10898833
>>
I've been learning to handsew and I think I have the basics down, essentially just been sewing stuff together at random because I don't have any better ideas.

For the cosplay I want to do I'll need to make a cloak, and realistically if I want to compete with it I imagine I'd need to make the slacks, vest, and button up that would go under it.
Am I correct to assume that's something I should dive into machine sewing for? And would I be better off working towards the clothes first (Since they're nothing special about them other than my size) or the big, flowing cloak?
>>
>>10899337
my iron has fabric types but the iron doesn't even seem to turn on unless I put it all the way to the hottest setting / cotton. Simple irons just be like that sometimes I guess. Glad you figured it out!
>>
>>10899471
It is possible to handsew those items and do them well, but it will take a lot longer to do so. There's a lot of historical costumers out there such as Sewstine and Bernadette Banner on youtube who prefer handsewing their costumes/clothing entirely. It's all preference and speed. I'd limit it to one item on the smaller side (like the vest) to test our your patience and technique. I'd sooner kill myself than make a cloak by hand, but some people lavish the thought. Just personal preference.

In general though, even when using a machine, you're going to need handsewing on occassion to finish a garment; so, I wouldn't worry about putting your work to waste. It'll definitely have its use.
>>
File: 2024-01-16-14-25-02-8720.jpg (2.18 MB, 4000x3000)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
Hey, I'm following this sewing tutorial for a circle skirt https://youtu.be/ZLIwegZOkKw?si=lxXlly96P4T7lATX and i think i fucked up. should i have put the waist band on the front first? This is my first time sewing and this zipper makes no sense to me.
>>
>>10899537
zipper is at 12:45 btw, i meant to copy that
>>
Suddenly my machine began punching enormous holes into my fabrics in the middle of a project. Is the needle the problem or where should I start troubleshooting? It's a universal 80 needle and a thickish woven cotton, not quite denim thickness but getting there. I was making napkins, so hemming edges pretty much.
>>
File: IMG_3676.jpg (591 KB, 1576x2100)
591 KB
591 KB JPG
this felt piece seems loose, like it was almost torn at some point and is just hanging on, and i’m really worried it’ll break eventually. what can i do to fix it?
>>
>>10899542
put a new needle in, see if it keeps doing it
>>
>>10899537
I don't quite understand your question, but from your picture, it seems that you sewed your waistband on backwards. The vibrant printed side should be on the outside (right) side of the fabric (aka what is going to be seen when you're wearing it). Unpick the seam, resew it, reserge it, then input the zipper. Lastly sew the facing's top and bottom seams.

To be honest, these steps seem a little convoluted to me. Maybe I do it the lazy way, but it seems easier to just double the width of the waistband and fold it over instead of using a facing. You can use it to hide the raw edges and install the zipper just the same. That's just my humble onion though.
>>
>>10899621
i didnt understand it either (i thought it was just me). i sort of fixed the waist band but i cant figure out how to install the zipper so i think i might do buttons or something
>>
>>10899626
nta but in your pic the zipper is upside down for one. i hope you're not making this circle skirt for lolita...
>>
>>10899632
>i hope you're not making this circle skirt for lolita
idk what this means (i dont really dress lolita, does it look lolita idk) but i couldnt figure out the zipper at all as i said. didnt sew it in
>>
>>10899635
NTA, but there have been anons claiming circle skirts are lolita fairly recently, so I believe anon was worried.
>>
I’ve made a gathered rectangle skirt with a fitted waistband, I was thinking about adding suspender straps for it and attaching them with a button closure, does anyone know how to pattern draft suspender straps like that or have resource's for how to do it? I like to use precise measurements and math when drafting patterns.
>>
File: o0671054413416159094.jpg (42 KB, 671x544)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Does anyone have a pattern for ainu Tekunpe? Or any Ainu stuff in general, I can't find anything so I'm coming to you fine folks
>>
>>10899626
Invisible zippers aren't very beginner friendly (or most people friendly, I'd argue). It's totally okay to do a regular zipper if that's easier or buttons. For a circle skirt, an elasticated waistband is a great option.

If you do want to tackle the invisible zipper, think of it like a book. the part that faces the right side of the skirt's fabric is the cover. You want to open the book (which involved twisting each side of the zipper away from the opening of the seam without moving the bottom of the zipper. That part should stay right side facing you). And then once you're looking at the wrong side of the zipper, you sew it down as close as you can to the zipper's teeth -- ironing it open first helps a lot and using a zipper foot helps even more. Then once you finish, you can flip the sides back, zip up per usual, and finish the rest of the seam as you see in the video.

Best of luck, anon. You're doing really well for a beginner!
>>
>>10899699
They're just rectangles, no?

>To find length, you'd just throw a flexible ruler over your shoulder, pin it at the back of your waist band, and then measure to where you want it on the front of your skirt.
>For the width, just hold up a ruler to your shoulder and estimate how much you want.
>Then add 1/2in or more to all sides
>You could change up the shape of the front if you want to as well.
>>
>>10899709
ohh thats a really good way of explaining it, thank you! still not sure if i want to add it to this project though, already pretty much finished it so i dont think it would be a good idea
>>
File: 81NHEw9K62L._AC_UY1000_.jpg (112 KB, 956x1000)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
If I wanted to put a design (like a star or heart) on a sweater like this, would those felt fabric sheets they sell at craft stores be okay for a sweatshirt. The one I was thinking of using is fleeced lined like this (idk if that matters but the outside feels normal). I just don't know if that's the right material and if it is okay if I works have to wash the sweater a different way from then on
>>
>>10899756
Yes, you can, but keep in mind that the fabric under where you glue/sew is no longer going to move/stretch. Depending on how big the design is, you can glue or sew, with sewing highly preferred for a cleaner/more professional-looking finish, and less likely to peel off. Just make sure you are using the right needle and machine setting if you are sewing.
>>
>>10899808
I personally wouldn’t do it on a sweatshirt like this at all, it would be more convenient to do it with a less thick sweatshirt or even just something like denim.
>>
>>10865253
gulls I'm in need of your assistance
my mom loves sewing as a hobby, and she's getting better, but she absolutely doesn't have a clue on how to make necks, sleeves and you know any of that stuff
Do you know any book that touch on those kind of things she can read and learn the patterns,e tc?
>>
>>10899493
Oh yeah, I'll definitely have plenty of use for hand-sewing
Still got lots of straps and padding to make after all.

I did have another thought though. I have access to a sewing machine that's used in a professional setting, but the time I can use it is pretty limited.
Would it make sense to pick up a small sewing machine from Hobby Lobby or something to learn on/make smaller things?
>>
File: IMG_5384.jpg (1.47 MB, 3024x3625)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
The gloves that came with this cosplay don’t fit me nearly tight enough to stay in place.
What would be my best bet for making them stay put on my upper arm? There is a gold band that goes around them and can hide some stuff, but I’m intending to cut off the fabric one and replace it with a printed one so it will look better
>>
had anybody bought fabrics from AliExpress or a similar super before? wondering if there's any cheap decent stuff to be bought
>>
>>10900309
Stich them tighter along the seam
>>
>>10875635
freesewing's Carlton should be close enough for you to make the adjustments yourself
>>
Anyone gut a recommendation for a computerized sewing machine?
I've been doing a lot with my cheap mechanical one right now, but automatic buttonholes and thread finishing sound pretty nice. Don't really have a need for 10k fancy stitches.
>>
>>10873173
any kind soul pl0xe?
>>
>>10873173
>>10900827
not sure why you'd want a book for that. Most sensible is always checking out existing patterns and watching youtube videos for stuff you don't get.
I have The New Complete Guide to Sewing by Reader's Digest which was highly recommended a few years ago but I have really only used it once to look up welted pockets and even there I later found a different technique online that I rather use now.
>>
>>10900762
I feel kind of stupid right now for not thinking of that
>>
>>10900760
Yes, sometimes you'll see people in the AliExpress threads. Usually it's tools, thread, or trim. I can't recall if any of them mentioned buying fabric but I can't imagine it'd be any different from buying online from other stores. Just check the reviews
>>
Anyone ever DIY a dress form? I don't need it to last very long, and I don't want to invest the time in a self made sewn form kit. I'm thinking of taking front and side profile photos of myself, printing it out to scale on paper, and using those as a stencil to carve my torso out of XPS foam. I would have to do manual carving to finish it off but that doesn't sound too bad if I have those first two cuts done. Does this sound viable? Any advice for the construction or features I should include?
>>
>>10901348
I have seen people use expanding foam to make a dressform. There's tons of youtube videos on similar methods. I'm not familiar with the material you're talking about, but I'd imagine it's possible.
>>
>>10901348
just make a plaster cast, not that expensive and basically perfect
>>
>>10901360
>>10901387
I've seen people do a cast and fill it with foam - it bulges as the foam expands leaving you with a non-true figure. This could be solved with many strategic clamps or a hard supportive second casting layer, but I think any of that is more complex than my idea, which is to start with a 2'x'2x4' foam block, attach the templates to the front and side, and just cut through each template, leaving a form that only needs to be refined a little more with a rasp or knife. Now if only I could find big blocks of foam locally! My current plan is to use 2" xps insulation boards to glue and stack into a thick block, which I will then cut up with a big diy hot wire. Should be just $50 for the foam board as I have the other materials.
>>
>>10871133
stupid question but any reason for non-stretch cotton specifically?
>>
>>10901728
stretchy materials are more difficult to work with cause they stretch around while you're sewing if you arent careful and they need a different needle etc
>>
Is there any easy way to convert Green Machine dies to fit a Blue Machine? I already have a nice mini flypress, which despite being green has the 12mm / 1/4" fittings for Blue Machine dies, but the vast majority of dies I can find except for the cheapest aliexpress crap are for Green Machines (19mm / M8).
>>
>>10865253
anyone have recommendations for beginners sewing books that include patterns for practice?
>>
>>10901728
Not a stupid question at all. You need a different needle, stitch, and techniques when using stretch fabrics because the stretch of the fabric can make it slip around on your sewing machine or change the tension. When using stretch fabrics, you also want it to retain it's stretching powers, so you can't use a regular stitch type because it'll snap the thread.

Working with stretch fabrics isn't all that difficult to do, but it's a whole different ballpark for someone just learning how to sew. It's like learning to drive with a stick-shift -- not impossible, but needlessly difficult for a beginner.
>>
I've been using a 70's Kenmore 10 sewing machine since I started a year ago and I think I'm ready for a new machine! This one seems to have trouble with birdsnesting with certain threads, I'm kind of over troubleshooting this machine at this point so I'm hoping a new one "just works". My ideal budget is under $300 and I'm familiar with the singer heavy duty since that's what a lot of youtubers use. Any others I should consider? I mostly do zig zag on stretch fabric.
>>
>>10901865
i personally recommend hand-sewing for stretch fabrics. it's tedious and time consuming but you have a lot more control in my opinion, and it's easier to put it in a machine if you know how to work with it by hand
>>
File: DrifingDragonsEx.jpg (43 KB, 736x414)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>10865253
I have never sewn before (well, except mending buttons and such) but I want to create a high quality uniform from "Drifting Dragons" (pic related). If I just procure and use a pattern for jodhpurs and modify a chef coat pattern, would I be alright? Is this too ambitious for a first project?
>>
>>10902507
Yes, too ambitious to expect a GOOD quality end result. If you just want it to be a learning experience and don't care if the end result is dogshit, go for it, you'll learn a lot (by which I mean in a couple of months or years, you'll realize how much you didn't know). If you are serious about making a good-looking first project, make a pillowcase, apron, and pajama bottoms first. Then just a regular shirt (unlined). Then a regular unfitted top (lined). Then perhaps consider a jacket. Expose yourself to at least 5 very different kinds of fabric.
>>
>>10902515
Hm...Yeah that makes sense. I am now thinking that diving into an entirely new craft for the purpose of a single project might not be the best idea. I was thinking I could just use the sewing area at my local makerspace for this one project. Everything has a skill curve. I get cocky, ignore that, and get myself into trouble. That's how I destroyed 2 separate car engines! Maybe I should just contract someone out. In any case, thanks for the advise.
>>
File: 16294547_1.jpg (69 KB, 1500x1500)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>10865253
new to sewing, can I make a sukumizu/swimsuit with a sewing machine or is it better to get a serger. Can a serger be a first timers machine?
>>
>>10902702
Serger or elastic facing tape to finish the edges, and zigzag stretch stitch on a sewing machine. Honestly with how popular the Japanese school swimsuit is, it's going to be cheaper/better/faster for you to buy one online.

A serger cannot replace a sewing machine. A serger is just a specialized sewing machine that does one job very well and nothing else.
>>
>>10902758
Nta but why not serge the seams? I’ve never made a swimsuit but when I work with jersey I sew all the seams on my serger, and my store bought swimsuit looks to have been made the same way. I pretty much only use my sewing machine for top stitching when I sew with stretch fabric.
>>
>>10902702
I have made full bikini/one piece swimsuits out of 4-way stretch knit fabric with just a sewing machine - it's doable but you should definitely practice with scrap fabric first. I recommend jersey needles, a walking foot attachment, and tissue paper for backing. Most knit fabric doesn't fray so you don't actually need to serge your edges, just zigzag everything together. If you're working with piping/binding then baste it onto the panel first before folding it over and top stitching with a zigzag. One of the trickier parts of sewing stretch fabric is getting a feel for how much you should be tugging at it - you want to keep it taught as it goes under the needle without over stretching it.
>>
being a 5'10" woman with 24" circumference thighs, it's impossible to find long socks that are long enough to go all the way up to where the thigh meets the butt, while also stretching enough to comfortably fit my thighs without constricting them to hell

I have spent so much money on "thigh socks" that should fit but don't. It's as if all these socks are designed for 5'2" twinks with thin legs.
Thundathighs stuff on the other hand, is too wide on paper, plus it looks like the bottom half would basically just flop around my legs. I want socks, not leg warmers.

Do textile manufacture methods make it impossible to make longer socks with a more funneled shape? Why are socks always roughly the same width all the way up, even supposed thigh-high socks? Makes zero sense.

Is it possible to make my own socks? I've found guides on making stockings, but I want socks, not stockings. I want that soft and a bit thick sock fabric.

I don't know what to do, nothing fits, it's infuriating. Above average height and not overweight = you get stuck in the no man's land between standard sizes and plus sizes, neither fit.
>>
>>10898129
Is it that blue gobelin from Aliexpress (there's 3 different patterns in the listing and one of them is blue) because I have that in my cart rn and I was wondering if I should buy to make a headdress and wrist cuffs
>>
>>10903053
Buy the ultra long thigh-high socks from Cospatio, they will fit you. You can only find them from Japanese hobby import stores like AmiAmi.
>>
I want to embed collar stays inside of a collar rather than making collar stay slits on the underside of the collar, is there a way to do that? Or a way to get a stiff collar without collar stays?
>>
I think the yarns arts thread dropped off the catalog so I’ll ask here. How durable are woollen socks really, and is it worth it to knit my own OTK/thigh high socks? My store bought socks that I wear on a regular basis always develop holes around the toe area after 2-3 years, and since I’m a slow knitter I’m not keen on the idea of investing lots of time into making something that wears out quickly. Especially because I’d like to make thigh high socks which would naturally take more time and yarn than short socks.
>>
>>10867953
just get your mommy dearest to do it for you silly gull :)
>>
>>10903162
more durable than cotton by a longshot. although i dislike knitting socks so my comparison is based on rtw. they've all been merino too. wool from longhair breeds typically wears like iron but wouldn't be as soft. shetland or bfl or something might be a happy medium. plus if holes do develop it's easy enough to unravel the toe and reknit it with some fresh yarn. sock knitting machines are another option albeit a pricey one. imo those little 9" and 10" circulars are tough to beat for small circumference work. oh and do you walk around the house wearing them over carpeted floors? because this kills the sock. pair of slippers ftw.
>>
File: file.png (475 KB, 1177x831)
475 KB
475 KB PNG
i'm trying to find this fabric, or close enough to it. the video describes it as "elastic material with a rubber coating" but that leads me nowhere and it is driving me insane. googling "rubberised fabric" gives me vaguely similar looking things but it's hard to tell. am i just stupid?
>>
>>10903570
rubber could just mean plastic in general, is it stretch vinyl? check out the "4 Way Stretch Marine Vinyl" on marinevinylfabrics. I don't think actual rubber wouldnt be very good with fabric because it would dry out exposed to air in that thin of a layer. What video is this from?
>>
>>10903572
https://youtu.be/NovgPB4UAXU?si=SsIXJcxbQPQbGo1d&t=82 from here
>>
>>10900848
interesting, but... any approach to find the right keywords?
>>
>>10903733
at what stage is she fucktarded? drafting tracing pressing cutting seaming other constructing? and fucktarded in what way? gib more detail
>>
>>10903570
Looks like a lightweight 4-way stretch pleather, which is like a performance knit with a thin pleather/plasticky coating on the surface.
>>
Have any of you made jackets from tropical wool? Curious how well the shape of a chore jacket would hold up with such a lightweight material
>>
File: signal-2024-03-23-103618.jpg (341 KB, 1152x2048)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
I'm trying to design my own casual collared shirts. I'm wanting the same fabrics as the shirts in my picture. I know they're cotton, but I'm not sure which type of cotton. When I show up to Joann's, I get overwhelmed with all the different types of cotton and don't know what to do, even if I feel all the fabrics, I'm just not sure if I feel the right type. Does anyone know what type of fabric this is?
>>
>>10906976
I figured it out, it's calico cotton. I am dumb, yes.
>>
>>10888516
i've been trying to make a wallet, what did you use to make it stiff?
>>
>>10891170
not used but i had a shirt made of this stuff, feels crunchy and a bit scratchy. Personally i would never use if for anything
>>
File: 1711434757950783.jpg (3.03 MB, 2048x2048)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB JPG
May I please know if someone recognizes the fabric maker of these? I've tried reverse-searching and I can see something like chenille pop up. But I also got similar results with "faux linen" and "distressed texture linen" and the like. Thank you!
>>
>>10908196
no clue but this looks more like a cotton canvas type of weaving.
>>
1/2
Need advice. Aiming for this cosplay, most parts are bought but I still need to make the red parts including the gold decorations. I'm almost blind so have extreme difficulties sewing and making anything straight/even. Was planning on throwing something together with fabric glue, ribbons, magnets and i guess a stencil with fabric paint. 1) What type of fabric should I buy for the red parts? I'm aiming for waterproof, not shiny, works with fabric glue. 2) Ribbon or paint for borders? 3) should i give up and do a total closet cosplay? See pic in next post
>>
>>10908323
example of potential closet cosplay material
>>
>>10908324
pic didnt work, retrying
>>
>>10908267
Thank you! I think I can go for something like stiff cotton upholstery fabric.
>>
>>10908267
Adding to this >>10908379
I think I found the majority of the fabrics. Moda Grunge Basics. Did some digging using a few other pics.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/590005465/grunge-basics-in-creme-1-yard-by
>>
I'm not from this board so I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, so I will anyways.
I dyed a cotton garment with rit dye the other day and it worked great aside from all the stitching. If I buy the rit dye for synthetics would it just dye the stitching and leave the denim alone like the other dye did with the nylon thread?
>>
>>10909023
no, it'll likely dye everything. synthetic dye can still stick to natural fibers
>>
>>10909098
Yeah that's what I was concerned about. I've read mixed results about whether or not it'll mess with the cotton too much. Thank you,
>>
>>10908077
interfacing
>>
>>10908323
You have some options here and it really depends on your person preference, time, and money.
If you make it yourself, you'll just have to accept that it won't look neat or perfect due to your difficulty with making things straight. If that's okay with you, start with a premade poncho and use the method that is going to be easiest for you. Ribbon with sewing glue or WonderUnder or fabric paint would work. It's just preference. Sewing would've been the best, but clearly that isn't an option for you. Also, don't use knit. Use a non-stretch and not-holed fabric like cotton. I'm not sure why you'd need waterproof necessarily.

If you do not want to make it yourself or want it to look better, try seeing if you can find the cosplay online. Some people sell their old costumes and some companies make and sell them. Or you can commission the pieces from an artist if you have the time and funds.

Good luck, anon!
>>
How do you tailor sleeves?
My elbows are annoying me. I'm using non-stretchy fabric. My arms are pretty much 14" all the way to my hands, but as soon as I bend my elbow, it's like 20". I don't want to have to walk like a mummy.
>>
>>10910571
You have to add fabric where you need more. You can't make non-stretch fabric grow. There are a couple of different shapes of panels you can add, but if it's the whole arm, you are likely best off with a panel for the entire length of the arm.
>>
>>10910627
But I don't want the whole arm to be baggy just for the elbow.
>>
>>10910663
Well then I guess you're not going to bend your arms or flex the entire time. Suck it up for physics.
A looser sleeve for the whole length will look less awkward than a bulge or a hole at the elbow.
>>
Is there any truely invisible thread, that's not shiny? Or could I dunk transparent plastic thread in something to remove the shine and make it less visible?
>>
>>10867953
I specifically bought a $50, 1950s children's sewing machine because there's no bobbin (and it doesn't use electricity, and it fits in a backpack). It improved my motivation to sew.
>>
>>10911026
sort of. go in person to buy the matching thread. bring a scrap of your fabric along with you. hold it up, scan around the shop display with it, and zero in on the spool of thread whose color is identical to the fabric. and then leave it there. don't purchase this color thread that looks so exactly the same you think there's no way in hell it could be anything other than a perfect match. instead check this spool's immediate neighbors because the /actual/ perfect match is still that same color but just a shade or two darker.

an exercise. if you live with or near someone who sews, you can maybe raid their stash for edification. gather three spools of the same color thread that are, relative to the fabric: 1) exactly identical in HSV, 2) one shade or two lighter in V, and 3) one shade or two darker in V.
>set fabric on table flat
>set spools on fabric
>pick a spool
>unreel few inches of thread from it
>lay this single strand across fabric
>repeat other two spools
>step few paces backwards
>observe
results? thread 1 will visibly stand out a little. thread 2 will stand out a lot more. thread 3 has effectively disappeared.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.