[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Asked everyone I know for advice, still at the end of my wits - now it's time to ask randos to be mean to me.

23F, choosing between two Master degrees to study - Bioinformatics or Pharmaceutical chemistry, one has all coding no labwork but is more employable, the other has more chemistry and is more fun.

On one hand I am an angry basement dweller, so coding is more suiting, on the other - love chemistry and the first reason I got into biology was to be at the lab bench. Either comes with potential to aid the coming zombie plague. What would you do in my place?
>>
>>31222098
What were your GRE scores?
>>
>>31222098
This damn thing made my verify 5 times in a row.
>>
>>31222098
I feel like Pharmaceuticals is nearly played out. Medicines are more and more ineffective but take longer to develop, and it's a crapshoot.

Bioinformatics, on the other hand, is more widely marketable to employers since the statistics and data crunching work on a much broader range of topics.
>>
>>31222098
Pharmaceutical chemistry. Bioinformatics sounds like a meme and you know it
>>
>>31222098
>love chemistry and the first reason I got into biology was to be at the lab bench.
I think you know the answer to that.
>>
>>31222098
>>31222402
You will probably not love the lab bench after years of being used as a wagie by some bigshots for multiple years. However, some lab experience is still valuable. Talk to former grad students from the laboratory sciences, especially ones in industry.
>>
>>31222098
Real trick, read it through.

Heads, you do bioinformatics. Tails you do pharmaceutical chemistry.

As soon as you flip the coin, you're gonna notice once theres even the slightest chance the choice has been taken away from you and that your Fate is sealed, you're gonna find yourself *hoping* for an outcome.

That's what you actually want to do, and it's what you should do. This still has an effect even though you know the coin flip doesn't matter so much.

The reality of life is, in 10 years, you're not gonna be where you thought you would, but your education and experience will have lead you where you end up. If what you want to do has some kind of value, it's worth doing.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.