[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I don't think I will be able to graduate in Math, this shit is way too fucking hard, but I'm so close too. I got only 5 subjects left but they are impossibly hard. Shit job prospects too, and academia probably won't accept me for my shit grades.
I should've picked an easier degree like CS. I know how to code but companies won't take me seriously without a degree/cert.
What the hell do I do? I'm 22, is it too late to change majors?
>>
Perhaps a different approach to mathematics is in order, I would like to suggest a read which may be worth your time:
https://worrydream.com/refs/Lockhart_2002_-_A_Mathematician's_Lament.pdf

It is 25 pages short, if it helps.

>What the hell do I do?
>I'm so close too.
It may be good to carry on. You can almost 'taste' it.
>>
which university? at mine theres like applied math - statistics and data science B.S. where the difference is just in the last 6 classes vs. the math major
>>
Switch to math minor and pick up CS major. You might already have all the reqs for the minor and you can grind out the CS in an extra year or two. During the summers try to get an internship, CS + math -> industry is an excellent path. Not sure if money is an issue here but it's better to pay a bit extra to get a good degree than fail out completely and have nothing but debt.

God speed anon, not to be der schooler or anything but I'd kill to be 22 and in college again.
>>
>>31117569
>I know how to code but companies won't take me seriously without a degree/cert.
Who told you that? Academia boogeyman?
> t. Dropout making $150k in tech.
>>
>>31119057
self employed?
>>
>>31119623
Not even. Work for a CA software company.
>>
>>31119057
it's not 2010 anymore grandpa
>>
File: 1000001035.jpg (33 KB, 649x486)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>31117569
Probably a good idea OP unless you have a burning desire to study mathematics. I did my B.S and Masters in Math and can't find shit. I also published papers and won multiple awards but industry doesn't give a fuck even if you publish in the annals of mathematics. It's kind of unfortunate because I think at least some math majors would make great employees if given a chance but it's basically impossible now to get a software job because it was flooded by CS normies. I'm now moving on to a Ph.D but i wonder myself sometimes why I just didn't study EE or CS.
>>
>>31121607
You're right. It's 2024, you zoomie nigger. Companies straight blacklist certain universities now
>>
>>31117569
>What the hell do I do? I'm 22, is it too late to change majors?
When I was in your situation I just took an extra year and graduated my degree.
>>
>>31121387
what kinda resume did you have to get hired n when?
>>
>>31125093
Junior dev resume. 3ish years doing software. I started as a part time contractor and had a friend at the company refer me. I worked my ever living fucking ass off until I got on full time. Been tenured for a while and now I'm lazy as fuck.
>>
>>31125211
thanks for answering my questions, you earned the success anon, good work
>>
>>31117569
Hi OP, I'm in academia in Europe and noone gives a shit about your grades, only about your papers/thesis and project plan. That being said, maybe you could get into economics? A lot of economics students are shit at math so by comparison you'll shine. If you wanted to continue in academia you could, and it would give you an application for math in a way that either benefits society or at least gets you research grants, but there's also a world outside and if you already know math and coding you'll beat a lot of econ majors. I know STEM people shit all over economists but wouldn't it be a pretty sweet deal to be one of maybe three guys in the room who actually know maths and to be able to present a good analysis? It's a venue you might have not considered before so I thought I'd suggest it. Economists can work in basically any sector so you wouldn't have to limit yourself that much, just think of it as going for a hands-on analysis with real-world results where you use maths and have the ability to spice it up with some pretty interesting sociology if you're into that shit. I switched majors several times but it's not the same here as in the US, that being said, don't worry about it. An extra year to find what you actually can get good at is worth it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.