[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: chain reveal.webm (625 KB, 720x864)
625 KB
625 KB WEBM
I made product renderings for a client and it went great but now the client is asking for an animation like vid related.

I tried the (newly updated) particle simulation in C4D to try to create a body of liquid and also tried xParticles but both runs like shit on my M1 MacBook. I tried my best to optimize the simulations following multiple tutorials online but I cant get semirealistic results.

Now that I am thinking about it I might be vastly overcomplicating things since I basically just need to raise the product from a plane that somewhat sticks to the object.

Does anyone have an idea for a method I could use to achieve the effect in a much simpler way? I must be missing something.
>>
>>981610
Think a VFX layer and rendered depth maps is the way to go. You do the edge interaction between the objects as a texture 'waterline' type effect rather than try simulate it in actual geometry.
>>
File: sprinkels.jpg (163 KB, 1755x876)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>981613
>>981610

Like I never done this before but I'm trying to do something somewhat similar atm making a semi-submerged sprinkles texture to emulate that donut look from other thread.
>>
File: Chairnerd Reveal.webm (1.08 MB, 720x864)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB WEBM
>>981610
Animate geomety, renderz zdepth channel, use zdepth as displacement, soften and relax goo geometry, profit. I literally takes 20 minutes to make and render.
>>
File: goo_dep_0033.jpg (135 KB, 2000x2400)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>981621
Adjust zdepth gradient so it breaks the surface.

>>981613
Yep.
>>
i'm a houdini fella but i think you c4d guys have volume booleans/volume tools with volume builder / volume meshing tools right?
you might get decent result with that. just do a post-boolean smooth on the cube (you probably won't be able to use a grid) to round the edges things and inflate the volume of the collider object.
refine the effect by also adjusting your product's volume representation (round off edges, add a bit of noise etc).
gl hf.
>>
>>981621
based. fucken saved
>>
>>981617
>>981621
>>981622
doing stuff like this is fine for videogames, but do this in advertising and you'll be doing poverty-gigs for the rest of your life.
>>
>>981685
That's exactly how the chain in OP was done tho
>>
>>981685
>Look my methods are more complicated please hire me.
>>
>>981610
>using M1 MacBook for 3D
based retard. my M1 mini can't even run minecraft in more than 10fps at the default 5K res
>>
>>981695
not really, but if you can't tell, it's fine - some people just don't have a discerning eye

>>981696
it's usually much simpler, just more compute intensive
>>
>>981699
>some people just don't have a discerning eye

Pfft.. You don't have a discerning brain unless you realize how that same effect can be achieved in VFX.
What chairnerd provided proves it well. Your chain is visible underneath the surface as a dark outline but that can just be an additional VFX layer effect.
And the reflection of the chain in the outline is stylistically different but not really better or worse and could be tweaked to taste.

My will to help you has dried up tho as it's become clear to me you're in the habit of being a bit of a cunt.
>>
>>981699

If you had a discerning eye you'd realize that is a VFX layer because the fluid wont flow back in underneath the chain links as they're being revealed even tho a space should now exist there, the effect stays as the visible outline of the geometry at all times betraying the fact it is done via Z-depth as a outline effect.
>>
>>981610
>use a tablet-tier cpu and gpu for a very intensive workload
>why isn't it working
>>
File: whothefuckcares.png (57 KB, 471x270)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>
File: rock goo test.png (2.3 MB, 1544x1125)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB PNG
>>981613
>>981622

OP here, thank you guys a lot!

I'll be honest, I didnt understand how to use a zdepth render as displacement and couldnt find tutorials on it.

Was on a tight deadline so I just tried to find any possible way and while searching I found a tut that showed a similar effect using a vertexmap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEOomxTqNI

Adapted it like pic related (random rock as a replacement for the product, also actual 'liquid' the client wanted is chrome).

However, could you still give me maybe a pointer towards how to do your technique? I don't get what you guys mean by vfx layer and it seems like a really powerful workflow.
>>
>>981778
It's really simple
Just render a zdepth pass of the object from the top, use it as a displacement texture and animate the strength of the displacement from 0 to how much you need to show the object.
>>
>>981710
>>981711
or you could just do sdf booleans and never have to render a pass and maintain more control over the geo with less friction

thanks for the essays and the 1980's techniques though
>>
>>981778
VFX just means you do it as compositing in a videoediting software. You render out your mesh and a depth pass and inside your video editing software you'd set up layers to blend it all together to make a transition between your CGI and your other layer using your Z-depth.

I work real-time stuff so I haven't touch any videoeditor in years but 'adobe premiere' and 'after effects' was what I used back in the day and it was really easy to just jump in and use those as it's basically a photoshop for videos and I already knew my way around photoshop inside out.

There's probably better suites available, all the VFX tryhards used different software back then too but I can't recall their name.
>>
>>981685
>>981699

How's that discerning eye of yours now you sad fuck?
>>
>>981818
pretty good, man; feels great to be better than everyone else. how you doing?
>>
>>981610
Is this even particles and not a plane intersecting with a special shader?
>>
>>981711
>>981695
OP's video is using a high viscosity fluid sim in reverse.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.