[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (152 KB, 1077x587)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Stylish tacticool reloads
>>
Things that move
>>
>>972037
I like them, except when it's too over the top
>>
>>972037
Running hunchbacked or otherwise lumped over like some office neck quasimodo.

Magnetic looking movement as if character being pulled/attracted onto walls/ladders/vault points by some external unexplained force.

Running with a deep bend in legs because nobody on the team knew how to solve for IK approaching a straight limb without snapping shut at infinite speed.
>>
>le misses gun with magazine on the first try
okay it looked cool the first time I saw it but nowadays it's way overused

also the parkinson's shakes and wobbles after every movement
>>
>>972037
The stupid tiktok face, like the overwatch characters, I hate that style.
>>
>>972037
Low frame rate
>>
>>972721
Spiderverse and its consequences have been a disaster for the animation artform.
>>
>>972037
why the tf2 cow
>>
You know, it would cool to see guns from old 3d FPS games like Half Life or Counter Strike reanimated to have modern style reload animations. I want to see how that would look.
>>
>>972981
>modern style reload animations
that just means CoD tacticool style
>>
3d animation that animates on twos/threes or is stepped or is low framerate or whatever you wanna call it

the shit spiderverse and puss in boots and a bunch of 3d anime does

it looks fucking dogshit and makes me actually ill to look at. The only times i've seen it done well is in arcsys games where it's not even the same thing since it just jumps from keyframe to keyframe for move animations (when it's just low framerate in between in idle animations it still looks terrible) and Hi-Fi rush's cutscenes, which is the only time it's actually done in a way that looks alright
>>
Over-animating the camera.
The camera rarely if ever needs to fly around doing summersaults and corkscrews all over the scene.
>>
I can't remember the exact video but it has those anime trope (fighting with magic) and the characters are more or less looks like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXz0bBkzCws&
>>
People that uses AI to make 60fps animations, fucking gamers, I want to end myself when I see that shit
>>
>>973902
Ahh, I found it. I HATE IT SO MUCH. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9klzZsVw-cQ&
Why does this type of garbage are so popular
>>
>>973905
It's bad on purpose to make you kek
>>
>>972052
>Running with a deep bend in legs because nobody on the team knew how to solve for IK approaching a straight limb without snapping shut at infinite speed.
I don't know if it's what you're talking about, but Scout's running animation in TF2 reminds me of this. It's total fucking jank.
>>
File: dodgeroll.gif (2.06 MB, 268x200)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB GIF
>>972037
More like a gameplay trend, but dodge-rolling. Ocarina of Time using it as a defacto sprint button and Monster Hunter & Demon's/Dark Souls popularizing the trend of heavily-armored individuals in plate mail continuously rolling around just killed it for me.
>>
>>973248
Is this really a "trend" and not just the mark of a beginner animator? I only ever see fucked up cameras from people just starting or people with no skill, or autists.

>>974040
Dodge rolling isn't exclusive to those games, nor did they popularize it. It's in nearly every 6th gen game ever.
Besides, don't be hatin on MH. That's some fucking fighting words. Plenty of weapons types on there don't let you roll.
>>
jerky and overacted weapon animations, like what Kommander Karl does in his reload parody videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHi-xECyGTU
>>
File: soft_ik_header.gif (2.3 MB, 1000x563)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB GIF
>>973915
Yeah. Scout being so cartoony kinda sells it but you still to this day see those style of animations combined with realistic art styles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_S1AA0stU0

It's a thing because of the way IK works and if do the naive thing, that everyone tries at first, and just drop a IK chain hip-to-ankle
you end up with this phenomena how the angles in the triangle that make up your limb will go towards zero faster and faster
as the long side of that triangle approaches the combined length of the thigh+calf.

This means a limb that seeks a IK end goal will very obviously speed up towards infinite velocity as it approaches full extension.
This is most visible near full extension and often referred to as 'IK poping'.

If you graph the lenght of an extending limb in the real world you'll see how it smoothly curves off towards maximum extension
as we're limited by the torques our muscles can provide.

Many solutions like 'pic related' exist but setting up systems like that and working with them is finicky and unfortunately seem to require more
brain bandwidth than that which is available for our average animators.

Therefore many studios/artleads just accept it and work around a limb that never goes straight even tho it makes it look like everyone shat their britches.
>>
>>974041
>Is this really a "trend" and not just the mark of a beginner animator?

It certainly was a trend as CGI became available and directors where able to film any scene from any angle.
Remember a lot of movie people and directors where not avid video gamers and where not accustomed to being able to move cameras like that.

It's as if there is this phase where the first times you see it you can be wow'ed by viewing something that looks so different from
how we experience the world and it takes a while for audiences to tire and realize just how gaudy it looks.

So they ended up 'experimenting' with it probably thinking it looked cool because it looked different.

A lot of what is nowadays referred to as '90's cool' movies are infected with this trope.
'The Matrix' is guilty for kicking it off in a big way but managed to stay mostly tasteful with it
However all the lesser work, including it's sequels, inspired by that look went tard with a hard R with it.

Some high profile examples include the 'Resident Evil' movies and anything Michael Bay post CGI era.

In more recent times Marvel kept going 'total camerawork bukkake' from time to time, prob still do but I stopped paying attention to movies.
>>
>>974095
>as CGI became available and directors where able to film any scene from any angle.

Also a lot of 'Practical over CGI' is down to this. it's not just how practical effects looks better from a pure visual fidelity perspective,
it's because of how it all has to take place infront of a camera and is very costly to produce meticulous care is taken to plan and frame that shot so it reads well.
More and better minds are involved with signing off on every aspect how that thing is filmed compared to a typical CGI shot that see less input by film makers.

Whenever something synthetic goes the other way around and use a camera language consistent with classical cinematography you lose a lot of the cheap
computer graphics looks even when it's very obviously rendered, 'Mass Effect' and 'The Last of Us' are good examples of this.

Restricting yourself to depict a digital world in a way it could've been filmed by a crew with dollys and jib's goes a long way to make it come across as reality.
Even tho we see it's a render as long as everything behaves like real world physics it won't feel like them polygons are as hollow as we all understand them to be
They read as something solid one could actually touch that exist inside of that virtual space.

Our own world no matter how real it looks would probably feel fake as all fuck if objects started clipping into one another or us opening the door of
a car on the parking lot too hard in a scripted event sent the vehicles next to us flying off without deforming in this chain reaction of physics jank
with the same sounding impact soundeffect playing over itself for every contact.
>>
>>974041
>>974095
I remember there was the final fight scene in black panther circling around the net some time ago regarding that topic. It was the prime example of this unnatural type of camera movement because the entire fight looked floaty as shit as a result.
https://youtu.be/m_i1rxuHLeo?si=7wup5tK_WdvW0saQ
>>
>>974104
Wow, yeah never seen this but it's right up there with the worst I've ever seen. It's reminiscent of the mass-less 'Sephiroth VS Cloud' scene in Advent Children
only it's so much worse because how the Mortal Kombat looking graphics and motion is juxtaposed with photo-realistic people in rubber costumes.

The absolute zero attention to detail by the filmmakers here is just impressive, that train that rush past them should be moving so much air it'd be hard to stay upright standing that close to the thing zipping past, but they're not even altering there stance a bit to brace themselves, they just stand there upright casually making an effort not to act.
Anyone can create and sell that effect for ~zero dollars with some acting pretending like there is this violent wind and have an offscreen fan blow some air so their hair move.
It takes effort not to have this idea enter into your head crafting such a scene and burning money on those effect shots.

Then to really drive home how much the train isn't there they start talking to one another as tho there isn't this thick wall between them but the sound propagation works just normally like they stood across a room from one another. It'd be difficult to make that train look more uncanny nonsensical and disconnected if you tried.

It's like watching your really untalented classmates make their first student film but with all the gloss of an actual high-budget production.
>>
>>974095
>It certainly was a trend as CGI became available and directors where able to film any scene from any angle.
Early CGI, I would classify as "beginner", not because they weren't skilled, but because it's that same attitude of not knowing what works and doesn't, and throwing shit to the wall and seeing what sticks. I don't mean it derogatorily, as they were absolutely pioneers, but I do see parallels in things beginners do in 3d these days and things people were doing back then.

As for the Matrix, if you're talking about the 360 kick shit, to play devil's advocate for that, those were actually shot on camera. Which is pretty common knowledge I'd say. Naturally, that doesn't eliminate copycats from doing it in 3d, but I'd say the people making the Matrix had a "good reason" thematically to do it. Seeing as they were aping kitschy Kung-Fu movies.

Black Panther on the other hand, I think looks worse because of the CGI (in that it's done cheaply). The camera I think is handheld using virtual production techniques, but some of the tracking is way too sticky to the subject. Like they put a "track-to" constraint on them.
I wouldn't call that the same as the original "trend" however. It looks bad, but the camera isn't orbiting around them and flying all over the place.
>>
>>974202
>As for the Matrix, if you're talking about the 360 kick shit

Yeah that and the 'Trinity dive' comes to mind, but I was more talking about Matrix acting as the infliction point for popularizing having the camera move
in these impossible ways while time dilate etc.

I where as blown away in theaters first time I saw that as most people. I view the original Matrix as a true hall-of-fame landmark kind of movie.
It's just that what it set in motion influenced how awful cinema visuals got in subsequent years.

By the sequel 'Reloaded' they felt they needed to 'next level' the style and prematurely went for full CGI humans with the infamous 'Neo vs multiple Smith's'
which got a pretty mixed reception with audiences even back then. Some where amazed, but some where taken aback by how silly and fake it looked.
At the time I remember thinking how it was like watching this very cool tech demo packaged and served up as pretty awful cinema.
>>
>>974224
>Some where amazed, but some where taken aback by how silly and fake it looked.
They forgot the fuckin green filter on em.
I think the whole scene looks goofy, but I can't help but love how over the top it was.
Obviously, this is just a cope theory from a lot of people, but I've seen arguments that it was "shitty on purpose" (it wasn't), since as the scene goes on the CG gets worse and worse as a kind of "woah the Matrix is breaking down and can't keep up!".

Kinda like the Crazy 88 fight in Kill Bill, where the visuals progressively "deteriorate", from full color, to black and white, then finally 2d silhouettes. The BW wasn't much more than a way to drop the rating a bit, but I still think that way of thinking in terms of a scene's progression is kinda neat. Whether it was on purpose or not.
The Matrix fight though, definitely just seems unintentional.
>>
File: 1699897456619453.webm (2.91 MB, 900x506)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB WEBM
>>972037
bad standing poses (koreans figured this shit out decades ago come on)
overexaggerated breathing/flexing idles that then get closeups during in-engine cutscenes and looks horrible
stiff rotations on the origin during in-engine cutscenes
>>
>>972037
Fully articulated dry-bones human skeletons littering the environment.

Developers probably intend for it to feel spooky like "somebody died sitting just like this" but every time it
reads like one of them fake skeletons held together by chicken-wire you had in the classroom at school.

It's like a bad gag from a student film, and every time I come across one which happens way too often in numerous games I play
I stand there contemplating if they actually believe that's how it works or if it's intended as a goof.
>>
>>974768
>animation trends
>post env storytelling "trend"
To be fair, I hate it too. What makes it worse is there's always a stupid log of some kind somewhere nearby that spells out the "story" the env artist was going for just in case the drooling retard playing the game can't figure it out for themselves.
And to be extra fair. It'd be kind of a pain in the ass to litter 200+ individual bones in a perfect way that's natural for decomposition and storytelling. Simpler just to make the skellyman a single posable object, whether or not it makes sense for all the bones to still be attached.
>>
>>974779
couldnt you just do a physics sim
>>
>>974780
I feel like the best course would be to make a 'dry husk' where the skin and tissues are still there
after all that is the kind of remains you'd expect to find somewhere indoors.
Looks way scarier than a dry skeleton and could still be posed for storytelling

Out doors you don't have to have an entire skeleton, just a skull and some pieces strewn about would be more realistic
as the rest should have been dragged away by scavengers. Unless you're exhuming a grave you're not very likely to ever come across complete skeletons.

>>974779
Well tangentially animation related since it's a posed rig so I thought it fit the spirit of the thread.
>>
File: nbNaEmK.gif (987 KB, 420x323)
987 KB
987 KB GIF
>>972776
>>972721
>>973242
is this that bad? I am planning to make games using this style. it seems to me like it's a bit less work than more interpolated animations, so easier for a generalist like me, and still looks cool.

It works for 2D, I don't understand why with 3D I see this complaints that it causes motion sickness
>>
File: proper3D2D.webm (2.63 MB, 960x720)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB WEBM
>>974790
>it's a bit less work than more interpolated animations
That's the trap literally everyone falls when they start doing this shit. Everyone thinks that "Oh it's my style so i'll just keep it stepped", without thinking about the fact that your animation, while being stepped, still has to be fluid AKA have great key poses, as many of them as possible and great timing, and by the pont you have so many good keys with perfect timing you have pretty much made a splined animation frame-by-frame. If you just put a few keys and step between them it will just look choppy and amateurish.
>It works for 2D
It works for 2D because your brain registers 2D as 2D. If 3D somehow manages to actually properly imitate 2D drawings (Imperfections, perspective deformation, no interpolation ANYWHERE, etc) it would work, but i've seen about 3 good examples of it total despite it being a fad for years and those all had to have extensive case-by-case fuckery outside of animation itself to make it look coherent and believeable like this webm (And guilty gear wasn't one of them, even though XRD came close before Strive went to shit with it). There's a 90% chance something will fuck up during gameplay, be it camera movement around the model or an animation of a character that will give the uncanny valley of a style impression and ruin the idea if you go for 2D look, and in non-stylized look it will just look as if you forgot to spline your shit.

Funnily enough, it doesn't translate to sprites. I have no fucking idea why, but rendering the sprites and using them like in your pic instead of stepping 3D models just registers in the brain as "It's a sprite so it has to be like that", so that might be a better option in your case.
>>
>>974795
Wow, 3d that uses 2d animation principles and "2d animator shortcuts" actually looks like convincing 2d. Who knew?
Almost like I've been repeating the same thing for years to an empty room.

Neato webm.
>>
File: 1710426955831683.gif (61 KB, 220x157)
61 KB
61 KB GIF
>>974795
>tfw you rewatch it for a 9000th time and start noticing the 3D
So close yet so far. It hurts.
>>
>>972039
Things that rotate
>>
>>972037
excessive camera tilt and shake during first person animations give you a massive headache
mirror's edge doesn't do this for a reason
but because that one guy got hired for mw2019 to do the gun animations everyone is now intent on copying him
>>
>>979151
I HATE shaky cam!
Why can't they film like Jacky Chan
>>
>>979151
>>979161

Massive turbulence is one of those examples when having shaky camera is warranted tho.

It's when they're doing this to hide how the actor can't scale a fence with grace and attempt to hide it from us
with ~6 jump cuts and a shaking camera that it becomes egregious.
>>
>>979165
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM
>>
>>974768
I saw some games use full-body skeletons as a sort of trick, if you don't see it while walking by, you won't realize it will come back to life and smack you.
A pile of incomplete bones doesn't do that usually, so it rewards observation with info on more or less how the encounter will go.
>>
File: proven.gif (1.6 MB, 576x323)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB GIF
>>979151
>>
>>979151
I came late to the party and bought RDR2 the other day when it was on sale. Switched to first person and riding a horse was one of the most nauseating things I've experienced. Switched back to third person after about 10 seconds. I know you can probably turn it off, but I don't like Rockstar's stuff in first person. Mainly because they have this really weird control system (not sure if it happens with kb+m) where when you turn you sort of "lock" further around. I don't know how to explain it but I fucking hate it. It's not smooth like every other game I've played in first person. Best way I can describe it is like
>You're facing N
>You want to turn NNE
>You slightly over shoot NNE and it locks you facing NE
It just feels jarring. Someone will know what I mean.

Getting back to that head bob thing, the whole reason people get car sick is because their body is stationary while the scenery is changing rapidly. Same sort of thing is true with the head bob. You're sitting stationary but your vision is all over the fucking place. I don't know why anyone would think this is a good idea.
>>
>>974795
wtf is this black magic sorcery
>>
File: file.jpg (55 KB, 1241x656)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>979290
it's not perfect but it's the best 2D imitation i have seen yet. Once you watch it enough times, like >>978226 says, you start noticing the parts that are 3D anyway, like consistent line quality on pose movements or the background, but the camerawork and usage of 3D as more of a, in a way, drawing medium for each frame rather than a complete animation tool still hold up to sell the illusion long enough to make it god-tier.
https://x.com/giwono0708/status/1637231593432707073?s=20
>>
>>972356
this
>>
>>978226
The fact you have to watch it that many times to pick it up means that the illusion works.
>>
>>972037
GOD I HATE THAT SHIT SO MUCH

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.