[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: EmVSW5AW8AAoDD9.jpg (1.2 MB, 2560x2560)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
the eternal debate...

spoiler: only Z-Up is based. Z-Up came first in history, so it must be right. CAD enginners and cartographers used 3D graphics long before any of you animators dicking around in Maya.
>>
File: rotation_order.jpg (7 KB, 290x129)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Blender is always ahead of the game because it uses Z-up but by default it gives you the axis rotation order that would be correct for Y-up.
>>
>>967244
You mean it’s blender fault for this mess and programmers for the software industry thought it was normal axes.

Mathematics Y is up is the only real answer not the only way.
>>
>>967247
No.
>>
>>967247
>Mathematics Y is up
in 2D. This is 3D where XY is the ground plane.
>>
>>967247
This >>967255. The people who made the original 3D software used mathematical 3D convention, that is how we arrived at Z-up. Since this was already convention anything that came after and did it different is what got us into this mess. It's so ridiculous we haven't standardized it yet since having a unified standard, whatever we settle on, would simplify things so much.
>>
don't know, don't care, simple as.
>>
Y up is weird as fuck.
Z up is the way.
>>
>>967292
>Hello there basic user who never venture outside your own package or interface with game engines.
>>
lmaoo imagine calling Z-Depth as Y-Depth.

you know what...im gonna start calling it that, just to fuck with people
>>
>>967297
Z-depth is still Z-depth silly anon. worldspace and screenspace are two different things.
>>
File: dononcet2.png (281 KB, 768x768)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
>>967253
>>967255
>>967292
>>967293
>>967297
Y is up as told by math, not some loser who made a 3D open source software build it out of lies and is always asking donations after collecting over 10 million in corp profits.
>>
>>967299
Im sculpting big titty waifus who's giant breasts droop down on the z axs I don't care about your maths nerd
>>
File: img-2023-12-16-03-55-11.png (170 KB, 1920x978)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
>>967299
this is literally Math3D.
first result on Google.
>>
>>967299
Matlab also defaults to Z-Up.
cant get any more authoritative than that.
>>
File: img-2023-12-16-04-04-16.png (209 KB, 1903x978)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>>967302
>>
>>967299
>These fuckers think Descartes had a monitor and didn't draw his Y axis onto flat paper on a table.
>>
>>967304
cavemen drew beastiality smut on walls. checkmate, atheists
>>
>>967305
Earliest known cave painting is 'Cave of El Castillo' in Spain, it features animals, handprints, abstract symbols, and some geometric shapes. They're 40000 years old.
9/10 professors in anthropology agree they're all done in Z-up.
>>
Z is literally named the 'depth' axis. How many of you Y-up Philistines swim northward when you're attempting to dive?
>>
>mfw OpenGL is y-up
It makes sense for rendering given screen space but it's still nonsensical for world space systems.
>>
whay cant these math autist just use Width, Length, Height? just call it WLH
>>
>>967328
Think about it like 12 whole seconds anon and it'll prob dawn on you why it is that would be a terrible idea.
>>
math faggots are reddit fart sniffers who can't get enough of their own stench
y up is only for screen space

http://shystudios.us/blog/source_xyz/source_engine_coordinate.html
>>
>>967914
Screen Space its the same as fucking World Space. Thats why you convert UV textures to XYZ world coordinates. You fucking illiterate faggot
>>
>>967915
>Screen Space its the same as fucking World Space.

I request a silent minute for this anons self-doubt in stating such retarded things with such great confidence.
>>
>>967917
Anon, in 3D graphics you have multiple transform spaces.

object space, view space, world space, uv space to name a few common ones.

to translate between these spaces your 3D sofwtare do matrix multiplication by various 4x4 matrices.
To have your UV coordinates show up correctly on your mesh you will do a multiplication by the relevant matrix in your software.

Then to have your UV mapped object appear oriented in worldspace amongst other objects you do another matrix multiplication such that it sits in world in the right orientation.
To then appear in screenspace (view) as if you where watching it from a certain vantage you multiply this worldspace by another matrix that is commonly called the 'World-View-Projection' 'WVP' matrix.'World Matrix' multiplied by your 'View Matrix' by your 'Projection Matrix'.

One can think of these transform matrices as mathematical operations that moves all vectors on an object from one set of dimensions into another set of dimensions
while preserving their relative relationship to one another. We commonly use a few very specific ones that are useful for the purposes of 3D graphics but it's really arbitrary vector math.
Like you can multiply the object space of an object by some matrix to have it appear in your screenspace as if not sitting in 3-space but in some wacky hyperbolic geometry etc.

There are a lot of things going on underneath the hood of your 3D program that you're obviously oblivious to and here you are pretending to know things while calling people names.
>>
>>967918
this has to be chatgpt no living man is this stupid
>>
>>967920
Where did that post go wrong? It all checks out.
>>
AI will replace any use for you as a modeling artist.

whether it be game related or animation. the industry is in decline of hiring on new users. it's really only good for self publishing at this point or just as a hobby. why would I spend thousands on 3D Studio Max or Maya or even bother with Blender when it lacks plugins for film special effects that 3DS has.

I gave up on 3D modeling a decade ago but need to stop using internet on my free time and felt like making a new years resolution to doing more creative shit and less chatty chat as I am doing now

K You're all getting on my nerves now.
>>
y'all are niggers
there is a reason all cad/archvis-centric software is Z up, as building plans are top down, it was convenient to match the "ground plane" with X and Y on the 2d drawn building plan.
entertainment-centric software is the same, except the bulk of blueprints/concepts are usually front/side views, hence Y up
cue a bunch of different software growing up doing the same thing slightly differently and there you have this clusterfuck.

it's not that deep
>>
The sheer amount of shitposting, retardation and wisdom itt is the reason I cant leave this place. Never change 4chins, nevwr change.
>>
>>967933
>I gave up on 3D modeling a decade ago
>AI will replace any use for you as a modeling artist.
BWAHAhahhaha
>>
>>967238
Z-Up makes sense to me the most.
>>
>have environment in 3d space
>make grid to navigate, say for a game
>you must use EITHER
>xy
>OR
>x...z...
yeah, I'm thinking zup.
>>
>>967238
YUP/LH:
Unity
>Giga cringe
Lightwave
>Cringe
ZBrush
>Cringe
Cinema 4D
>Cringe

YUP/RH:
Maya
>Giga cringe
Substance
>Cringe
Modo
>Cringe
Houdini
>Based
Godot
>Based
Minecraft
>Cringe
(literally what)
>Cringe

ZUP/LH:
Unreal
>lol...lmao

ZUP/RH:
3ds max
>Based
blender
>Based (controversial)
SketchUp
>Cringe
Source
>Based
AutoCAD
>Giga based

ZUP/RH wins based on basedness count.
>>
>>967238
Unreal will automatically fix whatever retardation you did while modeling and convert it to Z up and -Y forward regardless of what you exported.
>>
Are rotations clockwise or counterclockwise?
>>
deg v rad
>>
Are 'units' meters or feet
>>
>>968471
hammer units
>>
>>968471
shaku
>>
>>967238
z-buffer is used for calculate depth, that's why
>>
>>968471
>Are 'units' meters or feet
cubits, of course.
>>
>>967238
3dsmax has this retardation where Z is up, but if you go to an orthographic side view, Y is now up, i hate that this software is industry standard so much it's unreal
>>
>>971024
that sounds incredibly retarded
>>
>>971024
you're probably on view/screen axis mode. change it to world mode.
>>
>>971024
imagine getting this filtered by simply having coordinates set to view instead of world
>>
>>967238
i mod in source 1, goldsrc, and quake and i model in povray and bryce where do i fit in on this chart
>>
>>967238
I have no idea why this isn't user-configurable in all of them, maybe aside of Minecraft. All it takes for conversion is one matrix multiplication, and to top it off the 3x3 matrix required is always exactly one unit value (either +1 or -1) and two zeroes on each column and each row. If you can't manage to code that in within 10 minutes, what the fuck are you doing in 3D programming?
>>
>>972527
When you change the definition of the "up" axis you also have to change the all the Euler angles rotation orders. And there's more than that.
Geometry is not as simple as you think, Cris.
>>
>>967244
>>967247
>>967253
>>967255
>>967270
>>967293
>>967296
>>967297
>>967298
>>967299
>>967301
>>967302
>>967303
>>967304
>>967308
>>967321
>>967914
>>967915
>>967917
>>967918
>>967920
>>967934
>>968252
HOLY SHIT WHO THE FUCK CARES FAGS
JUST PICK ONE OF THEM AND STOP USING THE OTHER ONES! YOU ARE THE PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!
>>
>>972597
If you use Euler angles at all in your code, you should re-educate yourself about things like "gimbal lock", "complex numbers" and "quaternions" before you are allowed to touch any 3D code again.

Also "projective plane" while you're at it.

For displaying the rotation as Euler angles, there's no reason to not make the display configurable in terms of order of rotations and orientation of the positive rotation is concerned.
>>
>>967244
The funny thing about blender, is that Z up is the default for just about everything, until you go into the nodes interface. If you want to align a node vertically, you have to press Y instead of Z.
>>
>>967238
Wonder when we'll have an EU moment where all of these clowns are forced to use ONE UNIVERSAL NAVIGATION/ORIENTATION CONFIGURATION
>>
>>967299
Math is for faggots anyway, just ask Turing
>>
>>972666
If you get a degree in mechanic you do.
Fucking moron.
>>
>>972767
Cad softwares shares the same work coordinates as machine tools for obvious reasons. Hey Gaben!
See Autocade.
>>
>>972705
That's because you're already looking down at the nodes like they were flat on a table. Not like they were on a chalkboard.
>>
>>967238
its funny that OP's pic is from a literal troon.
yet it still causes so much seething. it is almost as if they still live in your head rent free, although not implied directly.
>>
>>975970
Nobody is seething because the picture or whatever a 'troon' is, they're seething because we're half a century into 3D graphics and axis conventions are still all over the place.
>>
>>975970
>they still live in your head rent free
Judging by the fact that absolutely no one in the thread brought troons up except for you, I'd say that not only are they living rent free in your head, they've settled down and had several generations that consider your head their "family home".
>>
>>973509
But I'm looking at nodes on my monitor, not my desk top.
>>
>>975970
Nigger go back
>>
File: file.gif (8 KB, 297x209)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
>>977966
>>967238
>>967244

>>967255
>This is 3D where XY is the ground plane.
>>967299
>Y is up as told by math,

Daily reminder that Z is up because this is how planes navigate.
>>
>>972666
Satan is correct.
>>973339
Fucking NERD, stop overthinking the simplest shit and get to work.
>>
File: 1699748354294664.jpg (37 KB, 400x300)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>968471
>what unit are the units?
>"nah bro its unitless"
>default gravity is 9.82

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.