[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Jushin Thunder Liger.jpg (185 KB, 800x1200)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
What is the lore on this legend? I've only seen a handful of his matches. One against Rey Mysterio JR in WCW (that is on a Rey Mysterio dvd) and one of his last matches on an NXT appearance a while back.

The lack of reaction he got hurt.
>>
>>12956854
Aside from ROH & ECW back then all western promotions had awful braindead fans. He's basically Undertaker except with the wrestling ability of a Bret Hart since he was trained in the dungeon
>>
>>12956854
Dude is one of the GOATs of wrestling. Wrestled all over in several different companies. Technical wrestler but could do the high flying stuff too. He could do it all. It's the amazing thing is his gimmick was tied to a cartoon but he was able to maintain relevancy past that kinda like the Undertaker having a goofy gimmick.
>>
Just watch his super J cup matches from the mid-90s

Based theme song, too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKeT4KeGtps
>>
>>12956884
>>12956886

I remember being a kid when I got the Rey Mysterio DVD because he was my favorite wrestler at the time and I remember seeing that match and I just loved his outfit. Still do.
>>
>>12956889
I assume the Super J Cup is in japan? I watched a Dynamite Kid vs Tiger Mask once. Couldn't understand the announcers at all but boy did they seem into it.
>>
>>12956854
One of the GOAT's of Japanese wrestling, and one of the key architects of the modern high flying style. Without him, guys like Rey Mysterio would be forever trapped in Mexico, ECW would have looked much different and Wrestling probably wouldn't have evolved much beyond Hulk Hogan steroid monsters squashing each other
>>
>>12956929

That also had a backfire effect on modern wrestling. When Liger, Sasuke, etc.. did it, it was fresh and exciting. Now there's guys pulling off 450s and shooting star presses with no rhyme or reason when they used to be killer "ultimate" finishers.
>>
>>12957017
The DDT also used to be a killer ultimate move.
>>
>>12956854
The guy has a fucking brain tumor and has surgery in 96 which leads him to adapted to changed his style
>>
>>12957017
A running knee lift used to be a killer move.
The Lou Thez Press was a killer move.
>>
>>12957053
He had a brain tumor? So he hit it with a power bomb and pinned it for a 3 count and then went on to wrestle for two decades?
Based
>>
>>12957017
The moves are fine, but where modern wrestling fails and people like Jushin were so good at is building a story within a match and making the moves meaningful, rather than spamming finishers for the sake of it.
>>
He and Tom Billington aka Dynamite Kid laid the groundwork for modern high flying wrestling. Had the unique energetic style that incorperated Mexican lucha libre and Japanese highflying with power moves. Gimmick was based off a sentai kids series, which made him a hit with kids as well as wrestling fans, similar to mexican stars with their mask gimmicks.

side note: in the late 80s and 90s he was popularized on George Michaels Sports Machine, a late night weekly sports show that predated ESPN for highlighted sports. He was one of hosts George Michaels favorite wrestlers to highlight, along with the Legion of Doom and Flair
>>
>>12957244
I'm a big fan of mask gimmicks. Face paint too.
>>
File: CTU Liger.webm (2.88 MB, 900x672)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB WEBM
2000's Liger is never talked about because of Inoki-ism (and also not being on NJPW World), but his heel unit CTU was so fucking based
>>
>>12957280
Inoki-ism?
>>
>>12957244
Who actually did high-flying style first,lucha and puro?
>>
>>12957383
here's an abridged version of Inoki-ism:

>MMA is gaining popularity by the late 90's
>Inoki thinks that bringing MMA fighters to New Japan would be good for business
>Inoki also thought New Japan stars fighting in MMA would be a good business
>New Japan guys like Yuji Nagata get BTFO by Top MMA Fighters
>Inoki awards the IWGP Heavyweight title to MMA fighters(also strips them if they lose their MMA fight)
>New Japan is in Dark Times for a few years until Tanahashi saves the company in 2008

missed a few key parts that led to New Japans Downfall, best to google Inoki-ism and go down the rabbit hole!
>>
>>12957487
What was that man thinking
>>
>>12957535
The Japanese Jeff Jarret
>>
>>12957805
Oof.
>>
>>12956884
>awful braindead fans.
>He's basically Undertaker

I've never seen a post describe itself so well

>>12957017
A fucking Irish Whip used to be a match-killer finish

>>12957423
They may have both developed their own styles independently around the same time
>>
>>12957423
Wrestling in Mexico has it's roots in the late 1800's, when French traders performed Greco-Roman style exhibitions for entertaining passer-bys at the ports.

El Santo of the 1940's was the first masked Mexican Wrestler, starting the popular look of the Lucha Libre style

Mil Mascaras was widely considered to be the first to introduce the high flying style of Lucha Libre to Mexico, using techiques he learned in Japan in the late 60's/early 70's
>>
>>12958989
Oh shit that's right, someone post that black-and-white footage of French guys doing the flippy shit
>>
>>12956854
Think lot of it is dirtsheet over hype
>>
>one of his last matches on an NXT appearance

He wrestled for like 5 years after that

>>12959788
based retard
>>
>>12956854
Luger never drew a dime
>>
>>12958891
The original Irish whip was more of a judo throw. It has so little resemblance to what we call the Irish whip today that I don't understand how it ended up being called that.
>>
>>12956884
Bret didnt have the ability or longevity of Liger
>>
GOAT contender
>>
>>12961637
Or the raw sex appeal.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.