[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Monk_Artwork_XIV.jpg (151 KB, 821x1004)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
I used to do martial arts for like 6ish years in highschool but had to stop. But I kind of miss it and want to try it again but can't really go to a dojo due to lack of money and driving ability.

What are some good martial arts that I could learn from home relatively inexpensively. I don't really want to learn to fight and mostly just want to learn katas and actually exercise again
>>
>>194982
Start where you left off. Do you remember any of the forms/drills/exercises you did before? Do those.
Research your old martial art. Learn its history. Learn which forms it practices. Learn how it's connected to other arts, and explore those commonalities.
Also yeah get to a real class at the earliest possible opportunity. You won't be stuck with no money and no car forever, so set goals and make plans for when you've got more options.
>>
Karate wins again

https://youtu.be/hst6LmqGwKc?si=n5Iq1nU-IwpSY3Ac
>>
>>195007
that's a good idea I remember most of the techniques and I still have the PDFs with the form instructions. Unfortunately my martial arts dojo doesn't really have much history or anything and mostly focused on self defense and point sparring and blended a variety of styles. Lots of jiu jitsu, joint locks, fall training that kind of thing in addition to some normal karate stuff like the punches and kicks and some cool flashy moves like spin kicks for the few forms we did.
>>
>i don't own a car so I don't get to do anything
Lovely country we've made
>>
>>194982
Fighting is, necessarily, a group activity. Because of this you really can’t learn to fight on your own. There are exercises you can do that may, to some degree, improve your ability to fight, but ultimately if you really want to learn you will need to do so with another person.
>>
File: 1508789565568.jpg (39 KB, 500x348)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>194982
I'll level with you, you'll get more value out of learning to punch a bag fast and hard than you will trying to do any martial arts by yourself; because at the end of the day there isn't some "magic wushu anchient arto" that is going to save you from getting your face caved in with a knockout punch before you can react, or the same delivered to the gut instead, or to the balls instead. Until you've got somebody to grapple around, it stays theoretical and impractical, until you can iron out the issues and see how it actually feels to use. Simple shit works; finish your reps, throw in a Farmer's Walk, punch a bag for a few minutes, call it a day.
Learning to fall correctly a la Judo is probably the only thing you can do by yourself if you really want to learn something alone, and even then you can pick it up in under an afternoon (break the fall with your forearms, then maybe use some force if you can rely on the surface not shattering your bones, then break the fall with anything that isn't your head, done repeat until muscle memory).

>kata
Complete fucking meme, don't waste your time with borderline ballroom dancing bullshit. Fights aren't autisticly structured like that.
>>
>>195009
based
>>
>>195046
Basically. I can't even learn to drive because I can't even get to the driving school and my parents are to busy.

>>195057
>>195108
Literally wrote In OP that it's not about learning to fight. I just want to learn cool moves and get exercise doing it because the only thing that can motivate me to exercise is the power of weeb.

And like I'd lose any fight I got into realistically because I'm a girl and weaker than most other girls so I'm better off just having pepper spray and then kicking someone in the nutz.
>>
exercise kickboxing and a low impact movement like yoga or tai chi, this will give you speed and endurance exercise and balance and stretching that will add you into old age. if you do tai chi dont tell people they will think you are a wuxia nerd that will try and chakra blast people in a fight
>>
>>195009
Wow, he can do some single leg squats, so strong, shocking
>>
>>195129
>cool moves
Look up tricking. Tricking is the catchall term for the fancy jumping/spinning kicks and flips and shit. It's closely associated with tae kwon do, but if you search for tricking specifically you can probably skip over a lot of traditional TKD curriculum. I don't know XMA (x-treme martial arts) is still a thing, but back in the 90s/00s it was also at the forefront of tricking.
It should go without saying that this has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with fighting, or even with historical/cultural martial arts.

BTW, just in case, if you were born XY you'll always be a guy.
>>
File: haku.jpg (43 KB, 440x622)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>195137
taichi sounds fun i heard it's what they based the animation for water bending on do you recommend any particular online course?

>>195156
living in your head rent free dude. And honestly don't really care I got good results from transition it doesn't matter what I really am.
>>
>>195177
nope sorry i dont particularly do it i just know that it is suggested along side thnigs like yoga for low impact long term health, best bet would be to start by looking for the largest youtube videos that are beginner and do different videos till you feel pretty good and then look to buy books/online courses for advanced and more technical stuff. if possible just pirate things
>>
Muay Thai or Kickboxing basics or learn traditional martial arts like Karate or Kung Fu is fun as fuck to do at home. You can even have fun and do full weeb shit like this guy:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxenkaB7HWQ&t=195s
Then do katas/taolu. I think the best thing to do is you will still go to a gym/dojo and learn the basics of a system then just do that at home.
>>
Some karate styles made documentaries showcasing their style's basics, warm-ups, stretching exercises, katas, supplementary exercises, power training, and history. The problem with learning these things online is that they can be dangerous. Get strong for a week then get crippled because of improper practice fucked up your ligaments or your heart or something. Specially that Sanchin kata where you tension your whole body while breathing in a specific way and in a rhythm matching your movements.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmCpD6FA7I&t=176s
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RmCzJ0m1Xs&t=372s
There's probably better stuff out there that can teach you in how to do it safely. Better learn the basics first before solo practicing at home for exercise and fun.
>>
>>195183
you forgot the most important of them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=rsetqy58V0s
>>
>>194982

Tai chi is really good to prepare for shaolin. If you're not yoga flexible then it's not gonna be for you. Tai chi is a basic movement art that can spread into she shaolin fighting styles, and it's one of the styles itself.

Really can't learn any shaolin without a teacher to know what you're doing and put it all together. Their forms are a guide, though it looks kinda dumb to most.

Can't really learn wing chun either, all the wing chun sites on the internet aren't really scams, they're more or less for people that have taken them and do it time to time, or moved or something and there isn't a teacher around.

I could suggest tae kwon do, very good to get kicks down, or maybe the traditional muay tai?

Lots of running and strong legs will give you a slight advantage also.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.