[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Austin Rock.jpg (8 KB, 293x195)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
But at the same time I also want to know how to throw a punch without looking like a retard. Am I going to have to sign up and pay for 2 different classes?
>>
>>194855
Boxing 1 year
>I want to compete in bjj!
No you don't. Do you want other guys athletes ridden feet around you? Do you want to get your arm cranked out of its socket whilst fighting for underhooks (legal)
do you want to have long lasting neck/spine injury because someone decided to put pressure on it

Pointless
>>
>>194856
you can make a list of likely long-term injuries for literally any athletic activity ever.
>you're thinking of running? Enjoy your ruined knees in 5 years
>skiing? knees + I'll be lmaoing when you crack your femur in half on a pine tree
>baseball? blown out shoulder + you guessed it: knees.
>>
>>194883
Bjj has catastrophic injuries. Spinal injuries are the worst
>>
>>194883
I'm inclined to agree with this fag>>194910

it's one thing to have an injury from another sport because of an accident but in bjj the goal of the sport is to cause an injury to the other person
the win state is pulling someones arm so hard they can't take it anymore or it breaks, which ever comes first
>>
>>194914
Also stuff like standing arm cranks are legal. It's a very dangerous sport and you don't know how "honourable" your opponent will be. They can crank the shit out of anything. You just have to hope you don't anger someone over some arbitrary reason or a beginner doesn't try to do something they saw on YouTube and fuck you up for ever
>>
>>194855

Apparently all the faggots in this thread don't train, have shitty partners, or are too full of themselves to tap. I've trained grappling for 8 years, BJJ for 4, and never had a serious injury.

Just fuckin tap before your arm dislocates, retard.
>>
>>194923
You're experiencing what's called survivors bias
"I smoked for 30 years and never got cancer"

It's not your fault, just be aware of it
>>
>>194923
Now Google bjj can opener/ crank neck pain
>>
>>194924
You too can experience this survivors bias. All you have to do is tap before it hurts. The vast majority of injuries I've seen are because of ego, the rest are probably due to bad training partners. Both can be avoided.

>>194938
If you've got a training partner that's doing the can opener to open your guard, that guy is a fuckin dick.
>>
>>194855
You need an MMA gym if you want 1 membership. They will have separate striking and grappling classes.
>>194856
>>194910
>>194914
>>194922
>>194924
>>194938
Skill issue
>>
>>194953
that's not true. most injuries are the result of wear and tear adding up over time and can't be avoided
>spend 2 hours working on closed guard retention
>the next night someone does a toe hold and barely even touches it
>there's already stress fatigue in the ankle from the night before
>BLAMMO
>>
>>194961
I'm replying to those in this thread that claim submission grappling is more dangerous and causes catastrophic injuries because the goal is to hurt the other person. Any high impact sport will wear down joints over time and I'd even argue that running is far worse for this than grappling. Catastrophic injuries can be easily avoided in BJJ if you have good training partners and don't let your ego prevent you from tapping early enough. Also, not attempting to hold onto dumb positions like closed guard at the risk of fucking up your ankles.
>>
>>194965
Disagree

With resisting bodies in motion there is always the element of chaos that cannot be accounted for
>>
>>194965
>good training partners
>good training partners
>good training partners
The key difference between this and, say, running is that in running you control every variable that could cause you injury:
>intensity, frequency, route, equipment, etc
Whereas, in combat sports you have fuck-all control over your partners, and you have no real idea who is and isn't a good training partner until you roll with them. And by then it might be too late.
You have severe Survivor's Bias, anon.
>>
>>194983
>middle aged 3rd degree black belt in class
>surely this guy is a safe and responsible training partner
>makes a comment about how his body is really beat up so he doesn't move around too much anymore
>starting position he lays down on his side in a lazy half guard
>ok this will be a nice slow but technical roll
>grabs a kimura and rips it up my back so hard I literally do a front flip to try and get away from the pain
and now my shoulder is ruined
There's your "good training partner" bro

oh that's not all
>bald middle aged fat white belt comes in for his first class
>me being a lowly blue belt at the time
>want to help the new guy out
>was my partner during class and I let him get some extra turns repping since it's his first day and I knew the move already so I could help him get it right
>time to roll starts
>ok don't worry about this part, we aren't really fighting so lets just get some grips and move around so you can get used to it
>grabs me and flips me through the air and slams me on my neck
>btw I'm a black belt in judo lolol
he played dumb the entire time, never even hinted at that, he presented himself as a complete beginner
add that one to another list of good training partners. I guess my ego as a blue belt was too high for trying to help a fat middle aged beginner have a good experience
>>
>>194983
>>194989
Skill issue
>>
>>194994
you're the guy from the other thread that was posting cope and seethe right? as well as being the same guy that wouldn't post his belt with a timestamp?
>>
>>194989
Not who you're replying to but those sound like some shitty training partners, anon.

>>194965
Any legit martial art is gonna have more injuries than other stuff. It's supposed to simulate fighting, after all. Maybe contact sports like football but I know a bunch of people with pretty serious injuries from MMA and BJJ.
>>
>>195002
That's the point
Get good training partners is not a real argument. It doesn't matter where you go. It doesn't matter what you do, eventually some asshole will hurt you and it will happen completely by surprise
The only way to ensure that doesn't happen is to stop playing the game
>>
>>194983
But I do know who is and isn't a good training partner because I've been rolling with these guys for years at this point. Spoiler alert, the bad ones either become good ones or they fuck off. And new guys aren't that hard to suss out: I can see how big they are, I've got a decent feel for how strong they are, and I can tell right away if they've got a shitty attitude or not.

You'll get better at protecting yourself the more you train. You'll become more familiar with what you can and can't do, and get better at recognizing and staying out of danger with practice and experience.

What a weird fuckin thread. If you're so terribly risk averse that you just can't possibly tolerate the idea of getting hurt, fine, don't train. But you will not learn how to grapple or fight without some degree of risk. What kind of trolling is this?
>>
>>195008
Everything has risk, that's why I stay inside and never see the sun. I will, however, comment online about every martial art that I've never trained to talk about how effective and dangerous each one is.
>>
>>195008
Until the day comes where a blue belt tired of falling victim to that pass you always use "saw this on YouTube" and tried to stop it by doing the maneuver live which he completely botches and knees your dome causing a compression injury that herniates a disk in your neck
And after the 6-8 weeks of medication and exercises to manage your pain to a reasonable level you're now playing a balancing act of wanting to participate and getting some work in weighed against someone gently touching your neck and exploding into pieces, taking you off the mat for another half a week. And this will be your training experience for somewhere between a few months to the rest of your life
>>
>>195045
How do you train?
>>
>>195045
You sound extremely bitter, anon.
>>
>>195047
Im done with bjj and only care about submission grappling strictly in the context of fighting so if there was an option for me to never put a gi on again that would be my first course of action.
aside from being completely retarded and silly, it also increases injury risk significantly

Mainly my method is to ignore everything the instructor says unless I'm interested in it
Any time there's an odd number I join the 3 man so I can avoid repping the bullshit
Or I'll go with the newest guy I can find and just let him do his noobie reps the whole time.
When rolling time starts let's say its 5 or 6 rolls, I'll do 1 or 2 real ones where I actually try and the rest will be sub 60% effort practicing a position I want to work on and just not engaging with any other aspect of the roll, if the position changes I'll retreat back into it asap
Also will probably take 1 or 2 rounds off if I feel like it
>>
>>195045
>he completely botches and knees your dome
What exactly happened?
>>
>>195056
Tried to reguard by explosively swinging his leg around, I assume as a futile inversion attempt but just smashed down on top of my head. Sent a stinger down both arms and one leg, took me off the mat right on the spot
>>
>>195054
But what if you get kneed in the head while you're really trying? What if a white belt takes advantage of you going sub-60% to try "some cool shit from youtube" and herniates your disks? What if the noob you're drilling with has no coordination and hurts you? Oh dear.
>>
>>195061
sounds like getting hurt is inevitable which is exactly the opposite of the argument that was being made>>194965
>>
>>195063
First of all, I'm not that guy.

Secondly, that guy is saying that grappling isn't a more inherently risky activity *because* it's a combative sport. Yes submissions, brought to completion, can result in damage, but if you're not a retard who refuses to tap, and you dont train with amoral psychopaths, you most likely won't get hurt by a submission.

He's not addressing the issue of accidental collision, because accidental collision is by no means unique to grappling. You can be having a nice chill ski down a beginner slope, and some retard noob can blindside you and break your back. Ditto for mountain biking. Ditto for soccer, ffs. Your personal risk aversion does not constitute a valid reason for another to avoid an activity.

Thirdly, I know you're just trolling so it's really too much to ask, but can you simply state your premise?
You're telling OP not to train because it's too risky.
Others are proposing ways to manage or mitigate or at least cope with risk.
You then respond with the fatalistic screed that the risk simply can't be mitigated.
You offer no solutions. You create nothing. You aren't giving OP or anyone in this thread any useful information. Tell me plainly, how does one attain skill in grappling?
>>
>>195065
if you want to attain skill in grappling then you accept all the risks that come with it
and for most people the juice is not worth the squeeze. The long term lasting damage you'll do to your body is going to outweigh whatever satisfaction you get from being a middling at best hobbyist in a sport.
if someone wants to make the retarded choice to do jiujitsu they should understand the risks, not just buy into the marketing of the people making a living off of it
it's patently untrue to say jiujitsu isn't more dangerous than other sports. On the continuum of how dangerous a sport is to your health jiujitsu is on the extreme end, only outshined by sports in which you're being tackled or punched in the head

it's a fact someone that needs to stop at white or blue belt because of a catastrophic injury that alters their life is more common than someone to make it to black belt and not have that happen
an expert grappler without chronic pain or surgeries is such a unicorn that I'm struggling to actually think of any I know
I'm actually laughing to myself as I reflect on it realizing it's even worse than I thought as I go through he list of all the PRP and stem cell injections, meniscus dissections, knee and hip replacements, ACL reattachments, labrum repairs, mufuggin back surgery, arthritis
it's bad news
>>
>>195071
Are making money off of jiujitsu?
>>
>>195072
Everyone that promotes jiujitsu has a vested interest in getting more participants involved

In the future I will open a gym because I don't have really any other monetizable skills and when that day comes I too will lie about the safety and efficacy of jiujitsu
>>
>>195059
Fuck, dude, I'm so sorry that happened to you.
>>
File: file.png (92 KB, 940x915)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>>194855
>I want to do BJJ so I can compete and not get brain damage
enjoy your spine damage
>>
>>195063
I am that guy and I kinda bailed on this thread for a bit because it sure seems like I'm wrong. Maybe I've just been lucky and come up in a good gym, but I've had no major injuries in years of grappling and competing and my current gym has had no major injuries as long as I've been here. We're not a mcdojo, either. We have a strong comp team and a few amateur MMA guys.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that any activity is going to have risk and while grappling may have more risk than running, you can mitigate that risk by how you train and who you train with. The spazzes in our gym are quickly taught how to not spaz or asked to leave if they are being dangerous. The higher level comp guys only roll with other comp guys or know to chill the fuck out when they're rolling with someone new or a hobbyist. I fully trust everyone I roll with to have my best interests in mind and even in the harder rolls I don't feel in danger. I've caught knees and elbows by accident and done the same to others but, thankfully, nothing serious besides some bruises.
It definitely sucks that you got cracked by someone's knee and I'm sorry you got hurt that way but it does seem like you've got some shit training partners. I've dropped into gyms where I felt like everyone was trying to just "win" and didn't care about their partners and I didn't like it, so I'm sorry this is your experience.
I'm definitely biased by my positive experiences with grappling and it seems you're biased by your negative ones. I still think grappling is the lowest impact legit martial art that most anyone can get into if they train smart. I've had way more minor injuries and headaches from training striking than BJJ but that's only my experience.

Anyway, hope you get better and sorry you got clocked like that, bro.
>>
>>195084
Look at this guy being uncharacteristically gentlemanly around here
He just might make it
>>
>>195097
Sorry, forgot we're on 4chan.

Fuck you faggot, git gud.
>>
>>195071
>PRP and stem cell injections, meniscus dissections, knee and hip replacements, ACL reattachments, labrum repairs, mufuggin back surgery, arthritis
Dude if you had all of these you are either extremely unlucky or trained poorly (overtrained, spazzed, ignored injuries). Injuries are a known risk but I know pretty serious black belts with only a knee or shoulder issue (that could be mitigated without surgery)
I also know people who have torn knee ligaments because they stepped off a large curb incorrectly.
>>
Bjj has many positions where your spine is a second away from having 200lbs of idiot smashed into it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.