[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/xs/ - Extreme Sports

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Looking to start Judo pretty soon, but I have a major concern - not worried about bodily injuries as I know that sort of thing is expected in full contact martial arts. But how common are head/brain injuries, even if they are light? I’m talking concussions or any significant bumps to the head.
Anyone have any experience of this, or know how common head injuries are in Judo?
t. Physicist, need my brain for work
>>
>>193647
>https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/47/18/1139
According to data collected in 2008 from 1,443 judo athletes, 35.8% had a medical history of concussion, indicating a concern for head injuries in the sport. A systematic review aimed to address the lack of comprehensive data on judo injuries, analyzing studies up to June 2013. This review included both prospective and retrospective studies, and while it found variations in injury rates due to factors like skill level and age, it highlighted the need for standardized definitions and methodologies in injury reporting. The most frequent injuries were sprains, strains, and contusions, affecting mostly the body extremities like the knee, shoulder, and hand/fingers.
>https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/6/1/e000791
IPPON intervention was developed as a judo-specific injury prevention program, focusing on exercises that aim to prevent shoulder, knee, or ankle injuries. The program includes a variety of exercises categorized under flexibility and agility, balance and coordination, and strength and stability. The intervention was tested in a pilot study and planned for evaluation in a randomized controlled trial (RCT) to assess its effectiveness in reducing injuries.
>TL;DR: Bout 3/10 people get concussions but there are things you can do to prevent it.
>Protip
>Way more common in striking arts
If thats an intolerable risk, BJJ is probabaly the way to go. Almost no brain injuries. Might lose limb function or in the absolute worst case scenario, be paralyzed.
>>
A bloo bloo muh brain
>>
>>193650
I didn't dig into the links, but I'm assuming a fair amount of those are Olympians or hopefuls. If so, their overall mat time is going to be pretty significant in those rates.
>>
>>193657
Based retard
>>
>>193647
Short answer, stop being a bitch.

>but I'm a physicist
Then you should be smart enough to figure out risk/reward. Brain injuries are serious and martial arts were definitely too laissez-faire about them in the past, but I'd argue the pendulum is swinging too far in the other direction. The guys with CTE are pro fighters who'd knock each other out like grugs in training every single practice, not the guys who trains 2 times a week and are terrified of love taps.
>>
>>193659
Correct, while the studies covered a wide range of skills most of the participants involved in the review were what you would consider "hardcore," folks who either had already competed or intended to. Stands to reason that casual/hobbyist/self-defense judokas would have a significantly lower rate of injury.
>>
>>193671
>but I'd argue the pendulum is swinging too far in the other direction
It really isn't. The more we learn, the more everything says this kind of damage is accumulative and gets worse with age. We're talking about the difference between getting Alzheimer's/dementia/parkinsons or not. Of course there are a lot of other factors but this "just stop being a bitch" mentality is peak retard and completely overlooks alternative training methods or protective gear. There are whole fields of science, billion dollar industries, devoted to making sports safer for athletes, martial arts included, and your dumbass solution is "just stop being a bitch." Stfu, retard.
>>
>>193650
>Almost no brain injuries
strokes are common and underreported in bjj

the data collection didn't start making connections until recently because it doesn't happen on the mat. You get an arterial dissection and then shoot a clot a week later when you sneeze in the shower
but that's now how sports injuries are collected. If you didn't drop on the mat it didn't happen from the sport
>>
>>193684
News to me, proof?
>>
>>193647
Unless you get into heavy competing, visiting a gym with intense sparring culutre or want to go olympic/professional, you will probably be fine. Smaller injuries are unavoidable though
>>
>>193678
We SHOULD be mindful of training safely and avoiding unnecessary damage, but you're being a disingenuous alarmist retard.

There's a world of difference between professional athletes and hobbyists. All those billion dollar industries are catered towards people who take the hits for a living. Do you think the NFL players taking thousands of hits a year is the same damage that the players of pick-up games of touch football have to worry about? Do you think a judoka at the trial class of the YMCA has the same risk of breaking his neck as the judoka who'd do anything to win at the Olympics?
>>
>>193692
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5678212/

>reddit
Just an word of mouth anecdote to go along with it from the front page of Google
>>
>>193697
Guess what dipshit, what works for pros, works even better for casuals. Your logic is fucking retarded.
>Its ok for pros to take those precautions because its their livlihood
Which makes it even more so for the schlub hobbyist who ISNT getting paid for it & one bad injury can fuck up their lives. This kind of attitude just shows how little you know about real life, probabaly a neet faggot. No employer is going to give a shit why you got hurt. I've known plenty of guys who quit martial arts because they got injured 1 too many times and their emoloyer put them on notice. Even know a few tradies who got fired when their injuries meant weeks of downtime. Safety is always the top priority, whether it's a pro, amateur, or hobbyist. People who share your dumbshit opinion just out themselves as larpers, neets, or wagie tards who haven't been bitchslapped with the reality of how expendable they are yet.
>>
>>193707
Damn. Read that, did a search, read some more. Definitely going to be tapping a little quicker from on. Not sure I 100% believe it, but it's not worth the gamble.
>>
>>193752
I don't even allow people to do any chokes to me
if that's a move we're supposed to be practicing I say no, they can find someone else to practice it on. I refuse to do it
at most I will allow them to do a triangle setup but they may not squeeze, and if it's a lapel choke of any kind forget about it, go find a different partner because I'm not doing it

even stroke risk aside there's no chance exposing your brain to repeated episodes of hypoxia isn't doing damage to it
>>
>>193756
Honestly, I get it. Makes me think of the threads where some dumbass is asking "how get out of this," and posts a pic of a DEEP fucking choke of some kind. It's like, you either don't get in it in the first place or have the tard strength to claw your way out. There really is no benefit to either partner practicing any further than the setup because once it's secured, you've already lost so why bother struggling. Save that shit for comps or defense if you're going to do it at all.
>>
>>193751
Holy shit how do you miss the point so bad you illiterate fuck? NO ONE is saying to eschew safe and alternative training practices. Nobody is saying that you have to sacrifice your health and body to be a manly man tough guy martial artist. But if you're so goddamn terrified of getting an injury, why do combat sports at all? Why even leave the house? Why browse the extreme sports board?

OP isn't going to die from taking a single beginner class. If he shows up and they're concussing each other, he can just walk out. You must have taken too many shots in sparring if you can't understand nuance.
>>
>>193781
>But if you're so goddamn terrified of getting an injury
We literally only discussed the risks of 1 type of injury you faggot sperg.
>>
File: file.png (301 KB, 1827x2059)
301 KB
301 KB PNG
>>193787
And if you actually fucking read the literature, you'd see that the brain injury risk for judo is minimal.

>The most recent injury data from the 2008 SOG in Beijing and 2012 in London revealed an average injury risk of 11.2–12.3% for the more than 380 participating judo athletes per SOG.8 9 Also, James and Pieter14 and Green et al12 found that 13–14% of the athletes studied sustained an injury while other studies showed clearly higher injury risks of 23–29%.
>Regardless of the study design and sex, the most frequent injuries were sprains (5.6–59.8%), strains (7–33.8%) and contusions (5.6–56%)
>Rodriguez et al58 found competitive active judokas having no chronic brain damage induced by the repetitive application of judo-specific throwing and choking techniques.

Another factor to keep in mind is that most of these studies were done on active competitors who're more likely to injure themselves due to higher intensity and more frequent training intervals (which is the original point I was making between pros and hobbyists you bleeding heart fucker).
>>
>>193794
counter point, when you're a hobbyist you're more likely to have a partner that's a fucking idiot retard and do something completely unsafe to your body you never saw coming
I'm just playing devils advocate
>>
>>193794
>you'd see that the brain injury risk for judo is minimal
we literally fucking said that shit for brains>>193677
Then you're coming along repeating the same fucking thing as if anyone had implied otherwise. Pull your head out your ass.
>>
>>193799
So then why are you going on a holier-than-thou crusade whining about dementia you bitch?
>>
>>193756
Sorry but this sounds like horrible training practice >>193756 formulates my thoughts on this well, why do you practice a grappling style at all if you are so worried of a potential risk of strokes?
>>
>>193807
Cause it's still part of the associated risk you cum guzzling retard.
>mayo
Lol
>>
>>193832
>implying you can't train different & still learn and get benefits
How about you stop being a fucking sally getting all offended that someone doesn't want to do shit the same as you.
>>
>>193832
>>193843
As a parent with a kid interested in BJJ, I approve of anything that reduces the likely hood of permanent injury, no matter how unlikely it is. All these internet toughboys be damned, who gives a shit what you think?
>>
>>193843
Im not critizing training responsible and i respect people that train so but what you are doing sounds like this isnt really the correct way for you. Im sorry if this sounds harsh but there are other styles and ways to train. As a training partner i would be annoyed that you refuse to train basics. I know people who are in their 80s, done grappling all their life and would question what you are doing.
>>
>>193851
Plenty of other partners to pick from. Everyone's journey is their own to dictate. Sometimes you have to train whats available or nothing at all. Some people take the same approach to sparring in striking styles, only ever doing light level stuff. Some take the same approach in the gym prefering a slower & safer strength buildup.
>not criticizing
No you're just politely telling people to go away because you're butthurt at the idea someone wouldn't roll with you. I see this all the time in BJJ, it's always the ones who are obsessed with the "you have to humble yourself," crap. It's code for "you have to submit to the same thing as me." When the truth is, no, i dont. And no I don't need to play your choking games to learn just as much.
>>
File: 1707310151633575.png (390 KB, 801x822)
390 KB
390 KB PNG
>>193841
>risk of brain damage is low
>I agree
>ok so stop worrying about it and go to class
>ackshually that's such a toxic attitude need money for Alzheimer's research ruining my safe space
you have to go back
>>
>>193856
Hm kinda. I try to apply balance in these things and if one isnt spazzy or in killer mode i think just not doing chokes is just not fair to my training partners. There are enough styles to choose from, i dont get why you picked a style with the focus on a thing you dont want to do- although to be fair BJJ is much more then just chokes. But hey i cant and dont want to stop you from training so do your thing. I just dont get that mindset
>>
>>193851
I'm a brown belt, there's not a choke that exists I haven't done and had done to me at this point.
I'm also in my 30s, my arteries are factually less elastic and more easily damaged than someone in their 20s
at this point it's just an unnecessary risk to myself. I'm not going to literally put my neck on the line so other people can get reps in. go choke a white belt. Statistically he'll quit before anything bad happens anyway

and another part of this mini rant is it's not my responsibility to make sure other people are getting value out of the class. They aren't paying me dick, I'm a customer just like them. If they need more value then the teacher can let them choke him
we aren't colleagues just because we are participating in the same activity next to each other
>>
>>193647
Interesting to see how many dudes here are scared shitless of chokes kek
>>
>>193974
Like 2 dudes in the whole thread queer, cool your tits. Versus all the tards that scoff at strokes, not the witty retort you think it is.
>>
>>193990
Mad kek
>>
>>193990
that medical publication is BS
source: some brazilian guy
>>
>>193647
In 15 years of grappling I just saw one brain injury, but only because the guy eas an idiot
>>
>>193965
Yet if everyone thought like you no one would let anyone do anything because of muh dangerous
>>
>>193647
2 years judoka. Ironically judo is the only thing that hasn't given me a concussion. (I had 3 prior to starting judo from other sports and skateboarding.) You hit your head every once in a while but not as hard as you'd think. Just a little bump here and there. Worst I ever got was a black eye.

The real concern with judo is the MANY other injuries you inevitably accumulate. People regularly tear tendons, break bones, get cut or scraped, etc. in my club. I've busted my knee and arm a million times. You'll get choked so hard that you won't be able to swallow right for a week after. But this, to me, is part of the fun. There's no excitement in doing something if it's totally risk free.

My advice here is that judo is an exercise not only of the body, but of the heart--you learn to tolerate pain, to stop worrying about "a study said [x]!", to check your ego, and eventually start to deeply enjoy fighting. I used to be afraid of sparring-- now it is the highlight of my day.

The other thing people don't tell you is that judo actually helps you learn how to prevent concussions by learning how to fall properly. My sparring partner got hit by a car and only saved his head from hitting the ground by falling like we do in judo.
>>
One of the guys at my Judo club has been practicing since the 1960's.
He told me he never got injured with Judo but always gets injured when he does some other sport.
>>
>>193647
Very low. Two of the first things you learn is Judo is how to fall safely and how to do a move in a way your opponent can fall safely. Unless you constantly compete and do crazy acrobatics without breaking your fall, you most likely won't suffer any major injury, to your body or head.
>>
>>195136
>You'll get choked so hard that you won't be able to swallow right for a week after. But this, to me, is part of the fun. There's no excitement in doing something if it's totally risk free.
Find a better club, retard

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.