[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 522251.jpg (75 KB, 666x968)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>24yr old
>go to japan for 2nd time
>first time solo, this time with 2 good friends
>start off in tokyo
>roadtrip to nagano nature
>adventures ensues
>sleep in a tent for the first time
>laugh hysterically with friends during trip, never laughed this much in a week
>never had this much fun in a holiday
>roadtrip to kyoto and osaka
>osaka nightclub, close to pulling 9/10 japanese girl but cockblocked by her friend
>flow state ensues, effortlessly making genuine connections everywhere i go
>fuark ... time is going too fast
>9 days are up
>fly back to amsterdam
>listen to songs of the roadtrip and watching polaroid pictures my friend made
>cover my head in airplane with blanket to let out tears of happiness and sadness
>walk to school in rain today, 3 assignments due. job interview monday

The post travel depression is real.. i had this when i returned from thailand too but this one hit so much harder cus i could share my happiness with friends.. I graduate in july as a RN. should i save up money and consider working in japan for a few months in the tourist sector? i feel like traveling is the only good way to live life
>>
>>2646702
Japan? :O
>>
There's nothing you can do about this except accept that the sadness only exists because you had so much happiness.

The worst thing you can do is start to feel anxious about not travelling 24/7 because for 99% of people constant travel isn't an option but if you are always researching travel you'll feel a ton of FOMO and like you're wasting time doing stuff besides travel
>>
Holy moly, your life is like a movie! Wow!
>>
>>2646702
Be happy you're still at the point where you can get post travel depression, it means you genuienly enjoy traveling. Now I'm at the point where even travel doesn't make me feel anything, just fucking numb all the time. Now Im depressed in Tokyo instead of just being depressed at home
>>
>>2647334
sounds shitty
>>
>>2646702
Very wholesome anon :’)

I hope to to Japan someday. I’m still a SEA coper but I will ascend to the heavens of porcelain skinned East Asian princesses soon
>>2647334
This is unfortunate. My condolences
>>
>>2647273
thanks for your insight anon. i do feel like the sorrow i feel is not as strong as the memories i made during that trip though.

>>2647334
it's not only traveling itself, it's making genuine connections with people. i've solo traveled to tokyo too in august and didn't have the same experience since i wasn't with friends. because I was with friends this time I had an easy time letting go of inhibitions and just living. also sharing the happiness and highlights with friends. it truly elevated the experience

>>2647353
ty anon. asian women are some of the most beautiful out there.
>>
Dude is thrilled that he almost fucked a cute Japanese girl.
>>
>>2646702
Fuck I want to experience this. I think I would feel probably the same. I really can’t stand being where I’m currently at it brings me too much misery. If I went to Japan or any country I would have such an overwhelming amount of freedom think I would cry.
>>
>>2647715
You should probably work on your problems at home instead of looking to distract yourself from them, because you'll go back to being the same person once you return home.
>>
>>2647644
yeah that's what happens when you haven't fried your dopamine receptors by fucking 1000s of hookers
>>
>>2647729
Maybe, I know if I left for a while it would do me wonders. I feel trapped with no freedom.
>>
>>2647776
Sorry to hear that man, hope you make it out of China soon.
>>
reminds me of my first solo trip ever to japan, i just went cuz i had a few k saved up and free time, i met a german dude at the hostel and we hung out the entire time, so much fun, stayed in touch for years but eventually lost contact when couchsurfing(.)com went to shit, haven't experienced that joy again, even when i was living in japan later for work
>>
>>2647729
You can’t fix the “problem at home” when the problem is “America.” In america, I can’t have sex, I can barely go out in public unless it’s a rich area of a major metro.

I went to Walmart at 8am on a Saturday to get groceries because otherwise it’s a zoo of low life pieces shit. In spite of it being 8am, as I was leaving the Walmart, 4 young black males were walking across the parking lot, trying to clown me for ??carrying my groceries??, and basically goad me into a reaction so they could initiate a violent confrontation. Why the fuck were there 4 ape teenagers heading to Walmart at 8am wanting to fight random people?

That’s not a problem I can fix, that’s a problem I can only run away from. Women being only willing to fuck social media attention whore men with tattoos and “up and coming rap careers” is not a problem I can solve.

I’m going to make money easily in America and then to spend it somewhere where it isn’t difficult to enjoy my life and get sex. Where there aren’t violent apes wandering the streets
>>
>>2647955
Oh my God cry me a fucking river, fucking loser central blog posting hour
>>
travel, expat culture and the like, isn't a real life. never forget that
>>
File: aOyqNzv_460s.jpg (33 KB, 460x614)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>2646702
>go to japan
>"woah bro check that out- oh"
>I'm alone
>just spend 10 days walking through stores and seeing monuments and parks alone
>sometimes stop at some bars
>no one really talks to me though
>fly back
>don't feel anything except emptiness
>>
>>2648070
Im experiencing this right now. Im too autistic to properly socialize with anyone, I can't drink, and arcades get old fast. All the main attractions are just swarms of chinese tourists taking selfies. Ive depressed as fuck for the past 6 months, looking forward to nothing but this trip, but now Im more miserable than I was at home
>>
File: yake.jpg (300 KB, 1200x1600)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>2648070
Going solo can still be magical though, i will admit that being with good friends elevates the fun, esp if you have the same humor.

When I was solo the first time in Japan getting little tipsy helped me start conversations and warm up. i actually met a few people that way on a saturday night in shibuya and went out together, eventually lost them but I genuinely enjoyed talking to them and having them around.

I also rented a car and went from tokyo to Matsumoto and then hiked mt. yakedake in like 2 hours, then i had to rush back to tokyo (like 6 hrs driving traffic) to bring it back in time (didnt make it, had to pay for another rental day). this was in august so it was very humid and hot too. very stressful but looking back they were adventerous times. probaly should've just done fuji. oh well

My point is you are the writer of your own story. If you feel emptiness inside, traveling will not save you, it's looking within and killing your inhibitions so you can live a life worth living.

>pic rel me near the top
>>
>>2648135
also to add onto this. going with someone who you don't know well can absolutely devastate your trip. my thailand trip I went with a good family friend, dude ended up being the biggest narcissist I've known and would constantly try to pick fights with me over little stuff. eventually seperated but he ruined 50% of the holiday. can have its cons
>>
>>2648070
>>2648114
You guys make me glad I’m a coomer.

Get a fuckin grip
>>
It was your work that allowed you to take this travel. You cant have the japan feeling all the time.
But anyway fuck this /sp/ banner, i hate it
>>
>>2648137
>going with someone who you don't know well can absolutely devastate your trip
Even when you do know the it's a gamble. I went with my siblings on a three week trip and realized they're horrible people, I'm never traveling with them again
>>
>>2648137
Yeah I went with one of my close friends to Thailand and he spent most of the time in the hotel room because all he wanted to do was [REDACTED] and enjoy the nightlife, which I also enjoyed a lot, but I wanted to do some different shit during daytime. So I started going out by myself to just walk around, head to the beach, swim and explore shit, and I realised pretty fast that I should have just travelled by myself. If you know your friend extremely well and have the same ideas and goals, then yeah the trip will be great together. BUT like with my friend.. if you don't share 100% of the same ideas and goals of the trip, then just cancel it and go alone.
>>
>>2647766
Getting cockblocked and not getting to hook up with a beautiful woman is a negative thing.
>>
OP you sound soft as fuck, good lord.
>>
File: e68d8qh1j3k81.png (1.19 MB, 1426x1080)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
>>2648184
>>2648192
I mean as long you can seperate without any issues should be fine. in my case I was stuck to this dude cause i got bombarded from home telling us to stick together because thailand oh so dangerous

>>2648196
Feeling melancholic after making lifelong happy memories and genuine connections soo soft you have to be alpha and strong!! good lord
>>
>>2648203
It's not about being an "alpha" you absolute child. It's obvious you have limited life experience and romanticizing things you hadn't done previously. Enjoy the memories and understand you'll get to experience it again. Absolutely hate the "woe is me" attitude so prevalent among the young "men" today.
>>
>>2648210
Ah, projecting your feelings onto strangers on the internet. the true epitomy of life experience. save yourself grandpa
>>
Lmao what the fuck is this thread

Can you people go bitch about being miserable elsewhere? OP is young and enjoying their prime years, more power to them. They type like a femanon/gay man but whatever, everyone on 4chan is a fag anyway
>>
>>2648234
Hopefully you don't kill yourself with faced with actual adversity. Good luck to you.
>>
>should i save up money and consider working in japan for a few months in the tourist sector?
yeah why not?
i'm looking at going to japan to work a ski season in a couple years time
when I was in Tokyo I met several people on their way to the north to do just that
>>
>>2646702
Look into Working Holiday Programmes Anon.
For Netherlands 200 can be issued per year, which can be competitive.

You have to be under 30 and need something like $3k+ in your bank. Plus an (un)finished work-holiday plan and reasoning for visa iirc, but the second part is easy these days. Also no sleazy jobs duh.

I'm also planning to do this, but currently I'm unsure on how to time the visa during my study.
>>
>>2647605
>it's making genuine connections with people.
I just got back myself, and somehow I find connecting with and meeting people was much easier than back home
>>
>>2647955
Imagine being this much of a failure at life that you avoid going outside because some teenagers scare you. Holy kek
>>
>>2647777
Yeah, Chinada is hell. I hate it here. I’m literally trapped in this shitty place.
>>
>>2648655
You wouldn’t last a day in my hood
>>
>>2648655
your insecurity is showing
>>
>walk around in osaka minami
>american couple
>the very large guy goes HEY WHERE'S GALA GALA??
>no idea sry
>OH WELL FUCK YOU
be happy you got to have those memories op, it's only going to get downhill from here with the amounts of tourists coming in, especially from the land of the free
>>
When you see such sights, you're unable to ignore the world that is out there. We all get into such a routine that we hardly give a second though to what's across the ocean, much less what's down the street from us. And life is finite - I think traveling, in some ways, reminds us of our mortality, especially when trips are coming to an end. Everyone would love to spend life seeing these wonders and meeting new people, but nothing pushes the hard realities of life in your face more than vacation being over. You have to work. You have to maintain your responsibilities. And that's ok too - but it's tough to ignore the world waiting to be explored.

And as you get older, it's more difficult to break away from those responsibilities. I had a real opportunity to go live in another country for 3-4 years, but ultimately my family and I decided against it because the logistics were just going to be a nightmare when it came to uprooting our current life.
>>
>>2646702
that is awesome anon, glad you had a good time during your travels, yes, post travel sadness is real because you realize how much fun you had on your trip and look back on it fondly, the good news is you did it and have those memories always, the best advice I can offer is start planning your next trip so you can have another great experience.
>>
>>2646702
highs and lows
i do hope you didnt act like one of (((them))) while you were there
>>
>>2646702
was depressed for a few weeks after having a fantastic time in argentina for almost 2 weeks

returned to my life in the states with a horrible roommate (fortunately I can move out and move on with my life in a week).

Went from peak bliss 10/10 to 1/10 nightmare within the span of 2 days
>>
>>2652198
I won't ever go there because two of my family/girlfriends were raped and killed. Not even kidding. Dad was there, his gold chain was ripped off and stolen.

Here is the funny thing. I never even was allowed to bring my sidearm after applications. Fuck off. Sorry. But fuck off.
>>
>>2646702
Reminds me of my first time visiting. I had to hold back tears of joy/regret on the last connection back home. I also got food poisoning from nuts and wasn't sure what was wrong for about an hour, until I got off a light rail and calmly puked my inflight meal over a railing onto some rocks. Right in front of a cute Chinese girl... baka.

>>2648497
>somehow I find connecting with and meeting people was much easier than back home

I think I speak for a good number of people when I say that the lack of perceived consequence being a temporary visitor and a defined routine, will almost always make this SEEM like it's the case.

People just don't have the same "guard rails" when travelling. The reality is often that you could genuinely have a similar experience at home, people just choose not to. Mostly because it's hard to see past those walls one constructs for themself.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.