[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: url(2)_1.jpg (41 KB, 564x219)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Happy Sunday Catchan,

I thought I might tap into the collective travel knowledge here since we are all a bit of a diverse bunch from varying backgrounds. So I just booked a flight to Japan next month May 3 to Jun 1 and I'd like to hear any tips or reccomendations from those who have visited there or anywhere in the Orient really.

This seems like one of the best months to travel there. Golden Week is just ending so less crowds and just before the wet season and before summer vacation for much of the world. I got a large backpack and plan to buy a second hand piece of luggage to load up with goodies before I head back.

I know there might be a bit of a culture shock when I get there so I am doing my best to be prepared as this country is probably the most "different" country I have been to. So please share any thoughts or your experience in the matter. I am a well off male around 40 and I am planning on staying at a variety of different properties including ryokans, capsule hotels, hostels and Marriott properties as I am a Ambassador Elite with them. Also, I love hot springs and considering walking the Nakasendo Trail. A good primer or must knows would be very helpful for my trip. Thanks!
>>
File: bb8.jpg (79 KB, 847x900)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>
>>2645050
Why would you book a monthlong trip when yiu have no real idea what to do there?
>>
>>2645084
That's why I have a little over two weeks to get ideas and reccomendations together. A month seemed like a good amount of time to see many destinations and seems to be a sweet spot by people who have visited.

I have a few landmarks and museums I want to hit so far but I really am looking for another anon from North America to give me some tips of what to expect that they discovered when they visited. For example, I just learned that the JR pass may not be worth it anymore.
>>
>>2645058
kek
>>
File: 1702139793665.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1440)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>2645086
Here's my 31 day plan on visiting Japan. You'll have to figure out which tourist attractions you want to visit yourself. Most attractions are temples, and there's a real temple fatigue, so don't try to visit all of them or you'll get bored. Keep in mind my travel destinations don't involve alcohol or seafood famous cities because I don't drink and am allergic, so if you're going to Northern parts of Japan you might want to do some research if you're into those things.

Travel plan - Tokyo (7 days), Kamakura (2 days), Nagoya (1 day), Osaka (3 days), Nara (1 day), Kyoto (5 days), Kanazawa (1 day), Tayakama(1 day), Nikko (2 days), Aomori (1 day), Hakodate (1 day), Sapporo (3 days), Wakkanai (1 day), Tokyo (2 days).

Tips: Buy 14 days JRP on the last day on Kyoto to save 240$.
>>
File: 20240319_120019.jpg (3.3 MB, 4000x2252)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>2645387
You know, the more I am thinking about it, I am early retired so I was thinking I might go up to the northern areas maybe in the fall if this first trip isn't a disaster. The rail pass as of the end of last year nearly doubled in price. Yeah, 21 days. Fortunately, there is a tool to see if it is still worth it. Maybe a flight up to Hokkaido and ride the train back is an idea.

That itinerary looks quite ambitious. I think I'd like to spend more time in nature at a "slightly" slower pace if possible. I appreciate your input and hope you have a good time.

I know the time is close, but I wonder if there are any must needed reservations I should make. Don't care about Harry Potter or Disney. Big naval fan so Yamato Museum. Thanks again!

DC Cherry Blossoms earlier this year.
>>
>>2645419
The only way I managed to make JRP be worth it (and just barely) was by making a trip from Kyoto all the way up to the literal northernmost point of Japan (Wakkanai) and then back to Tokyo. As far as nature goes, I believe you'll enjoy Nikko, it is a city where you have to hike through lush forests to reach the temples.
>>
>>2645512
Thanks for your reccomendation. I will definitely remember that if I decide to wander all over by rail.
>>
>>2645512
Oh, how did you get around in the south for those days before you bought the 14 day? Local trains?
>>
I am assuming you had a suica card or the like. Any thoughts on the Nakasendo?
>>
File: 1702145709298.jpg (26 KB, 609x503)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>2645551
>>2645897
I've never been to Japan, it's my plan for end of year
>>
File: werewolf1~01.jpg (156 KB, 1600x1102)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>2646267
Low season is a good time to travel. I like shoulder seasons myself as well if I am going to be outside alot. Hope to be in and out before the rainy season and when kids and their parents take summer vacation.

The suica card I discovered is just a prepaid card for visitors you can use on busses and trains and just hop on, scan, get off wherever and it just takes whatever fare it was off. Hopefully pretty simple.

Found some pilgrimage sites for ancient anime I use to watch when I was young. Inari shrines. Dunno if touhou is still a thing but do they still sell merchandise of it? Also for other things like doujinshi, are there shops that don't list their stock on the net like Mandarake, suruga-ya etc. Might be worth going to Akihabara and seeing if I can find things of old stuff I use to watch in the 90s/2000s.
>>
>>2645050
I did a month japan trip blind last summer and recommend sticking to three weeks
>>
>>2646338
Why?
>>
>>2646338
Blind you mean on-the-fly? I am at a few days less than a month. Why is a little less than a week more too much?
>>
>>2646338
Traveling with a blindfold seems a bit dangerous
>>
>>2646384
I honestly don't know what he was trying to say. I an going to guess that he meant he was going to visit without any research and kind of do it with children "on the fly" meaning book accommodations and decide what or who you want to do on the day of. I totally understand that and it's a cool way to travel, but I am not sure how great of an extent you can do that in Japan. Maybe some if it's off season or shoulder season.
>>
>>2646338
Blind?
>>
Japan is great. You'll have a great time. GET YOUR FLU SHOT BEFORE YOU GO! I caught the flu while I was in Japan and was sick in bed in my hostel for 5 days sleeping. It was awful. You can make your plans up while you go along. Shinkansen is expensive. Get the pass early on because you'll probably end up having to use it more then you expect. Hiroshima is great. Get the okinomiyaki.
>>
>>2647447
Oh snap thanks for reminding me. I'm not OP but i have a trip mid may.
>>
>>2647447
>make up plans as I go along

That's how I normally do it in other countries, but Japan is just so different and I know so little about it I need to at least plug in some waypoints to hit beforehand or else I'll already pass something I wanted to see.

>>2647447
Thanks for the reccomendation but I have never been sick in my life that I recall. Felt like shit falling out of trees or being hurt but never from the air.
>>
There isn't much you need a reservation for if you aren't going to the top tier attractions.
>>
>>2646371
>>2646362
I didn't prep very much, so I ended up doing a lot of similar stuff - once you've seen a few temples you've seen most of them. It got hard to be enthusiastic/find new stuff to do. I really miss it and would love to go back but doing a whole month all at once was a bit much - I just got bored and wanted it to be over. My trip was later than yours in june-july so it was hotter though.

Don't expect to buy second-hand luggage, just go to a donqi or bic and buy a cheapo suitcase. When I was there I bought the official The Pokemon Company Pikachu carry on and really like it, https://www.ebay.com/itm/235165028643 this one but unsure if it still exists

Above all I highly recommend biking around, especially in quieter cities/off peak hours. I visited a temple in Nagano at midnight with barely anybody around, it was magical especially compared to them normally being so overcrowded
>>
>>2645050
month is a good way to do Japan, the Tokyo area is so overwhelmingly everything, you need time to adapt unless you from NY or some big city like that.

Take it easy, get comfy shoes (fr fr), you can always grab a bite at kobini if no place suits your budget.

Most of all, dont stand in middle of crowd googling shit, always put yourself away from human traffic, since Tokyo human river has rules. YOu dont just stand in middle of it like a bozo.

Stand to side near walls of buildings and see whats what.

Once you move you move as all move.

Except that, dont get drunk like idiot and respect the rules. Make all gajins proud.
>>
>>2650149
Cool. I'll keep biking on my mind and look into it more in the smaller towns.

>>2650420
Yeah, I am more of a country boy but I've been in the big cities plenty of time. I got a few days in a business hotel to acclimate, then will hit up hostels/capsule hotels and use up some premium Marriott points for rooms I have. Concerned about a ryokan solo a bit. Hoping there are some where going and visiting the onsen and stating there isn't too weird.

Yep, i always step out of the way before I look up things. Nah, won't get drunk, I'll have some drinks but I don't drink alot in foreign places.
>>
Nothing big is going on in May right? Golden Week will be over after the first few days in the month and I should be able to book most hotels/stays a day or two in advance right?
>>
>>2645058
this but unironically
>>
File: 1709889800070649.jpg (62 KB, 500x616)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>2645050
Im going for at least a month at the same time you are. I plan on staying in Tokyo the whole time but will travel outside the city if i get the urge. Ill be staying in a monthly rental room with shared utilities. My plan is to just live there in a sense. My whole summer is empty and i can stay the whole 90 days but from previous experiences i am sure i will be exhausted by the end of a month. You will definitely be exhausted if you are moving around every other day for a new place to sleep. I wont be rushing to tourist attractions or going on tours every week. Instead, ill be going to the gym, studying languages, and getting a tech certification. Im 33 and have traveled solo many times. If you feel the urge for some company i would be down to meet up with a fellow traveler.
>>
>>2651995
Neat anon. My trip starts when I land just after golden week. I've thought about doing what you are doing with just a month long rental but I want to go there a few times first and play the tourist so to speak and get the big things out of the way. Maybe in a few years do what you are doing and use a little cheap apartment as a base of operations for 60-90 days. I am going to try not to rush and take my time. I've ruled out all but one or two attractions I really want to see that are just above Tokyo. I only plan to do Tokyo and Southwest this time to the end in kyushu. I may come back on the shoulder season of fall to do a month in the more rural north and Hokkaido.

Yeah, I might be up for a drink around the 6th-9th I'd estimate. We got the General and probably here and would be nice to talk to someone as it has been quite a long time since I've truly been backpacking around. (Mostly Europe. Asia is all new to me) Thanks!
>>
>friend trying to get me to go to Japan with him in June
>exchange rate making it extremely tempting
I wasn't even really considering it, but now...
>>
>>2653773
Hotel prices have alao jumped 20% since last year or something. The market is working. So that means you are less likely to get a good deal. Maybe things are adapting but they know we know and they have been increasing prices from my research and news reports.
>>
>>2653792
It was too good to be true
>>
File: original.jpg (121 KB, 600x400)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>2653794
The earlier you react to the change the better. Lots of things are changing lately. No naked man festival for the first time in 1000 years, they are putting up 84ft nets to block the view of Mt fuji because people being asses in parking lots/traffic, gion district and other random plaves with the geishas are being blocked to foreigners... every day I read two or so long traditions that has died or changed/been made forbidden for tourists.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.