[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Use with [math] tags for inline and [eqn] tags for block equations.
  • Right-click equations to view the source.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (820 KB, 1203x1081)
820 KB
820 KB PNG
what do you think?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/06/pythagoras-theorem-proof-new-orleans-teens
>>
File: file.png (249 KB, 1082x563)
249 KB
249 KB PNG
>>
my theory is that one on the right needs to go on a diet, look at how some of her hair is caught under the fat rolls on her neck.
repulsive.
>>
>>16162512
Assuming that c is given, a and b would have to be determined first. Since x and z are expressed by a chain of expressions containing (a,b,c), this raises the question how you could find the values for (a,b) without relying on pythagoras's theorem in the first place. Ex ante, there is no way for you to know what the precise values for (a,b) are on which the values for (x,z) depend.
>>
>>16162514
rather both
>>
>>16162597
it's a proof for pytha. You don't need to know values. What you need to see is 2 ab/c^2 = sin 2 a AND 2 ab / (a^2 + b^2) .
Hats off to the two young ladies.
>>
>>16162645
>it's a proof for pytha.
No, it isn't. Calculating a series that expresses the hypothenuse and the adjacent based on the exact same geometric figure just inscribed does not solve the issue.
>2 ab/c^2 = sin 2 a AND 2 ab / (a^2 + b^2)
The sinus function, right. The sinus function that does not, in any way, already presume Pythagoras's theorem to be proven. We can simply assume things to be true while we're trying to prove them. Makes sense.
>>
>>16162512
>just a convering pythagoras series
>>16162645
It's like saying a+b=c because 1/2(a+b)=1/2c
>>
>>16162503
Good for them and I hope the chuds seethe hard as they achieve nothing with their miserable existence
>>
File: WheresMyNewsStory.png (13 KB, 836x694)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>16162512
When I first heard what they did, I cooked this proof up in a couple of minutes.
>>
>>16162512
is there a link to their full argument/demonstration written out
>>
>>16162743
no, because they know the whole story would collapse if it was opened up to critical examination. and that's probably fine. it's not the girls' fault that this has reached such ridiculous lengths, it's academia's and the media's.
>>
>>16162512
i'm dumb but don't you have to assume that b>a for it to converge
>>
>>16162736

Since the law of sines is typically proven using areas, I wonder if you could eliminate its use and just use areas. Or just use the law of sines without considering area. The latter seems more like what the girls did.
>>
>>16162503
I feel like we laughed at this last year.
>>
>>16162503
fat nigs lmao
>>
File: 1715016210612649.jpg (80 KB, 1203x1081)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>
>>16164351
thread theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpnzssRMxYA
>>
File: 1526298462624.jpg (173 KB, 988x925)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>16162503
that chin on the fatter one
>>
>another beautiful day without using sin cos or tan
>>
>>16162503
>>16163398
It's that thread again where /sci/ shows its absolute miserable loser side. Threads like these are so unbelievably cringe.
>>
File: scientist.jpg (53 KB, 460x500)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>16167886
Why does this thread upset you so badly?
>>
>>16168559
You feel the need to attack some teens that discover their love for math, which means you feel like they are taking away something from you or as if your shitty life would be better if they didn't get their 5 mins of attention. Only an absolute loser would think like that. You think actually accomplished scientist react like you by trying to put them down with personal attacks?
>>
>>16168796
Most people on this board do not give a fuck about maths.
>>
File: images (10) (28).jpg (39 KB, 479x640)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>16168796
>You think actually accomplished scientist react like you by trying to put them down with personal attacks?
I believe the whole roster does this, yes...only sometimes, so they all get out in different degrees of Satanism.

From "Out of control" Mikaku, a renegade for his own demons, or servile like Bill Nye...leering.
>>
>>16162503
I think discovering a new proof of pythagoras is neat. they're probably bright kids and have great futures ahead.
>>
>>16168796
>this thread triggers me because i'm a filthy evil racist
>>
>>16168861
that fat one has a future in competitive eating or sump wrestling
>>
>>16162503
Based black bitches. Pythagoras up in heaven hollering like a mad man rn fr.
>>
>>16170982
Pythagoras wasn't a Christian so he didn't go to heaven
>>
>>16171840
how could he, he lived in 500BC
>>
>>16171970
not a valid excuse
>>
>>16166840
did her chin get caught in the pencil sharpener?
>>
File: moonwave.jpg (92 KB, 500x500)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>16174242
moonman raped her mom
>>
No one in their right mind takes this bullshit at face value. Therefore we may conjecture the motivation behind what appears to be a deliberate, well planned, and admittedly clever ploy.

Background: At regular intervals we see stories that honor black teens for "achieving" critical successes. Two popular ones you may recall involve the kid that "built" a computer, and the three African girls who created an electricity generator using urine as the fuel.
You will notice the subjects are always black. Not for example one of the many other ethnic groups such as Burmese, Peruvian, Iranian, or Malay, etc.

Theory 1. Some well intentioned liberal group in Education actively seeks to promote black achievements to inspire black students. There are few historical precedents so they invent new ones.

Theory 2. A group seeking to get its hands on fund money brings attention to these stories in an effort to justify more funding for technical development aimed at uplifting blacks. They will of course oversee the grants and take a huge slice of the pie in administration fees ( as do most charities ). They may actually have a direct role in manufacturing these stories or bring about their creation with prompting.

Theory 3. There is no overt direct agenda, these stories are simply journalistic clickbait designed to fill a niche readership market. ( Most likely theory in my opinion ). Typically they fall into one of three categories, "feel good" or "impending catastrophe" or "outrage" and are frequently the domain of tabloid tier news agencies.

Theory 4. These stories are just part of a wider noninformation program. Noninformation is the flooding of news channels with stories of trivial concern. Frequently they concern subjects which the general public has little or no knowledge about which makes it easier to pass them off as newsworthy. The intention here is to fill up space and displace other more important and perhaps controversial news from the public's attention.
>>
>>16174581
Speak of the devil
https://www.fox4news.com/news/twu-16-year-old-graduate-hana-taylor-schiltz
"16 YEAR OLD BECOMES YOUNGEST WOMAN TO GET BACHELORS DEGREE AT TWU"
Now guess her ethnicity.
>>
>>16162503
I’ll admit that I’m a math retard but I really don’t get it. Why does this matter? Hasn’t Pythagoras’s theorem been proven? How does this build upon what we have and take us further?
>>
>>16174612
>"16 YEAR OLD BECOMES YOUNGEST WOMAN TO GET BACHELORS DEGREE AT TWUM"
its nice to know that dr. twum has her own university, science has a bright future with her in at the helm
>>
>>16162503
Breeding stock, obviously. Young men with sense will claim them for wives soon.
>>
>>16174876
they didn't even go to the prom, nobody wants to have sex with them cause they're too fat and smelly
>>
>>16168796
>You feel the need to attack some teens
thats just you projecting your own repulsive personality on everyone else. everyone one in this thread is discussing math except for the minority of people seething about /pol/, chuds, incels, nazis or whatever other boogeyman their headcannon carries around to be constantly upset over.
>>
Is there a proof that all four sides of a square are of equal length?
>>
>>16177646
maybe the negroes will prove this for us one day
>>
>>16177646
It cannot be proved because the square root of 2 is irrational
>>
>>16179395
ok, thanks
>>
File: physics.jpg (55 KB, 474x585)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>16179395
Can it be proved if you use dark numbers?
>>
It is widely thought that no other theorem in mathematics has had more valid proofs than the Pythagorean Theorem. Since the time of Euclid it has been proved over three hundred different ways. Not only did Euclid have his own proof, so did Albert Einstein and Presdent James A Garfield. I believe Ramanujan had his own proof. How long will it take to prove the Pythagorean Theorem? 2,300 years ago long. Yesterday long. It’s settled. It’s done.
>>
>>16166840
is her name Erin Williams or Ne'Kyia Jackson?
>>
>>16171840
>>16171970
>>16173049
ehm, Jesus brought people from the first level of hell to heaven after he died haven't you heard of DANTE?
>>
>>16174612
>Now guess her ethnicity.
a degree in sociology. They aren't human, this is why they need to study humanities.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.