[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: st george to NJ.png (443 KB, 1119x854)
443 KB
443 KB PNG
Should the Port Authority consider the development of a railway/subway line from New Jersey to Staten Island?
Everyone knows that Staten Island is the bumhole of NYC transit, having one heavy rail line that runs worse headways during off-peak than any 24h Subway line during the night. That even includes the Rockaway Park shuttle whose five stops are among the nine least used on the entire network according to 2014-2019 figures.
Now every half assed transit enthusiast knows that Staten Island once had a line going from St. George along the north coast of the borough. The continuation of that line is now a cargo rail line into New Jersey. This provides two opportunities
>A rail line along the existing right of way to Elizabeth and Newark, providing direct rail service to Newark Airport and potentially midtown Manhattan
>A subway (PATH) or light rail (in collaboration with NJ Transit) line that crosses the state border over the Kill van Kull and then uses the existing right of way at Port Richmond
All three options will need at least a 3 mile long tunnel to reconnect St. George with the elevated section at Port Richmond. The rail line option would need a connector to the Northeast Corridor line at Elizabeth Port, while both the subway and light rail options would need a bridge or tunnel to cross the river. And of course the Subway would need a major extension project across Hudson County.
How realistic would such a project be, and do you think it would be reasonable or maybe even needed? Also I am not an American so I don't have expert knowledge on all the different parties required to make such a project happen so feedback would be welcome in that regard.
>>
In black: The main project, re-connecting the elevated section at Port Richmond with St. George Terminal again
In yellow: The rail option running to Newark and possibly New York Penn.
In red: The extension of the light rail from 8th Street across the Kill
In teal: A possible route for the PATH extension from Journal Square towards Staten Island (using the light rail right of way south of I-78 and the same extension from 8th St as the light rail)
>>
>>1955102
The problem with trying to make rail to SI happen is that the strongest voting bloc is SFH property owners who are mostly italian reactionaries affiliated with NYPD or FDNY or DOC or "contractors" (aka the mafia). Those are also almost entirely jobs that require a car to get to/from work because the transit network in NYC is mostly built around office workers in midtown. These people hate mass transit, because it helps "those people" get around more easily, and they perceive it to be at odds with the efficient movement of private car traffic.

Whereas the north shore is primarily Black, renters, multifamily dwelling, and doesn't mix much with the goombas in the rest of Richmond County. Renters statistically have a much lower turnout at election time for a variety of reasons, one of which being that they (to some extent correctly) believe "the system" isn't for them, and won't work for them.

Also Bayonne has a history of being antiblack and hostile to infrastructure that might "import the blacks". The demographics have shifted a lot recently but once again, the property owning population is mostly still white and deeply suspicious of anything that would let "those kind of people" get in and out more easily. This would obviously be repackaged in a more palatable message to voters like "but what about the impact on local business?!?!" but NJ voters would understand the real meaning.

Lastly the small overlap of people who (a) thinks about SI at all and (b) wants it prioritized over something else that matters will probably prefer to see a link under the verrazzano narrows, so they're not going to like this plan either.

tl;dr never going to happen
>>
>>1955106
This. Fuck Staten Island, there's a reason no one likes it.
t. Jerseyfag
>>
>>1955102
Why would you want to connect staten island to the irredeemable shithole known as new jersey over connecting it to the rest of NYC
>>
>>1955487
swarthy fag, you're probably one of those arabs or indians that keep moving here, you're just as bad as the blacks
>>
>>1955496
I'm Sicilian
>>
>>1955102
>Staten Island is transferred to New Jersey, and is decomposed into several municipalities that together make up a new Richmond County
>Those parts of New Jersey that lie east of the Hackensack River (i. e., most of Hudson County and some of Bergen County) are transferred to New York, and are transformed into a new borough of New York City
>NJ Transit extends service into Richmond County
Voila.
>>
>>1955503
I would kill myself if my homeland got added to New York City. That place fucking sucks.
>>
>>1955503
I think we should give them inland rockland county as a goodwill gesture, along with orange county to port jervis. That would mean transferring the pointless port jervis line to NJT who can decide what they want to do with it (maybe sell it to foamers). They can also keep all the measles freaks and religious maniacs, we don't want them.

Obviously we (the state of NY) would keep the area along the hudson from palisades up to the bear mountain bridge, and make that part of the city of yonkers to help them smooth out their inherited tax revenue issues from the dark ages of the 70s and 80s, and lighten the burden on this generation of working class yonkers folx who still pay the luxurious pensions of retired organized crime lords (aka the police).

Bergen county down to jersey city would be annexed to new york county and become exclaves, similar to marble hill. Everything down to bayonne stays as NY county. Also we keep st. george down to arrochar and that becomes annexed to kings county. The 11th congressional district gets dissolved and merged with the 9th. Malliotakis gets arrested for treason and put in a prison barge in long island sound pending her trial, scheduled for spring of 2049. No bail, because bail reform bad ;-)
>>
File: _.png (1.76 MB, 10000x7500)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>1955622
>>
>>1955503
We don't want Staten Island, fuck off.
>b-but geographica-
Fuck off
>>
>>1955106
>Also Bayonne has a history of being antiblack and hostile to infrastructure that might "import the blacks"
very based
>>
>>1955636
this is mega gay and also retarded
>>
>>1955503
Keep Staten a NYC borough and add all the Long Island and North Jersey commuter counties to New York City for the maximum effect of pissing off people who make living in New York City their entire identity.
>>
>>1955503
This is the way.
Staten Island is rightfully New Jersey clay and deserves the same level of transit consideration as Warren county gets.
>>
>>1955497
that's what >>1955496 said though?
>>
>>1955487
why would you post your actual id to 4chan even with it blacked out

i sincerely hope this is a photo you pulled from google ffs

also fuck nj
>>
File: 20210714_203026.jpg (3.37 MB, 4032x3024)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
>>1955636
Lmao I guess I live in one of the few non gray areas on Long Island! God bless my parents for moving to the north shore and raising me there. It's a <10 min drive from my local LIRR station, but without the shittiness of suburban sprawl that plagues the majority of the island.
To everyone in this thread that lives on LI, give Locust Valley / Lloyd Harbor / Nissequogue / Old Field a visit sometime. Great parks and beaches. Fuck south shore.

>>1955503
also lmao for making the NJcucks seethe
>>
>>1960163
What do you think is gonna happen?
>>
>>1960167
I mean im pretty sure someone could use an image editor to make out the personal information that was blacked out but i guess even then what are you gonna do with that. Cant steal someone's identity from a pic of their drivers but ig they can find out where you live. Idk probably no one on /n/ cares enough to do that but I would be careful on other boards with more deranged people with more free time
>>
>>1960169
Image editors aren't magic. If the pixels in the blacked out area are fully black, they can't bring back what was there before. Stuff like xraying only works with clothing or marks that were slightly transparent to start with.

I have accidentally posted my name and address on /ck/ because I was reviewing something I bought in the mail, and someone in the thread pointed it out, but nobody did anything
>>
>>1960169
nta, I tried an inpainter with a general purpose model and the results were enough to probably make bayonneanon panic if I posted a pixelated version but really nothing of value in there, it just looks realistic from a distance

I've got a real method that I found that was written up by some autist in jordan but it's going to be an actual project and I'm not sure it will even run on my hardware. I know where I can run it, but that's a lot of work just to troll some r-slurred shitposter on /n/

but it might be a fun learning experience so I'll keep you posted. I promise not to doxx anyone for real this is just for fun. I can just cyberstalk the guy and if it matches someone on one of those familytreenow stalker sites I'll know it worked for sure

mods pls no ban I'm not gonna post any of it I swear to god
>>
>>1960176
>>1960169
and done!

to my surprise, I am only 2 degrees of separation from this tendies enjoyer. the connections are a bit too casual to consider interesting, it's just that there's enough demographic info about this person to know with 100% certainty that he was in the same building as a friend of my mother on multiple occasions, and as I know enough about the organizational structure, I can be certain this friend of my mother was someone who would have spoken with individuals who would have been in regular contact with bayonne anon. as unlikely as it is, there is a small chance one of us could have given the other a respiratory infection!

weird to think about how many times I may have unknowingly communicated with people in my outer circles via 4chan. this reminds me of the time I argued with someone on reddit and realized partway through the argument that it was my coworker
>>
If he's not working remote these days we even work in the same neighborhood. Though I do work from home most days.
>>
I think it’d be way more efficient to just build denser housing in middle queens and middle Brooklyn.
>>
>>1960184
>>1960187
Ok, what's my first initial?
>>
>>1960217
let me put it this way, it's not garrett. you don't look like any kind of garrett.

stephanie is a cutie pie btw was that relationship based on real life? she seems wholesome. one imagines having a family with her and settling down in your old neighborhood. you seem like a family oriented kind of guy, getting a place so near to where you grew up.
>>
>>1960249
Hmm, you're off on the name and I've never been in a relationship, nor know anyone named stephanie, nor own a house near where I grew up. I think your ID fill model might have hallucinated some random details that happened to match the real name of a person in bayonne. Which is what you were trying to do - but you got the wrong one
>>
>>1960254
whatever you say jack
>>
>>1955102
What reason would they have to do it?
>>
>>1961884
SI is useful land despite being filled with mobbed up "sanitation executives" and thin bleu line weirdos with "the punisher" stickers on their challengers. Adding rail connections to the mainland would make sense if not for the arbitrary lines drawn on the map saying this land is a suzerain of the gyalpo of trenton, and that other land over there is part of the mandala of the maharaja of albany
>>
bumping because it's actually about transportation and not real estate industry copypasta
>>
>>1955102
Yes and staten island should finally secede from the city and join nj after this. I imagine they'll turn it into a landfill again. People from nj will see a natural space and go "we need to pump some toxic chemicals over here"
>>1960196
fuck off we're full
deport all transplants to their gay ass midwest towns
>>
>>1955102
It's a beautiful dream, but it's just that, a dream. First off, the North Shore line has been developed over, there's tons of businesses building up along Richmond Ter that aren't going to want to go anywhere just so people can connect to St. George. The Bayonne Bridge just got a facelift a few years ago, so nobody is going to pay to put rails on it, and even if they did the Hudson-Bergen light rail has too many stops to make a commute to Manhattan feasible, let alone one of the other borroughs. As for the last option, connecting to NJTransit, that rail is fucking EXPENSIVE and going that far out of the way just to connect back to midtown Manhattan is gonna be a no-starter. Much as I love rail, none of the Jersey connections beat the SIM bus, which has several lines all over the island and connects to downtown AND midtown. The best Staten Islanders can hope for is turning a couple lanes on the lower Verrazano Bridge into a rail connection to Bay Ridge.

>>1955106
>Also Bayonne has a history of being antiblack
Have you been to Bayonne? It's not a bunch of whiteys like you're implying...
>>
File: directlink.png (202 KB, 909x899)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>1955102
No.

They should do something direct from Manhattan to St. George and get rid of the ferry.
>>
>>1968256
maybe it can be the 2nd Avenue Subway's T branch that makes it to Staten Island.
>>
>>1968047
new yorkers just as provincial as anyone else come to think of it.
>>
>>1968047
we are in le climate crisis we need people to live in glorious NYC and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
>>1968256
>Just build an eight mile tunnel completely underwater when there's already a boat doing the exact same route
No, retard, nobody is going to build another chunnel when: A) there's multiple bus routes connecting SI to Manhattan, B) it would be much easier to run rails over the Verrazano bridge, and most importantly C) New York is more likely to have zero rush hour traffic than it is to NOT tell SI to get fucked vis a vis transit connections.
>>
>>1955106
spbp
>>
File: SI proposal.jpg (362 KB, 2340x926)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
Here's my proposal. It allows for seamless integration between the SIR and the rest of the NYC subway, once you sort out the traffic and headway kinks you might be able to have a one-seat trip all the way from Astoria or Forest Hills into Staten Island, depending on which line you decide to co-opt. It would make the MTA's life a little easier when they do repair work on the trains since they wouldn't have to truck it over the Verrazzano Bridge to Coney Island anymore.

They were going to build a tunnel here 100 years ago but gave up, there's about 100 feet of tunnel that they carved out under Owl's Head Park.

>>1968272
>it would be much easier to run rails over the Verrazzano bridge
Robert Moses specifically designed the Verrazzano Bridge so that you can never run trains on it.
>>
>>1968527
>Robert Moses specifically designed the Verrazzano Bridge so that you can never run trains on it.
Why was Robert Moses a cock?
>>
>>1968527
They tried this in the early 1900s during the BMT days, I'm pretty sure they almost finished building the tunnel too. Just another huge L for staten island.
>>
>>1968527
>they wouldn't have to truck it over the Verrazzano Bridge to Coney Island anymore
They JUST opened a new repair yard in Stapleton a couple years back, they're not repairing SIRR trains in Coney Island anyway.

>>1968553
>Just another huge L for staten island.
It was literally a condition of the charter for Staten Island joining NYC that they get a subway connection, but if there's one thing anyone knows about NYC, it's that fuck SI.
>>
>>1968563
I've only been to the SI mall and that place fucking sucks. The part right across from the verrazano looks comfy as fuck though ngl. If they built this subway line prepare for gentrification and the irreversible transformation of your community, the only thing worse than staten island is staten city.
>>
>>1955636
Unrelated to the New York Question, but Delmarva realistically shouldn't be its own state.
All of former Delaware should just be rolled into the new Delaware (Valley) and the rest of the peninsula should just Default back to Maryland.
Getting most of the control of their respective bay's makes more sense tbdesu
>>
>>1970649
The southern counties of Old Delaware are not in the Philadelphia metropolitan area. It doesn't make sense to group them with Philadelphia in the urban-focused New Delaware. Rather, they should be in a separate, rural-focused state.
>>
>>1970650
Bro, their chicken industry is dying, a huge chunk of the economy down there is now shore town tourism
>>
File: .png (63 KB, 649x751)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>1970651
That doesn't make the area any less rural.
>>
>>1970652
Place being rural doesn't justify it being a separate state, anon.
>>
File: .png (22 KB, 413x890)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>1970653
I disagree.
>>
>>1970654
>Keep the state of Delaware business as usual with more connection to regional economic center
>No, we need to give suburban republicans their own special state based on a movement that started and died in the 90s
Map game brainrot
>>
>>1970652
>>1970653
>>1970654
is that really suburban? I've only been to the eastern shore area of MD but that area seems just straight up rural to me, can't imagine things being much different if you go 20 miles east
>>
>>1955102
>be an island
>intentionally connect yourself to newark, hillside and elizabeth
lol literally why would anyone want this?
>>1955109
I live in NJ and there is no reason why anyone would like newark, hillside or elizabeth
>>
>>1973910
Newark used to have good and cheap portuguese food, not sure about now though. Also their music scene is better than you would probably expect
>>
>>1973911
>rap
yeah I'll pass. newark is a shithole and there is zero reason to ever go there
>>
>>1973916
The airport is an excellent way out of New York, that's been my biggest reason to go to Newark
>>
>>1955503
what would be the exact split of bergen county towns afforded to NY/remaining NJ?
>>
File: .png (332 KB, 665x926)
332 KB
332 KB PNG
>>1974306
New York would get the following municipalities:

>West edge, on the east bank of the Hackensack River
Ridgefield
Ridgefield Park
Bogota
Teaneck
New Milford
Some of Oradell (probably merged with New Milford or Haworth)
Haworth
Closter
Most of Harrington Park (except a small piece that would be merged with River Vale)
Old Tappan

>East edge, on the west bank of the Delaware River
Edgewater
Fort Lee
Englewood Clfifs
Tenafly
Alpine

>Interior
Fairview
Cliffside Park
Palisades Park
Leonia
Englewood
Bergenfield
Dumont
Cresskill
Demarest
Norwood
Rockleigh
Northvale

This is based on the Census Bureau's map of municipalities. https://tigerweb.geo.census.gov/tigerweb/
>>
>>1974313
>Delaware River
*Hudson River
>>
>>1955503
>>1974313
fuck no. I hate new jersey, but I hate new york more than I hate new jersey
>>
>>1974313
yeah i had a feeling it'd be something like this, but it gets less clear north of the oradell reservoir
could also have it follow the river a little more and retain harrington park and old tappan in new jersey
>>
File: .png (190 KB, 600x600)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>1974670
>could also have it follow the river a little more and retain harrington park and old tappan in new jersey
I don't understand what you mean. This line already follows the Hackensack River all the way north to the New York border.
>>
I wonder how jack is doing today
>>
NY is gay. Ride the D&R canal. Its goes through all of NJ and then some. Best spots, imo, are the 15-something miles from Washington Cross to New Hope to FrenchTown and back again.
>>
>>1955503
I understand pushing everything east of the river into New York, and incorporating the Hudson county cities as a borough, but what’s the goal of incorporating the Bergen county towns into the city proper?
>>
File: .png (867 KB, 1372x924)
867 KB
867 KB PNG
>>1977172
It isn't absolutely necessary that New York City be extended all the way north. But I think that, at the very least, I-95 and the George Washington Bridge should be included.
See the attached image for some alternatives.
>>
interesing
>>
>>1955503
I would riot if they tried to make NJ part of NY. NY is a lost cause.
>>
>>1979520
but you went to school here and you work here jack
>>
>>1979521
Nope and nope. I go into NYC at most once a month. That place is fine where it is, just leave it on the other side of the river.
>>
>>1977197
I think any of these proposals would be preferable, to instating the entirety of ex-Jersey as a borough, I do like these.
Either the northmost border or the one under it would get my vote. If going with the northmost, I'd guess formerly-Oradell and formerly-New Milford would form a new township, or be absorbed into Dumont. A bit messy, so maybe the Teaneck/Englewood border would be better.
>>
>>1955102
I live in NJ and I think all contact and communication should be cut off between NJ and NY. So many filthy, rude NY dumbasses moved here during covid and now my county is a completely overpopulated shithole. Fuck New Yorkers
>>
heh... bump
>>
NYC subway is so dangerous the national guard got sent to patrol it
https://www.nydailynews.com/2024/03/06/hochul-to-dispatch-750-national-guard-troops-to-nyc-subways-following-spate-of-violence/
https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/4513462-national-guard-members-to-patrol-nyc-subways-hochul-says/
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/06/nyregion/subway-national-guard-police.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTgWrTJGktI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcezfuTdADA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siFwSUc7ESQ
>>
>>1983686
are they actually going to be on the trains or just hanging around the stations?
>>
File: IMG_5508.jpg (52 KB, 451x978)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1955503
These lakes don’t exist
>>
>>1983686
are the guardian angels still around, get them to do it, these fags are just for show
>>
>>1986301
Yeah they beat up random brown people walking down the street for fox news camera crews and call them MS-13 gang banger shoplifters without evidence and then get sued for it, if you want a race war that's how you'll get one
>>
>>1988966
we're already in a race war
>>
>>1981035
Gov. Christie goes on 4chins?
>>
they should build another bridge
from alpine to yonkers
>>
File: 1696110484063101.jpg (66 KB, 1169x650)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1955497
nigger

>>1955102
italians aren't white
>>
>>The continuation of that line is now a cargo rail line into New Jersey. This provides two opportunities
Which freight RR operates that line?
>>
>>1986301
>A bunch of 70 year olds who kiss Trump's feet
Many of them sang Old McDonald to Tony Hawk because they don't like Skateboarders.
>>1983686
Just the stupidest political bullshit on earth.
>>
File: fuhgeddaboudit.png (150 KB, 666x698)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
All of you can suck my NYC mutt spicy bodega cock.
>>
>>1968571
I am Pro-Global Metropolis. NJ's Eastern and Northern counties should be annexed into NYC. from there on, New York city should expand its city area towering up 2 to 3 mile long skyscrapers everywhere. Low low density cucks can tongue my anus.
>>
File: 0pu669m91qm41.jpg (16 KB, 425x282)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1994234
>polio county being allowed to be in NYC
I'll take the coastal areas of piermont, nyack, and stony point so I can have my lycra fred rides to bear mountain without having to worry about getting arrested for temporarily being adjacent to another cyclist, but the inland areas should be handed over to new jersey

t. browner, spicier, and more DEI than you, I am literally eating a chop cheese made out of bodega cat meat right now while wearing timberlands with the tags still on them
>>
>>1993751
both still preferable to the current crop of pigs that let unfettered niggerdom ruin public transport in new york

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.