[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/jp/ - Otaku Culture

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • [sjis] tags are available. Install the Mona font to view SJIS art properly.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: japanthong.jpg (44 KB, 600x451)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
The "Japan is weird LoL" images all seem to be from the 2000s.

Has the country become more normal or have people stopped taking pictures of weird things?
>>
File: weirdjapan.jpg (65 KB, 468x624)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>
File: mcwtf.jpg (75 KB, 650x488)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>
>>46502166
Hey, the Yukkuripocalypse was an exceptionally strange day! Don't you go posting it like it was just something normal!
>>
>>46502160
The former. Even Akihabara, the capital of the "Japan is weird lol" is becoming more and more normalfagified, every niche shop is closing down and a cafe for normaltard gaijin and chink tourists pops up in it's place.
>>
File: 12oddvaadf.jpg (59 KB, 650x488)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>
File: laps.jpg (39 KB, 600x481)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>
>>46502251
What happened for it to become that way?
>>
>>46502368
A mix of internet shopping killing brick and mortar shops then the meme flu lockdowns dealing the final blow. By 2021 it was so bad the shops that usually scolded baka gaijins for filming inside started allowing westerners to videoblog inside the stores.
>>
>>46502160
the Ryu Ga Gotoku series keeps the legacy arivu
>>
Japan has gotten less otaku-friendly but also there are way way fewer gaijin in non-tourist areas documenting stuff compared to the 00s let alone the 90s.
>>
I genuinely forgot Japan used to be weird.
>>
>>46502251
go nuke your shithole of a country disgusting american subhuman pig
>>
>The "Japan is weird LoL" images all seem to be from the 2000s.

More like late 80s to end of 90s
>>
Japan was at peak weirdness during the economic bubble, when free-flowing money enabled businesses to pop up catering to all sorts of bizarre interests.
It's been gradually declining ever since the bubble popped, but these things happen gradually.
>>
>>46502160
Or maybe the world is getting weirder and these things are tame compared to what you see now.
>>
>>46505626
I think that is the most likely reason. Japan is weird, but the west has its own perversions. Unfortunately it's from the type of people that has to shove it down everyone's throats so they can claim to be "normal".
>>
>>46502368
>>46502588
Social media played a big role, mainly instagram+youtube made all the shops want to be more clean and instabae, and also made them quit the weird promotions and ads, twitter too made them scare of doing anything risky for fear of getting cancelled, mostly because every little thing they do gets posted in yahoo news and from there to tv

Also a lot of producers and the weird tv personalities in the 2000s were in their 40-50s so by now most of them have probably retired, not to mention from 2005 the government started copying the western laws and prohibited a lot of stuff
>>
>>46502251
Akihabara still at least has a "beating heart" buried beneath the garbage on the main street. I think a better example for "Japan is weird LoL" dying would be the absolute subcultural destruction of Harajuku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4RfNz4BoE
>>
>>46505956
Thank you for sharing. Puts into perspective a lot of what we've lost with the smartphone and corpos killing public spaces.
>>
>>46502160
Japanese culture is more popular than it has ever been(literally beating american culture) and they have like 10 times the tourism they had in the early 2000s so they are not allowed to be too unique anymore since they want to look "good" and keep the money flowing from the international community
>>
>>46502160
That's what I thought until I met this orange weirdo with a easy 2m long har in Shibuya doing weird shit the other day

It's just that you don't look beyond tourist spots where you don't stay too long anyway
>>
>>46503001
To add, here's a window in the television during those years:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090821162005/http://timecapsule.web.infoseek.co.jp/

Remember what the burst of the housing bubble in Japan has taken away from us
>>
>>46505956
That singing guy is still there today btw. his channel name 神川圭司
>>
File: japan.jpg (56 KB, 500x375)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Kind of related, one of my favorite batshit events from this time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasubi
TL;DR: The contestant had to survive off nothing but mail sweepstakes for a year. He was filmed 24/7 and naked for most of it. Once he met the goal of 1 mil yen, the program rewarded him with a day trip to Korea but immediately trapped him in another apartment to do it all over again, this time for a plane ticket back home.
>>
i don't even have a real desire to go to japan anymore since the japan i was entranced by was this mid-heisei era.
>>
If you plan to visit Japan please always remember that it is a different culture. What you consider correct and normal is probably not correct here. Spend all your money and come back when you have more
>>
>>46512344
I'm not sure whether to be impressed or depressed.
>>
All the fucking youtubers moving to Japan ruined the country
>>
>>46529820
Bro, do you realize native Japs themselves have a huge hardon for youtube and streaming? See any of these walk around Japan videos and you'll see plenty of them on the streets with their selfie sticks videoblogging. Long gone are the days when baka gaijins filming with their bulky VHS camcorders were scolded and kicked out of stores.
>>
>>46529843
Yeah, because Japan loves retards like Johnny Somali and Logan Paul so much
>>
>>46505722
>twitter too made them scare of doing anything risky for fear of getting cancelled
Any recent examples with shops and stuff?
>>
>>46502160
The world got wackier and caught up so it doesn't feel uniquely weird anymore.
>>
>>46512344
>After spending 335 days to reach his target, he set the Guinness world record for the "longest time survived on competition winnings".
Meanwhile, me... 3355 days
>>
>>46502251
>>46502368
The phrase "When in Rome, do what the Romans do" has effectively turned into "When in Rome, force the Romans to accept your lifestyle and conform to it" and that's what's killing Japan at the moment. To compare, native New Yorkers are such assholes solely because their city is being turned into another overpriced LA style tourist trap, and it'll only get worse as their lifestyle gets scrubbed to make way for more "Media Worthy" content bait shops and experiences. Japan is getting this same treatment and you'll see more and more Japanese only establishments pop up over the years as Japan becomes more foreigner friendly and scrubs its weird image, angering the natives who already live there. Kyoto got pissed at chinks and gaijins being living stereotypes and decided to straight up close the city down to tourists because gaijins just couldn't stand to have an ounce of respect for the people and rules in the area, and can only treat it as an ancient DisneyWorld attraction. It's tourism and image that will make a place rich, but it will also come at the cost of pissing away everything that made it famous in the first place to keep those tourismbux coming in and keep the masses happy.
For Japan to return to its former self, it all starts with foreigners not being entitled bastards and realizing that they are visitors and not customers, and people are failing miserably at that.
>>
>>46534755
Just say globalism you retard,
>>
>>46538682
globalism you retard
>>
>bugerland 2000
Superpower, mostly white people with random population of brown people picking fruit, primary concern is brittany spears' ass.
>bugerland 2024
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Americans no longer have the time or the 'moral superiority' to say "hey look it's a japanese chick who wears a thong under her jeans how weird" or whatever.
>>
>>46502368
Normalfags "like" anime they watch as clips on youtube and put cute 2hus on their car because they read the wiki, but they don't like your niche shop that sells loli goods or anything 'off the beaten path'. So it isn't anime becoming accepted so much as anime becoming diluted.
>>
>>46539043
>>bugerland 2000
Most people just started to have internet in their homes, like 2-3 years ago.
>>bugerland 2024
People can see the truth, if they care.

The illusion projected by the American media during the XX was shattered.
>>
File: 5255.jpg (354 KB, 1079x1454)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
>>46502932
>>46534755
The people ruining the country are majority other asians, not Americans, Europeans, etc.
>>
>>46539043
>>46540067
Burgerland is massive, and has many different regions. The bullshit pushed in the news is majorly only an issue on the coasts. Give it 10 years, and yeah it'll be a problem everywhere.
>>
>>46540129
>Korea that high
For a people that are massively butthurt against Japan, they oddly like to visit that country. I've met a ton of Koreans in college that loved anime/manga, J-rock, J video games despite hating on them.
>>
>>46541007
tsundere nation
>>
File: 1701130730745072.jpg (61 KB, 579x579)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Question, how does Japan sees South America? I have heard and seen japanese people having this weird fixation with spanish of all languages, besides english, and they also like Spain culture a lot specifically, so much so they have flamenco schools in some places, I knew that, but what about the other lesser good and frankly bad spanish speaking countries?
>>
>>46505956
Holy shit, I am IN this video. I will not say when or who i am, but goddamn.
>>
>>46502655
the localization team is trying really hard to change that
>>
File: GItpvNdagAAl5Z5.jpg (612 KB, 3138x2007)
612 KB
612 KB JPG
keep japan weird
>>
>>46544234
>tsundere
I'm reminded of that time when Koreans found out "tsundere" was a Japanese word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6R1eKfni6k&t=1119s
>>
>>46544434
Not answering your question but even SA has this weird relation with Japan, where a lot of Japan's martial art and other stuff leaks out. A ton of older Japanese songs just have floods of SA comments for whatever reason, so it seems the feelings is mutual, see here for the latest example I've found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kqe92voTqk but you can look up any older enka songs and it'd be half japanese half spanish comments.
Maybe a lot of expats back in the day?
>>
File: 25-o.jpg (594 KB, 1352x1920)
594 KB
594 KB JPG
>>46544434
I've been reading "Getting Shot on the Frying Pan", a manga about a Japanese guy going to counties to eat and fish. He has quite a few chapters where he goes to Brazil and experiences the culture there.
>>
>>46502216

It's the only day that everyone decided to take it easy...
>>
>>46544612
>gigguk
Wait he doesn't know the language?
I thought he was fluent, but maybe I'm mixing with someone else being half Japanese.
>>
>>46508063
It doesn't make sense to me : Japan completely erasing its uniqueness for "tourism", while it's the exotic uniqueness that attracted curiosity in the first place.
>>
>>46502705
>there are way way fewer gaijin in non-tourist areas documenting stuff
Why? It's not as interesting once you did your thousandth "oh look at this place selling erotic cartoons/loli/whatever weird stuff" so they moved to another country or something?
>>
>>46541007
>despite hating on them.
What else is new about the Kimchi niggers?
>>
>>46541007
It's just that since they were kids they were inculcated in school with the idea that Japan is a horrible country + some kind of weird inferiority complex. Then they see in everyday life that Japanese culture is cool and everywhere.

It's the same thing in China, though China is a whole another level of brainwashing with more control over the narrative of Japan being satan. It's very useful as a scapegoat for the CCP.
>>
>>46557134
They got tired and were replaced by hordes of chinese. Last time I went to Kyoto, there were places where I heard more mandarin being spoken than japanese. especially around kiyomizu-dera and heian jinja I'm sure it's even worse now.
>>
>>46557960
I've heard multiple times that Chinese tourists were way, way more awful in behaviour than western ones.
How true is that?
>>
This guy was the last gasp of teh "lol weird Japan" thing. I remember when the news of this guy marrying Hatsune Miku came out every westernoid was making fun of him and saying how Japan is so weird etc etc. But something changed: his 6th anniversary of marrying Miku also made it into the news but now every single westernoid was supportive and saying how they also married their own animu waifus/husbandos or saying how they relate to him and wished to have the money to make a wedding like his.
>>
>>46558924
People got used to Japan weird so their eyes are elsewhere nowadays.
>>
What if weird stuff are just more hidden from prying eyes, either in less known areas, or simply online with like minded people, where the language barrier excludes most wannabe clickbait retards?
There are way more "influencers" trying food and stuff in Japan nowadays, so if they could generate more clicks with weird shit they would have done so.
>>
>>46559163
My impression is no.
The whole otaku world seems to be shrinking and getting more boring. There's not a lot of super nerdy/niche stuff nowadays outside of extreme fetish content and lolcows (basically the same as here). They move from one big seasonal anime to another, like Frieren, and otherwise obsess over some gacha aimed at men in their 30s and 40s. The most striking thing to me is how routine it is. Now it's like oh here's the new seasonal anime that gets a ton of fan art which no one will care about by next year, we all understand this but we participate anyway. Here is the new FOTM character with bigger titties than the last girl, go make your meme art now to boost your followers. There was a real sense of dynamism and excitement back in the 00s, like otaku stuff was always evolving & no one knew what it would look like in a couple years. In a way it was like a movement, stuff like Haruhi really felt important, it impacted some people permanently. Current anime and vidya feel so discardable, you binge one & forget about it.

Japanese internet is a bummer. There's almost an atmosphere of depression on futaba because nothing really new or interesting happens anymore, but they don't know what else to do.
>>
>>46559630
The whole world is suffering in their own way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDQLgG1yuLU
>>
>>46558318
NTA but very true, chinks, due to a multitud of factors, are even more locustlike than westerners, not only in japan, but everywhere.
>>
>>46558318
Completely anecdotally but I live in a mid sized town between two large tourist cities in America and we get Chinese tourists stopping here in huge busloads for lunch or whatever and they really are awful. I've seen them storm through stores and restaurants and just drop whatever trash they're carrying with them on the floor and pretend like they don't understand if anyone confronts them on it. Really annoying and I'm sure it's much worse in actual tourist areas.
>>
>>46558924
>6th anniversary
>>
>>46558e18
They are. Huge growth of nouveaux riche middle class people with money but no taste or manners. Basically the equivalent of the "ugly American" tourist stereotype from the past century. A lot of SEA tourists have similar issues.
>>
>>46559630
culture needs its niches for real development, every aspect of geek culture in the west and japan has been commercialized for mass appeal. internet got too big for its own good and homogenized(sterilized) culture.
>>
>>46557069
The other guy in his podcast, theanimeman, is the one that's fluent. But he's half japanese and lived half of his life in japan.
Gikkuk is so bad at japanese it's actually depressing. He doesn't give a shit. At least the third guy (cdawgva) makes an honest effort and you can see him speaking japanese and trying to communicate with people in his IRL streams.
>>
>>46566476
Oh I see.
All I see is random snippets through short videos, and they just sound like the usual "I like the culture but I'm gonna shit on it with irony and self hate all the time" that mind raped a whole generation of weebs.
>>
>>46567114
Funnily enough only gigguk is like that. It's a tragedy that he's the one with the most subs.

Connor is in the middle of cycling from kyuushu to tokyo for charity (with chris broad), he streams the whole trip and you can see he really cares about the culture. He's a really nice guy, in the grand scheme of western youtubers living in japan.
>>
>>46567325
>Funnily enough only gigguk is like that. It's a tragedy that he's the one with the most subs.
Most of the known ones are like that for some reason.
As for why they got popular with younger weebs, no idea, but it effectively made a lot of people weirdly schizo about what they liked.
They like it, but they also have to constantly tell an imaginary public that they are disgusted by it.
>>
>>46559630
>>46565620
The internet was, for a short time, a paradise for subcultures, but the commodification and consolidation of websites has now compressed subcultures into nice commercialized blocks.
Like in the early 2000s it was new and different to see all the "weird" Japanese stuff.
Now its just expected, except even watered down (small note, look at stuff like panty shots which used to be all over the fucking place, but commodification of anime caused less and less of them. Its not really a complaint because it never meant anything to me, but its a very clear example of changing style to suit the market).
The most interesting thing you can do right now is to not use social media, popular websites, and to go outside more than you use your computer. Going to totally random places instead of researching and watching videos to every last detail before you plan where to go is another change you can make.
If you want to see weird shit, you aren't going to find it where all the normies currently are. Or doing what normies are doing.
>>
>>46567398
This reminds me of music. Vaporwave feels like the last new subgenre of music, and basically every "genre" since like hyperpop or hexd is just ripping off vaporwave. If you were in the music scenes from 2015 and earlier, you know that all this shit popular with teens now was already being done 10+ years ago, except maybe stuff like rage. Which is honestly similar to games and anime. None of these things have really advanced in the past 10 years.

>The most interesting thing you can do right now is to not use social media, popular websites, and to go outside more than you use your computer.
For sure. Some sort of movement where people just abandon this stuff would be cool. You could have an authentic subculture again

One trend I can sorta imagine happening is cafes or events where you put away your phone, and they're advertised as places to meet people & make genuine connections. These places could go viral on social media and help connect people a bit more authentically.
>>
>>46559630
>>46567485
>>46567398
It happens with literally everything. Any niche that becomes a bit too popular will be completely predated by money hungry corporations who will A) sanitize it for the wider public so investors don't complain, B) mass produce it with zero regards for quality or meaning, and ultimately C) turn it into soulless slop that has no trace of the original intent or meaning and is just industrialized crap for the masses.

Kind of how chatGPT will poop out a sci fi story when prompted, but chatGPT doesn't understand what is a sci fi story or what makes a sci fi story a good story and just has heuristic info on how sci fi stories are, greedy corpos will poop out anime/music/games/whatever not understanding what made it popular in the first place, by simply mashing together the pieces they think should be in such a product.

And here we are.
>>
>>46567577
>>46567485
I think it goes just beyond commercialization, per se. People turned memes in commodities that got used and reused so much that people got sick of them (look at the degeneration of Wojak). Part of this was meme template sites that made it easy to spam out a certain selection of memes, and the other part is just the general exposure of the internet to more and more people creates a lower and lower common denominator.
The complaint about there being no good OC is really, at its root, a complaint that a once vibrant and unique place became popular and thus boring by virtue of being filled with the lowest common denominator too lazy to make anything new.
I suppose at its base, its the concept of people who only consume swarming into a place and slurping it up like its a product to be consumed, used, then thrown away.
Its kind of one of those great tragedies, that someone that is good becomes popular, and thus is bound to become shit, precisely because it got popular and will be beaten into a shape nobody recognizes or likes.

As for people abandoning social media, its a pipe dream but I can only hope, because it would get 99% of normies off the fucking internet. Maybe we'll have some sort of "great internet collapse" where it just becomes uncool to be an always on your phone social media addict and everyone else can go back to how it used to be. And maybe pigs will fly...
>>
>>46567691
Responding to myself to here to complete my thought:
I think my point is that its not just evil businesses turning things into commodities and thus into slop.
Its that people WANT this (and I mean the average lowest common denominator type). They don't want to take effort, they want things in nice easy to consume packages. They are just as much to blame for the state of things as businesses are.
For every dogshit big box movie, or AAA video game like CoD or Madden that critics and connoisseurs all agree is terrible, there's a giant line of the lowest common denominator people ready and willing to consume it and make it a huge seller, while walking out of the theater saying "ehh, it wasn't that good" and then going again for the next one anyway, thus ensuring the enshitification of the very thing they're wanting to consume.
>>
>>46567691
>Maybe we'll have some sort of "great internet collapse"
closer than you think imo.
>>
>>46557098
That´s what happens to a country for having incompetent politicians these days.
>>
>>46559630
It's as if the Japanese have the only solution to be more expansionist than the Chinese if they want (and the human race) to prosper or something...
>>
>>46567775
Now you realize anons, now you realize...

What is next, that pages like this are partially to blame for the fact that Japan is currently led by cowards?
>>
>>46567775
What makes you say that?
>>
>>46544434
Dunno but there's tons of Peruvians and Brazilians who are half Japanese so there's that
>>
>>46569039
Yup the history is crazy. Japan sent tons of people to peru when japan wasn't doing too well, and when the postwar economy started accelerating they didn't want to bring kuso gaijins to work in japan so they tried recalled every descendant of the japanese they sent to peru to live in japan.

The amount of japanese blood in peru is high enough that one of those descendants was running for president and was almost elected recently
>>
>>46567775
Just two weeks?
>>
I miss when #歌ってみた and #踊ってみた were popular on NND. It wasn't weird, but it was a uniquely Japanese fun space in the early 2000s that was full of creative people riffing off of each other and creating art together.
>>
>>46569356
Not only Peru and Brazil, but DR, a small caribbean country, imported japs as a plan by japan to clean its image after the war and because the dictator of that time wanted to whiten the population, kek. Long story short, things went south and now theres a colony of japs living hidden in the cold mountains of the richest sector of the country.
>>
>>46575010
I had no idea there were Japanese in the Dominican Republic. I just read up a little on them, and I'm proud of what they were able to accomplish despite all the hardships they faced. What a clusterfuck though. Imagine arriving in a strange new country and then suddenly finding yourself in the middle of an unexpected civil war.
>>
>>46575114
They are so well hidden a huge part of the population arent even aware of their existence and they live just kind of doing their own thing, still practicing their old traditions. Interestingly enough, I have heard they somehow managed to make a mix out of the japanese Shinto and the local Christianity, I would like to know how that works.
>>
>>46541007
On the topic of Japan-Korea relations, I came across 「非韓三原則」 and I think I may have fallen into a deep rabbit hole. Almost all the content on this topic is in Japanese, and it's from the perspective of a Japanese national who was a professor at a Korean university in the 1980s.
>>
>>46544483
Are you Duke Nukem at 14:02?
>>
>>46567691
>Its kind of one of those great tragedies, that someone that is good becomes popular, and thus is bound to become shit, precisely because it got popular and will be beaten into a shape nobody recognizes or likes.
Things really only get destroyed thanks to corporate meddling. Touhou is doing great overall because it's mostly free from that

>I suppose at its base, its the concept of people who only consume swarming into a place and slurping it up like its a product to be consumed, used, then thrown away.
Idk man. Even if this place were good in 2024 what would that look like? it wouldn't look like the 4chan of 2008. The whole internet has totally changed, otaku stuff is no longer exotic & new and nothing really cool is happening either (seasonal anime is meh, Blue Archive, Nikke etc. are lame). At best you would have civil discussion like futaba which is honestly kinda boring and lonely. The truth is that it was simply temporary, the good old days always are. You can assign blame like X was wrong, Y was wrong, but in the end it's just fate. "It's a bad sign when things are going too well".

Anyway that's why I'm researching Zen. I'm not religious, but this cycle of "consume product get excited for next product" has gotten stale.
>>
>>46512344
Don't forget that they told him they'd go thru the footage after things were done and then make TV with it when they were actually doing weekly updates without him knowing and eventually streaming it nearly live, with a delay for some poor guy to move the censorship to hide his dick since he never really won clothing he could actually wear. They also had him keeping a diary that they'd regularly take and replace with a fresh one, and they published it without his knowledge while he was stuck in the room and it became a best seller. The part where they revealed everything to him is worth a watch by itself almost, the broken look on his face is quite memorable.
>>
>>46541007
individuals can choose for themselves, not every american enjoys apple pie, hot rods, or baseball. yet most people would undeniably say that they are "american culture".
>>
File: 1689633655329632.png (4 KB, 113x125)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
I participate in a few lively subcultures, otaku-oriented and not. Some still have that early 2000s feel, most are very small, and all are filled with new content and creativity. They're out there, but you won't find them on the usual channels of the internet, because if you could they'd be destroyed.
It's not that the entire internet has become commoditized and commercialized, it's that YOU are only engaging with the part that has. If you want to be at the bottom of a rabbit hole, don't just sit there wondering why one won't appear in your living room. Go wander around till you find one, and jump in.
Someday some of these subcultures might become popular, and enjoy a brief heyday of exposing a large number of people to their good phase before they become shit. Then everyone will reminisce about them. That's just how it goes.
>>
>>46557960
My cousin managed to gain Japanese citizenship during the plandemic despite being born in the US, and she got to visit Japan while it was still locked down from the rest of the world. She reported back that it was wonderful and like a breath of fresh air to have zero tourists anywhere. The locals liked it too.
>>
>>46512344
Reading this I'm a bit confused, what was the point of withholding the fact that they were livestreaming him, apparently to the point they didn't even let him use a TV he won because they were worried he'd see his own show? I'd imagine if anything seeing how popular he was on TV probably would have given him extra motivation at least.
>>
>>46574751
Add fanmade PVs and dances to the graveyard. Social media algorithm really killed most creative works.
>>
>>46567344
I've thought about this a lot lately. It's not just a trend in a certain field, it's just simply a trait people are taking up all over the internet. This like "forced criticism" kind of trend. I believe it's just with the prevalence of the net and spread of information now, it fosters a need to 'double take' opinions, but it really just comes off as blatant contrarianism. Simply looking back on something that used to be loved and then going a 180 "wait, it's shit, we shouldn't love it" is still just as braindead as blindly praising stuff.
It isn't just here either. I've actually started to pinpoint the cause being the rise of the internet once I noticed so much of it happening on the Japanese side of the internet as well. For example, with how shit America is; when used to it and everyone in it was so idolized. There's now such a hate boner on trying to point out its every flaw and going "Guys look, the US really sucks actually" when in truth it's still just from people genuinely interested in America and find it pretty cool.

I believe twitter is a manifestation of this ideal as well, and it's why the site is seen as people arguing about every little thing. Because it's this mentality of focusing entirely on the negatives of every little thing, that forces arguments. By nature you cannot settle with anything.
First we start from blindly loving due to ignorance, and now blindly hating due to being informed. I wonder what the next stage is for humans (the general public who cannot think for themselves)
>>
>>46590326
Him not knowing made his experience more genuine in a way. He wasn't doing a whole bunch of stuff for TV 24/7 because he thought only some things would be used, resulting in a more genuinely human reaction to his situation that made it more interesting for the viewers. It's immoral as hell, to the point things like it ended up being banned not long after, but to a point it served as an interesting view into the effects of isolation.
>>
Yesterday my dad sent me this bear paw cooking video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fcgX8QLU
I argued with him that it was a clickbait and not actually Japanese, but more of a Chinese thing. But now when I look closer, I can see hiragana on the sauce bottle. Any input on this anons?
>>
>>46559630
The internet made it too easy to be an otaku I think, especially high-speed internet. Back in the old days, if you wanted to see something, you had to actively seek it out and put effort into finding it. Now, you can open Twitter and see as much fan-art of the thing you like instantly. Forget buying doujinshi etc, you can just get your fix digitally? Why go out of your way to print books when you can get your passion-project out to thousands of people instantly? The ease of access removed the filter seperating the especially hardcore from any mouthbreather.
>>
>>46591798
Oh I see now, I hadn't thought of it that way. In that sense it's almost like a really bizarre nature documentary.
>>
>>46569356
Keiko fujimori is the daughter of Alberto fujimori, who was actually elected president in 1992 (he then became a dictator, committed ethnic cleansing, etc until overthrown in 2000)
>>
File: 1634717647760945152_1.jpg (1.64 MB, 3000x2121)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>
>>46525555
I really want to see a japanese dude running around with that on.
>>
>>46544434
I'm not japanese, but I know they have a thing for brazil.
>>
>>46505722
japanese are financially buck-broken at this moment, and I think they are about to be absolutely blown the fuck out, as pretty much every country is globalizing, and they are not really. If they somehow manage to stay pure in the next 100-200 years I'll be beyond surprised and amazed.
>>
"Line must always go up!" And I'm not just talking in a business sense where profits must always increase, so they generalise to make it appealing to more customers. I'm also talking about the hobbyists themselves not gatekeeping enough for fear of the hobby dying or harassment for "not being inclusive" or other bullshit. And so everything becomes more generalized and commercialized and bland.

>>46591821
I remember GnT cooking this years ago, so yeah, it does happen in Japan.
>>
Same as with everywhere else, globalism. How can mom-and-pop shops compete with muti-billion dollar corporations? How can parents working 50-hour weeks compete with tiktok/Insta/X/Line? And so the youth become more westernized in the worse way possible, local traditions die out and local shops close. Everything becomes the same bland, inoffensive, mass-produced shit and whatever niches are left become too expensive for the ordinary person to afford.
>>
Please tell me brolitas and Otokonokos still exist
>>
>>46541007
>I've met a ton of Koreans in college that loved anime/manga, J-rock, J video games despite hating on them.
The reverse also exists, too.
>>
File: 1713107640334974.jpg (112 KB, 700x1214)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>46591754
twitter isn't real
>>
>>46591754
>There's now such a hate boner on trying to point out its every flaw and going "Guys look, the US really sucks actually" when in truth it's still just from people genuinely interested in America and find it pretty cool.
I feel like that's because for decades the US was idealized through mass media, with hollywood being the dominant source of movies and in those movies america is idealized.
Pair that with the social decadence in the past 20 years in america, and the internet allowing people to find out how shit the country actually is, you'll see people hating it, rightfully so.
>>
File: rowdysilentgens.png (3.25 MB, 1440x1800)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB PNG
>>46502368
the yen is weak
>>
>>46568099
nice twisted narrative you got here, you can cope all you want but politicians aren't the ones to blame here, they're always inept anyway
big corporations and American politics (wokeism) are the problem
>>
File: 1703271480570108.jpg (649 KB, 1280x2558)
649 KB
649 KB JPG
>>46502368
normalfags complain about it
>>
I miss old Japan. I miss the old internet. It's a fag term but it does feel like it's soulless, that's why I like /jp/, as much as it's degenerated (cough cough vtubers), it's retained a loose sense of its original culture since formation.
>>
>>46502160
A lot of weird outdated myths about japan end up being like that.
Reminds me of the way people parrot the whole "cool japan" thing as important even though if you actually look into it, it was a failed act of a politician that didn't do anything.
>>
>>46611456
>and the internet allowing people to find out how shit the country actually is, you'll see people hating it, rightfully so.
Exactly.
The internet allowed people to see the truth of things without filters.
>>
>>46617110
the moment you try to be "cool", you aren't.
>>
>>46566476
What i hate about them, is their lack of interest on improving the culture while simultaneously shitting on it, and acting like they don't know it.
It's depressing.
>>
Thanks OP, I had no idea I had a hip bone fetish
>>
>>46615189
Don't let anyone gaslight you into "nah anon, the internet is better than ever, you just got old". It is objectively worse. Information is not only harder to come by because of the enshitifcation of search engines, but often braindead at best and misinformation at worst. We lived during the wild west of internet days, there was nothing like it in history before and there will be nothing like it again.
>>
>>46617478
>information
it's only going to get worse, anon. The internet is already flooded with "articles" made with chatgpt to fill search engines and get easy clicks when anyone searches anything.

Right now if you want info on anything related to tech (especially how to solve an issue), it's unironically better to search for posts on r*ddit than google.
>>
>>46544434
I regularly talk to a half-Japanese Brazilian guy (there are a few Japanese immigrant communities there, though I think the immigration stopped a while ago so they all go back at least a generation or two) and I've heard a Japanese girl say that she wants to learn Spanish because 'it's the most beautiful language in the world'
My impression is that their interest in SA is mostly Brazil and that the Spanish interest is all Spain, however.
>>
What is even "otaku" these days anymore? Anime is mainstream globally at this point. Japan has also been dethroned with some of the most popular anime and mobage series being from china and korea. I guess you still have the train and camera otaku but it really doesn't feel the same as what it used to be now.
>>
>>46619996
I think there's still a palpable difference between those that "watch" anime and those that are actual otaku. Mostly in the difference between whether they want to adapt the culture to fit themselves, or whether they want to adapt themselves to fit the culture.
>>
>>46619063
Brazil mentioned!
>>
>>46502160
Japan was never weird. Your western media made posts about that stuff because it generated clicks which gave them money through ads. Eventually people got bored of it so they stopped posting that kind of stuff.
>>
>>46502160
Japan was never weird the U.S. was just dumb
>>
I miss when Japanese stuff was for nerds and losers outside of Japan. Social media made everything too accessible and now you have people calling themselves fans of shit because they retweet GIFs. The sheer lameness of it all and the constant lack of self-awareness is sickening, and I dare somebody to tell me what good has come from Western normalfags getting sucked into anime because I have racked my brains over the topic and I always come up empty-handed.
>>
>>46630981
The only possible argument people would have is an increase of money into the industry, but even that isn't true because most of them pirate it. Even so, I'm not sure how much the contribution of some hald-dedicated westerners would be compared to the Japanese population.
>>
>>46630981
remember when kpop was for male nerds in /sc2g/ before normies and girls discovered it?
>>
>>46632329
Modern k-pop fans now think it's creepy to support groups with members under 18 if you're an adult, or to support girl groups as a man. the complete destruction of any sense of culture it had is insane.
>>
>>46558924
The western media showed complete lack of respect towards him lack of him, when the GateBox thing happened. They warped his situation to create fake drama of how "the man that married hologram" is somehow struggling and coping after GateBox shut down, while completely ignoring the fact that he married his plushie, not a hologram and he is completely invested in his 1:1 doll and not some gimmicky screen in a tube that repeats few same sentences.
>>
>>46559630
Replace gachia with ecchi harem and that's literally how it always was.

FOTM characters and shows has always existed. Shows appealing to the lowest common denominator always existed. There were people salty about Haruhi and moe anime back then just like you are about modern stuff.

The only thing I can tell that changed is Akihabara imo. Everything is on the internet nowadays, and Akiba just turned into a tourist trap full of retail stuff.
>>
>>46619996
>What is even "otaku" these days anymore?
A person that is very passionate about their hobbies.
>>
>>46632610
Who thinks that?
Adult women will "stan" underage boybands and shlick to them to the point of obsession.
>>
>>46633452
It's mostly female fans that berate male fans despite doing the exact same, they're hypocrites.
>>
>>46631594
Bro, most normalfags just pay for crunchyroll and buy non-official merch from local sources, and just call it a day. I've known more than one such normalfag that's even bragged about "supporting the industry" by doing those exact things.
>>
>>46633981
Holy shit I forgot crunchyroll existed
>>
File: uvh71yosasy71.jpg (121 KB, 1242x1192)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>46502160
Their navy still weird.
>>
>>46634184
you cant convince me that this isnt accidental propaganda
japans aging population is the worst possible thing for security relating to their geography/neighbors. every ship they have is precious and although i cant believe that their navys geriatric commanders actually watch anime and idols they likely permit such things knowing it will draw new blood into the armed services
>>
File: 7fhv5yopgvx91.jpg (186 KB, 960x1707)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>46634219
And its seems to work
>>
>>46633981
this is especially apparent when a massively popular anime airing in japan is completely unknown by western normalfags because it got licensed to a streaming service like hidive instead of crunchyroll
>>
The anon who said he was researching zen is probably on the right track. It's fucked and isn't going to be unfucked anytime soon. It was too good and too delicate to last. At least we have the memories but fuck, do I miss the older internet.
>>
>>46502160
>Has the country become more normal
I think it's moreso that the rest of the world has become a lot weirder and just doesn't care anymore.
>>
>>46544434
Peruvian prostitutes. That’s all they will associate South America with.
>>
File: 1698432126347731.webm (2.77 MB, 576x1024)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB WEBM
>>46505722
>>46533222
I wonder if this is why this channel deleted all of their slapping videos
https://youtube.com/channel/UCoBGaiNRcFZI03u75nN-kug
>>
File: しゃちほこ屋.png (254 KB, 392x1025)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>46644114
According to her bio, slapping is no longer on the menu. I don't know when that changed.
https://twitter.com/mabunagoyajo
http://shachihokoboys.com/bar/
>>
>>46596635
>committed ethnic cleansing
He didn't but everyday I wish he did.
>>
>>46630981
I guess One Piece got that absolutely awful woke animator that's currently butchering every fight scene with petals, random lights, and C-C-C-CHAD SKATING.
>>
>>46634712
Zen is curious. By far the most documented religion to come from China, but virtually all Zen texts have the same message, which is that Truth cannot be put into words or even really taught. So when enlightenment happens it's spontaneous and inexplicable.

Obviously a Buddhist background is necessary for this to make sense. But modern Zen is weird, I see people treat it like Theravada Buddhism stripped of all the complicated rituals and names, but they still meditate & expect to enter the jhanas, etc. This feels contradictory to the old Zen masters, whose message is clearly "Enlightenment is an intellectual process". We don't know if the Zen masters meditated or not, but considering the koans focus 100% on a combination of Buddhist doctrine and lived experience, it seems this is the heart of zen. If they considered meditation important, they would have said so.

Ironically, Westerners are obsessed with Theravada, when its claims are far more dubious & almost supernatural. Zen enlightenment is just you realizing that Buddhist scripture is logically flawless and everything it says must be correct, and living according to it. Funnily enough, Theravada is considered the "scientifically verified" branch of Buddhism, despite them making supernatural claims such as enlightened people have a special glow to them. Buddhist scripture says again & again that the funny sensations do not matter, only the teachings do, which are very strict & logical but cannot be apprehended 100% logically. Hence Zen.

It's honestly amazing. No religion will ever successfully strip away all the bullshit that develops off it parasitically and distracts from the true meaning, but Zen is probably the closest that has ever come to happening. Keep in mind that it takes a literal genius to found a religion, and any "religion" practiced by the masses is mostly a dumbed-down version of whatever Jesus or Buddha et. al. discovered. Normalfags are too stupid to embrace a prophet's actual message (e.g. Four Noble Truths) so they will make up some anime-tier DBZ-style canon with a bunch of gods and statues to make it feel real. If you want the meat of Buddhism without all the fluff, that's Zen.
>>
>>46634219
>>46634250
I don't think it is accidental in the slightest, stuff like Kantai Collection plus multiple shows and gatchas turning guns and warships into cute anime waifus is obvious they can be used as propaganda, I know a lot young guys who got into the military back then because of COD or some PS2 shooter, the military can take advantage of any media that grabs the attention of young men even if such thing was not in the head of said media creators themselves.
>>
>>46502160
It pretty much has stopped. TV (and video games too) have gotten WAY stricter than in the past. Now all you see are the dumb shows where they go to a place, eat the food and cum about how delicious it is. All shows are now the same in essence. They call it the compliance age.
I was watching Aiseki Shokudou yesterday and Nobu and Daigo were complaining about how the batsu bat game is not allowed anymore, and it's true, I haven't seen it at all in the past few years.
You can still get some good stuff from the Amazon original shows though. That's where the more interesting stuff has moved to.
>>
>>46653973
BPO really fucked a lot of things, didn't a comedian kill himself because his style of comedy was banned and he didn't have work anymore? Or was it unrelated, I forgot.
>the dumb shows where they go to a place, eat the food and cum about how delicious it is.
Let's not pretend a lot of Japanese TV has always been that. The subs we got was well, the weird stuff.
>>
>>46540129
Not that far off to be honest. The Korean Unification Church has done a lot to push their own agenda by funding many powerful members of The Diet. Including Shinzo Abe, which is why he got killed. Good riddance.
After the whole scandal was uncovered I thought that maybe things would start to change for the better, but it honestly looks like business as usual after everyone forgot.
>>
>>46529843
You definitely do not live in Japan because nuisance streamers like Johnny Somali have caused Japanese businesses to be more strict toward streaming. There are also Japanese twitter users that actively hunt and report foreign streamers, especially Kick streamers, to get them kicked out of their hotel rooms or restaurants for illegal streaming and illegal gambling. Not only that but because of Fidias, Japanese train staff now patrol and inspect the train's restrooms for illegal passengers.
>>
>>46611880
I wonder if Johnny Somali thing is only the beginning when it comes to foreign tourist/influencers starting shit in Japan for views now that the Yen got btfo and more tourists pouring in because of that.
>>
>>46540129
As of 2024, both Kurds and Vietnamese have the worst reputation in Japan right now. Illegal Kurds literally bought weapons and had a public riot in Saitama while engaging in illegal demolition work. Meanwhile, Vietnamese have been engaging in fraud, shoplifting, and automobile / motorcycle theft.
>>
>>46540129
There is a Pakistan faggot in Japan who is demanding every cemetery in Japan to accept traditional burials without caring about the consequences of allowing decomposing corpses to be buried near local water sources. You can definitely see the seeds of religious conflict growing in Japan. Sort of related but these days, popular Japanese tweets always get spammed with a ton of Arabic bot comments
>>
>>46589739
Can confirm. Everyone would from time to time talk about how good it was and then we all have a collective sigh. It was like a dream, anon.
>>
>>46544434
>Question, how does Japan sees South America?

Japan offers permanent residency for 4th generation descendants. If Japan disliked South America, they would not offer special visas for someone whose family have not been back in Japan for the last 4 generations.
>>
>>46557960
>>46558318
Before covid, Chinese tourists had the bad reputation of being notorious resellers and scalpers in Japan. They would buy up all the local baby milk formula and diapers to resell back in China, creating problems for Japanese mothers. Australia and New Zealand also have a Chinese scalper problem.

>Daigou (surrogate shopping) is an emerging form of cross-border exporting in which an individual or a syndicated group of exporters outside China purchases commodities (mainly luxury goods, but sometimes also groceries such as infant formulas) for customers in China. Daigou shoppers typically purchase the desired goods in a region outside China, after which they post the goods to China or carry them in their luggage when they return to China. The goods are then sold for profit in China. Daigou activities can be conducted illegally, or legally, using loopholes to circumvent import tariffs imposed on overseas goods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigou
>>
>>46654001
>Let's not pretend a lot of Japanese TV has always been that.
Indeed, but now the absence of the other stuff have only made this more prominent.
Unironically NHK has the best stuff now. It's nothing weird or crazy, but very cool niche and experimental stuff. Especially in Eテレ.
>>
>>46591821
The Japanese bear population has recently exploded due to the decline of bear hunters, causing a spree of bear injuries and bear murders throughout Japan. Without a hunter to teach wild bears the horror of humanity, bear attacks will continue to occur in Japan. This is why you should not be so critical of a restaurant serving bear meat because it helps a bear hunter pay his monthly bills so he does not have an early retirement.
>>
>>46602868
Out of all East Asian countries, Japan is the least interested in learning the English language. 80% of the Japanese population do not own a passport, either. Japanese people still prefer the Japanese language unlike Asian countries like the Philippines or Singapore where the locals are unable to speak an entire conversation without using an English loan word.
>>
>>46654050
There's already been many copycats since. Apparently Johnny has already moved onto SK.
>>
>>46654481
canceljohnnys is nuisance streamer hunter in Japan and posts updates on any nuisance streamer who travels to Japan. According to him, Johnny Somali is currently in Israel and already has a scar on his forehead from being cut with a pocket knife by a local thug.

https://twitter.com/canceljohnnys
>>
>>46654540
Yeah, there was a video of him getting ganged up by Ethiopian Jews over there.
>>
>>46502368
All the young otaku are switching from Akihabara to Ikebukuro, which is also considered a college town due to all the nearby universities.
>>
>>46502368
The lack of support from the Akihabara town council during covid cause many Akihabara otaku to believe their town council secretly plans to revert Akihabara back into a normal business town because big corporations can be taxed at higher rates than struggling otaku businesses.

[Sad news] Otaku disappear in Akihabara...where did all the otaku go?: http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/236623
>>
>>46654540
That's pretty great, glad to see there are people willing to stand up to that kind of bullshittery.
>>
>>46654786
Good. Go back to selling unique electronics like when I was there in the early 80s. Could walk around and have young girls ask for pictures with me, get a cheap meal with sake take a jk kiddo to a hotel for the night for cheap. Fuck what it's become. Go back to being a personable unique electronics area.
>>
>>46655477
And what exactly would these "unique electronics" be? This isn't the 90s anymore, nowadays the tech industry is extremely standard. There's no such thing as unique electronics these days.
The best akiba could do is sell smartphones and PC parts.
>>
>>46658962
You have to use your imagination.
https://nandemotsukuruyo.com/
>>
File: 1710923986885318.jpg (301 KB, 500x500)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>actually live in tokyo
>dont care about any of this seething
>glad that most "weird" stuff gone underground so i can enjoy them in peace
>>
>>46596635
>committed ethnic cleansing
he committed ideological cleansing of communists(with a lot of innocent people and political enemies caught on the line), those communist were the same people who took over Japan's embassy.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/在ペルー日本大使公邸占拠事件
>>
File: USS Iowa anime event.png (424 KB, 496x562)
424 KB
424 KB PNG
>>46634184
>Their navy still weird.
That kind of stuff is no longer exclusive to Japan, the "lol Japan is weird" factor of warships being decorated with lewd anime girls has been eroded.....
>>
>>46660708
so, like the US did during the cold war?
>>
File: Amnesty.png (732 KB, 1148x1372)
732 KB
732 KB PNG
>>46660708
>>46646943
>>
File: 4xh7pa6p8b3a1.jpg (1.27 MB, 2214x1473)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>46660746
>The Iowa museum collaborating with a chinese IP
Honestly i wish was a KC collab instead, AL shipgirls feel more like idols pretending to be warships just for the sake of sell T&A while KC's are proper "ships as girls" as the sex appeal feels more "mature".
The main creator is an autistic naval history nut that has inhouse artists that are also into history and know enough to do research about the ships they draw, and they always pay attention to historical details, they have an US historian as a consultant recently, they even released an Ice breaker called Souya, thats how much they care when they want you to know the history of a ship as weird and unknown as her. Not to mention they help naval museums as well, they keep in touch with real life events like the discovery of Samuel B Roberts's wreck and they released a remodel of her to commemorate the occasion, they even are responsible of helping NJ getting the maintenance she really needed it by making the JP community donate huge amounts of money, the same happened years before with Yamato and one of her construction cranes.
You know that when even Vets say the shipgirl based on the irl warship they used serve on board looks like they imagine she would look like means this dev team does a good job with their shipgirl designs.
>>
>>46660873
AL doesn't even has their own USS Iowa design yet, but they do have plenty of money to to make these events at US WWII museums. Not their fault that KC dropped the ball, I agree that their Iowa bote is much better.
>>
>>46654089
wht tf would they need that in japan. holy shit these guys are cancer for the society . fucking third worlders
>>
>>46660894
I don't think they dropped the ball, the devs even said the game rarely gives any money and considering is cheap to run compare to average gacha servers i feel like unless someone is willing to pay for the global servers KC overseas couldn't be a thing, not to mention is DMM the one that doesn't want to share hosting rights with anyone. You cant blame the devs on a bullshit they can barely do anything about it.
>>
>>46660894
>dropped the ball
every single time lmao
Did you forget the topic of the thread? If anything, AL is innately more cancerous because it's a watered down mecha musume that appeals to the global LCD for the sake of a quick buck, while KC automatically keeps out retards who don't have enough of an attention span to actually invest time into getting into a franchise that's now pretty much ingrained into day to day japanese life. The whole "this thing WON because it got big globally" is literally the antithesis to the whole spirit of this thread.
>>
>>46664813
>KC automatically keeps out retards who don't
This is great until it alienates it's own fans and digs it's grave.
KC liked to laugh about how much better it was than AL for years, but all of that has turned to cope about the series being in decline while AL has remained steady due to it choosing to be up to date.
It and fans rested on its laurels too long. Gatekeeping it to it's detriment.
I don't like normies as much as the next guy here but the bed is made and now we all have to lay in it.
>>
>>46664968
>the series being in decline while AL has remained steady
Lmao, bro, I think your wires are getting crossed, might wanna get that checked
>>
>>46665038
Go compare how their anniversaries and conventions were handled.
I'm sorry, but you're coping or living in the past. Understand the situation, makes peace with it, and enjoy the time we have already.
While it is more fun to have a boogeyman to throw shade at, it's little but unfounded hate or being contrarian.
>>
File: gg72p9k0w7sc1.jpg (132 KB, 501x654)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>46665235
>>46664968
I lost my wall of text but this comment from someone else explains pretty well what i think about current AL as someone who plays AL:

>It's not new, and to be honest it's reductive to say art consistency was the root cause of this backlash. For the last three years or so, Manjuu has been getting heat for putting AL on the backburner. Uninspired events, glacial changes to game systems, and more pertinently slipping quality control. If I'm going to be honest, AL has never been a sterling example of quality but they at least weren't so bad the veil went down and you could see how they likely handled things behind-the-scenes. Then the hubbub with HMS "Manchester" happened and people realized that Manjuu likely has a pile of shipgirl designs they assign names and riggings to. So you got chatter about Houston II potentially being a backburnered KMS ship that got rebranded as USS, Otto von Alvensleben being a submarine that got changed to a destroyer, and even people looking back and noticing that Reno has the designation for USS New York right there on her glove. And that's not even mentioning grumblings about some of the skins, most recently Wakatsuki and Peter Strasser's Lunar New Year skins looking nothing like their base selves despite being from the same artists.

>So you take all of that, and slap on Azur Promilia being announced. Uh oh, Manjuu's got a new 3D game coming out. Is this going to affect Azur Lane? Has it already affected Azur Lane?

>And then they announce HMS Anson in bar none the most blatant example of "they took a ship design and put whatever name they felt like on her". Like at least with Manchester or Otto you could argue they looked appropriate. But Anson had all the design choices of a submarine and you expect me to believe she's a battleship? I'm not that dumb, and judging by the outcry a lot of people were similarly unhappy that Manjuu gave so little of a shit.
>>
>>46667004
On one hand, yeah it's shit little happenings here and there. On the other, the fact that the community is being heard and responded to is good. They still shouldn't happen in the first place.
KC has it's own adjacent situations with the Potatos and designs here and there feeling stock or sickeningly moeblob. It wouldn't surprise me if they were dressed up stock/AI works.

When I said "enjoy the time we have" before, I was refering to both series. Both feel like they're on a clock. While I would like to see both do well for their own merits, the market has (and for a while) become oversaturated with 2D gacha PNG collector non-games and the tastes are changing. Hence why many are moving to 3D and have actual games. The standards of the market have been raised and now it's out with the old, in with the new.
>>
>>46667402
>KC has it's own adjacent situations with the Potatos and designs here and there feeling stock or sickeningly moeblob.
Imagine calling Shibafu, an artists that gets roasted for being too grounded and oldschool looking and different from the true over-designed moeblob that is contaminating every single corner of the anime-manga industry including gacha games a MOEBLOB. KC has worst problems than you not liking Shibafu's art.

>Both feel like they're on a clock.
Only the AL fandom acts like that matters because like most gacha games they arent made to be memorable, only to chase trends and high short term revenue, KC couldn't give a shit about being called old or not being "cool" or "modern", specially considering its celebrating its 11th anniversary. This unnecessary worry to win a race or criticizing anything that doesn't look trending by calling it outdated, boring and bad is one of the reasons why "Japan is weird" in the "moe-gaming" scene is also dying and having korean and chinese gamdevs sticking their spoons into the soup only is going to spoil it even more.

KC is the first and the last proper true shipgirl "ships as girls" game we would ever get and im sure because out of all the "shipgirl" games i tried all of them failed to capture the magic and the essence that motivated these autistic naval otakus into creating the genre in the first place.
>>
>>46660647
>that Scopedog
Very nice
>>
>>46660686
this makes a lot of sense. It's better for everyone if your weird interests are hidden from most people so they don't attract unwanted attention from those who might have problems with them
>>
>>46669482
All good until one semi-ormalfag who's into it exposes it to the general normalfag sphere and the cycle of what we love getting defiled repeats
>>
>>46630981
Dude, i remember when visual novels were for nerds and losers.
Now the doki doki shit ruined them.
>>
>>46668195
Not the same guy, but a lot of early ships are literal moeblobs you are just coping, doesn't make them bad though, you are just think it's a bad word/aspect for some weird reason, manga is chokefull of very beloved moeblobs.

I see KanColle as the Ultimaonline/Tibia of Gachas it's clunky obtuse, has weird design choices but even though it's flaws it's unique and there is value in that.

I prefer AL because AL at least feels more than an stats spreadsheet game, and still like the moeblobs they create for it, in fact I'm bored that they doing mostly complete safe horny thots shipgirls lately, but I guess the average normie gives them a lot of cash the good thing about it is that I don't feel like I need their skins.
But I think there is nothing wrong about prefering kancolle desu.
>>
>>46669653
there's nothing you can do about it, your only option is to stay loyal to the things you like and contribute in any way you can
>>
>>46674020
I do, but it's demoralising to see tourists invade, leave in a few years (if that), invade again
>>
>>46672339
Any anime girl is a moeblob if her only defined features are being cute and weak which is the very definition of a moeblob, also tends to be the first impression someone could get from watching anime girls that have moe features. So im not surprised people would say that about KC specially normies and young people which first anime experience is Attack of Titans, Chainsaw Man and Dungeon Meshi.
KC character design rejects giving strong impressions, they do have some wacky poses, they go subtle most of the time and basically the hype you see in people wanting to get them comes from them knowing their history or just wanting to see how she is, specially becuase KC never releases full visual teasers of showcase of characters, you dont even know their personality till you finally get them or you know their history which also match their personality(some times)

KC is not a "gacha", the weird design choices you mention are weird because you are judging it as a gacha, is a browser game from the early 10s and demands your time instead of money in general, i relies on you prepping your way with managing your fleet and your resources and decision making through it, hence the 4 rsc system that it was very common among old RTS and most resource management simulators, it also punishes the player for making dumb choices or being careless(that doesnt exist in gachas) you know what is actually a weird design choice? Making ASW stat to be part of the carrier night cut in attack formula during night battles against surface ships(not subs) how that makes any sense?
If anything KC is the 3 gen Armored Core of browser management games.

Tbf defending both gameplays is very meaningless since both can been reduced to point and click and wait for the outcome unless you are one of the few players in AL that plays manually instead of rushing with an entire UR fleet.
>>
>>46674020
>your only option is to stay loyal to the things you like and contribute in any way you can

Why i feel we westeroids are the ones that contributes the least when it comes to niche fandoms that come from Japan? Sometimes i feel like for example even the Touhou EN community's only contribution are meme videos on youtube and EN translations, at least the ladder is a much better contribution.
>>
>>46674354
Because the average westoid doesn't create anything, and most of the time doesn't pay for anything.

The japanese touhou community is constantly putting out all kinds of games, mangas, and even made 3 (!!) anime series.
What has the western touhou community created, other than some fanart? Our only contribution to the wider touhou community is buying fumos which probably only give ZUN a few bucks per unit.
>>
>>46674354
I have no idea. But maybe it's because of the difference in fandom culture. Most fandom contributions are based on pure passion and hard work (often unpaid), and a lot of people are just not interested in this
>>
>>46674354
Western society is based on consumption, Japanese society is based on production.
>>
>>46557098
>Japan completely erasing its uniqueness for "tourism", while it's the exotic uniqueness that attracted curiosity in the first place.
Yes, that is what usually happens
>>
>>46633981
>>46634046
In my poophole crunchyroll is like 0.3 dollars and too accessible for normalfaggots, I hate it.
>>
>>46674354
But then, what sort of contribution CAN come out of the west, aside from things whose qualities are, at best, absolutely sub-par, if not average, and at worst nothing but refuse?
Take something like WEGs for example. You've seen it all, anons. Whether its a western book, game, fan-project-whatever you'd like to call it, they're consigned to forever be shackled to shit. It's a sorry state of affairs but 'westoids' aren't westoids for nothing. It's a sickness and malady whose obstruction isn't evitable, even with the introduction of passion...which itself often is terribly sullied.
In the end, EN translations are the indisputable best thing a western fan can do, provided it's done well and by this criteria, I mean un-affiliated with any of the horse shit political lexica or delivered errantly. That and of course, money.
Money and translation. To go beyond this leads to bastard sorts of 'contribution' that'll surely make you retch your breakfast. Just the most horrific disgusting shit imaginable.
>>
>>46674482
West needs it's own doujin culture.
It's own production culture, and it's own Comiket equivalent to create the self-loop.
>>
>>46678805
Sadly the west has been taught to consume everything without ever giving back. Any attempt at creating a comiket will simply fail. Westoids don't have the passion necessary to spend months doing doujins. More than that, westoids look down on fanmade content, as the west has the mentality that anything that isn't canon is garbage. The closest we got to creating a doujin culture was the peak of fanfiction 10~12 years ago, but that's about it.
>>
>>46678870
Sad.
A world with a western doujin culture would be perfect.
Sadly, it seems to be impossible.
>>
>>46678959
Western doujin culture might be able to exist if Abrahamic religious dogma wasn't such a huge problem over here. Even as people are becoming less religious, the effects are gonna linger on for a long time. Like I could see western doujin culture existing in a world were the Satanic Panic never happened, or the Comics Code was never a thing.
>>
>>46678870
How comes that Warhammer can have something that can be considered as a productive fanbase? well at least they seem like they produced quite a lot of content from fananimations, own models and even guides and other stuff around their hobby like lore and even fan comics projects they even have a fest where indies can go but that seems more prominent in Britain i think.
>>
>>46502304
I like this picture because it looks like the license plate is covering the childs vagina even though it's obvious the little girl wants you to see it.
>>
File: 1513135010583.gif (1.54 MB, 230x230)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB GIF
>>46679800
that's the point isn't it?
>>
>>46679668
It's sad, because i can see how perfect it would be to have that.
Me, everyone around here, and others participating in a doujin culture, but sadly it seems to be west's destiny to be the opossite.
>>
>>46567398
I've just gotten back from Japan, one of the weirdest things I found was sort of tame, but random. We hired a car in Kagoshima and toured around the deep south, found ourselves at a major lake and found a golden torii gate. Area seemed to be a campsite, but there was no one around. There was this odd pipe network, a box of round balls of koi bait and an honesty box for payment. You could buy five balls, put them at the mouth of one of the pipes and try to angle it along the network to reach the end. I managed to pull it off once which triggered a water jet stream across the water.

A neat random game in the middle of nowhere. There still that charm in Japan, but you really have to get out pretty far.
>>
File: file.png (902 KB, 678x904)
902 KB
902 KB PNG
>>46593244
Recently-in-japan anon again, I know exactly what you mean with the buying doujinshi thing. There really seems have been a slow down in the variety of printed doujinshi these days. Most of this stack was older stuff. It's also not helped with the modern trend of people ordering online delivery if not straight up consuming digitally. It was fucking depressing getting to Akibahara and discovering that practically all the doujinshi stores had closed or downsized.

Comic Zin looked like it was suffering under the weight of online orders they were struggling to process.
>>
>>46675521
While translation is the best thing you can do to contribute, it also helps normalfags get into the culture...
>>
>>46502160
It was before globalization

Now it's all gone for good, as Japan gets more standardized
>>
>>46679858
Yes, that is why I like it. I am 100% pro child genitals especially girls.
>>
>>46680126
Is there anywhere I should go if I want to try and find out of print doujinshi while I am in Japan or is everything searchable online? Are there any shops that don't put their stock online that I can seek out any try? Looking for a few things from 2006-2010.
>>
>>46680617
There are still plenty of places for second hand doujinshi, but you sorta need to know the circles to find them on the shelves which are organised by such. Mandarake is pretty decent because you can search their website and find out which stores have what, allowing you to focus on one haystack, or just ask the staff for help.

Otherwise get into Lashibang, Surugaya or K-books and just search the shelves. I haven't figured out if they have online searching which names where items are, or if they are even listed. I'm not otherwise aware of any other stores in Akiba doing second hand doujinshi at present.
>>
>>46680694
I know mandarake, suruga-ya as they are searchable online, will look into the other ones. Thanks.
>>
File: 1712464204468083.png (407 KB, 850x600)
407 KB
407 KB PNG
>>46680602
based
>>
>>46679668
Even the stigma against anime and manga is just as incendiary now despite those mediums becoming more popular than ever. We're not going to see any paradigm shift regarding Western doujin culture anytime soon.
>>
>>46654773
>young otaku
>ikebukuro
More like fujoshits
>>
>>46557960
I noticed this in Tokyo and Osaka. I heard more Chinese than English or Japanese. Doesn't help chinks are loud as fuck.
>>
>>46683163
So if ikebukuro is for fujos and akihabara is for normalfags, where should we go?
>>
Does anyone have the video or know the name of the show (from jp tv I think?) where they put stereotypical idolfags and waifufags in two groups and had them have an argument over who is more delusional?
>>
>>46684452
Isnt that just /jp/?
>>
>>46684869
>>46684452
(It's the idolfags)
>>
>>46684356
Denden Town?
>>
File: 1705836572787712.png (86 KB, 717x587)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
>>46660873
I think the only hope for a KC collab now is Parks since he's a huge history nerd and director the USS Kidd museum. But with Kidd getting ready in the past couple days to be sent to drydock, a collab on the ship would be over a year away.
>>
>>46502304
I've always liked this character design until I tried watching the show and its bird brain tier, I wouldn't let my kids watch it.
>>
>>46685884
I dont know, i dont want westoids and normies, specially from America to get to know KC, they may ruin it just like they are ruining Japan right now. KC EN most have to do a lot of gatekeeping if that happens.
>>
>>46679668
The Satanic Panic was a fully justified reaction to something that was really happening, the role of media in inverting all morals in Western society is undeniable in the face of today's results.
You're still right that Abrahamic religious dogma twisted that justified reaction to worldly affairs into an ineffective superstitious meltdown, having people tilt at (mostly) innocuous things like DnD, Pokemon or Sailor Moon. But I'm not sure whether that's just people being dumb, and that they wouldn't have turned overly defensive anyway.

I guess the conditions for a Western doujin culture in this era were simply not meant to be.
>>
>>46611456
thats literally what the post just said
>>
>>46688764
>The Satanic Panic was a fully justified
t. soccer mom
>>
>>46541007
Korea is one person?
>>
>>46591754
>First we start from blindly loving due to ignorance, and now blindly hating due to being informed. I wonder what the next stage is for humans (the general public who cannot think for themselves)
Apathy, then blind love again, then apathy, then hate. The primal reaction of "the general public" will always slosh between the two extremes over time because new people are born everyday, whose first impact is with the current zeitgeist over that thing, nor do they have any experience to form a nuanced opinion, and until they do, they will contribute to the "general public's" primal reaction.
>>
>>46534755
The main issue behind tourist behavior is luxury and lack of hierarchical order. This is to say, it's sociocultural.
That being said, there's something uniquely terrible, bourgeois, about tourists. They're like immigrants in their shitty behavior, but they're rich.
>>
>>46693393
The best one is.
>>
>>46679668
>>46688764
>>46693226
Normalfags are entirely subject to passions and hysteria, when they're not being apathetic and sociopathic. There is no difference between a Christian mob and a Progressive mob. A mob is a mob. Problems real or perceived are taken into the extreme, or not dealt with at all, with the self-proclaimed justice afforded in the most grotesque of fashion as reflecting the character of the lower orders, or otherwise not at all, or by some lukewarm measure if whatever authority there be has a say.
Without a formal hierarchy, the plebs group into little flocks, as although no person is truly alike, they are yet quite similar all the same, and there is an instinctual need to make for power, for a government by the people needs the people to govern, and there are so many who do not follow the right and proper way, and must be made alike, else they be enemies, and as such we are left with a society at odds with itself.
>The manner of life in such a State is that of democrats; there is freedom and plainness of speech, and every man does what is right in his own eyes, and has his own way of life. Hence arise the most various developments of character; the State is like a piece of embroidery of which the colours and figures are the manners of men, and there are many who, like women and children, prefer this variety to real beauty and excellence. The State is not one but many, like a bazaar at which you can buy anything. The great charm is, that you may do as you like; you may govern if you like, let it alone if you like; go to war and make peace if you feel disposed, and all quite irrespective of anybody else. When you condemn men to death they remain alive all the same; a gentleman is desired to go into exile, and he stalks about the streets like a hero; and nobody sees him or cares for him. Observe, too, how grandly Democracy sets her foot upon all our fine theories of education,—how little she cares for the training of her statesmen! The only qualification which she demands is the profession of patriotism. Such is democracy;—a pleasing, lawless, various sort of government, distributing equality to equals and unequals alike.
>....
>As in the State, so in the individual, there are allies on both sides, temptations from without and passions from within; there is reason also and external influences of parents and friends in alliance with the oligarchical principle; and the two factions are in violent conflict with one another. Sometimes the party of order prevails, but then again new desires and new disorders arise, and the whole mob of passions gets possession of the Acropolis, that is to say, the soul, which they find void and unguarded by true words and works. Falsehoods and illusions ascend to take their place; the prodigal goes back into the country of the Lotophagi or drones, and openly dwells there. And if any offer of alliance or parley of individual elders comes from home, the false spirits shut the gates of the castle and permit no one to enter,—there is a battle, and they gain the victory; and straightway making alliance with the desires, they banish modesty, which they call folly, and send temperance over the border. When the house has been swept and garnished, they dress up the exiled vices, and, crowning them with garlands, bring them back under new names. Insolence they call good breeding, anarchy freedom, waste magnificence, impudence courage. Such is the process by which the youth passes from the necessary pleasures to the unnecessary. After a while he divides his time impartially between them; and perhaps, when he gets older and the violence of passion has abated, he restores some of the exiles and lives in a sort of equilibrium, indulging first one pleasure and then another; and if reason comes and tells him that some pleasures are good and honourable, and others bad and vile, he shakes his head and says that he can make no distinction between them. Thus he lives in the fancy of the hour; sometimes he takes to drink, and then he turns abstainer; he practises in the gymnasium or he does nothing at all; then again he would be a philosopher or a politician; or again, he would be a warrior or a man of business; he is "Every thing by starts and nothing long."
>>
File: Akibahara2000.jpg (83 KB, 500x375)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>46502160
The soul is slowly disappearing from all of the world.
Japan was just the latest victim.
>>
>>46693717
>>46693811
>autistic soccer mom screeching
tl;dr lol
>>
>>46693423
>but they're rich
Unfortunately, that's no longer the case. That might have been true 10-20 years ago but traveling is so accessible nowadays that just about anyone can do it. The Japanese government is actually only just starting to realize this and that's why they are investing in tailor-made luxury tourism since the millions that are swarming the country annually aren't actually spending much per capita.
>>
>>46674482
>anon writes a post about how bad westerners are and how they don't contribute anything while lacking the brain cells required to understand he is part of the consoom-only group

The fuck do you think the AVERAGE nip fan does? Do you think that even 50% of them are creators for anything more than fanart?

>>46675521
Western fans are the only ones that ever make any progress modifying and archiving media, software and hardware because the nips are autistic about it. Any digital archive of Japanese media is full of shit they'd throw a fit about. These are the same morons who get upset if you upload a 30 year old doujin because you didn't get permission first. These are the mogudans who will obey a corporate order to stop drawing porn of the waifu they've kept for two decades because "the studio said so". They will gladly erase their own history should the order come down to do so

They certainly possess a greater creative spark on average, but the difference in culture means they're major bootlickers.
There is a value, to an extent, in the western trendency to not give a single shit, because it's the only reason most of this shit is documented or available at all. Sadpanda's not a Japanese creation, anon. They make, we modify and archive. For good or bad. I wouldn't have an functioning Project Diva arcade cabinet if it weren't for that synthesis.

>spacing
Linebreaks are an important part of the readibility English language. Only ESL turbo-fags claim otherwise.
>>
capitalism is wonderful isnt it? the profits always lay with the mass appeal so all the uniqueness in the world slowly dies out for a single mono brand aimed at the largest customer base - enjoy your asian brand goyslop sir.
>>
>>46701181
I developed and released a touhou fangame myself. What have you done?
>>
>>46700209
The Yen went so weak so fast, people still think japan is rich, they are still in shocked of the reality.
Sad.
>>
>>46702781
I wrote a script to scrape and then archive the swf scenes from lord of walkure and (and later on, osawari island until it became clear someone else had gotten much further than me) before they took the servers down and am working on scanning/digitizing a bunch of PSO doujins from the mid 2000's that don't have uploads or documentation that they even exist.

Definitely got me beat by directly creating something, though. Closest I can get is working with artists directly for commissions at the moment, and that...I guess it's better than nothing, but hardly counts for shit.

Got a link or a screenshot? Not for proof (or to rag on) , I believe you, but I'm always interested in fangames.
>>
>>46703929
>scanning/digitizing a bunch of PSO doujins
That's awesome, do you have anything by Genocide? He had a spats focus which was out of this world. I own a physical of the PSZ one he did which I've not seen anywhere online except on DLsite.
>>
>>46678805
>>46678870
>>46678959
>>46679668
You idiots don't know what the fuck you're talking about. What are fanzines? Stupid genzfags.
>>
>>46678805
>>46674482
Except a ton of western indie comics exist. Granted 90% of them are garbage, but occasionally they'll turn into a media juggernaut (TMNT)
>>
File: j7yatl1w1rsa1.jpg (111 KB, 987x720)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>46704591
>>46705057
>Look at this westoid talking like we care about western shitty comicbooks.

Go back to /co/ where all creativity goes to die.
If you want to help us, tell the westoids across the internet they should start improving both their drawing and writing skills instead of improving the many ways to prevent people for supporting their woked projects just because they want a Netflix adaptation.

We all know high culture western comics died with Jean Giraud just like western animation died with Chuck Jones.
>>
>>46701402
I blame Blackrock for this. For such a progressive western society people claim we live in it sure it feels like most people are a bunch of conformists.
>>
>>46704591
It's not the 80s anymore, retard. Where are the fanzines? Are they in the room with us right now?
>>
As someone who went to Japan in the late 90s and 00s, all the shit about Japan so weird were the same two things or cultural trends which we are nostalgic about like all the gyaru bullshit.

We are also now talking about a country which population is ten years older at average than 20 years ago.
>>
>>46701181
Conversely, Japan has a more flexible view on IP that allows for doujin works to be created in the first place. I think because they realize it encourages an ecosystem of talent to keep the machine running.

Try the same in the west and you're likely to get a C&D for even daring to be passionate about something.
>>
>>46707949
Japan has straight up no flexibility regarding IP, companies just tolerate a lot of shit regarding doujinshi - though many IPs have a rule set what they allow
>>
>>46708583
>Japan has straight up no flexibility regarding IP, companies just tolerate a lot of shit regarding doujinshi
It's both. Shinkokuzai is a thing in Japanese IP laws. The primary owners of the copyrights can still sue someone but they don't because they understand this is beneficial for the new people entering creative works market.
>>
>>46704591
Fanzines?
Really?
That's like claiming video game manuals still exist, Lmao.
>>
>>46708583
>>46709379
Yes, but saying there's flexibility in their view of IP is straight up a lie. There's no concept of fair use in Japan. That's why any american comic/animated show can just have the characters walk into mcdonalds and nothing happens, but in Japan they need to do "WcDonalds". That's how ridiculous their lack of fair use laws is.
>>
>>46558924
saw Japanese vocaloid fans on twitter complaining about how his story impacted the public's perception of Miku there.
maybe people are less weird because they dont want to be nuisances
>>
>>46704591
I think you refer to webcomics? Which most of them are shit and creatively poor and made bad either on porpurse because the artist is lazy as fuck or refuses to learn real artistic skills?
>>
>>46711400
>That's why any american comic/animated show can just have the characters walk into mcdonalds and nothing happens
uh no you can't, that's IP infringement and they will go after you for it. thats why a lot of western shows often have their own in-universe resturant the characters go to. Fair use really only applies in satire or documentary work, where it is actually covered because its a parody or statement on the IP, and even then there are exceptions. Fair use can only be applicable as a defense after legal action has been taken as well, it does not provide protection from legal action. Japan has wacky copyright laws but US's aren't much better. I swear some people have "Japan BAD America GOOD" brain on here and can't handle the fact that they are weeaboos just like the rest of us despite their self-imposed guilt over it, and it leads them to say blatantly wrong things about America's laws they also know nothing about.
>>
>>46715663
Nah trust me there's no country i hate more than america, but it's a reality that the wcdonald/onstagram/twotter/lime etc brand ridiculousness only exists in japanese media.

You can be a weeb and love japan as much as the next guy while at the same time calling out the flaws in their government and their society. It's okay anon, the world isn't black and white.
>>
>>46716029
Uncle Ben die for this
>>
>>46567485
Vaporwqve is not a good use case because it heavily sampes songs to the point where some artists slow down a song and pass it off as their own.
>>
>>46660686
undergroundってどこだっけ?一言のヒントでもいい

Also, how long have you lived in Tokyo?
>>
>>46716029
It seems like you're the only one with a black and white perspective. You can use trademarks and brands perfectly fine in the states, but not if the use is disparaging. That's exactly what the person you're replying to is pointing out, and this is even the case in Japan too under most circumstances. Japan may not have a broad fair use doctrine and have enshrined moral rights for IP, but "WcDonalds" itself is just as much a fair use carveout for parody. We can argue about the approach and whether fair use is a better cultural guide for creation, but you should also ask yourself which of these countries has also inspired a doujin culture prided on remix and transformation, and also which country is constantly relitigating the permissibility of music sampling in fair use cases. Fair use isn't defacto a better framework or the free license to do whatever you want like you seem to think it is.

There's a much easier answer for why brand trademarks don't get used, anyway: product placement brings in money. Why use Pizza Hut in Code Geass, or Pepsi in Tiger & Bunny, if the sponsor will pay me for the privilege?
>>
>>46679668
You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>46693226
Do you know about the Franklin Coverup?
>>
>>46717606
You're missing the point. Corporate japan is bureaucracy hell. If you're Shueisha and want to publish a chapter of my hero academina that mentions mcdonalds you need to ask for permission to whoever owns the trademark. It's corporate culture. You need explicit permission. That's why they resort to parodies.

>You can use trademarks and brands perfectly fine in the states, but not if the use is disparaging
Well duh, no shit. The point is that every case of "parody brand" in manga could be simply the real thing when published in the US because the publisher knows the law and doesn't care and the trademark owner knows the law and doesn't care either.

To give an example, lifetime employment in japan is not a law, but most companies follow it like a rule written in stone and think it would be outrageous to break it. It's the same with asking for permission to use a trademark. They need to go through the bureaucratic hoops even if it's not a legal problem.

The same applies to any other form of japanese media, not just manga. Even youtube videos, if backed by a company and not an independent youtuber (i.e. vtubers signed to an agency) need to ask for explicit permission to use someone else's brand.
>>
>>46679668
You're absolutely right.
>>
>>46718740
>you need to ask for permission to whoever owns the trademark.
Isn't it the exact same in America and pretty much everywhere? You don't see corporate brands without company's approval, when's the last time you saw a Coca Cola logo in something that wasn't sponsored?
>>
>>46718740
>It's the same with asking for permission to use a trademark. They need to go through the bureaucratic hoops even if it's not a legal problem.
There are plenty of examples, manga published by Shueisha or otherwise, that have never gone through this sort of clearance you're describing. Dorohedoro and Nike first comes to mind. Ultimately these are hard to catalog anyway so I don't even think it's worth arguing about, but you definitely don't need to suck corporate cock or be worried about upsetting some suit if you want to invoke a brand or trademark.

>(i.e. vtubers signed to an agency) need to ask for explicit permission to use someone else's brand.
Do you realize how ridiculous this would be if it were true? Corporate Vtubers or streamers et al are perfectly free from both legal and bureacratic shackling you're describing to invoke brands they don't have explict permission from. I suppose everyone gets permissions cleared every Christmas to invoke Kentucky, or for Haato to mention KFCin an ASMR title, or for Kiara to shit on makeup brands.

There are other good reasons why corporate streamers specifically don't always mention brands off-hand, including because it can be considered endorsement (has different legal considerations apart from trademark), draw negative attention (see Mister Donut recently), and again going back to my original point that you can probably get paid to do it when you do work the corporate bureaucracy to sign them as a sponsor.

This has veered way off-topic so I'll shut up for now.
>>
File: 1450020776778743808_1.jpg (360 KB, 1362x2048)
360 KB
360 KB JPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.