[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20211122_184932_419.jpg (109 KB, 1079x1074)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
How to I strip the paint off an old, heavy duty steel PC case? and any tips for repainting it

I have a belt sander, a detail sander and an angle grinder but I legit don't know where to start
>>
Uh, paint stripper

You don't need to strip it to paint it though. Just rough up the current coat, make sure it's clean afterwards and paint. In fact that would probably be best to avoid any incidental rust spots
>>
Paint removal is tedious and nasty so before I got a sand blaster I took my parts to my local monument shop. They all have beastly blasters to cut fresh names in the marble orchard and blast on the side.

Painting frosty clean bare metal is a joy.
>>
File: IMG_0046.jpg (640 KB, 1600x1200)
640 KB
640 KB JPG
>>2773626
I live rurally so I might be able to find someone with a sandblaster, but I kinda want to do this on the cheap

I just need the side panels and roof panel stripped of paint, could I try a belt sander?
>>
>>2773764
angle grinder with wire brush?
>>
>>2773766
I will buy one and try it out, that's probably the best choice, do all angle grinders use the same attachements or does it vary by manufacturer?
>>
>>2774062
Thread size is generally standard. Get the wire cup. Wear safety glasses and long sleeves and don't be the retard who runs it without the guard and no handle because "those are for weak sissy libtards"
>>
>>2773594
I wouldn't use a sander or an angle grinder.
I know I'd scratch it up, and wish I just painted over the old paint.
>>
>>2774075
This. Sanding is going to fuck it up. Angle grinder will fuck it up. Even assuming you're not using a stupidly coarse brush, wire wheels get wire everywhere which I don't know if you know, is REALLY BAD for electronics (and yourself lol, that shit hurts). Just use a green brillo pad on the paint to scuff it up, blow dust off, clean it with a rag and isopropyl alcohol, dry it, tape it off with 3M painters tape if needed, paint it with can of Rustoleum in thin coats.
t. done dumb custom shit before.
>>
>>2775318
What about acetone? Would that be better than isopropyl?
>>
>>2775324
You probably don't need something that aggressive. as acetone.
>>
>>2775324
Depending on the paint (any type that is dissolved in solvent when sprayed), it may start melting it and get all over your rag and hands. Just use isopropyl. Shit's like $2-3 a bottle for 91% at Dollar General. Or like $1.25 for a small bottle of 91% at Dollar Tree (IIRC they now have it). Or whatever way cheaper price Walmart probably has it for.
>>
>>2775324
And trust me, before you ask: acetone is likely not the way to remove it. It's going to be messy and cost you a lot of rags and acetone ($$$) lol. Just use it like you would a primer; brillo pad it and paint over. The cheapie green brillo pad from Dollar General is good shit surprisingly, pretty aggressive. Don't use a lot of pressure, trust me. It scuffs stainless steel with barely any pressure IIRC.
>>
>>2775326
I just noticed walmart sells bottles 100% acetone for nail polish
The isopropyl alchohol comes and goes, sometimes not for sale, sometimes behind the counter, sometimes freely available.
Depends on how much the indians are drinking thaat month.
>>
>>2775340
Every hardware store sells cans of acetone. And it's a lot cheaper than acetone sold as nail polish remover even though it's the same thing.
>>
>>2773594
I would avoid stripping the paint unless there's fine details etched into the metal you want to retain like for example the labels for which standoffs go where for what size board, some cases have those. Depends on the case. Depends what you're painting. Depends if you care.

If you MUST retain those details, CitriStrip has been a godsend for me, though I'm using it to strip the paint from die cast cars to repaint so YMMV but it has worked well IME. May take several applications. My jobs are small so I'm able to leave the cars submerged for hours or even a day to let it really work in. You won't easily be able to do this with a PC case. Maybe put it inside a garbage bag after applying CitriStrip.

Anyway if you can get away with not stripping it then don't. Do like the other anons said and take a medium to medium-fine sandpaper (I'm thinking like, 600 grit maybe) and lightly scuff up the original paint. De-dust. Wipe with isopropyl. You don't need anything more acetone is definitely overkill and might strip paint in some places giving you inconsistent adhesion of the new paint. DONT use an angle grinder or anything massively abrasive. You'll get giant grooves that may or may not fill in with the paint. A good filler will cover them but you may not be going that route and it's just excessive imo.

Mask if desired.

Then from there your finish depends on how hard you wanna go. I'd be going at it with my airbrush with an automotive filler (primer) that matches the general tone of my desired final color, then building my color layers on top of that, then clearing over the top. But you could also just rattle can it. Best to use a warm and dry, well ventilated area and you'll get the best possible finish from a rattle can.

If the case was powder coated you may have a lot more trouble getting a clean strip so again the scuff method should be most universally best.
>>
>>2775704
Reading your reply, it seems like an awesome way to learn, experience, then be able to paint 'real' cars.
>>
File: L80_.jpg (65 KB, 668x1000)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>2773594
paint stripper is the easiest option.
I have an old bottle of the methylene chloride formula Jasco before it got banned in my state, but pic related worked just as well to my surprise. the first coat didn't really do anything, because I didn't realize you can't let it dry out. so bag it up and leave it overnight. I'm convinced the morons on here who bemoan environmentally safe paint strippers are just 80 IQ retards who can't read instructions.
>>
File: image.png (246 KB, 1054x552)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
>>2775704
There's no details to be maintained, it's just a big old metal box of the beige sort. For the moment I've ordered these for my angle grinder but as most here have advised I'll probably try paint stripper first
>>2775992
aight will give that a try first
>>
>>2776777
>There's no details to be maintained, it's just a big old metal box of the beige sort.
So why are you trying to strip it?
Is there something wrong with the current paint (is it peeling or flaking off)?
Or is the case itself rusting, so needs repair?

If the answer to both is "no" then listen to the advice you've been given by at least three other posters: paint the case without stripping the old paint.
>>
File: image.png (904 KB, 841x609)
904 KB
904 KB PNG
>>2776832
The paintwork on it is fine, it's just 22+ years old, I want to remove the pain and repaint it black.

How do I paint over the beige paint without stripping it first? that doesn't seem reasonable, or are you talking about the people who said I should gently sand it down first then put primer over it?
>>
>>2776912
Trade it for a black case or just sell it and buy one. Beige cases are retro cool these days.
>>
>>2776912
stripping is only needed when the old paint is fucked and flakes off,
the old paint will likely be some 2k or burn in stuff that has way better adhesion to the steel than any primer spray can can archive. so scuff it up using a scotch brite and paint over it.

if you have oils or grease on the case wipe it down with alcohol before and after scuffing it.

trust me i paint cars for a living if the oem paint is good and intact it just gets sanded with P800 and painted over it. only if rust is under the paint you need to take it down. or some bullshit hardware store paint is on it.
if you want to do a really good job spend the 25$ and get a 2k spray can you activate in the bottom
>>
>>2773594
Aircraft paint remover from the autoparts store.
>>
File: you are a blight.jpg (16 KB, 251x250)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>2779899
The old paint is perfect and 22 years old, I just want to change it to black since all my 5.25 inch bays are black these days. So just sandpaper that bitch by hand and spray black paint over it?
>>2777467
low IQ response
>>
>>2780301
Why not paint your drives instead?
>>
>>2780515
Because I want to paint the case, I have it emptied out and cleaned up now but I haven't started it yet, I'm gonna start with the plastic front panelling
>>
File: wip spray prime.jpg (388 KB, 1905x742)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
>>2773594
soap and water
dry
primer
paint

if you don't know this I'm leery of your result but I guess everyone needs to start somewhere.
>>
Put the case in the oven at 450 for one hr.
The paint will just dust off
>>
File: dog copter.gif (1.98 MB, 299x299)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB GIF
>>2782786
I'm leery of it myself, so after I clean and dry it no need to strip the paint, just throw primer on top of the coat that's on it?
>>
>>2783051
You keep asking the same question over and over and over.
Do you expect the answer to change? Or is there a specific answer you're waiting to hear?
>>
File: 1694807168751516.jpg (44 KB, 592x592)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>2783332
I keep forgetting the earlier parts of the conversation because they take days between replies and I'm an alcoholic
>>
>>2783389
shame the conversation isn't archived somewhere so you can read back.
>>
File: 1671487321064033.jpg (69 KB, 536x821)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>2783395
I'm not the best planner, as you can probably tell from this thread
>>
>>2783389
Archive each page as you interact with it and drink more.
>>
>>2773594
>pc case
>painted

are you sure it's not powder coat you fucking retard
>>
File: 1703761090640484.jpg (107 KB, 1075x1250)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>2786742
There is no need to be so rude about it
>>
>>2786744
cry more faggot
>>
File: phos.jpg (830 KB, 1600x1200)
830 KB
830 KB JPG
>>2773594
if you want it to last
give it to a chemical stripper, then have it zinc phosphated and have it EPD dipped then paint it with 2k paint of choice and a secound coat of 2k poly urethane clear coat.
>>
File: 1599109176498.png (255 KB, 430x430)
255 KB
255 KB PNG
>>2787714
bruh I can't afford new underpants or a full tank of diesel for my car
>>
>>2787811
Get back to work slave. In the president of hell. You need to be forging more spoons to feed my brave warriors of hell.
>>
I have the PC painted, and now I have a 15 year old i7 in it with 12 gigs of RAM along with a bunch of hotswap bays, took me like 10 days to do it all but it looks nice
>>
>>2789110
>I have the PC painted
You dragged this out for over a month, finally finish, and the photo you decide to use to accompany this post is some actor in A FUCKING TOGA?
Jesus Christ.
Post a fucking pic of the FUCKING FINISHED CASE, YOU FUCKING ... serenity now ... serenity now ... serenity now
>>
File: straight nigga.webm (1.34 MB, 960x960)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB WEBM
>>2789191
Okay I gotta repaint one panel tomorrow because I fucked up, but I'll post a set of pics in the next day or so. I've got a 15 year old i7-950 running in it at the moment with 12 gigs of RAM, which seemed suitable for a 22 year old chassis
>>
File: image.png (819 KB, 548x711)
819 KB
819 KB PNG
Okay this is an old pic of when it was in use back in the day, it was made in 2002 and was in use up until about 2018
>>
File: IMG_0239.jpg (3.11 MB, 4272x2848)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
Here it is now painted all black and with a first gen i7-950, with 12 gigs of RAM and a Asus GTX 1060 Turbo 6gig in it

I recorded the whole process from start to finish so I'm gonna make a youtube video about it in the next few weeks, once I get through the editing of it all
>>
File: IMG_0235.jpg (3.13 MB, 4272x2848)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB JPG
Another random pic from the other side, I suck at painting and the coat isn't perfectly even but imma just live with it now at this point
>>
File: 1685413310316993.jpg (87 KB, 935x1024)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
Not bad bruh
>>
>>2774062
do not use a wire brush you will royaly scratch the shit out of it. you can buy and electric hand sander. don't hold it in one spot too long, the circular ones are the best. you want to keep you strokes even, also fine grade sand paper

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.