[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

noticed the sewing thread was gone and i wish to discuss it
>>
File: needles.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2094)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
can someone help me identify these?
from my research on the left is the tapestry needles and darning needles
embroidery on the right
and next to those are my sharps?
i also have betweens and chenilles in here but i cant tell those apart yet
>>
Anyone join a quilting club or guild? I work from home and never leave my house or socialize but enjoy quilting. I'm not sure if I would enjoy doing it socially and have no idea what the vibe would be like.
>>
>>2757873
Try it? It's not like you can't quit if it's not your thing!
>>
>>2757873
i didnt even know that that was a thing?
i also encourage you to try it and report back your results!
>>
anyone else feel like the quality of polyester thread is very "all over the place"
i got one spool of polyester that snaps and unravels on a whim, but another for 50 cents that was tough to snap and held clothing together
the sad part is that it is common though cheap
so i mainly use it to practice with,
what threads do you guys use for your projects?
>>
>>2757873
my mom was in the quilter's guild when i was little, the vibe was married ladies in 40-65 age bracket gossiping while quilting.
if you are a 30 year old single man DO NOT
>>
Anyone have a ~$300 machine they like? My 70's Kenmore only has outer feed dogs on the bottom which makes feeding stretch material harder than it should be, even with a walking foot attachment.
>>
File: 1707520602318206.jpg (1.33 MB, 2352x1568)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
Can I damage my sewing machine by sewing paper? I like small diy sketchbooks for drawing and making them with a machine (especially with a jeans needle) is very quick and easy.
>>
>>2758343
if its one or two sheets of paper your machine should be fine, i saw that there is a paper that you can sew over and then wash out but i never used it or know its actual name
>>
>>2758238
growing up we had a drawer of every cut off piece of material since 1970, it was very kino. as a kid I would use old tee shirts and try to salvage necks or sleeve hems. today I don't have a scrap of anything, nor even old clothes to cut up.
>>
>>2758343
lol reminds me of when i found a video of some woman using cardboard to practice sewing
>>
i just heard someone say that threads sitting on a spool can get old
if they can get old on the spool, then how come they dont get old after you sew with them
>>
>>2758661
the only issue with old thread that I've had (I got a bunch from gamgam) is that old cotton thread will fray over time on the spool which makes sewing with it harder (thread tension, skipping stitches, etc). So if it's already in the clothes then it's not an issue because you aren't having to actively work with it.
>>
File: 1707950248920.jpg (155 KB, 800x600)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
I wanna make a big zabuton with 5 cm thick foam inside. It would have a zipper on one side for removing the foam if I wanted to wash the cover.

What's the best way to draft this? If I want it to be rectangular and blocky then should I have 5 cm tall strips for the sides instead of just adding that to the top and bottom pieces regular pillow style?

How should I handle the zipper in that case? Do I just put it in the seam of either the top or bottom of one of the seams for these 5cm tall strips?

Bear in mind it will be my first zipper, so it's a bit hard for me to visualize. For some reason every commercial pillow and rectangular item I can conjure in my head had the zipper in the middle of the side, which would require two 2.5 cm (+ seam allowances) strips I guess?
>>
https://www.centerstreetquilts.com/the-hemingway-pouch-supply-recommendations/

I don’t want to buy a pattern and I don’t have a printer. Would this just be a big square or rectangle?
>>
>>2759521
Yes, basically--a rectangle, with a diagonal slice for the zipper, that gets inserted, folded, and sewn down the sides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNvzDElF_T8
>>
>>2758245
He will get gang raped?
>>
File: IMG_20240208_101102.jpg (351 KB, 907x1210)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
Is this fixable ?
It's a Milwaukee backpack if it's relevant.
>>
So no one wants to make the thread proper? OK... guess we got about 3 months before this one dies.
>>
>>2759674
Yes.
>>
>>2759604
yeah mentally
>>
>>2758238
polyester is usually stronger than natural
>>
my buttonhole looks like an axe would now what
>>
>>2760330
wound*
>>
>>2760314
How?
>>
>>2760155
can you elaborate?
i will keep in mind for when i make the next thread
>>
>>2760329
i heard that the quality is all over the place with polyester
i also have an aversion to wearing synthetic fibers because my skin condition calls for natural fibers
>>
Inherited a brother CS600i havnt done anything fancy with it but damn is it easy to use. The needle threader assist is doope. Formerly used a Kenmore 148 which might need a tuning.
>>
>>2760493
I would sew a new 1in nylon strap over/ on to the old one.
Or half ass super glue a patch on the torn area.
>>
>>2761753
>aversion to wearing synthetic fibers
it's just thread though
>>
File: 1681368131747247.jpg (48 KB, 600x315)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
somewhere out there... there are blueprints for a human size/shaped doll stuffed with sponge and wood for a skeleton, and the closest I got is this atrocity. do such blueprints exist? I even remember some anon here on /diy/ promising to make his OC thing, but I think that didn't go anywhere.
>>
>>2762980
what's really fucked up is that's a male skeleton.
>>
File: darn it.jpg (328 KB, 907x1210)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
>>2760493
look up darning dammit
>>
>>2758238
I really like Amann Serabond. It's polyester thread, resin bonded. You can get it down to Tex70 at least. I think that works in home sewing machines? But the larger sizes have more colors. It's like $20 for 6000 yards, and it sews really well.
I also still have some Gutermann Tera (polyester) 40/60/80. Not bonded, but it's very smooth.
I mostly sew stuff for camping, biking, hiking, etc. I stopped using nylon because 'extra stretchy' isn't a requirement, and UV exposure kills it.

>>2758792
I would sew it in the side vs the seam. I assume you're going to use coil zipper tape, not the chunky molded tooth/'athletic', or a metal type. If you put it in the corner, the zipper will want to bend where the teeth join.

It's pretty easy to put zipper in a broad, flat panel like that. Just cut the panel like you would the other side panels (same size, same seam allowance), then cut it in half on the long axis. Sew the zipper in (I like to sew it in on the wrong side, then flip the panel & topstitch). Then because the zip adds to the narrow dimension of the panel, you will be oversize, so re-trim it. When you put the slide in, you just have to make sure the two pieces are aligned within one or two teeth of eachother, that's good enough.
Yes this wastes a small amount of material, but you 100% avoid the problem of making something undersize.

For the blocky type, I'm sure you can find tutorials for sewing a 'box cushion', it's a very similar construction.

>>2760330
Not a very good post.
Did you use a buttonhole attachment? Or just diy it with a satin stitch down both sides?
>>
File: needles.jpg (275 KB, 1600x1300)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>2757815
But why?

You can try identifying them visually
https://www.jjneedles.com/needles-guide

Mostly I learned how to sew with a machine because I can't stand hand sewing.
These days, those needles live in a lead holder, and I only dump them out for... sewing on a button?
>>
>>2763430
>satin stitch
i thought it was blanket stitch
don't know how dense it's supposed to be because fabric is still fraying through
>>
>>2763471
I've never done one by hand--I'm the same poster w/ the lead holder pic. I use a buttonhole attachment & the stitching it creates is essentially a zig zag w/ a very short stitch length.

Are you saying you did yours by hand? Is it set in at least two layers of fabric?
>>
>>2763521
yes
>>
I want to make a tough drawstring backpack for travel purposes, something that would resist being slashed open by a blade. What fabric should I use? Do you think it's practical to use sheathed chain as the drawstring?
>>
What machine should I get for between $1-1,500? The used market here sucks dick so I'm probably going to have to buy new. All I care about is strength and durability, my janome machine's plastic gears I think are finally toast because it keeps slipping and fucking up its timing so ideally I'd like a machine with metal gears if one exists in that price range

Don't need any stitch pattern other than straight and zig zag, don't care about how fast it goes. I sew a lot of denim and occasionally cordura so again strength and durability are what I'm after
>>
>>2764453
Personally, I use a Bernina and it was 700, I do a lot of faux fur, get the 110/18 needles while you're at it.
>>
>>2758245
ngl, i saw a couple of big younger guys in the thrift store looking for knitting/crocheting needles. To make something, I didn't hear exactly. But I hope it's something functional. I didn't get the doilies vibe.
>>
>https://rsnstitchbank.org/
This site is pretty based. I checked one article and the instructions were clear with both step by step images and a video slow enough to follow. Seems like a good reference to me.
>>
>>2758343
If it's a digital machine then no, it'll stop before it breaks itself if you ask for too much force
>>
File: IMG_2570.jpg (336 KB, 1170x1703)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
Does anyone know of any patterns similar to the pic? Specifically, I've been trying to find a pattern that has the same overlay detailing around the bust as I'm having trouble understanding how to execute that.
>>
how come the construction on designer clothing is simpler
>>
>>2759674
If you don't have a "everything's fixable" mindset, you might be wrong on /diy/.
aliexpress.com/item/1005004437263605.html
>>
>>2765410
how do you know it's not done in the simplest way possible
>>
I plan on making neck warmers for some family members from a deceased relatives dress shirts. I’ve only made 2 before with Sherpa, should I stick with that or go with minky? Any suggestions?
>>
>>2757813
Has anyone tried making their own tool bag before? I've looked around, but everything seems to be the same types of bag rebranded or too small to be useful.
>>
>>2766697
Oh, shit, I'm not a sewfag but this is interesting... How hard would that be for a complete novice who only put buttons back on my shirt when they fell off.
>>
>>2767569
Extremely easily. Your could do it with a needle, some thread, and blind guessing on how to do it.
>>
>>2767573
Sewing itself with the needle was simple enough when I was repairing that button, so I guess I could do that with some youtube tutorials.
How do you get fabric for the bag and know how to measure everything and what not? Is there any specific kind of fabric you buy? Are they sold by what? Square metre? Rolls?
>>
how do i keep thread from twisting and bunching up like this?
i think it has to do with the string coming off the roll all twisted and curvey
>>
>>2768344
when sewing double stranded? options are deal with it or beeswax (and then deal with /that/). sew single stranded.
>>
should i get any ol sewing machine for a fursuit
>>
>>2768914
if you're cheap then get any old all metal straight and zig zag machine. Some singer from the 50's or 60's. I got mine for $20 off craigslist and it was fine enough till I upgraded for convenience features
>>
>>2768344
Waxing your thread will help but won't eliminate tangling entirely. When you hand sew, every time you pull the needle through, you twist the needle slightly, which twists the thread and causes tangling, esp if you use a long thread. Use a shorter thread length--18-20 inches (or 36 inches then double over), wax your thread (there's videos on how to do that), and stop after 6 or 8 stitches and let the needle dangle to untwist the thread.
>>
File: 1709825073691.jpg (403 KB, 985x396)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>2763430
Thanks for the tip on searching for "box cushion". I cut my pieces and got to work.

I've just sewn my very first zipper, and I did it "concealed" like it was in this tutorial: https://youtu.be/Gw_40jnjZBE (that music is stuck inside my head from referencing it so much).

I didn't realize though that this way I'd end up with a smaller piece of fabric, unlike what you were talking about...

So what's the best way to salvage this? Sew on a strip for both the top and bottom to make it the same height? Cut a whole new strip and sew this whole thing on it and rip another hole? Lmao.

Also, the video doesn't mention finishing edges at all, so I haven't done that but partway through making this zipper I got concerned about this possible omission. Should I go zigzag everything?
>>
is there any pattern torrent trackers or something like that
i feel like everything is paywalled, how to learn bros
>>
>>2757813
her dress next to that spinning wheel is making me nervous.
>>
>>2769710
google it my guy, there's always a freebe pattern out there.
>>
can you make clothes out of upholstery fabric
>>
>>2771254
Sure. But some caveats--some upholstery fabrics aren't made to be washed, so how do you launder it/pre-shrink it? Will the dyes run? If the back is "rough" can you line it? If it's very ravelly, how do you finish the seams adequately? Has it been treated with a heavy sizing and/or water proofing treatment? Just because it's marketed as upholstery or home decor fabric, doesn't mean it can't be used for garments also. You just need to do a little homework first to see if it's appropriate for the garment you want to make.
>>
how do you get the pro look without serger
>>
Hey /sg/.
I just finished turning some old work pants into shorts and sewing some back pockets onto others and now im up to the stage of patching knee holes. I was using a sewing machine as these jobs are fairly accessible.

When it comes to doing knee patches on rigid work pants, is it best to just put the time in and do it by hand or is there a better way to do it on a machine??

I seem to struggle to get good lines with a machine and sometimes have to start over cause im sewing the pants together. I tried folding the legs up for more access but it's really hard when i make turns to not get caught up.
>>
>>2771959
I open the outside leg seam, from mid-thigh down to about 6 inches above the hem, set the patch, then re-sew the side seam.
>>
>>2771978
Thanks, ill consider this but it may be beyond my skill. The seam on these pants is fairly hefty and im more of a patch em together kind of sewer rather than a skilled one.
>>
>>2758343
Try feeding it manually, and if you feel like your machine is bending and cracking just by turning the wheel manually, it's probably not solid enough for it. Use your sharpest needle if it's not obvious. Paper is tougher than leather.
>>
>>2759674
No. Buy more.
>>
>>2757813
My fiancee recently received a sewing machine as a gift from my mother and i recently realized "holy shit i can fix clothes and replace parts like a fucking machine, I LOVE REPAIR"
Are there any basic resources for starting out with this?
>>
File: ned ludd robo tradie.jpg (158 KB, 977x509)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>2757813
Have i reached the limit of my sewing machine? I'm trying to sew some of that rubberized waterproof fabric stuff, like oil cloth, it's not even thick, but it won't pick up the stitches, tried it on some normal fabric: fine.
tried it on 4 layers of normal fabric: NOT OK.
but it even fails on two layers of the waterproof stuff.
really didn't need this now, i was going to sew something for a camping trip next weekend but i had to leave it to the last moment because other people wanted me to do things for them on the weekend. i am not doing anything for anyone else ever again.
pic unrelated but relatable
>>
>>2759674
yes but with pop rivets and washers.
>>
>>2758238
Gutermann stuff is good but you have to check what country a spool is made in since it can vary by color, so the consistency varies; like, the off-white thread is great but the “blue white” is meh. I mainly use SuperiorThreads So Fine, bought it in a few shades of gray in 3000 yd spools. Very consistent, strong, and slightly finer than most “all purpose” threads so the bobbin holds a lot more. For cotton thread, the cheap Coats quilting thread on the cardboard spool (made in Egypt) is surprisingly good for the price.
>>
>>2773468
Try a heavy duty new needle, longer stitch and looser tension and use a teflon foot.
>>
File: yo reina chan.png (922 KB, 786x1668)
922 KB
922 KB PNG
>>2773604
>>
>>2773604
tried longer statch and looser tension but to no avail, slower speed helped but then i ran out of thread on my bobbin. and forgot how to thread this bobbin. nevermind then, a job for tomorrow =_=;
>>
>>2773939
Rubbery fabric is kind of like sewing leather: it grabs the needle and thread as it passes through and throws the timing off, causing skipped stitches. I’d try either a sharp/microtex needle in the largest size you can get (think a 90/14 is the biggest I’ve seen readily available) or a heavy duty or leather needle that’s about size 16-18. Maybe a very narrow zigzag instead of straight stitch. Could also try silicone oil (or spray PAM in a cup) and dab it on the seam line and needle with a q-tip. Even with my old Singer that will sew heavy materials easily, I have to just turn the wheel to sew it manually to get it not to skip on some materials.
>>
File: nijika dorito.gif (102 KB, 224x224)
102 KB
102 KB GIF
>>2774015
it's too much to do in time, but thankyou
>>
If i want to make my own sewing patterns, which software would you guys recommend?
I tried playing around in Blender with the Seams to Sewing Pattern plugin, and it seems decent but a bit wonky.
all the ones i found with a quick Google seem to be 2D, and for my specific use case (trying to make plushies) a 3D view seems real important.
>>
File: Omar the camel.jpg (122 KB, 768x576)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>2775043
I hand draft on paper. That's how I was taught, so can't help you with software recs. But I have a large list of plush-making resources I can post later if you want.
>>
>>2757813
>op pic
PLEASE tell me that's a male
>>
File: vendo.jpg (102 KB, 750x650)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
I like this thread. Had some limited experienced with sewing with my Speedy Stitcher. That thing is super useful and still my most favorite tool. Now I need to make XXXL cushions for my sailboat. Just made my first "30 minute box cushion" thanks to Sailrite on youtube. I also got this old Vendomatic H778 sewing machine now. Having this skill is so awesome. I am already planning for several cushions for around the house.
>>
>>2775121
>being into tranny men
why anon? Why don't you just get a female?

>>2775147
We try to stay comfy.
>>
>>2757813
Is $150 a good price for the machine in OPs pic? I found a similar one locally for sale and don't know if I'm going to be getting fucked or fucking over the lady selling it.
>>
Got my hands on an old singer featherweight for 75 euros. I never tried one before and I couldn't resist it especially since my dad has 7 Elna grasshoppers he collected over the years.
Took some time to get it working, I noticed after an hour of fiddling that the needle was in the wrong way around (which made me laugh because there were some handwritten notes from a repairman stating explicitly how to put in the needle after he repaired damaged from a wrongly attached needle previously)
It sews so lovely, everything with these old creatures seems to work so well and is easily serviced.
Anyway it also has the buttonholer with it and I thought instead of just fixing old sewing machines I should try making something like a simple button shirt, anyone have an pattern for this that can be done on a straight stitch machine?
>>
File: 1698421139171284.png (77 KB, 347x1300)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
was this project ever finished?
>>
Bros anyone ever build a hot knife out of a single soldering iron? Can a diy hot knife cut through all fabrics?
>>
>>2776458
Hot knives work pretty good on most synthetic fabrics like acrylic polyester and nylon but not vinyl, which is too thick and melts lumpy. Natural fabrics like wool, cotton, linen, silk, bamboo, or cellulose fabrics like rayon burn instead of melting, so use regular scissors for those.
>>
File: PXL_20240305_023544476.jpg (2.84 MB, 4032x3024)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
>>2775147
Hey that's very close to what mine looks like! I love the design of these. This was the first one I got off of Craigslist, and after cleaning and oiling it works great still. These old Japanese machines were rebadged and branded with countless now-defunct names. I wish I could find more presser feet for it but haven't looked too closely either. Does yours have more presser feet or just the one? Almost all aspects of the new Brother machine I have are improved--sews better and has less issues with thread tension, but the presser foot lifter is much more comfortable to use on the old machine. I still use both depending on what I am doing.
>>
>>2757815
I did not even know there were different sized needles for different purposes.
>>
>>2776655
very much so. I work with a lot of faux fur so I use the strongest needle I can get my hands on which is a 110/18. If it goes any higher, that'd be nice. I understand why my MeMaw popped me when I broke one of her needles.
>>
File: smug coffee.jpg (13 KB, 235x265)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>2775121
that's a drawing.
(of a female)
>>
File: 1711434156746.jpg (3.03 MB, 2048x2048)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB JPG
May I please know what kind of fabric this is? I've tried searching and "melange" comes up but I can't seem to reverse search the exact type on picrel. Thank you!
>>
Tried to adjust a hand me down pair of jeans to make them fit me, it was too wide.
Made a lot of little mistakes and it doesn't line up so well, my machine had trouble with the really thick folds in the fabric and I was improvising a bit, also had to do some hand sewing.
Honestly, despite the struggles I was actually kinda surprised how well it fits now and I actually had fun doing it, figuring out what to take apart and how to put it back together again.

I'm going to try some simple things with thinner fabrics though, denim is not something I wear often at all and my little old straight stitch machine can barely handle more than two layers of it.
>>
>>2776016
it's a touch high. still, not bad if it's in good nick and ready to roll. i'd ask her if she'd come down to $100 if it's been sitting unused awhile. less if it's beat to shit looking and hasn't been touched in decades.
>>
>>2776016
Can't you get those things practically for free?
>>
File: P1012182.jpg (524 KB, 2200x1600)
524 KB
524 KB JPG
I had a cabinet come in the mail on Tuesday, and I set about organizing a lot of my small sewing stuff. Huge improvement vs a box full of ziplocs.
>>
>>2779120
You seem kind of serious about sewing, what kind of things do you make?
>>
Is there a red pill for softening shit quality wool? I don't expect luxury softness, just something to take the edge off this wool tunic I bought for larping in my basement
>>
>>2779349
I've never tried it personally, but the usual recommendation is to wash it in something like woolite, rinse, then soak it in cool water with (human) hair conditioner, then rinse and dry flat.
>>
File: ai.jpg (19 KB, 136x512)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2776345
AI predicts it would look like this
>>
File: presser.jpg (1.4 MB, 4032x2268)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>2776519
Cool to see a similar machine, are they all japanese in origin? Must be quality then. Thanks to your pic I can see what the other buttons do. Going to experiment with them now but so far the only thing I really had to get right was the thread tension on the dial on the left. My machine came with one presser foot see picrel. I searched some second hand stores but none of the thingies fit on my machine.
>>
Where should I go to get feedback on what I'm doing wrong in knitting? I'm not quite at that stage. I think my problems are obvious. But I don't want to get stumped.
>>
>>2780466
Local knitting guild?
>>
>>2777118 here
Found the series most of these are from - https://www.etsy.com/listing/590005465/grunge-basics-in-creme-1-yard-by
>>
>>2776016
yeah brand new clone
>>
>fabric bunched between flat felled seams at the armholes
>buttons not 100% aligned with button holes causing front to bunch up
yikes
>>
>>2780722
It happens. Try pressing the seam allowances before felling, using some steam to shrink the allowance a hair, if you're doing a sleeve insertion in the round. I find that flat joining the sleeves for felling or french seams is easier and neater. As for the buttons, it happens sometimes, no matter how carefully you mark.
>>
>>2780757
vertical buttonholes are probably more tolerant of this but you can't put those on a jacket right
>>
File: 20240404_220226.jpg (1.05 MB, 1600x1200)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
Sup sewers I'm trying to blind hem these pants which don't look tapered at all but when I roll the hem up I still get excess fabric which I know will pinch if I sew. How can I even out this fabric?
>>
>>2781940
invest in better needles for starters.
2ndly, iron them before hemming.
>>
File: 20240406_000317.jpg (734 KB, 1600x1200)
734 KB
734 KB JPG
I figured it out, all I had to do was let out the seam a bit at the edge. Thee seam turned out barely noticeable.

>>2782291
Needles as in needles for my machine? What kind should I buy?
>>
Is it worth it bros?
>>
>>2775147
Bros regarding my machine, the motor is weak. I very frequently have to jump start it from frozen with the flywheel. Replacement motor costs 40 euro. Should I go for it or buy a Singer 4423? I got a BIG project coming up
>>
>>2782633
Also wondering how much I need a walking foot.
>>
Reupholstered my office chair. More stapling then sewing though. I got the fabric's pattern centered on the back rest but then I noticed the chair's hardware isn't aligned properly on the seat. Lesson for me is don't use vertical stripe patterns on stuff you didn't make.
>>
>>2784172
Nice, reminds me of https://youtu.be/UR0Sx1DhZJA that I just watched. Got a pic? Im scared of patterned materials for now. Maybe someday
>>
>>2757813
Is there a good place to find basic clothing templates/patterns for retards thinking about starting ?
>>
What are some good stitching patterns for dolls? I'm making one from a pattern I found online, and I don't like how much the stitches stand out. I'm using a backstitch currently. This might also be because this is the literal first time I do something like this, but idk.
Also, how do you hide the...knots? I'm not sure if that's what they're called, but the first knot you do for when double stitching. I'm a filthy ESL so I don't know the terminology in english.
>>2784413
Google and Etsy. I bought a good shirt pattern for five pounds and made it. Then found out I am allergic to the material I made it out of.
>>
>>2782633
I've only heard that singer is shit nowadays, maybe just get a replacement motor
>>
Recs for a half decent serger? Not doing an industrial load so I don't need a $1k+ machine but I'm fucking sick and tired of doing overlock on my shit so it's about time for a serger
>>
>>2784283
what happens if you get the size slightly wrong
>>
>>2782459
nice going anon, well done
organ needles best needles
>>
>>2782633
Clean the brushes in the motor, lube the bearings/bushings. (DON'T USE WD40)
>>
>>2784468
make smaller stitches.
knots will end up on the inside. alternatively, can anchor the thread by making 3 stitches right on top of each other in the same spot.
>>
>>2780159
Yeah models with these castings for the frame were all japan-produced during their big sewing machine boom when they started to overtake Singer. These models were rebadged and branded, with companies like Kenmore and Sears using them in their branded versions, among other companies. I bet we can find presser feet that fit these machines online if we do enough digging, but the basic ones we have will serve ~90% of our needs. The fucking thread tension dial is nowhere near as nice as newer ones. Often for no reason I can observe, I'll have the one on mine just completely bind the thread leading to thread breakages after I stop sewing and begin again.
>>
File: IMG_2292.jpg (1.54 MB, 2951x2707)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
Ok, now what do I do? (I am retarded but somehow had enough money to buy this).
>>
>>2786841
Read the manual as you set it up. Learn how to thread top and bobbin thread. Get some throw away fabric and practice stitching in straight and curved lines. Learn how to wind a bobbin and how to change out the needle. New needle every 8 hrs of sewing or every new job. Congrats! Now practice!
>>
>>2757813
If your machine is not commercial or made before the 80's you are a faggot.
>>
>>2757873
Honestly sounds like hell. I don't know why I would want to do my hobbies around people that will tell me I'm doing it wrong because I didn't buy namebrand whatever.
>>
>>2775120
You should post it anon, I sew fucked up shit all the time (unintentionally)
>>
Where do you guys take your patterns from?

I want to make myself a backpack, but I'm too inexperienced to make my own pattern
>>
>>2788659
Here you go. I used to post this on the /toy/ plush general until all the plushie fuckers took over.
Stitched Safari, Tomomi Maeda
Sewn Animal Heads, Vanessa Mooncie
Anatomy of a Doll, Susanna Oroyan
How To Make Stuffed Animals, Sian Keegan
Soft Sculpture, Carolyn Vosburg Hall
Pretty Birds, Virginia Lindsay
Sewing Tiny Toys, Carolyn Vosburg Hall
Constructing Teddy and His Friends, Jennifer Laing
Big Little Felt Universe, Jeanette Lim
Soft Animals A to Z, Carolyn Vosburg Hall
The A to Z of Soft Animals, Carolyn Vosburg Hall
The Artful Bird, Abigail Patner Glassenberg
The Complete Book of Teddy-Bear Making Techniques, Alicia Merrett and Ann Stephens
>Stuffed Animals From Concept to Construction, Abigail Patner Glassenberg
Creative Soft Toy Making, Pamela Peake
Making Soft Toys for Children, Pamela Peake
Aardvark to Zebra, Lois Boncer
Beyond Bears, Jennifer Carson
Good Design in Soft Toys, Rudi de Sarigny
Modern Soft Toy Making, Margaret Hutchings
>Design Your Own Stuffed Toys, Anne Dyer
The Techniques of Soft Toymaking, Enid Anderson
The Creative Book of Soft Toys, Sue Caitlyn Quinn.
Some online resources:
Abby Glassenberg’s site:https://whileshenaps.com
Diffeomorphism’s various tutorials on Deviant Art, including “How to create a pattern from a reference,” Geometric Patterning, parts 1 and 2”, “Scaling and Printing plushie patterns,” etc.
https://www.deviantart.com/.../475.../patterns-and-tutorials
Sarah Blakey (NazFX) has a significant number of video tutorials on plush making for sale on her Gumroad:https://nazegoreng.gumroad.com
A lot of the books are out of print but come used on various book sites. Tons of tutorials on Youtube, too, for various aspects of plush making. Greentext books are highly recommended
>>
>>2789480
saved/10, thx
>>
I wanted to put buttonholes on my back welted pockets, but the buttonhole lies right next to the back dart. My buttonhole foot refuses to work unless it has a perfectly flat surface, so I'm having to do then manually.

Honestly, buttonhole feet are kinda useless in most circumstances, I'm just gonna get gud at doing then manually with a tight zigzag stitch. Any tips? I also have some dungarees where I've got side buttons, and I'm trying to do those holes by hand, cos getting the foot inside the pocket is really difficult. Yes, I should have done the buttonhole first, but I self drafted them and didn't think that far ahead
>>
File: Plush comp 2021.png (851 KB, 622x979)
851 KB
851 KB PNG
>>2789678
You're very welcome. Happy to try to answer any questions or help troubleshoot if you need.
>>
File: 1668048207642986.jpg (25 KB, 474x473)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2758245
>if you are a 30 year old single man DO NOT
but it’s actually interesting to make things. maybe one of them has a daughter
>>
>>2785499
damn two weeks and not one response
I guess nobody in the sewing thread knows anything about sewing
>>
>>2790700
>two weeks and not one iota of effort before or after asking "hold my hand AND read my mind" tier shitter of a question
>guess it was more productive to make zero progress for a fortnight
>welp time to the ante on the weird hostility by whining insults at people so they'll do what i want
black or zoomer?
>>
File: pavilion.jpg (2.13 MB, 2000x1000)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
i sewed this on a singer 66 treadle, that machine is a beast and i only have $50 into it
>>
Any advice for creating custom fabric? I've heard that spoonflower's print quality is shit so I don't know where else to go. I want to create a rat themed linen toile de jouy fabric. I have no idea why. I just want to. I already know how to create the concept image using photos like these and adjusting the color/scale. But I don't know where to print it. I read that sublimination isn't a good option for cotton fabrics and besides I don't have a sublimation printer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
>>
>>2791012
I've gotten several fabric lengths from Spoonflower--two cotton, 3 Minky--and had no issues with the cotton prints. Print was clear, didn't fade or run when washed. Granted that was a few years ago. A rat themed toile would be hilarious. Don't know of any other custom print companies.
>>
>>2791012
diy block printing
>>
>>2791122
do this but take your digital file to a lasercutter and get it engraved on a block of wood and use that
>>
File: file.png (3.23 MB, 1500x2000)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB PNG
What are some good books for a newfag? I've sewn a few things (biggest thing being pic related), but my stitches aren't that neat, and the end knots are a disaster, so I wanna see what I'm doing wrong. Like, the bowtie, I have no clue how to finish it after getting it on, so if I pull on it, it kinda just gets pulled away, instead of staying on it tightly.
>>
>>2757873
Would a sewing club be a good place to meet tradwives?
>>
>>2772240
>Paper is tougher than leather.
There are a lot of different types of paper. That onion skin stuff that they print sewing patterns on, for example. So thin the machine won't know its there.
>>
I have an old Necchi Nova and have had some trouble with drive bands/belts for the motor.

The multi-pack that singer sells has one that kind of works but is a bit too small and the others are too large.

I assume the next step would be to heat the smaller belt in some way to get it on the pullys and go from there.

Has anyone DIY'd their own belts in a pinch or like how you make belts for foot treadle machines?
>>
>>2791555
Like with anything hobby or club related, generally no, but building up a skill that is useful and having it in your pocket for the right occasion is the benefit.

If it is something you enjoy and want to get better at then you have the benefit of that. And when you meet a tradwife lady who is into sewing or cosplay or recreating 17th cent dresses at a living history museum, then you have the skill and knowledge to intimately talk to them without being a retard.
>>
>>2757873
Oddly enough try and find an anime/cosplay club.

While the members might be cringe, the ones that can actually do things like sew and make their own cosplay will likely be more competent and normal than other members.

Start your own or search at the local library, if your town/county has a rec center, or at a fabric store like Michaels or Joanne fabrics that has classrooms for use..
>>
File: IMG_2331.jpg (1.37 MB, 3024x2462)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
I’m trying to sew a large Velcro sheet into this cordura but every time I try to line it up perfectly somehow it shifts about a quarter inch during sewing.
How can I sew this on perfectly centered?
Right now I’m just starting in one corner and sewing the perimeter.
>>
>>2792312
If you have not already, use sewing pins to hold it into place and then you can stitch without it moving out of place.

If for some reason this does not work you can kind of 'tack weld' where you hand stitch corners, centers, and major parts with an off color thread that you will remove after you finish your main sewing.

But obviously pins work much better.
>>
>>2792312
It's shifting as you rotate the cordura when you hit the corners. This is pretty typical for lg velcro sheets since the back is slick and not flexible. Instead of sewing the perimeter in one pass, which causes circular twisting as you go around, do two parallel passes along the long sides first to anchor the piece. Then either do the short sides, or do the petimeter.
>>
File: 1714233795630848.jpg (1.57 MB, 3024x2462)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>2792312
Sorry forgot picture

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.