[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (176 KB, 420x600)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
i'd like to put together a list of manga to check out where an existing anime adaptation should seriously be avoided. i'm biased towards spending my time watching anime so i usually go for that by default, but it's hard to tell if you're missing out on something good compared to the manga. not so much looking for small issues like "they cut my favorite moment for time" but rather adaptations that leave a bad taste in the mouth on the whole. if a brief explanation of what's inadequate about the anime could be given along with the rec, i'd appreciate that too.
>>
>>1461173
>not so much looking for small issues like "they cut my favorite moment for time"
They cut 75% of the story and randomly stuck an "ending" in like 25% through
>>
Bokorano's manga is better than its anime. For some reason the anime changes the ending significantly, and it's definitely worse than the manga's ending.
>>
>>1461187
Came here to post this after reading the OP subject.
They changed tons of stuff because they thought it was too depressing. Not sure why they adapted it in the first place if they were going to change so much.
>>
tokyo ghoul
the original "tokyo ghoul" is really good (from what i remember) but "tokyo ghoul:re" (the continuation) is almost as bad as the anime

youjo senki
anime is good but manga is even better. it's closer to the light novel and it has some AMAZING art. it's downright gorgeous sometimes
>>
>>1461405
to elaborate:
TG's first anime season was bearable but it cut out a LOT of plot from the manga and the result ended up being kind of disjointed. after that the anime told a different but weirdly similar story to the manga and it didnt make any fucking sense at all and was animated horribly

youjo senki similarly cuts out a lot of the light novel/manga content in its anime. the plot suffers for it but not nearly as significantly as TG

adding to the list:
berserk. several adaptations with issues ranging from ugly as fuck animation to straight up bad directing, or just not finishing the story (not that the manga is complete, either)

insomniacs after school. anime is faithful but the manga has this style where a lot of the story is told through minimal-ish dialogue and lots of beautiful imagery. the anime doesnt pull it off and it ends up just being a slow, boring high school drama

death note. the story up until L dies is mostly faithful (though it's still missing some really interesting elements from the manga) but after that it derails the plot. it tells the BARE essentials for the viewer to understand how the investigation is progressing but it leaves out a lot of manga content that reinforces the conclusions Near and Light come to. Light's death in the manga is significantly more satisfying because the author went to greater lengths than the anime to convince you that Near outsmarted him

made in abyss. it's almost entirely faithful to the manga but it adds a shit ton of self-indulgent monologues which are just fucking awful. the second season, in particular, is unbearable to sit through because 20% of each episode is some character waffling on about how great, mysterious, tantalizing and dangerous the abyss is while adding nothing of substance to the story

watamote. the anime is old and way behind the manga at this point but beyond that, the pacing is dreadfully slow. the manga is pretty fast-paced and funny but the anime drags out the cringe
>>
boruto. the manga is kind of shit, too, but the anime has so many fucking seasons of filler (BAD filler, at that) that you wouldnt believe

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.