[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000098320.jpg (160 KB, 640x1081)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
wow this controls terrible.
>>
>>10918304
More like Crock of Shit.
>>
skill issue
>>
ok thank you for the post!
>>
>>10918304
it certainly hasn't aged well. I didn't have an N64 growing up. I just had a playstation. On the upside I got Crash and Spyro, but there was occasionally shit like Crock of Shit and Crock of Shit 2. I thought the gobbos were funny, but the gameplay was just inferior to Mario and Zelda in every way.
There was a kid at school that really really liked Croc though so we kind of bonded over that I guess. He made his own strategy guides for games that didn't exist, like Donkey Kong Neo and Paper Mario Neo. Like entire notebooks dedicated to ramblings and crayola maps of his dream Nintendo games. And then there was all sorts of obtuse shit like Gex Neo and Croc: Legend of the Gobbos Neo. I asked him if he saw the Matrix and he said that he didn't because it was not animated.
>>
>>10918304
>wow this controls differently to the generic platformers I'm used to, so I'm being filtered.
The Saturn controller is great, and Croc's controls are simple and responsive.
>>
yeah he controls like a literal tank
it sucks but also git gud
>>
I can handle maybe 1 or 2 levels per session before I'm too bored to keep going. One of these days I'll have finished the whole game
>>
A platformer should never have tank controls. It's acceptable in RE because that is a horror game where the point is to build up tension. It's garbage in a platformer where the objective is to jump around and collect things.
>>
>>10918304
None of you would have a problem with the controls if the game starred a sentient tank.
Games are just a series of challenges and systems, and I think it's perfectly fair to change up the control scheme for part of the challenge if the game is designed and balanced around it, even if it's a gimmick like tank controls or only being able to move while jumping.
>>
>>10918583
>None of you would have a problem with the controls if the game starred a sentient tank.
Maybe it should have, instead of store brand Yoshi.
>>
>>10918593
Nintendo didn’t let them make a real Yoshi game
>>
>>10918583
>a sentient tank.
They could have just made Croc walk on all fours desu and the controls would make more sense. I always assumed Croc's tank like movement was because of his crocodile ancestry.
>>
>>10918606
Yeah, no wonder considering what the end product turned out to be.
>>
>>10918389
True, western devs have always been shit at platforming games
>>
I love croc as a protagonist.
I hate Rayman!
>>
>>10918397
> There was a kid at school that really really liked Croc though so we kind of bonded over that I guess.
After u became lovers, did you 2 adopt kids and move to israel?
>>
>>10918583
Exactly. Who decided that all games must have the same controls and play the same way?
Part of the fun with games like Prince of Persia, Alone in the Dark or Ecco the Dolphin was about learning to properly control the characters.
>>10918862
No, it was more like Nintendo wanting to steal ideas from Argonaut's game and putting them in Super Mario 64. They made the same thing with Star Fox 2 and Star Fox 64.
>>
Characters like Laura Croft or Harry Mason should be far more agile than they control, but Croc having tank controls with his stubby little legs actually makes sense. I wonder if that was on purpose.
>>
File: dkkk.png (7 KB, 293x102)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>10919194
>No, it was more like Nintendo wanting to steal ideas from Argonaut's game and putting them in Super Mario 64.
Yeah I'm sure that's the version Croc devs like to tell people. It was probably more like Nintendo looking at whatever tech demo Argonaut sending to them and saying "yeah no".
>>
>>10918304
>waaaaaah mommy, I can't pway tank controls
I'm glad you zoomers keep getting filtered by the classics
>>
I think it's kind of a big problem for a 3d platformer when your character isn't fun to control
>>
>>10918383
Brilliant.
>>
croc
>>
It feels a lot better on the keyboard in the PC version desu
>>
>>10919784
Thank goodness Croc doesn't have this problem. Can't say the same about Banjo Kazooie, zero challenge in that one.
>>
>>10919883
Croc is the most obvious possible example of that problem
>>
>>10919896
How?
>>
>>10919918
Just turn the game on and start playing it lol
>>
>>10919920
Explain it, I beat the game and found the controls great and responsive.
>>
>>10919924
They are responsive and they work pretty good. At least the dpad controls are fine. But it's not fun to move around as croc
>>
>>10919936
Once again, how? The game gets pretty tense at times with platforming, especially in the later stages.
>>
>>10918593
I mean, yeah. I was playing a new game today that's exactly this (Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom) and people absolutely love the tank controls. Presentation is a big part of a game's feel, and a good example of both gimmicky controls and presentation working together is Jumping Flash. Nobody minds that it's a first person platformer because you're playing as a bunny robot thing.

But you see Croc and it's perfectly reasonable to assume he can just walk left or right. Really they could have gotten away with it if they just stuck the guy on a skateboard, but I guess hindsight is 202/20

That all being said, I'm only going to give people so much leway. Crock plays fine for what it is, and removing the tank controls removes the one unique thing about it, even if they make no sense. Same thing that happened to Star Tropics
>>
To be fair it does take an IQ of 100 to understand tank controls.
>>
>>10919009
Yes we lived a good life together but he was killed by Hamas. I looked on Facebook and there was a mix of condolences and River to the Sea memes. Our kids also converted to Islam but they were also killed by Hamas because they were gay. Americans can be so cruel.
>>
>>10918583
not an argument. everyone looks at video games through a progressive lens I guarantee you're not an exception. what do you think of banjo kazooie? you think resident evil 4 is better because you can't shoot and walk backwards? you think buck bumble controls well?

Express to me that you really practice what you preach, old man.
>>
>>10919778
tank controls work in adventure games or a survival horror game to build tension. platformers should first and foremost feel good to move around in, have a certain " joy of movement". what are you going to say next, that racing games shouldn't have a good sense of speed?
>>
Super Mario 64 would not have become a classic if it had tank controls like Agronaut envisioned. This is a fact.
>>
There obviously doesn't need to be any argument, you just turn croc on and move around a bit, and it's like "damn this kind of sucks" and then you play some more and it's like "hmm this is just okay overall"
>>
>>10922765
Controlling croc feels like playing a driving game. They should have just made it a driving game
>>
>>10922890
Recommend me driving games where the vehicle has a zero degree turning circle, can jump around, move sideways, climb, and do instant 180s
>>
>>10922961
Rocket League I think? Not retro.
>>
>>10922961
The worst part is I'm now imagining how fun croc could have been if he had rocket skates and big open levels with ramps. Something that proudly goes all in on the vehicle controls and has fun with it
>>
I wonder if most of the people moaning about tank controls in this game realize that the Saturn and the PlayStation were JUST getting analog controllers in 1997 and a lot of games didn't support them until like 1999
>>
>>10918304
Skill issue and also you aren’t using analog controls.
>>
>>10923157
The analog controls actually suck
>>
>>10918862
Croc is better than any Yoshi game after Yoshi’s Island.
>>
>>10923159
They do not suck and it’s cool you can fine-tune Croc’s positioning with the dpad in analog mode. 3D platformers are overall much looser than 2D, but Croc’s style might have mitigated this if it was more broadly adopted.
>>
>>10923160
I do think that's probably a fair weight class for croc. I heard the wool one was kind of nice so maybe that one doesn't count
>>
>>10922961
>>10923132
If not retro, but it is an answer to your question.
https://youtu.be/2lp_xZRBRCg?si=ao6WHmnLIT2e5T0_

And yes >>10923132 you're right, a tank controls platformer character with rocket skates would be fun, going by how fun this game has been for me

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.