[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 613868-neo_20geo.jpg (11 KB, 400x294)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
As a kid growing up in the 90s, I didn't know the Neo Geo AES existed.

A game console that cost $500 and games that cost $250? Where was all this even sold? How could that ever become a sustainable market compared to the SNES and Genesis?
>>
SNK's primary market was the arcade, this was mostly a side thing for their business as a whole. Pricing the AES too low would compromise their primary market, so they made it ludicrously expensive
>>
>>10918086
I remember seeing them at Electronics Boutique. The games were all behind the counter, they didn't want anyone getting too close.
>>
it was for prosumers, it wasn't meant to compete with consoles. it was intended for people who wanted to play genuine arcade games at home instead of rely on butchered ports.
>>
>>10918086
>Where was all this even sold?
California, to rich kids and manchildren
>>
File: 41dko1pohlL.jpg (17 KB, 432x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>10918086
I just drunkenly bought a Neo Geo CD. What should I play?

I already tried Windjammers, Metal Slug 2. Both are great.

Is there anything else worth playing on here that isn't a fighting game or shmup?
>>
>>10918138
You can find some good beat em ups and a few random sports games. But consider what the Neo Geo is known for.
>>
>>10918086
i knew there was a console but i didnt realize it was just the arcade games at home. i dont even remember knowing about "snk" i just thought the company was neo geo and they made both a console and arcade games like sega.
>>
>>10918086
>A game console that cost $500 and games that cost $250?
I think it was actually $600 for the console and $200 for the games.
>Where was all this even sold? How could that ever become a sustainable market compared to the SNES and Genesis?
It wasn't meant to be competitive. It was originally created as a rental-only unit and then later sold at retail. Most places didn't even bother carrying it.
>>
>>10918138
Some of the puzzle games and a couple of the sports games are pretty dope.
>>
>>10918086
Japan, anon. It was popular in Japan. Same with PC Engine
>>
>>10918138
>Is there anything else worth playing on here that isn't a fighting game or shmup?
I hope you like Bust-A-Move
>>
>>10918086
Pretty sure I bought mine at toys r us

>>10918138
>What should I play?
Something that loads quickly and is easy to beat. If the PSU doesn't shit the bed while loading it'll surely do it within 15 minutes of starting the game.
>>
>>10918086
I only ever saw them at game rental stores, kids would pay by the hour and play it from the moment the store opened to the moment it closed, so the consoles should pay for themselves over time, just like an actual arcade machine.
Not one kid I ever knew had one
>>
>>10918229
I have never seen it for rent. But I did see it for sale at Software Etc.
>>
I only ever saw them in gaming magazines, they looked awesome and were basically mythical to me as I never knew anyone who actually owned one or even saw one in person. I eventually saw a few at game shops in Japan but even over there they seem decently hard to come by, most shops only had a tiny collection of games and a console or two if they had any at all. I considered buying a console but the prices of the games are too retarded and I already collect for PC Engine which has pretty retarded prices in its own right.
>>
Toys R Us in the glass cabinet days.
>>
File: mai.png (1.05 MB, 1058x1503)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>10918086
it wasn't competing with the snes\sega
it was for arcade fags and richfags
it was for the adult market
during its peak era i didn't know the aes even existed
but the "big red" cabs were everywhere
there is still one in disneyland california to this day
>>
File: oh my or oh mai.png (128 KB, 225x729)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>>10918892

Oh my! or maybe is should say "Oh Mai!"?
>>
>>10918086
I saw them at Sears and Toy Works. Some places rented them out too.
>>
Stores didn't generally carry this system. If they did, they had one dusty years-old unit in box behind the glass along with 3-4 games.

It was never really meant for home use. It was designed to be rented in love hotels.
>>
File: mai-kof94.gif (46 KB, 134x192)
46 KB
46 KB GIF
>>10918912
>>
>>10918138
> buys the worst neo geo
nice

>>10918086
i live in australia and only ever saw this system via game importers and mail orders. i don't recall ever seeing it sold in stores. i did have access to a system i could rent from one of these importers that ran a video store. $50 for two days and $100 refundable deposit. game rental was $10 a night. just renting the cunt was fucking expensive. was worth every dollar.
>>
Did japanese have manga cafe type businesses back then? I could really see it being a day off rental kind of thing cheaper than arcades
>>
File: Neo_Turf_Masters_01.jpg (82 KB, 607x446)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>people spent hundreds of dollars to play fucking golf
beyond pathetic you people are nuts man
>>
>>10919315
But considering that's the best golf game ever made.
>>
>>10919352
I've never really understood the hype for Neo Turf Masters.

It's got nice audio and real nice graphics, but is it actually all that fun to play?
>>
In all the years I spent game collecting in the 90s, 2000s, and early 2010s going around to yard sales and thrift stores I never saw one single piece EVER of Neo Geo merchandise. Not even a random booklet or empty box.
>>
>>10919372
I knew one kid who had one, he's half-Japanese and his dad was always traveling over there for business. But he only had like 5-6 games because, even though his dad was wealthy, that's still fucking $1500+ just in games lol.
>>
Although the games were quite expensive I think it is worth noting that Street Fighter II was $100 when it was first released for the SNES. It came down in price quickly, but that shows how expensive the whole industry could be at the time.
>>
>>10919414
It was a sellers market for months because EVERYBODY with an SNES bought it. FFVI / III was the same.
>>
>>10918912
Purinpurin
Purinpurin
>>
File: Sf2sfcproto.jpg (53 KB, 900x675)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>10919414
Street Fighter II was also a large SNES game (16 megabit) for the time. Some of the SFII prototypes even used gigantic dev boards, picrel
>>
>>10919352
ON THE GWEEEN
>>
>>10919414
Toys R Us was definitely guilty of price gouging and Capcom made sure they didn't do that again
>>
>>10919149
me bouncy
>>
File: 3DO.png (1.32 MB, 1820x849)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>10918086
You could get this for $200 bucks more.
>>
I have a neo geo 4 slot with a neo sd and I literally never use it but it’s kino
>>
>>10918086
-All over Japan and Asia. First as an arcade machine (MVS and AES are the same hardware) and rental unit, and then for sale.

-In the USA at some Toys R Us locations, EB games, Funco Land, Macy's, JCPenny, and indie game stores.

-How could that ever become a sustainable market compared to the SNES and Genesis
Because the Neo Geo was significantly better than both systems when it game to 2D graphics and gameplay. The problem was the cost. It was at minimum twice as expensive. So SNK targeted rich collectors and people with money.
>>
>>10920545
If it wasn't for GoldStar I never would have played this piece of shit
>>
File: maimaimai.gif (4 MB, 600x434)
4 MB
4 MB GIF
>>10920513
>>
>>10919354
yeah
but my family was always low-key INTO golf
i have memories of watching PGA on tv with gramps
my pops first arcade cab was golden tee kek
my earliest nes memories were playing "golf" (its honestly not THAT bad)
had marble madness too but golf was comfy

>neo vaporwave masters
i have only played it ONCE on my mvs setup
i was fucking hooked\sucked in immediately
>catchy\decent OST
>cheeseball graphics that are overly detailed\good
>simple\easy mario-golf style gameplay
>quick and dirty pickup and play
>not that serious can stop at anytime
just like my ex gf in all fields except once the pumping starts i never wanna stop bb
>>
>>10919315
I spent $160 to get the mvs cart, the box the cart came in and the little marquee. Worth it since it is fun.
>>
>>10919010
>hey can i beat you in KoF then can you suck my dick?
>>
>>10919315
one good club is already hundreds of dollars
golf is expensive as hell

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.