[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (693 KB, 640x908)
693 KB
693 KB PNG
Did it deserve the hate it got at the time?
>>
>>10917575
Only spastics hated Substance
>>
it's because of Agness Kaku's localization, which is worse than what Working Design did.
>>
no
>>
>>10917575
yes, Movie Game Slop 2 was garbage a complete downgrade from the first game
>>
File: 1686935778826843.jpg (14 KB, 265x190)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
who'd win in a fight - metal gear solid or skeleton jelly?
>>
File: 1693382627344525.jpg (2 KB, 125x67)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>10918071
>the forbidden crossover
>>
File: sub stance.jpg (11 KB, 225x225)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>10917575
How's this joint on the XBOX?
>>
>>10917575
It wasn't hated. It was both highly anticipated and got glowing reviews, its sold 7 million fucking copies and is still talked about to this day. You could argue that kojima was hated since he did get death threats over the raiden reveal which I think is fantastic, guy trolled an entire generation of nerds and deserves respect for that alone.
>>
>>10917575
>Did it deserve the hate it got at the time?
uhhh what?
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1713752428574985.webm
>>
>>10918534
He's talking about the urban legend that people were mad because they actually played as twink raiden when they wanted to play as snake or something.
>>
>>10917575
the hate is part of its charm because the entire point of MGS2 is let go of obsession for Solid Snake and accept yourself
>>
>>10918083
They're kind of the same genre if you think about it.
>>
>>10918540
funny thing about that is kojimbo was trying to get junior high school japanese girls interested in the metal gear series for whatever reason and thus, raiden was born, of course none of the original fans liked it and the girls didn't give two rats asses because they're not interested in playing an action packed movie game about robots and political philosophy.
>>
>>10918131
Revisionism at it's finest.

Yeah, it was anticipated, but everybody was upset about the Raiden swap out for Snake. They didn't
"get it". The fact that like... that was the whole point. Idolizing a murderous puppet, etc etc. It's been explored throughout the years, just look that shit up on youtube.
>>
>>10918125
us version is an early build with some weird differences, i like its boss rush mode more tho
>>
>>10919787
>Idolizing a murderous puppet
kek, filtered
>>
>>10919819
That.. Okay. Yes, I, the one who's played every single game, have been filtered. You got me.
>>
Anyone here that started with mgs2 what did you think at the time?
>>
>>10917575
raiden was horribly miscast and misdirected so all of his scenes fall flat and make him sound like an annoying retard despite being a good VA in a vaccum, the game was unfinished because of konami wanting an early ps2 release so it had barely any content till the re-release making most of the game cutscenes and most of the interesting parts of the final act were things the average american didn't really have context for in the early 2000s
>>
>>10918131
>its sold 7 million fucking copies
yeah and all of these were on release, then word of mouth spread - there's a reason why snake eater features solid snakes identical dad shoving a guy who looks identical into a locker and you know it
>>
I have never played a Metal Gear.
>>
>>10917575
Didn’t deserve the hate it got. It’s still a good game even if it is the weakest in the series.
>>
>>10917575
yes, there was literally no reason to switch to raiden, all the cutscenes and plot points would have worked out fine if solid snake was the mc
>>
best gameplay in the series. who cares about the kojimboslop story lmao. dont tell me you guys dont skip the cutscenes/codec calls
>>
>>10920252
>dont tell me you guys dont skip the cutscenes/codec calls
Of course not. I like that stuff.
>>
>>10918540
i remember hearing at the time people being mad that you play as raiden but how the ended up liking the game anyways towards the end
>>
>>10920252
well the cutscenes and shit are a big part of the experience so no i dont, i mean i did in later playthroughs of course, but complaining about cutscenes in a metal gear game is like complaining about random encounters on a jrpg
>>
No. It's fantastic and it's only issue is that you have to play the original first or it doesn't make much sense. That's not to say that the original is bad or anything, it just makes the game harder to recommend, in the same way you can't watch Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me without watching the series.
>>
>>10917575
people who got filtered by raiden are dumbo normies who never played a sequel to a video game in their life.
>>
File: bear of the year.jpg (182 KB, 500x705)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>10917575
Got it back then, loved it. Just though Raiden was a fag.Which was basically what everyone thought. After the Tanker it was a huge letdown that you would no longer be Snake. Other than that game was boss af.
>>
>>10920252
>dont tell me you guys dont skip the cutscenes/codec calls
I never do that because I am a weeb and focusing solely on the gameplay of this series makes me realise just how inferior MGS is compared to Splinter Cell. Really makes me think that the best games in the series are fucking MG1 and MG2, seriously.
>>
>>10920252
its more like the best engine and soldier AI, but without the extra shit from the re-release after the first couple hours you spend the rest of the game fighting bosses, doing gimmick setpieces and defusing bombs instead of actually engaging with the really cool mechanics that define the tanker and the first bit of the plant
>>
>>10920363
>you spend the rest of the game fighting bosses, doing gimmick setpieces
MGS1 is the same and yet some people wonder
>why is MGS3 everyone's favorite???
>>
>>10919830
I never had PS1, and picked up MGS2 on a whim. I thought it was fucking tits, multiple playthroughs, tried 100% the dog tags but couldn't get past the button mashing with Solidus choking you out. Traded my copy of THPS3 to a friend for his MGS1 and it was pretty tough going back to it. The lack of 1st Person Perspective was a challenge for me. It was a fun game, but I always enjoyed 2 the most.
>>
>>10917575
I was more mad that snake had a mullet and was butt buddies with otacon rather than having meryl around
>>
>>10920451
*I literally didn't know you eventually switch to raiden after the demo part for like 3-4 years
>>
>>10917575
People still played the shit out of 2, it's just the bait and switch to Raiden after being able to play as Snake for a good bit was not expected at all. Especially so because Kojima himself made it his mission to keep it completely secret, right down to having Snake shown in screenshots and videos for Big Shell gameplay.
>>
>>10920252
>best gameplay in the series
MGS gameplay didn't get good until 2006
>>
>>10920368
because the first half of MGS3 is crawling through a cave and the second half is an auto scroller
>>
>>10919823
Nta. Not sure what you mean yet, people were upset that they had to play as raiden but most people just got over it and adapted to raiden. You had to play the game diffrently was the main concern in the circle of people i knew that enjoyed metal gear. Also, which mass murderer in metal gear is your favorite?
>>
>>10917575
Think if the Last of Us part 2 didn't leak, but the entire games media was in on the scam, in retrospect it was awesome, they fake screen shots and out right lied about the game. but then it was seen as more of the same shit coming out of Japan, pretty boy characters like Raiden were all over games and anime in the early 00's, Konami was seem as just following a trend
>>
>>10918540
This is kinda why I put it down and never picked it back up again.
Raiden sucks. Big fat cock. Then he goes on mission. To suck big fat cock. Then he goes home. To suck big fat cock. And doesn't even take a paycheck!
>>
>>10919830
I experienced MGS1 first via its demo, but I played through 2 before going back to play through 1. I was already spoiled on the swap to Raiden before playing, and while at first I found him disappointing compared to Snake, he grew on me, especially after the mindfuck in Arsenal Gear.
That being said, 2's end sequence being so off the wall made me pretty ambivalent to 1's story. To this day I still don't really give a shit about Liquid.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.