[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Forgive me if this is more a /v/ question, but how come the Mortal Kombat series never received the acclaim and legacy that Street Fighter and King of Fighters did?:
>>
You're wrong and I don't forgive you.
>>
>>10914040
:(
>>
>>10914035
Japan never liked MK
>>
>>10914085
Why?
>>
>>10914035
I would think thisquestion is answerd quite simply by just playing MK, it's no whre near as good as SF of KOF in any department.
>>
OP you're going to tear your frenulum baiting this hard
>>
>>10914035
>but how come the Mortal Kombat series never received the acclaim and legacy that Street Fighter and King of Fighters did?
They had their time in the sun but really everything after 3(MK2 was peak) was mediocre. All the other series kept getting better while MK just could never reclaim that magic again.
>>
>>10914035
>how come
Mortal Kombat was a shitty franchise. Its not good, competent or fun games. The MK franchise sold on high marketing budgets and the violence for kids gimmick alone. Much like modern AAA games now.
>>
>>10914035
it was never designed to be a serious competitive game. it was more of just a spectacle. that being said, street fighter and mortal kombat are both household names and barely anyone outside of fighting game autists knows what king of fighters is
>>
>>10914035
It did for a while but they started shitting the bed during the PS1 era with near endless recycling of MK3 and several ABYSMAL products that drove the Mortal Kombat name into the ground. It also didn't help that they stopped releasing the games in Japan after MK Trilogy. Not that they could once CERO showed up...
>>
>>10914143
gore is banned in Japan
>>
>>10914035
is a kusoge and will always be....
>buuut muuuhh blood and gore
if gameplay is shit that other stuff is clearly to distract the player.
>but is better
nope is not, most of the hype and overpraise was because it was the first fighting game made in murrica.
>>
>>10915468
not banned is just gameplay was shit hence nobody liked it.
>>
>>10915468
>gore is banned in Japan
>>
?
It did?
Mortal Kombat was the cooldude.jpg gore fighter that eveybody loved and it was immensely popular, but SF2 dominated in terms of a fighting game. MK/MK2 were there console fighter for anti-weeb North American, is what the non-weeb fighter for a long of Duke Nukem and Half Life players.
>>
>>10914035
MK was popular in it's day, but it was a terrible fighter in actuality. It was a polished turd. People liked the polish, but it was still a turd.
>>
gameplay is ass, it was more about the content
>>
>>10914035
What the fuck are you talking about? It has surpassed both your examples a long time ago.
Did you mean why did it not get accepted by the FGC? That's because they're fags
/thread
>>
>>10915690
Not according to the other guy
>>
>>10914035
Wokal Wokebat was never good
>>10914184
What bait? It’s a meme franchise. KoF and SF2 are still played today
>>
>>10914209
MK9 was very good.
>>
>>10915929
Because it stuck to what it knew people liked and wanted

At least up until the final act when everything went to hell.
>>
>>10914035
Because the more recente games are VERY bad.
Id say its pretty popular here in south american though, even more than street fighter
>>
>>10914035
OP they still make games and have a tournament scene. I don't care for MK but I wouldn't call the franchise niche in the fighting game genre.
>>
>>10916050
KoF is the big one for you guys down there though, isn't it?
>>
File: 184651651326512352.png (296 KB, 500x500)
296 KB
296 KB PNG
>>10915632
>could have used the Japanese manga or Japanese OVA to make their point
>posts a Hong Kong movie instead
>>
Too real
>>
>>10914035
is 32X version the best home port? I feel like nba jam 32X was the best since later systems only got Hangtime, not sure though
>>
mk peaked with the 1995 movie adaptation
>>
>>10915468
>gore is banned in japan
well how about i mention some random stuff to prove how wrong you are.
>Ichi the killer
>Corpse Party
>Onechanbara
>Chaos Child
>Shingeki no Kyojin
>Azumi
>Satoichi
>Kakegurui
i could go on but you get the drill.
>>10916175
yes since it has same gameplay as the original megadrive version which was an improved version of the arcade version when it comes to pure gameplay,snes is a dumbed down version in all sense since is just jump back,get down,jump forward in any level but when it comes to megadrive that only works on the very easy mode only.
>snes very easy : no pattern
>snes all other : 2 to 6 patterns of AI
>megadrive : very easy 6 patterns of AI
>megadrive normal : 32 patterns of AI
>megadrive very hard 128 patterns of AI.
well the difference on processing power,satrun and ps1 have the loading issues.
>>
>>10916175
Jaguar had the best port of Jam, followed by DOS, then 32x. Best MK2 port was PS1
For MK2 I prefer blocking with the SNES shoulder buttons, but 32X is probably close to arcade perfect.
>>
You're still wrong and I still don't forgive you.
>>
>>10916219
Is it better than the Street Fighter/s movies?
>>
>>10914035
Depends on who you ask.
MK is more culturally relevant outside of
the FGC, better sales, more movies, TV shows and the iconic album which put electronic dance music on the map. Like Smash, It has it's own fandom outside of the FGC
>>
>>10914035
I was reading some game magazine from about 1999 saying the best fighting games of all time and they were saying SF2 is still good but MK was only liked for the blood. I think by late 90's the ultra bloody stuff in MK was seen as try hard and cringy so people retrospectively said they never liked MK. Really MK 1,2 and SF2 got scores in the 90's. I do like the series. MK1 is a good beginner fighting game that gives you easy to learn moves and MK2 had the advanced moves and simple combos similar to SF2. As a beginner SF2 is just too much so many people just button bash.
Tekken etc became popular so SF went into the cartoon style niche that continues to be popular.

>>10915468
Samurai shodown is pretty violent
>>
>>10914035
They fucked up so bad with MK3 they had to speedrun Ultimate to fix it. Overall the game wasn't bad but the quality jump MKII had over MK wasn't there and where the fuck is Scorpion and the other ninjas?
The polygon 3D era was the last nail in the the coffin in my opinion.
>>
>>10914035
Debatable
>>
>>10914040
Because faggots like the above took gimmicky shit like blood and killing opponents seriously
>>
>>10916049
I remember those discussions I had with a buddy of mine.

>me: haha yess Cage & Sonya are going to get together!
>MKX showed them divorced -_-

>me: ooooh MKX is going to be about Raiden/Cage/Sonya trying to save their friends from hell!
>MKX skipped all of that in favor of kombat kids.

MK is dead to me, they fucked up too many times.
MKII for life though.

>>10916287
The story is presented better, but both are wonderfully entertaining movies.
>>
>>10914035
The series just wasn't that good after 4.
Every single PS2 release (minus the spin offs but they weren't proper fighting games) was really mediocre and just wasn't that fun compared to games like Soulcalibur and Tekken.
>>
>>10914035
It lost its way.
>>
Pre-rendered graphics are creepy
>>
>>10916098
idk it's all ching chong to me
>>
>>10916067
The "big one" is Street Fighter, for anybody, anywhere.
>>
Tough but fair
>>
It just lost its way.
>>
>>10920439
Then its a good thing MK doesnt use pre-rendered graphics.
>>
>>10921265
yes
>>
File: 78456132546123.jpg (21 KB, 640x439)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>10920515
cool it with the anti-oriental remarks
>>
>>10914035
Everybody beat me to it I'm sure, but it's not really in the same category. KoF especially is barely even relevant outside of Japan. Mortal Kombat was very popular in the west during the 90's along with other western fighters like Killer Instinct, but being that arcades in the west were never as popular as in Japan, the western fighting game genre sort of died. I mean just look at Eternal Champions, never made it past the SEGA CD.
>>
>>10914143
Maybe because it's not Japanese
>>
What happened to Virtua Fighter
>>
>>10914143
Because the MK games are extremely light on gameplay depth, with UMK3 being the exception.
>>
>>10914035
Very popular in arcades. The gore was amusing to a bunch of recently past puberty teenage boys.
>>
>>10914035
I don't know if other anons agree but it seemed to me that MK took itself a lot less seriously than Street Fighter which seems to have divided interest.
>>
>>10916313
>Samurai shodown is pretty violent

WAS, CERO fucked over V and V special, then SEGA made Tenkaichi a g-rated borefest where damage is fucking low.
>>
>>10921942
People moved onto better games. Being "fighting game but 3d" didn't impress on its own anymore, especially when the system is very mid beneath the surface
>>
>>10914035
MK was always more about cinematics, SF was about real gameplay
>>
>>10914143
For one thing, it never got a Japanese arcade release. Not sure why. Maybe Midway couldn't work out a deal with a Japanese distributor, or they just decided the market potential wasn't there.
>>
>>10916287
Yeah the first MK movie is amazing, helped in fact by the smaller roster the 1st movie had, its a movie first and a commercial second, the sets and the enviroments are perfect
>>
>>10914143
Japan doesn't like non-Japanese games.
>>
>>10914035
Anon........Mortal Kombat was huge. Absolutely enormous. You could not escape Mortal Kombat. Just start the OP next time with "I wasn't alive at the time of these games' heyday".
>>
>>10923573
this is just nostalgia talking. I saw the mk cabs at the go kart track where I played arcade games back in the day but that was the limit of my exposure. it really wasn't that big. You're describing it like it's pokemon big, but it simply wasnt
>>
>>10924028
wow, at a go-kart track..so NOT in a real arcade
>>
>>10924150
it was literally a go-kart track with a real arcade inside lol. 40+ cabs easy. any game you can think of that was popular at the time, they had. I first laid eyes on x-men vs street fighter there less than a month after it released.
arcades in the 90s mostly weren't a thing unless they were piggybacked on some other entertainment venue or you lived in one of the largest cities in America. this is more true the deeper into the decade you go.
regardless, none of that even matters, because the claim I was responding to is that "you couldn't escape" mk in the 90s. which is simply not true. you saw it at arcades, you saw the commercial for mk1 on console for the few months it was running, the movies got advertising when they were in theaters. that's it.
you couldn't escape pokemon in 99. mk never came close to anything even remotely resembling that level of popularity.
you're retarded.
>>
>>10924251
>arcades in the 90s mostly weren't a thing unless they were piggybacked on some other entertainment venue or you lived in one of the largest cities in America.
not him but aladdin's castles were in like every mall in america. did you live in rural ohio or something?
>>
>>10924251
>you couldn't escape pokemon in 99. mk never came close to anything even remotely resembling that level of popularity.
Nta but you're wrong, MK was enormously popular in the early 90s. But since your isolated backwater didn't even have an arcade it's no surprise you didn't experience that.
>>
>>10924309
we had multiple arcades lol I just only went to the one I mentioned. You're retarded.
mk was moderately popular. it wasn't some massive inescapable runaway success. good job moving the goalposts tho.
>>
The fact that you fondly remember Pokemin in 99 means you were extremely underage when MK was big in 93.
That or you admitted to being a grown up who liked pokemon.
>>
>>10924028
>this is just nostalgia talking
No, it really isn't. Do you not remember when Mortal Kombat 4 went on tour? When Mortal Kombat was in the news cycle on a monthly basis?
>pokemon big
No, I did not mention the word "pokemon".
>>
>>10925891
no, and neither does anybody else, because nobody gave a fuck about the mk4 tour and mk was literally never in the news that regularly after mk1 got scapegoated by old politicians.
>hurr durr I didn't say
you said mk was "inescapable". the only video game shit that rose to that level of cultural saturation in the 90s was pokemon.
you're retarded.
>>
>>10926121
Anon it's anecdote to anecdote at this point. Just because you don't remember doesn't mean it isn't true. Going to school, telling classmates about fatalities, making up bullshit fatalities with bullshit inputs, pretending to be Scorpion or Subzero or Ermac on the playground; the MK4 tour,
>and mk was literally never in the news that regularly after mk1 got scapegoated by old politicians.
Yes, it was.
>>
>>10924397
>good job moving the goalposts tho.
you're one to talk.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.