[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

From a story standpoint which Is actually better silent hill 1 or 2
>>
>>10912098
Silent Hill 1
Therapist town ruined the series forever
>>
>>10912098
Silent Hill 1
Rape victim characters ruined the series forever
>>
I don't know
1 (and 3 and 4) is about being stuck in someone else's nightmare
2 is about being stuck in your own
to me the concept of 1 and 4 is scarier because it's about guys who end up in hell through no fault of their own. In fact, Harry ends up in hell for doing a GOOD thing by adopting an abandoned child
this feels more, how should I say, nihilistic? Forbidden Siren gives me similar vibes
>>
>>10912126
>guys who end up in hell through no fault of their own
Henry was a hikki who rented the same apartment as a serial killer. The only other scenario that could have happened was him becoming a serial killer himself.
>>
>that screenshot
Holy shit why is this game so fucking good, like I can't even... I don't even have to replay the game itself, every time I think about it, hear its soundtrack or see the screenshots I can't help but wonder how they managed to create something so wonderful. It's literally the best 5th gen game for me and this will never change
>>
>>10912158
Henry was a photographer and his apartment was previously rented by one of Walter's victims, not Walter himself.
>>
>>10912098
>and then... a giant moth appears!
>>
>>10912098
I think the story in Silent Hill 1 is just as good but it really requires multiple playthroughs to completely grasp everything and how it's told. Silent Hill 2 kind of tells you everything during the first playthrough which might be why people think it's so much better and different even though it's really not, but a lot of people don't actually replay games, or even play them at all and will just watch playthroughs on YouTube.
>>
I like 1 the best because of the way the story and locations and monsters and puzzles seem randomly nightmarish until you reach the final parts of the game, particularly Alessa's room where you can examine all the things that gave rise to her nightmares that were being brought to reality by the demon inside her.

I never really played a game like it before, and I don't feel like SH2 quite captured the same feeling. SH1 is full of nightmare/monster versions of real animals and even people, but SH2 feels like it is full of monsters that are totally abstract and only really scary when you first encounter them.

Also, SH1 felt like a cycle.
>snowy/foggy Silent Hill
>rainy/dark Silent Hill
>Otherworld Silent Hill
>[wake up & repeat]
Harry explains it best by feeling like he's been dreaming or gone crazy at first. It's like he is trapped in an endless nightmare cycle (just like Alessa), and the times when you only have to deal with the fog start to feel comforting in comparison to the darkness and Otherworld.
>>
>>10912098
Most people are going to say 2 and with good reason. I have no stopped thinking about 2 since I played it a few years back.
But SH1 has a phenomenal story and I think they're equals. Can't choose one over the other. 1's story to me is far scarier and ominous while 2 has a really sad story. Connected strongly to both.
>>
>>10912098
Silent Hill 1 and it's not even a contest.
>>
>>10912490
I LOVED that aspect of SH1. The town is scary at first and you hear that siren and don't know what's happening and it's terrifying. You go through the school and think it's scary until you get to the actually horrific version and when the boss is defeated and that noise plays and everything goes back to "normal", but now suddenly that's comforting? Holy shit that was so cool. I was like "thank goodness it's just snowy out with some demon pterodactyls."
>>
>>10912441
It's another thing borrowed from Phantoms.
>>
>>10912098
2 because I can fantasize of facing my childhood fears of horny milfs and lolis
>>
>>10912530
Ben Affleck was the bomb was Phantoms. snoogins~
>>
>>10912576
ironically affleck was the worst thing about phantoms, but maybe that was the joke
>>
>>10912582
right before saying that they dismiss Good Will Hunting as something they thought was lame, so I think that probably was the joke. Kevin Smith sucks now but in the new Jay & Silent Bob they reference this by saying Affleck was the bomb as Batman.
>>
2 by far. Both are great games overall though, but the cult story is uninteresting at best
>>
>>10912162
Limitations of the PS1 hardware is what made SH1 special.
>>
SH1 has the edge on story. That one part with Lisa is pretty fucked up, you know the one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDgjTP8fuz4
I like that SH2 has a similar "realization" like this near the end of the game though.
>>
Is it even the real lisa? Is this lisa just a version alessa created? It's why she doesnt know or remember what has happened to silent hill
>>
>>10912719
I assume Alessa pulled in the real people that were closest to her during her nightmares (Kauffman, Dahlia, and Lisa) while causing the rest to vanish from existence when she cut off the town from the outside world. Harry and Cybil were both traveling into Silent Hill at the time, arriving along with Cheryl which triggered the nightmare and was right before the streets were destroyed to prevent anyone from leaving or entering.

Alessa's mind linked the drug addictions that Lisa and the rest of the hospital staff had to the effects of mind-controlling parasites have on insects and wildlife. So when Lisa started to go through withdrawals and wanted the drug, the nightmare gave her the "drug" she wanted which was a parasite.
>>
>>10912719
imo lisa was killed by kauffman (this is what she is trying to remember) and haunts alessa's otherworld like walter's ghosts haunt his
you can see kauffman and lisa fighting in the intro cutscene, probably because she no longer wanted to take care of alessa and kauffman couldn't bribe her with PTV anymore, so he killed her
she started bleeding from her head so maybe kauffman shot or hit her in the back of the head
>>
>>10912876
>PTV
What's that?
Lisa was being controlled/bribed/blackmailed with White Claudia. Kauffman and Dahlia had been spreading the drug around the town to fund their activities.
>>
>>10912884
PTV is the drug made from white claudia
>>
For as much as people praise 2 and it's symbolism it's really the kind of stuff that only makes any kind of sense after you beat the game and got the big info dump. Yeah it's pretty apparent that James ain't well in the head but the big reveal at the end could have just so much have been anything.
>>
>>10912162
For me it's 70s-80s American horror with Japanese sensibilities that makes the setting very unique and interesting.
>>
File: 1658591911860712.jpg (312 KB, 650x938)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>10912098
Kino Hill 1 obviously
Reddit Hill 2 pseudo-2Deep4U x Meleodramatic Lynch ripoff was a complete disaster and it's negative consequences not only on the horror genre but all of gaming is still prevalent till this dat
>>
>>10912613
I like the cult stuff. And I also like how SH2 handled things. I can't see any good reason for why one would really be so much worse than the other, they're just different.
>>
Anyone who thinks 2 is better than 1 is a contrarian retard
>>
>>10912098
Silent Hill 2.
I always forget the plot of SH1.
I remember the car crash, missing daughter, and the reveal that Harry died and this was all a dream.
None of that cult shit is memorable or even good in my opinion.
I choose not to remember the ghosts, the invisible force fields, the magical pyramid that shoots spirit arrows...
Just rewatched the cutscenes at 2x speed and the parts of the story I had forgotten are basically:
>daughter is actually Alessa, town is her nightmare, she's going to birth the anti-christ.
I like SH1 almost as much as SH2, but not for the story...
>>
>>10913846
Yes, you learned a new word. Very nice! Next try learning what it means.
>>
File: VideoTapeLoc.png (610 KB, 890x834)
610 KB
610 KB PNG
I think both are pretty good, but SH1's narrative unravels in a more weird and cryptic way. It feels like as the series progressed they tried downscaling the storytelling to probably satisfy players who only do one playthrough. Silent Hill has been beaten by people who genuinely didn't understand anything that happened, endings like the bad ending are purposely underwhelming in order to encourage the player to try again. You can miss a lot if stuff in SH2, but overall I think after one playthrough you'll get the general story, its endings are also designed to all stand on their own beside the obvious NG+ joke endings.
>>
>>10912098
SH1 is more scary at 240p with unfiltered textures
>>
File: sh1.jpg (160 KB, 1047x708)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>
>>10912098
Easily SH2
>>
Speaking strictly in terms of story, yeah, I'll have to go for 2. 1's cult thing is just... eh, at least to me. Never been all too interested in that kind of stuff, and I think it could have done without, like how the suffering of the child was enough to draw in some evil force or something.
And while my first playthrough of 2 really floored me, mainly due to life circumstances at that time, I think about 1 more often because it's both comfy and uncomfortable at the same time.
>>
>>10912098
2 without question. Unlike 1 it actually had some ambiguity to it so common to the great works of art (twin peaks, donnie darko, jaccobs ladder itself) and it dared to touch the subjects that are like never ever touched in video games.

The final... boss is infinitely more memorable than the one in SH1.
>>
2 is one of the top 10 best video games of all time. 1 was ok for it's time.
>>
>>10912158
>Henry was a hikki who rented the same apartment as a serial killer.
Anon, unless you believe in bad feng shui, it shouldn't matter who previously rented the apartment.
>>
>>10912098
2 but 1 had a better atmosphere and pacing.
>>
File: #1 Dad.png (15 KB, 510x546)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>"SH1 is about a cult"
Is there an easier way to identify a brainlet? It feels like since SH1 simply mentions a cult exists idiots decide they're hugely relevant to the plot despite them literally never appearing once in the actual game.
>>
>The existence of an organized group that deals with supernatural forces means the themes and plot entirely revolve around them
>>
>>10915937
Dahlia is a cult member and I guess Dr. Kaufmann is too but that's it. I think most of the criticism comes from people who just prefer 2 and need to attack the other games to make 2 seem better. You rarely hear anyone criticize the cult plots in the other games without trying to say 2 is better.
>>
>>10916029
The whole situation in SH1 kind of reminds me of that X Files episode about the town run by a cult of lapsed Satanists who get btfo when the devil shows up for real. I bet Kaufmann and maybe those other two guys who were in Alessa's room were fucking shocked when all of Dahlia's crazy bullshit turned out to be real.
>>
>>10916054
I was watching X Files on TV recently. I like the MotW episodes but got bored of the other ones. I haven't seen that episode but it sounds interesting.

I think it's kind of like that. He says he expected to gain power but didn't want things to change that much. Kind of like Vincent in 3 who was more interested in money than the spiritual stuff.
>>
File: 227.png (591 KB, 1280x719)
591 KB
591 KB PNG
>>10916070
It's a Season 2 ep called Die Hand Die Verletzt. Great episode with some pretty graphic stuff for a mid-90s TV show.
>>
File: 1714731690175155.gif (500 KB, 130x172)
500 KB
500 KB GIF
I prefer the way 1's story unfolded, but 2 hit me much harder. Wouldn't knock anybody for choosing either one.
>>
File: sh1-cult.png (570 KB, 1440x936)
570 KB
570 KB PNG
>>10915937
>despite them literally never appearing once in the actual game.
>>
I like 2's story far more but 1 has far better gameplay.

An inverse of how I usually feel about the first and second games in a series.
>>
>>10912098
2. It's a game that sometimes gets a lot of underserved hatred just because it's well renowned or because later western devs keep trying to ape the same story beats with this "town therapist" idea but also a lot of its praise comes from people who've never actually played it, they just saw a video about it. That being said the story is great, I think it helps that it feels a lot more personal as well as the backstory regarding Mary is far more likely to happen to any of us than the events of SH1 which certainly helps drive the story home.
Plus that final letter reading always makes me teary eyed.
>>
File: 1700753553270533.jpg (33 KB, 657x527)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>10913105
>You like this widely acclaimed game? Hrm. Unfortunately, I've pasted a crying basedjak and typed "Reddit" onto the cover
>>
>>10916326
Kaufmann just standing there
>what the fuck have I gotten myself into I just wanted my drug money
>>
>>10916474
>widely acclaimed game
by jornos and posers
real horror fans recognize Reddit Hill 2 for being the weakest Team Silent game
>>
>>10916535
I think Dahlia was able to show him that this god she worships really exists, but she never told him the part about how Paradise will involve turning reality into a neverending nightmare and (probably) sending the cultists straight to Hell ("Paradise") when killing them. He never trusted her fully though because he kept not just one but TWO containers of aglaophotis hidden from her; she found and destroyed the one in the hospital but never knew about the one hidden in his motorcycle's gas tank.
Alessa accidentally stopped Kaufman from vanishing with the nightmare's arrival due to her only having extensive contact with Dahlia, Lisa, Kaufman, and hospital staffers when she was in her coma. The moment he noticed things were fucked and this wasn't what he was told would happen, he tried to get the container in the hospital but found it smashed.
>>
File: 186.jpg (26 KB, 553x553)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>10916716
Another post full of great arguments to sustain your position, very useful contribution
>>
>>10916797
Shut up!
>>
>>10912098
Silent Hill 1 is the only good Silent Hill game.
>>
Do people really enjoy one entry and bash the others with zero irony? Imagine not finding all the Team Silent games (except maybe 4 which is good in spite of its stock sound overuse and mid-game pasta) to be stone cold classics and being this oppositional-defiant. We were lucky to get different takes from extremely talented devs.
>>
>>10916934
This.
Maybe we should also argue about architecture? What is better, doors or windows?
>>
>>10916934
Yeah I noticed it happening with DMC as well. The fanbase was kind of stagnant and built of people obsessed with just SH2 or DMC3. And those people would bash the first games in their echo chamber and forgot they're just opinions. Then both series got new blood playing the games for the first time and you saw more people saying the first games are still great.

It always makes me giggle a little bit that SH2 doesn't focus so much on the cult plotline but that SH2 fanatics were in their own little cult.
>>
>>10913983
It would have been nice if cybil felt more real, I really never bought her at all
I wish they had developed the drug stuff in a later game, in sh1 it just feels like a silly jap drug cliche but it could have been developed into being a serious part of the "mythos"
Maybe someone tried I didn't play anything after 4
>>
>>10916961
Terrible comparison. Windows are clearly superior.
>>
File: FeK_9eDXEBMr6qU.jpg (187 KB, 1999x1207)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
i love all those initial 4 games, but i just enjoy 1 the most because i think it actually does the best job of actually being a horror game.
it's a pretty unique experience even in it's own series.
>>
File: jYsh1.png (168 KB, 1007x434)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
>>10917036
If windows are so great why don't we use windows as doors?
>>
where the fuck is screencap fag, I want to play SH1 again.
>>
>>10912098
I would say SH1 tbqh. SH2 is a lot better for the feels though. Both games being the best in the franchise.
>>
File: 2lz6ldvx5hd51[1].jpg (34 KB, 353x767)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
I don't know why I cared more about Cheryl in Silent Hill 1 than Mary in SH2.
>>
>>10917475
Mary is a non-character, she's the princess in another castle.
>>
File: 028c[1].jpg (12 KB, 350x263)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>10917475
Harry made you care
>>
>>10917475
We never got to meet Mary or understand how James truly feels about her until the very end. What you are lead to believe is an idealized lie of how James imagines Mary.
We never got to meet Cheryl either but Harry, from the start until the very end, is constantly showing genuine concern about Cheryl and his only motivation (again, even at the very end) is getting Cheryl back.
>>
File: 24.png (1.05 MB, 1281x6118)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>10917113
>screencap
you mean this? this is the latest one i have, not sure if it's been updated since.

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

>SH2:EE project's home page:
http://www.enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
DON'T use W10's own virtual disc app! It will not work.
Don't install under C:\Program Files\ ! This will cause issues.

For SH2, follow the instructions on the Enhanced Edition homepage to the T, and you should be fine.
The "Enhanced .EXE" is also the no-CD crack.

For SH3 & 4, check the Guide or PC Gaming Wiki.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
I recommend the DuckStation, which is modern and easy to use, but most emulators work OK as well.

>Protips
-Play in the release order.
-Start with Normal difficulty! Don't do hard on 1st run (espec. SH2).
-Replaying them all is recommended; tons of replay value.
-Turn down the ingame Brightness setting, for better gamma & colors!
-Don't try to kill everything that moves, especially outdoors. Leg it, or sneak!
-Turning OFF the flashlight can really help w/ stealth!
>>
>>10917686
thank you, I had some serious SH craving.
>>
I don't give a fuck about James, and even less about Mary, just whack that bitch with a pipe.
>>
>>10916029
>Dahlia is a cult membe
*Was
>>
>>10912098
I like both but SH1 has a more solid writing. The main reason why people remember SH2 more fondly is because it has more memorable moments.
SH1 has a pretty basic premise but it quickly does a great job at being engaging and mysterious enough, it has great characters like Alessa and Dahlia and there is a good amount of little details that add a lot to the story and characters.

SH2 is iconic and the story is fairly good, but I think it has more flaws than SH1.
In my opinion, the characters is the most obvious flaw. Sure, they are interesting, but there is a lack of contrast between them. There are 6 (or 5, if you count Mary/Maria as one) characters: James, Angela and Eddie are people with tragic stories who ended up murdering someone, their circurstances are different but they are written using the same resources, Maria and Mary don't share the same past as the other three and didn't commit murder, but they are also tragic characters. So much tragedy and sad backstories makes the player get used to it, so it gets to a point in which nothing is surprising, which isn't good for a story, let alone an horror/mistery one. Laura is the only one who offers a real contrast between the characters and we don't know much about her, she's almost there just as a tool for Mary's story. Compare that to SH1's cast and you'll se the difference.
There's also the fact that every character in SH2 is unlikeable. Even Mary and Laure are protrayed as such. SH1 offers a balance between likeable and unlikeable characters, which is always needed.
>>
>>10917105
There are glass doors that TRY to be windows! Checkmate.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.