[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

The 90s was arguably both the peak of PC gaming and console gaming and also the decade where they were at their most different.
PC had primarily turn-based and real-time strategy games, city building/management games, computer RPGs, and first-person shooters (Examples: Civilization, Age of Empires, RollerCoaster Tycoon, Fallout, DOOM). Console had mostly fast-reaction action games, especially platformers and run n' guns, as well as Japanese RPGs (Examples: Super Mario World, Gunstar Heroes, Final Fantasy VI). Basically PC games = more based on mental skill with the obvious exception of FPS, console games = more based on physical skill and reaction times with the exception of JRPGs which are a simpler version of computer RPGs (not a value judgement).
Which style do you prefer?
>>
I prefer idort
>>
>>10911326
This.
I don't. I played all three. There's no fucking war here. Play games, enjoy games. What the fuck even?
That's truer today than ever when PCs literally ARE consoles of the 90s as well. I literally have Retroarch next to DOSBox and UT99 and Q3.
This thread has no real purpose. Even if someone has a preference towards one or the other... yeah and? Are you doing a demographic study for some shit? Where are you going with this?
>>
>>10911347
>>10911341
It's not that deep I was just interested
The platforms had so many differences in game design philosophy that kind of went away as time went on into the 2000s and 2010s and the platforms got more homogenized. I see on /v/ 3x3 threads that people still usually gravitate towards "PC type games" or "console type games".
>>
>>10911326
Civilization, Age of Empires 2, RollerCoaster Tycoon and Doom all had console ports.
>>
>>10911387
But they're PC games primarily
>>
In the 90s PC was always the better choice for hardware... but it cost ALOT..
However consoles had the superior softwares. There were plenty of cool PC games but they were designed around mouse and keyboard. The consoles were easier to develop for having static hardware and expansion capability.
>>
>>10911685
>The consoles were easier to develop for having static hardware and expansion capability.
Kek, no.
>>
>>10911693
While some consoles were nigthmares, the period between 1995 and 1999, with its 4-5 competing graphical instruction sets, was a low point for PC development.
>>
>>10911326
Your opening statement is why one would pick both back in the 90s. Not like now where the genres are shared.
>>
>>10911326
i'd say they are complementary and i enjoyed both just as much. i never was into JRPGs though.
>>
>>10911326
not because of those kusogeit was because PC got flavor something current pc don't have.
Wanted a unique keyboard no big deal you had dozens or hundreds of types of keyboards.
Wanted a mouse unique,you had hundreds or thousands of them some even similar to arcade sticks.
Wanted a screen you chose what you wanted and then install the specific driver of the monitor and adjusting those super resolutions up to 12k x 8k (unlike now).
Wanted to customize your OS and make it more futuristic no big deal you could do it (some of us modified the whole windows XP kernel up to the desktop).
>>
when do you guys think the PC permanently overtook consoles for both exclusives and multiplats. I think late 7th gen is when PC multiplats where better in every way than their console versions with no exceptions. 6th gen and early 7th gen PC multiplats weren't that good. they either looked like shit or were poorly optimized.
>>
consoles were always useless devices they were cool and had a purpose in the early 90s when PCs still couldn't render graphics properly and C64 looked like shit compared to NES, but by the mid-90s the PC was capable of rendering great graphics and by 1998 permanently overtook consoles in graphical prowess. it's stupid to have a separate device to do what a PC is already capable of doing.
>>
>>10913894
Up until (including) the 6th gen, architectures were way too different for easy porting, hence corners had to be cut.
By the late 7th, PCs got better at multicore processing, meaning the PS3 Cell (and X360's Xenon) architecture could be (at least partially) replicated via multithreading. And from the 8th onward it doesn't matter anymore, since PC has "won" the "console wars", and 2 out of 3 consoles are now HTPCs on the inside.
>>
File: Console vs PC.webm (2.99 MB, 608x448)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
>>10911326
>PC had primarily
no
PC always had games of all kinds and there wasn't a "primary" focus on any particular genre. Those you mentioned in that point were not as available or viable for consoles, but they weren't the only kinds of games on PC.
> PC games = more based on mental skill with the obvious exception of FPS
There have always been way more action-based kinds of games on PC than just FPS, even in genres you seem to think are "exclusiveâ„¢" to consoles
>>
>>10911347
Back then there kinda was

Saturn got crapped on by the PC games for 98-99. I think that's why it didn't do well it was a mix of ps1 lite and 32x gen games

Pc was already putting out great fps games and was a lot more popular. Saturn had a few ports, racers (good) and shmups but everyone was busy playing gta2,blood,unreal mutliplayer pc then so it got ignored (at least where I was it did
>>
>>10913894
>when do you guys think the PC permanently overtook consoles for both exclusives and multiplats
Intel Core 2
>>
>>10911326
>Basically
Bascially PC games = games for adults and late teens
console games = games for little children who still use diapers

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.