[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: MiSTeX.jpg (114 KB, 587x693)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
The MiSTeX project (Basically, a project to create a successor to the MiSTer with a more powerful FPGA) hit a lot of progress lately. The first core was posted to it on May 1, and by May 4 there was 47 working cores running on it. There is a new framework too to allow cores to be compiled for multiple FPGA platforms at once.

Xilinx's FPGAs are currently a bit focus for the MiSTeX. They should be on par with around the MARS/Replay2, at least, there are models of FPGAs from Xilinx that are that powerful without costing significantly more (Possibly even less) if that's what they are running these cores on.
>>
I don’t fucking care. I can emulate all this shit on a 20 year old office PC for free.
>>
>>10910014
Prove it.
>>
File: ok.jpg (58 KB, 531x531)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>10910014
>>
Is there any other boards that have the io potential of the de 10 nano?
>>
>>10910014
quit posting here, those no-intro fullsets aren’t going to play themselves
>>
>>10909934
>another potential future fpga device
oh god i wish someone could just come out. i hate how theoretical and probable these all are
>>
at what point will we have emulation that's good enough that people don't feel the need to pursue greater accuracy?
>>
>>10910063
Give it a year from now:
Replay2 is working with Intel on finalizing an board
MARS is supposed to debut at TooManyGames in June.
>>
File: 1612901668247.png (754 KB, 885x885)
754 KB
754 KB PNG
>>10910086
Autism ensures that this point is never reached
>>
>>10910095
Also the cheaper DE-10 clone board is planned to come out at the end of this month
>>
>>10910086
If you don’t have crippling autism then we reached that point on emulators running on Windows like 10-15 years ago.
>>
File: MetalNES.png (1.1 MB, 2382x1746)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>10910114
Maybe once we have quark-accurate emulation. Currently we have barely started emulating transistor-accurate emulation.
>>
File: 1702831708369.jpg (196 KB, 1170x1158)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>10909934
Just buy a Pi with composite out
>>
>>10910086
At this point, it's mainly speedrunning autism that's pushing this, since they're the only ones who care if one frame is slightly inaccurate.
>>
>>10912075
It's definitely NOT speedrunning autism because those fucks are real hardware purists.
>>
>>10910120
a lot of games on their leaderboards allow emulation though, i can't think of any that are still segregated
>>
>>10909934
>Basically, a project to create a successor to the MiSTer with a more powerful FPGA

It’s about running the MiSTer framework on other FPGAs, it isn’t meant as a successor.
>>
File: RKA.jpg (3.85 MB, 3200x2400)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB JPG
>>10912025
The output's not the cleanest but a bunch of people seem to think that's a plus
>>
>>10909934
the fpga cant even do the c64 sid chip. might as well stick with regular emulation since fpga is just as shit
>>
>>10913517
I refuse to believe the SID is truly un-emulatable, just that the real thing never sounded alike even in like-versions that no one can agree what the 'correct' sound actually is
>>
>>10913517
There are literally FPGA-based drop-in replacements for the SID chip, what do you mean the FPGA can't emulate the SID?
>>
Other than future proofing, what are the main pros about moving to a more powerful FPGA? Dreamcast? More powerful arcade and PC cores? It seems that the de-10 is pretty close to encompassing most of what is possible/worth doing with FPGA anyway.
>>
>>10910060
Lol what's your point supposed to be? Like people playing on an FPGA aren't using roms.
>>
>>10913792
>t. rom hoarder
>>
>>10913823
Nah I have a curated collection of roms. I play too many systems to have full sets.

I'm just saying, people use roms on FPGA too, if you don't like people have full romsets (for whatever reason, people get their shit in a knot over the weirdest stuff on this site) that has nothing to do with software vs FPGA emulation.
>>
File: IMG_6638.jpg (485 KB, 1179x586)
485 KB
485 KB JPG
>>10910014
what a mongoloid
every single time we have one of these threads it gets derailed
by people who:
>never used fpga
>dont have a mister
>cannot afford a de-10
> literally do not know what they are talking about

you would think this board would be ALL ABOUT 100% accurate hardware emulation/autism

but instead they seethe like imbeciles
the de-10 is my favorite computer i ever bought in my entire life
>>
>>10913929
The mister is just an emulator flashed to hardware for less lag/OS overhead. Lag you can make up for with a decent display + VRR + 1 frame ahead. It can be just as a fucked up as any emulator, if not more, as we've seen. The one benefit is agnostic peripheral/original controller support via snacs. That and we might see emulation progress backported from it because its getting so much soibux and support.
>>
>everyone who paid out the ass for a complete MiSTer now have an outdated and soon to be unsupported piece of shit
thanks for beta testing!
>>
>>10913929
There is zero benefit to paying for an autistic FPGA whatever over just emulating on a PC.
>>
>>10914585
Soon to be unsupported lmao, just showing you have no idea what this topic is about.
>>
>>10914585
If MiSTer becomes unsupported than MiSTeX does too, because it’s the same thing you dummy.
>>
>>10910014
Based!

>>10909934
I won't be paying for overpriced hardware to emulate old games.
>>
>>10914585
Indeed. Makes me glad I invested in and built a gaming PC than buy a gay ass FPGA device.
>>
Wow suddenly I love Retroarch thanks to software retards in mister threads!
>>
>>10913762
>Other than future proofing, what are the main pros about moving to a more powerful FPGA? Dreamcast?

Yes

>More powerful arcade and PC cores?

Yes, at least arcade, not sure if we can do Pentium or any type of 3D Accelerator without a significantly more powerful core.

>It seems that the de-10 is pretty close to encompassing most of what is possible/worth doing with FPGA anyway.

We have definitely hit limits. On top of 486 with no FPU or 3D Acceleration being the best it can do and Dreamcast being a total no-go even N64 is not 100% possible (mostly due to memory timing) and there are a few key games that crash on the core that don't appear to be solvable without a better setup.

>>10914556
>Lag you can make up for with a decent display + VRR + 1 frame ahead

Run-Ahead is not a magic bullet and in many games can introduce even more issues. It's also not feasible to do past 4th gen.
>>
I am convinced that the people who are most vocal about their excitement for this FPGA stuff are the ones who play the actual videogames the least. I love the idea of these all-in-one solutions but it's just not happening anytime soon.

I'm just bitching to bitch but a couple weeks ago I drunkenly gave this guy five bucks to play the arcade version of Splatterhouse on my Pocket and it had godawful sound issues that have somehow been unreported for half a year.
>>
>>10914836
I’ve been playing my mister regularly and pretty much exclusively since I built it six months ago.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.