[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Jak & Daxter was originally a 3D open world Crash Bandicoot game. Sandover Village could have been filled with a friendly version of the natives from Crash 1. Jak spins like Crash. Eco power-ups could have been masks. Keira is a young female mechanic who builds large devices and vehicles for Jak, just like Coco Bandicoot does for Crash.
>>
>>10909048
isn't there actually a 3D open world Crash game? I think it had a bunch of different tiki in it? I played it on PSP but it got ported to PS2, because I guess it was just really good.
>>
>>10909048
It's an incredible shame that the platforming in Jak isn't close to the quality of Crash, and that it doesn't properly have equivalents of gem or relic challenges, instead only being able to poorly ape Banjo while having much weaker and less memorable levels.
>>
>>10909075
>less memorable levels.
Absolutely untrue.
>>
>>10909118
Compared to Banjo, are you serious?
>>
>>10909075
There's barely any real platforming in Jak aside from the final level but that's what collectathons usually are like
>>
>>10909187
Jak has frequent platforming, more than something like Banjo. I'd say it's more a platformer than Sly and Ratchet 1 certainly. It's just not a very compelling game sadly. I am curious about the sequels.
>>
File: Hunter_PS1_webp.jpg (158 KB, 403x594)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>10909048
My own schizo theory about Spyro 2 is that Hunter was initially written to be a spy working for Ripto, which was to be revealed at the end of the game, but Insomniac bailed on the idea at last moment.
>He's the one who lets Ripto in the first place
>Argues against bringing in a dragon
>"I uh... got a little lost." in Glimmer, was him actually meeting with Ripto after the Glimmer intro. He says it in a way to make it blatantly obvious to even a child that something's up with him.
>His cover is to pretend that he's an idiot
>Sits on a huge stash of orbs throughout the game
>Drops power-ups right in front of Ripto during the final battle
The devs probably didn't like the idea of such a betrayal, but half the cutscenes were already made with him acting suspicious, so they just decided to keep him as an idiot canonically instead of revealing him as a traitor.

>>10909072
it's still sort of linear, but Crash Twinsanity was the first Crash platformer where you were free to explore the whole world instead of using warp rooms. if it was a psp port, then you likely played Crash of the Titans or Mind Over Mutant.
>>
>>10909048
I was sure there was something in an old interview that said it started as a Crash game but I can't find it.
>>10909380
I like this actually.
>>
>>10909380
ill add two more things to the Hunter theory. In the post-Glimmer scene where he's acting the most suspicious, he's sort of taken aback when Elora tells him Spyro will be helping them collect the Talismans. It's a bit hard to hear, but he replies "...he is?!" in sort of a gasp.

Then there's the scene in Winter Tundra, where Ripto steal the power crystal and Elora tells Hunter to do something, but of course he doesn't attempt anything against his real boss. In contrast, he immediately topples Moneybags at the end of the game as soon as Elora asks. It's not really the most fair comparison, but Hunter is fast (he's a fucking cheetah), so there's no reason why he couldn't have stopped Ripto after he had picked up the crystal and put away his bomb.
>>
Nope. Naughty Dog was absolutely done with Crash after CTR. Jak and Daxter does share similarities, but it was never designed to be Crash.
>>
>>10909328
>It's just not a very compelling game sadly
I disagree, the thing that makes Jak work is how goddamn good the controls are.
>I am curious about the sequels.
Perfectly good games but i dont know what the fuck the devs were thinking with Jak 2's difficulty.
>>
>>10909048
I would try Jak and Daxter if the character designs were not so bad.
Besides they all wear sandals while some chars.have weird proportions.

Same think with Ratchet and Clank, I cannot stand that green dude with the big chin.
>>
>>10909048
no its just influenced by crash
they knew they weren't working with universal after ctr and wouldn't have access to the crash license
>>
>>10909165
You know what? Yeah. Yeah, I am serious.
>>
>>10910189
>I cannot stand that green dude with the big chin.
>>
>>10910189
>>10910859
why do western devs love ugliness so damn much
>>
>>10909048
I have a few:
>Golden Sun began life as a Shining game that SEGA pulled the plug on
>When Darkstalkers 4 was cancelled, its plot and characters were pasted into Marvel vs. Capcom 2
>The Virtual Boy was intentionally bad as a way for Gunpei Yokoi to burn all ties with Nintendo before leaving
>Kirby's Dreamland 3 was meant to contain an additional world, as evidenced by the fact that Coo has no partner NPC, the "Blocky" miniboss only being at the end-of-game boss rush, and some filename inconsistencies
>>
>>10911749
Because it is funny and memorable.
>>
Wizardry 4's fucked up puzzles are not intentional, but a result of having Scorpia as their beta tester, who would ask the programmers for the solution to the puzzles then say "Yeah, that's totally fair" despite being completely unable to solve them naturally. She then told the devs "Yeah man, those puzzles are totally doable by players without help!", and the game was released in that state. It was supposed to be hard, not unfair.
The multimedia era of videogames wasn't a result of devs trying to experiment around with a new medium, but a combination of lazy devs and the desire to hang with hollywood types. Let's face it, it was a lot easier to program a 2-hour long game and record a bunch of videos to play in-between gameplay sequences than to program a 40-hour long sprite-based game that used unique graphics for every single character and level.
Rise of the Robots was actually a money laundering operation. I find it impossible to believe anyone on the development team played their own game for a minute and thought it was going to succeed. I find it much more likely some organized crime group thought up a plan to use videogame development to disguise money moving around. Slap out some CGI renders, have an amateur programmer create his first fighting game, hype the screenshots up with the press to make it look like there's a reason for all that money being involved, then "oops, the game was a flop, all the money is gone".
>>
File: Untitled.png (538 KB, 786x550)
538 KB
538 KB PNG
>>10909048
thailand was meant to be a level in THUG2 at one point given that they make reference to it in the story as a side stop on the way to australia and even includes snapshots of what happens during that side stop.
>>
>>10909072
Crash Twinsanity is semi open world.
>>
>>10911749
They're designing them as wacky cartoon characters
>>
>>10911749
It's a cartoon, retard.
>>
>>10909398
I definitely remember reading something somewhere about J&D originally started as a Crash 4 but they dropped the idea when they lost the rights to Crash.
That 'interview' about them selling Crash isn't true btw. There was someone internally that leaked online WAY back saying that Sony tried purchasing the rights back from Universal but they wouldn't play ball. They even offered money but said no constantly. But I cant find the interview anywhere. It must've been scrubbed and wiped from the internet.
>>
>>10911749
Because its fun and beats animeface#75820048 anyday.
>>
Nothing will ever convince me otherwise that part of the reason Nintendo never fully bought out Rare was because the heads of the jap division felt jealousy towards this foreign company that held so much popularity to the point it was starting to rival their own big IPs and how much the N64 success came from their games. With the launch of the GameCube, they probably saw it as a new era, a clean slate. Every other western studio they worked with after was much more firmly under their thumb and direction.
>>
Okage Shadow King on PS2 is made of remnants or ideas from Earthbound 64/Mother 3. I fully expect the credits to contain some overlapping faces.
>>
>>10916875
>Goldeneye, a licensed game with no marketing budget, based on a movie that came out 2 years before it released, outsells Ocarina of Time and every other Nintendo-developed game on the platform that doesn't have inflated numbers from being a pack-in title
you might be onto something
>>
>>10916878
you keep saying this, so do the actual research and make a fucking infograph already
>>
>>10916875
people were speculating on that years back but anytime it was talked about, it got shot down or pruned, or flooded with ""tendos"" going full ericmode. some loser in their hr definitely doesnt like being reminded of that truth.
>>
>>10916851
Seriously. Anime girls all look the same.
>>
>>10909380
>Crash of the Titans
I doobie leave that is the correct game I'm thinking of. Like I said it was about a bunch of tiki and was all open.
>>
>>10918241
0 IQ post
>>
>>10916851
>>10918241
https://animegirlsexpression.ytmnd.com/
>>
>>10909072
Crash of the titans?
>>
>>10916851
It's not one or the other kind of thing. There's so many more options with design.
>>
>>10920754
Not that guy, but for some reason Mind Over Mutant attempts to be a semi open world.
>>
>>10920848
I remember playing it as a kid and having fun exploring the world. It was fun seeing it change over the course of the story, too
>>
>>10910189
>I cannot stand that green dude with the big chin.
Captain Qwark is a shithead for most of the trilogy, so his design is actually perfect.
>>
>>10910859
>>10921272
It's actually impressive how they managed to make him look like someone who can pass as super charismatic, yet still have a super punchable face.
>>
>>10913970
>and some filename inconsistencies
Very interesting. I may have noticed this back in the days, but it's been so long. But, filenames?
>>
>>10916875
Ehh, if I'm not mistaken, Rare was bleeding talent since after Goldeneye 64. By the time of the Gamecube, the staff had changed a lot, it wasn't the same and Nintendo didn't feel like it would be worth it at the time, which they were partly right because what the studio went on to make under Microsoft is very middling, but they didn't think hard enough about the long run, because the N64 emulated library is really kinda sad without Rare's games
>>
Gon's damage animation on Tekken 3 is the same as Jin's therefore Jin trained Gon
>>
>>10923054
The stuff Rare made with Microsoft was still at the equivalent of Retro Studios on a technical level and better then the other western studios that would work with Nintendo.
>>
>>10923486
Sure, the games looked great on a technical level
But are they great? Barely anyone anywhere talk about them
The Banjo racing game is usually thought to be extremely meh and disappointing
I'm pretty sure the last time we had a "Grabbed by the Ghoulies" thread here, everyone was shitting on it
I haven't seen anyone mention Kameo: Elements of powers for like a decade+ on the net
Microsoft somehow managed to censor Conker even more
>>
>>10923908
Thats literally because they are on xbox.

Guarantee if Ghoulies, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts were on gamecube and wii that we would have people praising them still.
>>
>>10918241
I don't want to scare you, but you might have a problem if you cannot recognize the different styles.
And who decided that everything must use realistic aesthetics or cartoon aesthetics?
>>
The reason nightdive likes to remake everything they can in their engine is to avoid paying royalties to some of the original dev. "Nope, sorry, your work didn't get used, nothing for you!"
>>
>>10913970
I believe the reverse for the Virtual Boy one. Yamauchi rushed it so that Bandai would think Yokoi lost his touch and not trust any of his ideas for the Wonderswan.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.