[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Literally irrefutable
>>
Then what's the point of this thread?
>>
>>10905992
I don't give a fuck about the vast majority of these shit games.
>>
>>10905992
>missing dozens of games
>order might as well be random
>irrefutable
What has your Third World shithole ever brought to the genre?
>>
>>10905992
It's missing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, which should go on the top.
>>
>>10905992
I'd put Quake 2 higher but that's because I'm not a zoomzoom and I played the game when it was new and active, and all of the mods like Rocket Arena 2, Gloom, etc. and active competitive 1v1 match servers that were up at the time made it good. Now if all you have is the base game it's not very good. I also think Blood and Shadow Warrior were better than Duke3D because they used the same engine but were more refined gameplay experiences. I'd also put Heretic 2 and Hexen 2 (as single player experiences, mp wasn't as good except in the Heretic Fortress mod for Heretic 2 when the game was active) up at B
>>
>>10905992
Doom ahead of Doom 2? Mate, just fuck off.
>>
lately I've been trying some FPS games and I noticed they are all fundamentally flawed.

3rd person action games often get criticism when the camera doesn't show where the enemies are, or your vision gets obstructed by a wall or you get attacked off-screen. but these things are all pretty much a given in any FPS game

should've just stuck to rail shooters.
>>
>>10905992
So what is irrefutable about:
>doom 3 is being decent
>daikatana is better than u2
And yeah, redneck rampage is a shit game, maybe the worst on the list.
>>
Putting Redneck Rampage on the same tier as Blood and Shadow Warrior deserves to be punishable by some cruel and unusual way.
>>
>>10905992
not bad. painkiller and wolfenstein 3d need to move up to B. UT2004 up to A. Hexen down to C. Counter-strike 1.6 obviously S.
>>
>>10905992
>he plays boomer shooters
lol lmao
>>
>>10906278
Do you realize you are posting on /vr/ right now or your brain fried from trying to shit out a witty post?
>>
>>10905992
I’d bump Undying up, replace DF with DF2 and bump that up. But yeah, this is a phenomenal list.
>>
>>10906295
We actually discuss good old games here, that's the reason boomer shooters have thier own contaiment board fuckwit.
>>
>>10905992
Blood and Duke Nukem are S Rank, also no Halo and Halo 2 at all?!?!?! Lol....LMAO even.
>>
>>10905992
I enjoyed playing thru painkiller years ago and wouldnt mind doing it one more time. Still love me doom 1&2 and its one of my goto games. thousands of wads to play so its always something new
>>
>>10906336
>seething so hard he can't even type correctly
grim
>>
>>10906006
>missing console slop
>>
>>10906336
>rrrreeeeeeeeeee
Okay man.
>>
>>10905992
Not too bad, but I would put Serious Sam and Alien Trilogy a bit higher.
>>
>>10905992
I enjoyed Unreal 2 at the time and only found out later that it was one of the worst games ever made, weird how they turns out.
>>
>>10906497
And yet Turok is there.
>>
File: 1555862944292.jpg (51 KB, 500x500)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
I have not played a single one of those games.
>>
>>10906668
Me neither. Frankly I find these school shooter simulators to be irredeemable artless garbage and I'm sick of zoomers spamming them on this board.
>>
>>10906668
i only played half an hour of Doom 1 then dropped it because it fucking sucks, it that slop is considered the peak of the boomer shooter genre than i can only imagine how shit the rest of them are
>>
>>10905992
>Shadow Warrior
>C
>>
File: 1325829335448.jpg (188 KB, 602x792)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>10906345
>also no Halo and Halo 2 at all?!?!?!
>putting a 2 weapon regen slow as molasses game into the ranking
Halo kiddies need to stop thinking they matter
>>
>>10906663
This. Turok 1-2 were console games only ported over a year after respectively to the PC.
>>
>>10906753
5/10 bait
>>
>>10905992
Doom II should rate as high as Doom 1. If anything for the fact that most Doom mods and levels are for Doom 2, even if you preferred the level design of 1. 2 is mostly just more of Doom 1.

It sure wouldn't be below Duke.

Doom 3 shouldn't even be higher than F tier.
Painkiller should be closer to the top.

Quake 3 should also be S tier. Because it and Quake are the two best multiplayer titles but on different strengths. Q3 is basically the most balanced arena shooter and just works on every level. Quake 1 is just speed and adrenaline but level design heavily makes or breaks it because it's not balanced and level design needs to reflect that fact.

Half Life is more mid, like high C low B tier.. UT2K4 is a better game than UT99 in basically every aspect except not running on taters and having CD keys. Otherwise, the gameplay was vastly improved in 2k4 - hit boxes for headshots were still sort of broken though.

Wolf3D should be like D tier. It may have a place in my heart for nostalgia as the first legit decent FPS game (not counting weird ass commodore 64 shit or arcade shit like Battlezone)

Shadow Warrior should be lower. Sin should be lower.
Daikatana had decent multi - but it was a shit bug fest and should be lower.
Unreal II should actually be more like C tier.

Marathons, RoTT, and Turok should be lower.
>>
>>10906785
Oh yeah and blood should be lower. None of the Build games are better than Duke, most of them have significantly worse balance and design issues.
>>
>>10906006
>Goldeneye and Perfect Dark
F and D rank respectively.
>>
>>10906781
i am a zoomer
>>
A
Goldeneye 007
B
Black
Hexen 2
Halo 2
Call of Duty 3
C
Halo
Killzone
>>
>>10906776
This criticism always confuses me. Doom and Quake are basically babies for fps as well but people never stop jerking them off
>>
descent I & II are s-tier
>>
File: marlon-brando.gif (1.99 MB, 498x378)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>10906742
>blames zoomers for all ills
>>10906753
>blames boomers for all ills
>>
>>10906785
Half Life is mid? Go to v you're a disgrace.
>>
>>10906813
>AGBBHHCCHK
ok
>>
File: 1537716783803.gif (148 KB, 500x333)
148 KB
148 KB GIF
>Unreal in D
>>
>>10907693
You have autism!
>>
>>10907763
Unreal is fucking crap. Great atmosphere and music, shit everything else.
>>
>>10906497
>Doom 64
>>
>>10905992

Awful, just awful.
>>
>>10905992
>irrefutable
There is nothing to refute, except for the taste of the tier-maker, which is irrefutable by definition unless you have a mind-reader
You need provide an explanation for each and every choice, then we can have a discussion.
>>
>>10905992
There's some stuff in your C and D tiers that I'd definitely rank higher.
>>
>>10906038
I hope you find your missing chromosomes, anon
>>
>>10905992
I played through Quake's single player all the way through for the first time last year and while I greatly enjoyed it, it's not S. Maybe low A. The second half of the game's levels really felt tacked on in design, and the expansions were hit or miss.
>>
File: 1520198060756.png (40 KB, 800x732)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>10908212
>>
>>10905992
S - correct
A - sure why not
B - hexen is C tier at best
C - redneck rampage is F tier, everything else sure why not
D - sure why not
F - sure why not
>>
>>10905992
>Dark Forces to B
>Doom II to A
>Shadow Warrior to B
>Blood to A
>Rise of the Triad to B
>Quake III to B

otherwise perfect list
>>
>>10905992
I'd put Turok up higher, along with Shadow Warrior and Doom II.
>>
>>10905992
>Doom 2 being anywhere but D
>Blood being anywhere but A or S
>>
>>10905992
I generally agree, except for hexen. I just don't get it at all. why does it appeal to people
>>
>>10910603
I'm not a fan either, but I still respect it and see why people enjoy it. It's FPS royalty for sure, but not one I go back and play in honesty.
>>
>alien trilogy above Hexen 2
Hexen 2 isn't bad why the fuck is it so low
>Heretic 2 but no Heretic 1
>>
>>10910603
It's more exploration based than action based. Think of it like a Metroid Prime.
>>
File: 1692433958359977.png (65 KB, 342x245)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>10905992
>Quake in S tier
Nah, I don't care about "Muh first Carmack 3D FPS". Literally every game in your A tier is better than Quake
>>
>>10911131
Zoomers should be euthanized
>>
>>10907324
You heard me. Imagine thinking a buggy mediocre game with broken hittreg in SP of all things and large swaths of poor design and bad AI isn't fuckin mid. The only reason it's even mid is because there's considerable effort in the actual levels and the weapon feel, sounds, and movement itself are competent.
You can fully bring a shotty double blast into an hECU gut point blank and do zero damage. You can play on easy - HECU hitpoints 50 - double shotty 12x5 = 60 damage. They can even take shots like that up to 3 times. How you gonna have an 50 health enemy take up to 180 damage to the gut and say that's working properly?
Name another game that does that. Guarantee you it's gonna be a shit game. If any other game without marketing and memes built on it, it'd be mostly relegated to the shit pile.
GoldSrc and Source have been historically trash engines that have been problems for the games up and down.

See, unlike you I'm not just riding the bandwagon - the game objectively is fucking mid tier shit on it's own merits. How about you go to back to /v/ and circlejerk with TF2 and pretend that shit isn't awful.
>>
>>10911158
didn't read
zoomers are so broken
>>
Undying is a weird case of a game being both overrated and underrated at the same time.
Like yeah, it deserves more attention for great atmosphere and mixing spells and guns long before Bioshock and Borderlands.
But it has so many problems including bugs, shitty revolver, poor feedback on the bosses and sudden cutscenes that lock you out of the level.
>>
>>10911164
>zoomers
You gen betas are fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>10911158
>TF2 and pretend that shit isn't awful.

Get to whatever Zoomer/Beta tiktok thing you do and fuck off this board. You know so little about FPS I recommend you start with Doom and come back in 2 decades. Fuck me.
>>
>>10911195
No U.
>>
>>10911195
No investigation, no right to speak.
>>
>>10911204
Have you actually played Half life and TF2, be honest.
>>
>>10905992
>Hexen II
>F tier
Why not just say you only know the game from memes?
Besides that every single game is in the wrong position.
>>
>>10911131
You're a zoomer who never played Quake when it was a highly popular online game.
>>
>>10905992
Quake 1 is shit. No matter what everyone is saying.
>>
>>10911210
Gibberish
>>
>>10911305
I'll take your redirection as a no. Please go to v where the rest of you Zoomers belong.
>>
>>10911248
Not them (have to clarify because this thread is chock full of fucking idiots more than usual)

To be honest, that was an easy time to miss. Quake needed a strong Pentium - it didn't run well on a Pentium 60Mhz even when OC'd to 90Mhz. I played a lot of Dukematch on Kali/Cases Ladder online when I wasn't doing direct dialup matches because it ran well on windows 95 at the time and at high resolution with vesa drivers. Quake was basically around single digits or low tens even in DOS at default 320x200 itself for the demo. I jumped from Duke to Quake 2. Quake 1 I skipped entirely and even played Quake 2 until I came back to QW in 2003ish when they were doing engine ports for like ezquake/fuhquake/nquake shit etc... and that was good but it was clearly an aging and dying community by that point, so the window for it was short. I played a shit ton of Q2, more than I ever did of QW, but QW is still the better game. Q2 I played some AQ2 and Lasermine CTF shit back in the day, ton of mods for it like Weapons Factory etc...

But that would make me also a stupid zoomer who doesn't have around something close to 100K hours playing FPS just because I never played Quake 1 when it was highly popular. P.S. Quake 1 was BETTER after it was popular with the new Quakeworld engines anyway. Fucking people going online with that netquake shit was garbo and Quakeworld engine itself definitely needed the work to get rid of that framerate dependent physics which was ass as fuck. Besides, bunnyhopping, the staple of Quakeworld wasn't even a thing until 98 all the high level play shit came in around post 2K and you can see that shit in demos.

Here's top play in 97.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAmNtOfpR8Q

And here's what post 2K style of play looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usZjiv_z0TU

Nearly entirely different games.
>>
>>10911314
nonsense
>>
>>10905992
>Quake in S
>Q3A higher than UT2004
My only problems honestly.
>>
>>10905992
Worst video game genre by far.
>>
>>10911374
Quake in S tier is legit.
As for UT2K4... while it's better than UT99, the problem is, UT99 mutators for UT2K4 mechanics which sort of ends up nullifying the point and UT99 runs on a tato smoothly.
UT2K4 also has hitbox alignment issues the lightning gun though that means you can miss a shot that directly hits a players head like during their jump and also some broken collision properties anyway - like this up the ass headshot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJc9WhratVo

Q3 itself doesn't have to deal with headshots, it's hitbox issues are related to the fact that the hitboxes are rectangular shaped and never not aligned to the coordinate system - thus you can enemies at angles where it's a clear miss it also means the level design has to consider different sizes based on player orientation since player width is angular dependent. Largely this is rarely ever seen in maps because usually every place is wide open and easily maneuverable though - but it does limit potential map options and was a poor choice to not align hitbox directions with player angle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IWTbniQaPk
>>
>>10906825
>Doom and Quake are basically babies for fps as well
You don't move like molasses in either of those games which gives way to how one maneuvers which plays a key part in achieving vicitory. Jumping in Quake along with the ability to properly rocket jump are essential. Moment you jump in the air in Halo you're a predictable and helpless target for hitscan weapons like the sniper rifle. On top the fact that Halo utilizes bullet magnetism since the beginning.
>>
>>10911135
>>10911248
The common complaint back then regarding Quake was that it wasn't pushing the boundaries like Duke 3D, which is true. Quake's greatest feat is the modding community that exploded immediately with full conversion mods.
>>
>>10911195
You're showing your age. You either were too young or forgot how anti-tf2 a massive chunk of the TF/TFC crowd was in 2007 when it was coming out. 99% of the TF2 community never touched its predecessors, so there's this lost in translation ire people aren't aware of for TF2.
>>
>>10911735
I had TF2 on release, I was in University. It was incredibly popular, we didn't have social media like today for retarded opinions to spread like wildfire.
>>
>>10911979
> I was in University.
So was I.
> It was incredibly popular,
Yes it was, I'm not denying that. But there was still a sizeable chunk of OG TF fans who didn't like the changes, primarily random crits, ubers, lack of grenades ect.
>>
How the hell is Doom II way below the first and 3 in the same tier as II
>>
>>10905992
First unreal is an A
Blood is an A or S
Rise of the Triad is at least a B
Sin is a B/C

The rest is whatever but there's some good stuff in there that could also be A and B
>>
>>10910174
Also noticed these were too low

I liked the first unreal too at least a B-

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.